Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Wait so hold the gently caress up I literally can't awaken CoD without some bullshit i need candy corn / karma / jars of ape cum / whatever in order to get?

Apparently I can gently caress myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Finally crafted a Shining Splendor. Only took god knows how many days of 2x Forest Shrine clears to get enough wood for everything. Thank god it's my 5th strongest attack weapon, I don't know what I would have done without out.

(the power creep is real)

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PopeCrunch posted:

Wait so hold the gently caress up I literally can't awaken CoD without some bullshit i need candy corn / karma / jars of ape cum / whatever in order to get?

We're getting an ape cum collectathon starting Friday so get your jars ready.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

also is it just me or does seeing rain or lasswell in arena teams basically translate to assured victory

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PopeCrunch posted:

also is it just me or does seeing rain or lasswell in arena teams basically translate to assured victory

Depends on your bracket I guess. I dodge Rain/Laswell teams in the top 100 because that's trap signal alpha right there.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Any time Rain is lead in my list, I click him without hesitation. I have never lost any of those matches.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah, if you're not willing to mindlessly grind horrible events to get the stupid event currency to exchange, you won't be going past 5*. It's such a lovely way to do it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Do what I did and wait for a non lovely event that you can complete easily, (FFT in my case) and grind the mats for literally every character you have or want that will ever get to 6*. Now I never have to grind mats again! Unless I get someone I wasn't expecting. This event I just need to grind mats for Refia and Garland to replenish (and add to) my supply and I'm done, aside from gigantuars and such.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
It's usually not too bad to grind, though the last event had some major bullshit in the form of the RNG refusing to spawn the metal gods that dropped the most Karma. I'm hoping this new event doesn't do that, but it may be the new norm...

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

Do what I did and wait for a non lovely event that you can complete easily, (FFT in my case) and grind the mats for literally every character you have or want that will ever get to 6*. Now I never have to grind mats again! Unless I get someone I wasn't expecting. This event I just need to grind mats for Refia and Garland to replenish (and add to) my supply and I'm done, aside from gigantuars and such.

I think that era of events has passed. As far as I can tell by JP, all events going forward are of this super-low drop rate + banner bonus unit type. It sucks. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

We're getting an ape cum collectathon starting Friday so get your jars ready.

It's also not an exploration, for those who were losing their minds over that.

Though from what I recall, it's still stingy-as-gently caress with the currency drops. Possibly worse than the BF event.

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, if you're not willing to mindlessly grind horrible events to get the stupid event currency to exchange, you won't be going past 5*. It's such a lovely way to do it.

They went from "we'll intentionally gently caress with people via drop RNG, especially global players" to "well if it's not a unique unit eh gently caress it :shrug:" in Brave Frontier over time. They're definitely looking to avoid making evolution mats a minor speed bump like in that game if nothing else. When 7* units come we'll probably see a new evo mat dungeon level for 6* material drops with 7* mats taking over the tedium. Or we'll keep the tedium and 7* will become a new unique kind of hell.

I was able to evolve my Exdeaths largely because I hadn't evolved a 6* unit since Cecil and CoD. Still up in the air on whether I'll 6* Butz or not. I probably should, maybe. All that XP he needs from 3* though... :effort:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I think that era of events has passed. As far as I can tell by JP, all events going forward are of this super-low drop rate + banner bonus unit type. It sucks. :(

This actually kind of makes me want to quit altogether. These events are poo poo.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

When 7* units come we'll probably see a new evo mat dungeon level for 6* material drops with 7* mats taking over the tedium. Or we'll keep the tedium and 7* will become a new unique kind of hell.

Awakening - Elite. 25 Energy, drops two random 6* mats and trash mats. Sacred Crystals are not on the drop table, Holy Crystals are. :gumi:

e: not serious please don't read this post gumi

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's also not an exploration, for those who were losing their minds over that.

Thank RNGesus.

Go RV! posted:

This actually kind of makes me want to quit altogether. These events are poo poo.

Yea... I do appreciate that events like these help people add some variety to their companion units but the drop rates and relying on RNG spawns sucks rear end.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
The last even wasn't so bad, once everyone had their Elzas tricked out...and you weren't going for all of the abilities...or the trust moogle...or all of the tickets. :v:

Basically get the cactaurs, the cheap 6* mats, and get outta dodge.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tagichatn posted:

You're probably more likely to pull a Zidane than a Gilgamesh. Also there's a 3* at some point with a dagger that grants dual wield.

im not sure that 0 is a bigger number than 0, to be honest with you

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Since we don't know whether or not Lightning will count for the bonus in this event, how terrible of an idea is it to try and 11 pull at the beginning of the banner? I've got around 6k lapis and maybe 40% of the story missions left to farm. I got lucky with the last event by pulling Elza fairly early on, but even with using her and taking an Elza friend every run I still barely got enough karma to buy everything a few hours before it was all over.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
It's a trap, the banner sucks. Don't do it!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Lightning had better get a bonus in this event, it'll make having pulled a second one actually worthwhile.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

:smug:

But no, I kitted her out like this for your Antonella needs (I have a second Bracer), feel free to gimme a yell on Discord if I don't have you added and I'll make room.

