Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't get to the glut of exp part of the game yet. Still getting trounced in lair branches . Once I went into elf lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

YO

code:

800043 Stoats the Sniper (level 27, -18/190 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Nov 28, 2016.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Demolished by a white very ugly thing (19 damage)
             ... while paralysed by a floating eye
             ... in Pandemonium on Nov 29, 2016.
             The game lasted 03:10:29 (75407 turns).
Floating eyes are significant even when you're stomping through Pan!
edit: Woah I was just over 3 hours, dang.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

YO

code:

Turns out smite-targeted paralyze that doesn't check MR is pretty dangerous, huh. :rip:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Darox posted:

Honestly with any berserker you can just turn fighting/armour/dodging on and focus your weapon skill at the start then leave it like that for the entire game and do fine.

Treat riposte as a nice bonus rather than a significant source of damage. In a recent 15 rune win I got the ring of shaolin early (so had lots of free EV) AND got the fencer gloves (so I had a much higher riposte chance) but in the end I still only something like 1 riposte for every 10 sword swings that game. The damage increase from extra ev is really tiny.

OTOH Dodging skill is always useful and a MiBe has a glut of xp since you don't need any invo/stealth/casting, so get some even if you're wearing heavy armour. Looking at the blue skill cost numbers can help you balance things out.

You can clear the Lair branches with auto-skilling if you're a MiFi with a low-investment god or a MiBe. Skill allocation is pretty forgiving for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm over thinking it then

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but if you're going to do lazy skilling you might as well do the 20/40/20/20 manual training split. Never have to change it, never leak experience into throwing/evo/bows/stealth. If you're feeling fancy you can include shields briefly and if you're doing extended your weapon will max out but otherwise you can win berserker games like that without any issue. Source: I did this to get my <3 hour TeBe win, and if I can do it while blindly hammering tab as fast as possible anyone can.

tote up a bags posted:

code:
Don't forget to always respect unique demon lords, even if it is mnoleg. Even he has one gimmick that can get you if you let him, and he got you good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fighting / weapon / armor / evasion?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah. You can occasionally swap in Evo or Throwing if you're using them a lot.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

chukamok posted:

Thanks to Haifisch for setting up City Name Crawl Team. I had a lot of fun this tournament, this is the first time I got 2 wins. I might have gotten another, but time ran out. Congrats to Haifisch and araganzar for the multiple wins. I enjoyed spectating some of your games.

I actually got to spectate someone get Nature's Ally 3. That was crazy fun to watch, but I don't think I will ever attempt it.

See you around.

Quote necromancy but I've been radio silent for a while, wanted to say thanks for the team contributions and for showing up in chat a few times, it's nice to have a little sympathy/distraction when you're grinding out a frustrating game. I played really poorly the last half of the tourney thanks to being on a laptop with a 13" screen and no numpad. I just can't make myself use the keys like b and n to move or I hit the wrong one and splat myself running into trouble.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Araganzar posted:

Quote necromancy but I've been radio silent for a while, wanted to say thanks for the team contributions and for showing up in chat a few times, it's nice to have a little sympathy/distraction when you're grinding out a frustrating game. I played really poorly the last half of the tourney thanks to being on a laptop with a 13" screen and no numpad. I just can't make myself use the keys like b and n to move or I hit the wrong one and splat myself running into trouble.

I use a hosed up combo of arrow keys, letters, and numbers but the concept of using the numberpad is totally alien to me. Tab + o is the usualy death sentence for me, especially if I get a nice axe.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 29, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

code:
 B - the ring "Rolir" {rCorr rPois rN+++ Str+4 Int-5}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon) 
Int-5 kinda ruins it for my air elementalist though..

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

euphronius posted:

I'm over thinking it then
if you're dying in lair branches, retreat/lure to stairs more.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Is there a list of spells anywhere that tells me if they're good or bad? I feel like I have a lot of trouble starting spellcasters because I don't know what spells to pick up.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

My problem with spellcasters usually involves never finding a new book that isn't opposite elements from what I have, or some branch of magic that isn't used at all for what I'm trying. Then on my melee no-magic style guys I could open a library. Someone better at spellcasters could probably put some useful stuff about what spells you should be wanting to use once you're hitting lair and that first monster difficulty spike. Maybe also how they dish out skill points.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
The +3 ring mail 'Inplexi' {Str-4 Int+7 Slay+6}

It's a nice slay and good for going hybrid but the -4 strength on my axe dude... :(

Is slay better than strength, bonus to bonus wise?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In terms of damage? Yes, by a bunch.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
sigh

Decided to just go for the orb since I was running low on permafood and didn't notice a tormentor on the outskirts of a pack until I'd already melted

Closest I've come to a win yet!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

paper bag with a face posted:

Is there a list of spells anywhere that tells me if they're good or bad? I feel like I have a lot of trouble starting spellcasters because I don't know what spells to pick up.

