Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

WickedHate posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, I should have seen that coming.

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka has a side A and a side B

Aww yea bkub time~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

2016 is awful but like, Abe Vigoda, sad as his passing was, seems out of place on that list?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Good Listener posted:

Aww yea bkub time~

I should warn everyone that Pop Team Epic can get pretty Cow Tools at time, but it's hilarious. So is Honey Come Chatka, which is more straight forward in it's punchlines.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

WickedHate posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, I should have seen that coming.

Pop Team Epic

Got it out of your system now?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (December 21 & 22, 1943)

I can't believe Sluggo kissraping Nancy was considered a joke back then

Life must have been terrible for females before tumblr

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vaishino posted:

2016 is awful but like, Abe Vigoda, sad as his passing was, seems out of place on that list?

Yeah, I run out of ideas despite totally forgetting Cohen.

e. And Richard Thompson of course!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 30, 2016

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I love this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That has literally happened to me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

He's pretty happy with his cuffbit.

Mary Worth

I'm actually surprised he's not younger.

Rex Morgan MD

"I said 'little morning walk,' didn't I, you little poo poo."

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Funky is smug as gently caress and Nancy is poo poo as gently caress. Nothing new under the sun?

I need a dose of Ballard Street. Let's close November with some proper lunacy!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Endless Mike posted:

That has literally happened to me.

It's the slightly redundant "It is now leaving him." that really gets me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ronan could bring in a lot of people if they went traditional. The Kree, Cap. Marvel, Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, the Titanians... pretty much any of the old school cosmic set.

I assume Spidey will stand around while Groot fixes the problem.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (August, 1915, click for big)

Illustrated Comical Joke (1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (February, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (August, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (November, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Andy Capp is sometimes not so bad and then like, okay, here's the joke it's domestic violence

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BigglesSWE posted:

Funky is smug as gently caress and Nancy is poo poo as gently caress. Nothing new under the sun?

I need a dose of Ballard Street. Let's close November with some proper lunacy!

You know what? RandomFerret has forsaken us. Now I am the poster of Just Ballard Street because I don't actually want to post Pooch Cafe!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SomeMathGuy posted:

Yeah Batiuk I'm sure McCarthy would've just let someone he accused grandstand like that, he was just so well known for his polite listening ability and patience. He was definitely undone by a well-reasoned argument and not television coverage exposing him as a petty bully. :rolleyes:

It was far better in real life when Pete Seeger refused to take the Fifth at a HUAC hearing and instead took the First:

quote:

Mr. SEEGER: I will tell you what my answer is.

I feel that in my whole life I have never done anything of any conspiratorial nature and I resent very much and very deeply the implication of being called before this Committee that in some way because my opinions may be different from yours, or yours, Mr. Willis, or yours, Mr. Scherer, that I am any less of an American than anybody else. I love my country very deeply, sir.

Chairman WALTER: Why don’t you make a little contribution toward preserving its institutions?

Mr. SEEGER: I feel that my whole life is a contribution. That is why I would like to tell you about it.

Chairman WALTER: I don’t want to hear about it.

quote:

Mr. SEEGER: I decline to discuss, under compulsion, where I have sung, and who has sung my songs, and who else has sung with me, and the people I have known. I love my country very dearly, and I greatly resent this implication that some of the places that I have sung and some of the people that I have known, and some of my opinions, whether they are religious or philosophical, or I might be a vegetarian, make me any less of an American. I will tell you about my songs, but I am not interested in telling you who wrote them, and I will tell you about my songs, and I am not interested in who listened to them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Can we please leave "girl falls and twists her ankle while fleeing danger" in the 1930s where it belongs?
No no, don't you get it? It's just "the strip’s tradition of winking throwbacks to retro sexism". It's ironic. :downs:

WickedHate posted:

Hey, so...would anyone be interested if I started posting Japanese 4koma here?
I don't know what that is, but if it's a newspaper comic then it fits the thread's topic.

WickedHate posted:

Pop Team Epic

That said, I have no idea what I'm looking at here and if you're going to post it maybe you'd like to explain it a bit?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

That said, I have no idea what I'm looking at here and if you're going to post it maybe you'd like to explain it a bit?

