Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GimmickMan posted:

I would like IBO a lot more if Kudelia was half as effective as Lacus Clyne.

Her presence at CGS made Gjallarhorn overplay their hand, leading to the creation of Tekkadan. She inspired the Dort uprising and the other colony uprisings that followed, and allowed a pro-Mars/anti-Gjallarhorn guy to take control of one of the economic blocks. She showed that Gjallarhorn was not invincible, and created the space for McGillis to start his internal purge. Kudelia is the driving force behind the entire first season, even if it's mostly because of what she represents more than her actual actions.

Don't get me wrong, the show would've been a lot better if she'd given Mika a secret super Gundam that could fly and shoot six laser beams at once, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
IBO is a sign that japan should stop trying to make Gundam in the US a thing and stick to UC

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why does it have bad ratings?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, you could also argue that Mika being this unstoppable monster is also part of the show's themes. He's the incarnation of the nightmare beneath the surface of the world, the deadly energies unleashed by the Calamity War and buried by Gjallarhorn. As they decay and lose their grip on the solar system, their increasingly poor and desperate subjects begin to find new value in the powers they tried to banish, until one day you have someone angry and fanatical enough to subject themselves to three doses of dangerous, forgotten cybernetic surgery with a 6/10 survival rate (that's a 21.6% survival rate for all three), hook their brain up to an eighteen-metre-tall war machine that gives them miniature strokes through information overload, and carve a swathe through a solar system that's tried to forget all that. From this perspective, it makes sense that the poor and downtrodden would have the most chance at access to the seriously lethal poo poo - if society was working properly where they are, it would all be safely locked away, and nobody would be desperate or stupid enough to do the horrible things to themselves that would require them to get the most out of it. A stable, peaceful world has no need of or desire for something like the Alaya-Vijnana System.

I absolutely understand that but I think (especially in S1) it's at cross-purposes with Tekkadan as a thematic entity.

They are dangerous not because they're strong but because they're desperate, creative and don't give a poo poo about rules. Whiskers are and should be a part of that but Whiskers became such a central part of it in S1 that it eclipsed everything else. I was particularly disappointed that Barbatos only loosely stuck to its concept of "a strong frame they desperately try to keep running" in favor of basically getting fixed up and maybe they slap some extra stuff on for shits and giggles. Mika just being Strong feels like it devalues why a Tekkadan is dangerous. not merely because they stumbled across a Gundam but because they're forged in reality compared to Gjallerhorn's noble bullshit. IBO leans too hard on Mika being strong and Gjallerhorn being literally cartoonishly incompetent in S1 and I think it weakens it.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Her presence at CGS made Gjallarhorn overplay their hand, leading to the creation of Tekkadan. She inspired the Dort uprising and the other colony uprisings that followed, and allowed a pro-Mars/anti-Gjallarhorn guy to take control of one of the economic blocks. She showed that Gjallarhorn was not invincible, and created the space for McGillis to start his internal purge. Kudelia is the driving force behind the entire first season, even if it's mostly because of what she represents more than her actual actions.

Don't get me wrong, the show would've been a lot better if she'd given Mika a secret super Gundam that could fly and shoot six laser beams at once, but still.

The way you described it made me mentally compare her to Laplace's Box.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tae posted:

IBO is a sign that japan should stop trying to make Gundam in the US a thing and stick to UC

UC Re:0096 is set to follow IBO on Toonami and I predict no-one will give a poo poo about that either.

edit: beaten yesterday.

e2: you cannot kill that which is already dead.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 1, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I'd rather have a 15 seconds fight once every 5 episodes with characters I like that has a point than 15 minutes of every episode needing to be filled with a meaningless fight to sell more toys.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

Actually it's a sign that there should more Canada in Gundam

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess the better question for IBO is:

how much stock animation have we seen? Cause sweet Christmas, I actually like Gundam Wing and that show regurgitated action scenes like it was a fun pasttime. I hear Gundam SEED is even worse, which I have a hard time even imagining. Before we discuss "are the fights interesting," I'd rather talk about whether or not the fights are good looking. Which they are.

I see a lot of complaints about Naze, and I understand em. Personally, I feel like the truth behind his creepy rear end harem is that he claims all the women for shock value and reputation, when the reality is it's more just a ship crewed by women that escaped the dirtier poo poo of the Mars mafia. There are girls/women who pine for him, sure, but the only harem we ever actually see is...three or so women? Not saying that's any better, but it's certainly not nearly as bad as an entire ship of sex partners. Of course, this is all poo poo I tell myself when I watch, and I doubt the show will ever bother elaborating on the issue. Naze strikes me as a character the staff of IBO decided was a good guy way too late in the process; would have been easy to fix up the Hammerhead crew situation if they had tried to.

I'm not going to go so far as to say IBO is a perfect show by any means; anyone who was turned off by the end of season 1, I totally get that. It was hilariously botched, plain and simple. But I enjoy the characters in that I recognize what they're good at, what they're bad at, and I am intensely interested in seeing where they all wind up.

Anywho, sad to hear about IBO's ratings, but on the other hand I'm shocked anyone looks to anime to bring in ratings in the US anymore. The internet took the industry even before streaming became a thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Anywho, sad to hear about IBO's ratings, but on the other hand I'm shocked anyone looks to anime to bring in ratings in the US anymore. The internet took the industry even before streaming became a thing.