Until you know what you're doing with a specific combination, get everything in your starting book, in order. When you find a new book, utility spells (repel Missiles, Regeneration, Blink, Apportation, etc.) can be good but I'm generally not in a rush to get new killing methods (summons on a Conjurer). Only break that rule when your book isn't handling things due to resists/power (Wz for me - I can't always kill things in Lair with it - though I'd probably just support it with melee. FE and VM can have this happen more, hopefully you get some other conjuration if you're playing that style).

ZypherIM posted:

My problem with spellcasters usually involves never finding a new book that isn't opposite elements from what I have, or some branch of magic that isn't used at all for what I'm trying. Then on my melee no-magic style guys I could open a library. Someone better at spellcasters could probably put some useful stuff about what spells you should be wanting to use once you're hitting lair and that first monster difficulty spike. Maybe also how they dish out skill points.

If the spells are high enough level and share Conj or such, that can be a really good find. For example getting any non-fire Bolt on a Fire Elementalist. Yes it will take more training but it will mean there are fewer things you have to melee / avoid.

Skill advice will vary in specifics between games due to aptitudes, finds, etc. But a general appraoch for a HEFE or something: At the start of the game I like to get around 6 spellcasting and in my spell schools Less if the school is only used for a spell or two, such as Hexes on a Cj. This probably has you covered for everything except the last spell (Fireball), now you have to decide how much you want fireball vs fighting/dodging, or a weapon skill - if you found an enchanted weapon of any type it might be worth getting say 4-6 skill there, I'd also want to start on Dodging. If it's particularly good (say an electric long sword for the HE) you could get more melee, but probably I would prefer to make fireball more reliable, something like 10 conj/fire and then get Fighting and more Dodging.

When going into lair, think about the most common threats. Do you have a reasonable way to kill Spiny Frogs, herds of fat Ys, and hydrae? You can run from hydrae and break up packs of Ys but if you have to do both all the time it will get exhausting and if you are like me you will get frustrated when one trouble leads to another and end up doing something dumb. So the HEFE will use Conjure Flame to put monsters in trouble, then sticky flame and melee them. For both groups and hydrae, Fireball will also work but you have to watch for noise - try to run back towards known area some. You probably won't be able to fight hydrae toe-to-toe comfortably, even with a flaming scimitar. But you might be able to pillardance and remove heads slowly, if it comes to that (regen to full HP before each swing, and only risk this if your attacks are at 1.0 delay).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

Maybe you're trying too hard to stick to a linear path. I've been splatting HuAEs for a few days now, and my last one was running around with a trident, shield, and ice dragon scales by D5. I was gonna cast with him eventually, but I deviated for a while in the name of survivability.

I died a really stupid death on D6 though so maybe ignore me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bats are probably the most annoying enemy in this game and I would not be sad at all if they were removed. Trying to kill those things early on is so tedious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3evoHORfw

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bats are probably the most annoying enemy in this game and I would not be sad at all if they were removed. Trying to kill those things early on is so tedious.

Hold tab until you win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Hold tab until you win.

Alternate walk away a step and tab.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

So many bad ideas, the foremost being blinking into an unknown vault rather than just safely tabbing the elephants from across the lava

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Hold tab until you win.

Which inevitably drags you into Sigmund's line of sight as the little bastard dances away from you.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

Which inevitably drags you into Sigmund's line of sight as the little bastard dances away from you.

I hold Tab when I see Sigmund too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tabbed into a titanic slime

Not smart.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Tabbing is basically the quickest way to finish a game in every conceivable manner.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yup

My games finish v quickly

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

1 hp should be enough for anybody

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FR: 1 HP species

Oh wait, that's Felids :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How soon we forget the tengu

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Had an awesome shield which reflected spells. Felt spunky. Got mauled by 10 sirens in shoals.

Should have teleported but fatalism took over

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Serephina posted:

So many bad ideas, the foremost being blinking into an unknown vault rather than just safely tabbing the elephants from across the lava
go big or go home

you should watch my thorn god game where I berserked with 2 HP next to an OoF and survived

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Poison Mushroom posted:

How soon we forget the tengu
Hey, they ain't that bad. Just -20% health. Puts them on par with Gargoyles, Deep Elves, and Kobolds.

Freaking cats with their -40%(!) hp are compelety miserable and I don't care how many lives you get they are awful to play. Give them freaking hats and capes already or two sets of boots.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

World Famous W posted:

two sets of boots.
That would be amazing and I support it 100%.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a monkey's hand wish. Two slots for boots but the game specifically is programmed to never find them when you're a Felid. And without code diving, you would never know.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Puss in Boots class only available to felids. Starts with two pairs of boots.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Poison Mushroom posted:

That would be amazing and I support it 100%.
Imagine a felid with two sets of Boots of Running, swiftness, and a bottle of haste. Would never see that bastard again when it took off.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, but man I want to get a felid who lucks out into Robust 3 and Rugged Scales 3. Be nice to be at near baseline hp on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You put on the +2 Felid Barding of Ponderousness. You feel sluggish.

• Locked thread