Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Hey, guys?

Here's a Kingdom Death Thread.

It can be a focal point for all dicklion-based discussion.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

signalnoise posted:

This

Is less exploitative than this

The second one isn't too bad once you wipe the blood out and stitch some broons and a basketball to serve as limbs and head.

Bedlamdan posted:

I didn't even buy off the old one. Stop giving away money, whoever this is :ohdear:

Ettin, i-is that you?

Give me an av certificate so I can buy myself the dancing awesome face again. It's a better use than two of those in a row.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
As a for real alive human being who has played Kingdom Death on multiple occasions, I implore people not to back it. Not because it normalises sexual violence, not because it mistakes titties and eating poo poo for mature themes and not because it's full of dumb gross out sex and violence (although those are also good reasons not to back it, and I will judge you for backing a game like that), but because it is a terrible, trash fire game for garbage babies. The game is badly designed and not fun to play.

It confuses mechanical difficulty for randomness. Literally every non-combat roll in the game works like this: 1-3 you get seriously hosed over, probably die; 4-8 nothing good happens, if you are lucky something bad won't happen; 9-10 something mildly rewarding happens. There is no way to meaningfully mitigate risk or modify rolls. The only way to mitigate against randomness at all is to have spare survivors. It sucks and it disincentivises actually engaging with the game's events.

The boss fights are OK, but you repeat them so often they become tedious and repetitive quickly. Also, sometimes you hit a trap card and TPK instantly. You cannot ever win instantly, by contrast. The combat is slow, and has too much detail in the wrong places. Maybe on a computer it would be better, but processing by hand is a pain in the balls.

The game wishes it was low level basic D&D, or a roguelike. Unlike those games, time just keeps progressing, and the difficulty (read how bad the random numbers gently caress you) increase even as you lose key survivors.

It's bad and lovely, get a better game - for real, I'm trying to help you here.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Give me an av certificate so I can buy myself the dancing awesome face again. It's a better use than two of those in a row.

I am a victim of badly convoluted mind games, here.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mugaaz posted:

You really think so?

Yes because I'm not a pedantic weirdo grasping at straws

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Westfalia has a new halfling project up and funded

Also this guy is making some cool MDF templates for foam cutters to make your own modular hex terrain

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Also this guy is making some cool MDF templates for foam cutters to make your own modular hex terrain

That looks like so much work

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ominous Jazz posted:

Mother fucker are you about to start digging into Kingdom Death and the deep artistic merit of the titty monster or do you have nothing more to say than "Heironymus Bosch painted Satan's butthole for the church so please stop making fun of me" because that is a busted rear end comparison to make and you know it

Make fun of me? I'm not a KD purchaser.

I just think the notion of decrying someone buying titty monster figurines as evil and assuming some moral highground from which to piss down upon the others as ridiculous at best, and the quantity of vitriol is radically disproportionate to the maximum potential of evil in purchasing a titty monster.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

thefakenews posted:

It's bad and lovely, get a better game - for real, I'm trying to help you here.

Ah that's a shame. All this don't buy it because of gross was making me want it even more, out of spite, and the concept is so appealing. I'll have to watch that video Mugaaz mentioned.

Still want that Dung beetle knight.

NTRabbit posted:

Westfalia has a new halfling project up and funded

Those halflings look great, like straight out of when warhammer fantasy models looked good. Shame I have an irrational fear of resin.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I played once and it took an entire evening to do setup & one fight. It was a deer with man-hands that charged huge distances at us as my guy slowly, slowly moved between healing ferns.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
That intangible malignity which has been
from the beginning; to whose dominion even the modern Christians ascribe
one-half of the worlds; which the ancient Ophites of the east reverenced
in their statue devil;--Ahab did not fall down and worship it like them;
but deliriously transferring its idea to the abhorred white whale, he
pitted himself, all mutilated, against it. All that most maddens and
torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice
in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle
demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly
personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick. He piled upon
the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt
by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a
mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Winson_Paine posted:

That intangible malignity which has been
from the beginning; to whose dominion even the modern Christians ascribe
one-half of the worlds; which the ancient Ophites of the east reverenced
in their statue devil;--Ahab did not fall down and worship it like them;
but deliriously transferring its idea to the abhorred white whale, he
pitted himself, all mutilated, against it. All that most maddens and
torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice
in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle
demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly
personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick. He piled upon
the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt
by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a
mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.

Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Gutter Owl posted:

Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

“This, shipmates, this is that other lesson; and woe to that pilot of the living God who slights it. Woe to him whom this world charms from Gospel duty! Woe to him who seeks to pour oil upon the waters when God has brewed them into a gale! Woe to him who seeks to please rather than to appal! Woe to him whose good name is more to him than goodness! Woe to him who, in this world, courts not dishonour! Woe to him who would not be true, even though to be false were salvation! Yea, woe to him who, as the great Pilot Paul has it, while preaching to others is himself a castaway!”
He dropped and fell away from himself for a moment; then lifting his face to them again, showed a deep joy in his eyes, as he cried out with a heavenly enthusiasm,—“But oh! shipmates! on the starboard hand of every woe, there is a sure delight; and higher the top of that delight, than the bottom of the woe is deep. Is not the main-truck higher than the kelson is low? Delight is to him—a far, far upward, and inward delight—who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self. Delight is to him whose strong arms yet support him, when the ship of this base treacherous world has gone down beneath him. Delight is to him, who gives no quarter in the truth, and kills, burns, and destroys all sin though he pluck it out from under the robes of Senators and Judges. Delight,—top-gallant delight is to him, who acknowledges no law or lord, but the Lord his God, and is only a patriot to heaven. Delight is to him, whom all the waves of the billows of the seas of the boisterous mob can never shake from this sure Keel of the Ages. And eternal delight and deliciousness will be his, who coming to lay him down, can say with his final breath—O Father!—chiefly known to me by Thy rod—mortal or immortal, here I die. I have striven to be Thine, more than to be this world’s, or mine own. Yet this is nothing: I leave eternity to Thee; for what is man that he should live out the lifetime of his God?”

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

I like that Kingdom Death exists because it makes me feel better about my qualified, grudging defense of the conan boardgame. I mean, it puts things into perspective, a little.

Had you stepped on board the Pequod at a certain juncture of this post-mortemizing of the whale; and had you strolled forward nigh the windlass, pretty sure am I that you would have scanned with no small curiosity a very strange, enigmatical object, which you would have seen there, lying along lengthwise in the lee scuppers. Not the wondrous cistern in the whale’s huge head; not the prodigy of his unhinged lower jaw; not the miracle of his symmetrical tail; none of these would so surprise you, as half a glimpse of that unaccountable cone,—longer than a Kentuckian is tall, nigh a foot in diameter at the base, and jet-black as Yojo, the ebony idol of Queequeg. And an idol, indeed, it is; or, rather, in old times, its likeness was. Such an idol as that found in the secret groves of Queen Maachah in Judea; and for worshipping which, King Asa, her son, did depose her, and destroyed the idol, and burnt it for an abomination at the brook Kedron, as darkly set forth in the 15th chapter of the First Book of Kings.
Look at the sailor, called the mincer, who now comes along, and assisted by two allies, heavily backs the grandissimus, as the mariners call it, and with bowed shoulders, staggers off with it as if he were a grenadier carrying a dead comrade from the field. Extending it upon the forecastle deck, he now proceeds cylindrically to remove its dark pelt, as an African hunter the pelt of a boa. This done he turns the pelt inside out, like a pantaloon leg; gives it a good stretching, so as almost to double its diameter; and at last hangs it, well spread, in the rigging, to dry. Ere long, it is taken down; when removing some three feet of it, towards the pointed extremity, and then cutting two slits for arm-holes at the other end, he lengthwise slips himself bodily into it. The mincer now stands before you invested in the full canonicals of his calling. Immemorial to all his order, this investiture alone will adequately protect him, while employed in the peculiar functions of his office.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Next time they do a Moby Dick film, they should cast Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, because that would amuse me for at least ten seconds longer than the last few pages of this thread managed to impress me.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Golden Bee posted:

I played once and it took an entire evening to do setup & one fight. It was a deer with man-hands that charged huge distances at us as my guy slowly, slowly moved between healing ferns.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Monsterhearts 2 is in its last 48 hours. I imagine most everybody who can and will support it already has, but you could be a dork like me that waffled.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/way-of-the-fighter-0?ref=nav_search

Way of Fighter failed the first time, made it the second time! Still doesn't look like a good game. Seriously get Exceed or Battlecon instead.