And yeah, I actually don't have anything better than Demonic Life yet. Working on Maxwell and Karl.

e: and she's on Ifrit for another Plant Killer.

Dana Crysalis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 30, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It sucks that they're probably doing this bonus unit thing for all the future collection events, but at the very least this one has a 3* base unit on it, so you can just grab a Sazh or two to make the grind bearable. The BF event's units were all 4* and up

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
The FF5 event is still good through next thursday correct?

Still gotta beat Elt. The 1st Gilgamesh was easy, the 2nd one not so much.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Dana Crysalis posted:

:smug:

But no, I kitted her out like this for your Antonella needs (I have a second Bracer), feel free to gimme a yell on Discord if I don't have you added and I'll make room.

And yeah, I actually don't have anything better than Demonic Life yet. Working on Maxwell and Karl.

e: and she's on Ifrit for another Plant Killer.

The ATK +10% recipe is in the water temple silver chest.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Shoenin posted:

The FF5 event is still good through next thursday correct?

Still gotta beat Elt. The 1st Gilgamesh was easy, the 2nd one not so much.

I believe until the 8th. Hopefully I can get Cecil to 100 by then to try again after about 10 failures on elite.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ok so, I just got Barrage for my Dark Knight Cecil. He's currently at 455 ATK, and I'm shoving him full of all my ATK pots as I get them.

I'm working on Dual Wield for him, and that shouldn't take too long at all with my 60% worth of Moogles waiting.

969098268 if you want to get on the murderboat. Always room for goons.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Cause I won the right to go first...

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Cartoon Man posted:

The ATK +10% recipe is in the water temple silver chest.

Yeah, I know, but I've been busy TMing. It's not that important when I have Maxwell and Karl coming down soon.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
So are TM macros more or less required to be anything but a scrub? And they don't like ban folks for it?

I started a while ago casually, but I have 6* Exdeath, Cecil and Refia now, and waiting on mats for CoD and Gilgamesh (I got really lucky, which is nice, he is my favorite FF character.) I am just feeling a bit cagey about botting.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Gumi has responded to players a bunch of times saying they don't care about macroing so bot away. They do care about messing with game files though.

Whether you have the stomach for it is a personal call. We get a decent amount of Trust Moogles nowadays so you can still get a TMR every few months without actually resorting to grinding/botting.

Up to this point, I've cleared all content just fine without TMs. But you will need really strong friends to carry you.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

LizardBeam posted:

So are TM macros more or less required to be anything but a scrub? And they don't like ban folks for it?

I started a while ago casually, but I have 6* Exdeath, Cecil and Refia now, and waiting on mats for CoD and Gilgamesh (I got really lucky, which is nice, he is my favorite FF character.) I am just feeling a bit cagey about botting.

You can clear pretty much all the content in the game without macros, the harder stuff, you may need strong friends.

You don't have to macro at all. I've just finished my first TM reward as an F2P and I've been able to clear every piece of content in the game except for that last Maxwell event, and that was just because I didn't leave myself enough time.

Gumi has said they don't care about it, but they won't support it at all.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

LizardBeam posted:

It is entirely possible to be a manual player, here is my A team and I've never once macroed.

But I will admit to dropping cash in the Lapis store once or twice.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

It is entirely possible to be a manual player, here is my A team and I've never once macroed.

But I will admit to dropping cash in the Lapis store once or twice.

Not to mention getting pretty drat lucky with your pulls!

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I had this crazy Refia 5v1 arena match the other day: http://imgur.com/a/fcTiY

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dualcast yaaay. now i dont know if i want to farm ignus' tm for exdeath or some magic +30% or maxwells tm

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Monthly rankings just reset.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
huh, so they did

Also Im totally cheering that one whale guy with the Rydia leader in the top 10. GO YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 1, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I burned all 5 arena orbs early against a guy who was rank #157 or so. His team was a solo 6* Butz that was still in the process of being leveled. :getin:

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Monthly rankings just reset.

I found out a couple hours before the reset, and just had enough time to rank up + refill once to put me into the top monthly 3k. Definitely thought it was going to be tomorrow. Probably not the only one.

Overall, fewer 4-5x lightning teams than I expected (fought 3 teams like this since arena started.) Surprisingly few exdeath teams for that matter, most I saw was 2 on one team. Usually it's a rather boring mix of one luneth, lightning, greg, cecil, exdeath and/or elza.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I finally got my 3 recent 3 star pulls to 5 stars each so I have 4 5 star characters on my team! (CoD, Faris, Exdeath and Elza who was already 5 star). Lenna is still 3 but I'll work on her next. These Black Friday bundles have been helpful.

Question - what are the mechanics of the rewards based on who I am choosing to fight in the arena? If I choose someone lower rank, equal, or higher rank are the rewards different? I am not seeing too much difference but maybe I am missing something. Should I just be choosing the scrubbiest opponent that I have from the choices each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The score and medals you get is affected by your opponent's multiplier. At most you'll get 14 medals from a win, not sure if the minimum is higher than 1 or not. The streak bonus for score maxes out pretty quickly too. If you aren't trying to get in to the top 3k (or 30k as a newer player) then the higher multipler for more medals is the only real appeal since it lets you fill out the reward boards faster.

• Locked thread