Adult Swim publishes their ratings and while it's not the highest rated thing on Toonami it's far from the lowest. It's doing pretty alright by the standard of anime being broadcast on US TV in 2016.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a couple of major news articles about Edmonton being used as the setting for the finale, and the city's general consensus was that it was pretty cool to be worthy of getting trashed by giant robots :allears:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

There's already plenty of Canada in Gundam. Everyone in Wing and the Toonami Dub of 0079 is Canadian, as are most of the actors in SEED.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Amuro is canonically Canadian and no one can ever take that away from me

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not Dave posted:

The way you described it made me mentally compare her to Laplace's Box.

That's more or less what I was going for, thank you. She's got an important role and what matters to the story is that she's there but I wish she did things, like when she negotiated safe passage at the end of the Dort colony arc.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Amuro is canonically Canadian and no one can ever take that away from me

Doesn't the Origin make his hometown somewhere in Mexico?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The Origin and the anime/movies have nothing to do with each other.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Belzac posted:

The Origin and the anime/movies have nothing to do with each other.

I'm pretty sure they have some relation.

Otherwise somebody's getting sued.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They have as much relation as the 500 different universes of Spider-Man have to do with each other.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Origin is cool but anything that makes Amuro less Canadian is factually incorrect and also Illegal.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Don't forget about Lumber Gundam!

I'm telling ya, that Nolan Patrick kid is something else, eh?
_________________________/

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tae posted:

If anything, IBO is a sign they can do good poo poo without sticking to UC.

But I guess that means we might end up with stuff more like G-Reco and I immediately regret that thought.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If anything, IBO is a sign they can do good poo poo without sticking to UC.

But I guess that means we might end up with stuff more like G-Reco and I immediately regret that thought.

Except G-Reco is a UC followup, if a distant one. No need for regret there.

IBO's pretty good so far. Not perfect, but season 1's a solid 7 or 8 out of ten, and season 2 is, so far, a pretty solid improvement in almost every regard. Assuming they don't totally gently caress up, which is seeming less likely with every episode, it's looking like it'll end up one of the best Gundam settings.

I mean, not Turn A, but Tomino couldn't make another Turn A. Best to let shows stand or fall on their own.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So loving surreal to drive down that street on vacation right after the episode ended.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I wish we had Amuro and stereotypical Lumberjack.

UK Gundam pilots are dying cheaters being covered by their wives or Yazan. Which is a good and bad thing I suppose.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spelling Mitsake posted:

He is also perfect, yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wish we had Amuro and stereotypical Lumberjack.

UK Gundam pilots are dying cheaters being covered by their wives or Yazan. Which is a good and bad thing I suppose.

Meanwhile, the USA gets half the cast of Turn A (Including Loran, assuming naturalized immigrants count), Chibodee, most of the cast of X, Chibodee, Graham Aker...

Pretty solid pool, on the whole, even accounting for SEED dragging things down.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always thought Duo was supposed to be a Space American so you can add him to that list.

Then there was Wufei being Space Chinese and Heero being Space Japanese.

Are there a lot of Chinese Gundam characters? The little kid from G and Wufei are all I can think of.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I always thought Duo was supposed to be a Space American so you can add him to that list.

Then there was Wufei being Space Chinese and Heero being Space Japanese.

Are there a lot of Chinese Gundam characters? The little kid from G and Wufei are all I can think of.

There were some in Zeta and ZZ. Fa, if her name isn't a fakeout.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I said half of Gundam is Canadian I was making a joke about how a bunch of the shows were dubbed by the ocean group and are therefore Canadian. Duo is American but Scott McNeil is Canadian and has a cowboy hat glued to his head.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

When I said half of Gundam is Canadian I was making a joke about how a bunch of the shows were dubbed by the ocean group and are therefore Canadian. Duo is American but Scott McNeil is Canadian and has a cowboy hat glued to his head.

Canadians are just genetically better voice actors

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Tae posted:

I'm confused on how these are related.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Canadians are just genetically better voice actors

More like genetically cheaper voice actors

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Droyer posted:

More like genetically cheaper voice actors

Animators $200
Voices $150
Robots $800
Bad Names $3,600
Toys $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my franchise is dying

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll never forget Scott's bit part in an episode of Highlander: The Series. It was really strange hearing his very distinctive voice come out of an actual person instead of an anime.

And yeah, I like that Ocean did most of Gundam's voicework. You don't hear them in enough anime anymore. It's why David Kaye moved to greener pastures.

The fact Blue Water did G Gundam and Zeta is also kinda neat because they're even less represented. Sadly, the only recurring VA from that time seems to be Four. (not that I'm complaining, I really liked Four's dub voice-actress)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Animators $200
Voices $150
Robots $800
Bad Names $3,600
Toys $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my franchise is dying

The problem is you're investing too much in animation and not enough in bad names.

Citation: Gundam SEED.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't want to wait until next fall to see this.
Compare the Zaku II shot at the end of this trailer to the beginning of episode 1.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 3, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holy poo poo have they gotten good with their CGI.
Oh no they're animating a really sad part. :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Oh no they're animating a really sad part. :smith:

It's only the largest atrocity in human history. Only about 8 billion people dead within a week. No biggie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doing Origin as a bunch of movies instead of half hour episodes is fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Compare the Zaku II shot at the end of this trailer to the beginning of episode 1.

how many origin films/ovas are completed, and how many more are they planning?