EDIT: Soda pop transitioned from "nothing is exclusive" to "here is some exclusive items" pretty quickly and it is crappy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The reason why it has already funded is because 23,000 of the money they raised is through pledging of the 120 dollar version of the game with miniatures. This is 4,000 shy of the 27,000 total pledge when they first ran the campaign. As well as that, they lowered the funding goal to 20,000 from an original goal of 30,000. They have also lowered the cost of the base, non-miniature game by 5 dollars (or 10 dollars if you get both super and turbo).

This is actually quite interesting because it shows how willing people are to give money to companies as long as miniatures are involved, no matter the quality of the game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tekopo posted:

This is actually quite interesting because it shows how willing people are to give money to companies as long as miniatures are involved, no matter the quality of the game.

Or the quality of the miniatures really

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
You know, I saw how many new posts there were in this thread since my last visit and I just knew it would be people choosing to die for some inexplicable reason on the hill of Kingdom Death.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Someone is making an RPG based on an old cartoon from the 1e DMG.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Looks like they already have a recorded session ready-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0li4ZnBK0T4&t=72s

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Whoa. Looks like Blades in the Dark is actually done, or really near to it. Printing is planned for 2Q 2017, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

Had you stepped on board the Pequod at a certain juncture of this post-mortemizing of the whale; and had you strolled forward nigh the windlass, pretty sure am I that you would have scanned with no small curiosity a very strange, enigmatical object, which you would have seen there, lying along lengthwise in the lee scuppers. Not the wondrous cistern in the whale’s huge head; not the prodigy of his unhinged lower jaw; not the miracle of his symmetrical tail; none of these would so surprise you, as half a glimpse of that unaccountable cone,—longer than a Kentuckian is tall, nigh a foot in diameter at the base, and jet-black as Yojo, the ebony idol of Queequeg. And an idol, indeed, it is; or, rather, in old times, its likeness was. Such an idol as that found in the secret groves of Queen Maachah in Judea; and for worshipping which, King Asa, her son, did depose her, and destroyed the idol, and burnt it for an abomination at the brook Kedron, as darkly set forth in the 15th chapter of the First Book of Kings.
Look at the sailor, called the mincer, who now comes along, and assisted by two allies, heavily backs the grandissimus, as the mariners call it, and with bowed shoulders, staggers off with it as if he were a grenadier carrying a dead comrade from the field. Extending it upon the forecastle deck, he now proceeds cylindrically to remove its dark pelt, as an African hunter the pelt of a boa. This done he turns the pelt inside out, like a pantaloon leg; gives it a good stretching, so as almost to double its diameter; and at last hangs it, well spread, in the rigging, to dry. Ere long, it is taken down; when removing some three feet of it, towards the pointed extremity, and then cutting two slits for arm-holes at the other end, he lengthwise slips himself bodily into it. The mincer now stands before you invested in the full canonicals of his calling. Immemorial to all his order, this investiture alone will adequately protect him, while employed in the peculiar functions of his office.

Say first, for Heav'n hides nothing from thy view
Nor the deep Tract of Hell, say first what cause
Mov'd our Grand Parents in that happy State,
Favour'd of Heav'n so highly, to fall off [ 30 ]
From thir Creator, and transgress his Will
For one restraint, Lords of the World besides?
Who first seduc'd them to that foul revolt?
Th' infernal Serpent; he it was, whose guile
Stird up with Envy and Revenge, deceiv'd [ 35 ]
The Mother of Mankind, what time his Pride
Had cast him out from Heav'n, with all his Host
Of Rebel Angels, by whose aid aspiring
To set himself in Glory above his Peers,
He trusted to have equal'd the most High, [ 40 ]
If he oppos'd; and with ambitious aim
Against the Throne and Monarchy of God
Rais'd impious War in Heav'n and Battel proud
With vain attempt. Him the Almighty Power
Hurld headlong flaming from th' Ethereal Skie [ 45 ]
With hideous ruine and combustion down
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell
In Adamantine Chains and penal Fire,
Who durst defie th' Omnipotent to Arms.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I don't *think* I saw mention of it in this thread, but in two weeks Wyrd will be launching a Kickstarter for their army-scale tabletop game, The Other Side: https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side