Like I said, PTE is very surreal at times and is often an anti joke, but I started with a recent chapter opening instead of a normal strip. Honey Come Chatka only started this year and has the smallest semblance of a narrative so I began it at...the beginning. I'll post again tomorrow.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 14, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Not that it was a house fire. It was a wild fire. Yeah, I know sometimes people build houses out in the wilds, but we saw everybody spraying water on trees and hills, not houses.

The Amazing Spider-Man

1. You'd think that in any of the Marvel Universes the first reaction a person would have to seeing a big freakin' crazy alien would be, "Uh oh! A big freakin' crazy alien! I better run away before he explodes me!" I would not think the first reaction would be suspicion of mutual attempted date rape. But maybe that's just how these two fellas like to spend an afternoon.

2. Ok, this is a Guardians of the Galaxy dude! I... didn't see that movie. (I know, I know.)

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Not that it was a house fire. It was a wild fire. Yeah, I know sometimes people build houses out in the wilds, but we saw everybody spraying water on trees and hills, not houses.

The Amazing Spider-Man

1. You'd think that in any of the Marvel Universes the first reaction a person would have to seeing a big freakin' crazy alien would be, "Uh oh! A big freakin' crazy alien! I better run away before he explodes me!" I would not think the first reaction would be suspicion of mutual attempted date rape. But maybe that's just how these two fellas like to spend an afternoon.

2. Ok, this is a Guardians of the Galaxy dude! I... didn't see that movie. (I know, I know.)
Clearly her house was in the path of the wildfire. This sort of thing is a huge problem in California.

And don't worry, he didn't look much at all like this in the movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set wants to hear everyone's angle.

Working Daze is a low bar.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows what it likes.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I realize that graphic novels are technically off-topic in this thread, but I want to mention this since there's a connection.

This is drawn by the guy who does "Retail" and "Gil", and it came out few months ago. I just finished reading it, and I consider it fantastic. One of my favorite books so far.

I recommend checking it out if you're into long-form comics. Amazon has it, as well as most stores that sells graphic novels.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 1, 2016

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Five (September 1-4, 1955)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

I am concerned that your mind first goes to " dudes trying to rape each other" when you read "Spiked our drinks".

Irony and subtlety is dead. I can never tell when people are being facetious anymore. You "spike" a drink with booze. Coffee and whiskey. An Irishmans breakfast.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (December 21 & 22, 1943)

I've been cracking up at this one panel for like 10 minutes now.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

Clearly her house was in the path of the wildfire. This sort of thing is a huge problem in California.

And don't worry, he didn't look much at all like this in the movie.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am concerned that your mind first goes to " dudes trying to rape each other" when you read "Spiked our drinks".

Irony and subtlety is dead. I can never tell when people are being facetious anymore. You "spike" a drink with booze. Coffee and whiskey. An Irishmans breakfast.

Yeah, sure, I don't know. Clearly I'm commenting poorly tonight. I think I'll just go to bed.

(Clarifying, since you can't read my tone of voice, I'm not salty, just tired.)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I'm not sure I know what was going on in those Bkub comics and it almost feels like knowing would make them less amusing.

Mark Trail Meets Literal Cliffhangers

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

So what? Just lure him into your treasure cave and wipe his memory.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

He would, but the golden fleece is at the dry cleaner's.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Tomorrow's strip has the trio discussing their favorite knobs.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nancy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Who leaves a poison flask lying around/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

What, you don't?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Todays 9CL only got a "sigh, gently caress you Brooke" out of me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Selfie is really bad at this. He didn't even loving leave town.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WickedHate posted:

What, you don't?

"Ah, skull and bones label! It must be calcium, I'd better take a sip to fortify my bones!"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nenonen posted:

"Ah, skull and bones label! It must be calcium, I'd better take a sip to fortify my bones!"

It'll really bring your bones out, takes a few years though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets Literal Cliffhangers

Ghostlight posted:

And so continues the exciting saga of Mark Trail: Fire Adventure: Woman Falling Off Things.

• Locked thread