It's set Earth-side in the Malifaux universe, and looks like it'll have four factions at launch and make use of the deck-as-randomness factor as in Malifaux.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrolocutus posted:

I don't *think* I saw mention of it in this thread, but in two weeks Wyrd will be launching a Kickstarter for their army-scale tabletop game, The Other Side: https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side

It's set Earth-side in the Malifaux universe, and looks like it'll have four factions at launch and make use of the deck-as-randomness factor as in Malifaux.

Bonus points from Wyrd: Mostly single piece models. No more having to glue on a characters beard.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Whoa. Looks like Blades in the Dark is actually done, or really near to it. Printing is planned for 2Q 2017, too.

Took longer than planned but unlike most Kickstarters that don't hit their estimated completion date Harper's been on the ball about constantly keeping updated works in progress available for play and playtesting so I'll still give him credit for a reasonably well-run KS.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kai Tave posted:

Took longer than planned but unlike most Kickstarters that don't hit their estimated completion date Harper's been on the ball about constantly keeping updated works in progress available for play and playtesting so I'll still give him credit for a reasonably well-run KS.

Same, easy to forgive a delay when the guy is still keeping good updates and trying to make all the playtest stuff he can available.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last 20 hours for Mythic Battles Pantheon, brought to you by Mythic Games and Monolith Board Games.

The base $100 game is a pretty good value in terms of miniatures alone at this point. Obviously most or all of the women in the game are scantily clad (but so are the men (but uhhh, no, it's not the same)) because of course they are, but there's some really drat good sculpts and almost all of the minis are photos of actual production models, not just concept art, so you can see exactly what you're getting.

The game is well playtested, too, which is one of Monolith's strengths.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Leperflesh posted:

Last 20 hours for Mythic Battles Pantheon, brought to you by Mythic Games and Monolith Board Games.

The base $100 game is a pretty good value in terms of miniatures alone at this point. Obviously most or all of the women in the game are scantily clad (but so are the men (but uhhh, no, it's not the same)) because of course they are, but there's some really drat good sculpts and almost all of the minis are photos of actual production models, not just concept art, so you can see exactly what you're getting.

Wow, this looks really neat.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LordAba posted:

Bonus points from Wyrd: Mostly single piece models. No more having to glue on a characters beard.

I liked the look of the Abyssinia guys, but the idea of having a load of 32mm single-based dudes you move on a MEGABASE seemed goofy.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Leperflesh posted:

I hate the fact that they have battle heels. Argh.

I've backed though but not for any addons which I guess makes me complicit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One cool thing they're doing is using a hard plastic for all the spears and long weapons in the game, so they won't be bendy. The normal plastic they use for figures is a little softer... not as soft as Reaper Bones, but not as hard as your standard GW-grade tabletop mini. So this is a nice compromise.

I haven't backed, but only because I have stacks more Conan poo poo coming and I just cannot justify it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Same, easy to forgive a delay when the guy is still keeping good updates and trying to make all the playtest stuff he can available.

It also helps that the delays were largely from upgrading the production quality of the book, and he's also gotten a publication deal through Evil Hat for improved print-quality books

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kai Tave posted:

I mostly backed Blades as a thank you for Lady Blackbird and his other free games so he has a lot of good will banked up in my book too. Being a consistent good member of the community should buy you some extra slack.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Only noticed this one at the last minute:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanguine/farflung-sci-fi-role-play-after-dark

Dancers at the End of Time-y stuff is extremely my jam, don't have time to read it in detail though so oh well if it's a bust it's a bust

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear. I thought that looked like Mamabliss's art.

Edit: I enjoy this kind of thing too, so what the hell.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 1, 2016

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Bieeardo posted:

Oh dear. I thought that looked like Mamabliss's art.

Edit: I enjoy this kind of thing too, so what the hell.

So, those top and bottom stats mean exactly what I think they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

drat, Farflung is extremely my poo poo and I just missed it!