Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Coolwhoami posted:

People are currently in tents and deck chairs in a line outside the office for the pre-sale of these units. However, I suspect a lot of it is bullshit given that there was a crew setting up chairs at ~6am on tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I liked this one from THE CITY OF LOUGHEED (aka lovely traffic-snarled suburbs)

Is your kid is getting too old to share your one bedroom apartment, but you don't want to move to Surrey? Buy a luxury suite at THE CITY OF LOUGHEED, where he can get his own windowless jail cell for only $800 per square foot.

I have visited this sales centre and the place is horrid. The oven could never fit a whole turkey..

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i like how they have a difficult to read scale at the bottom instead of having actual measurements for the rooms

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

blah_blah posted:

I think there is a clear difference between actual 5-star hotels and mere 'upscale' hotels like the W (ugh) or Hyatt or whatever, even though the latter ones are still $300-400/night. I stayed in a $2500/night suite at a Four Seasons for a few days last month and it was by far the best experience I've ever had in a hotel. I also spent a few days in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver and was very impressed. And it's usually hard to beat the location of top hotels + the ability to get really good room service at whatever random hour you stagger back to your hotel room at.

Of course paying for these on your own dime is substantially less enjoyable.

e: this Harpertar chain is pretty disorienting

Lol what are you even saying. That a 2500$ per night suite is better than a 300$ per night suite?

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

That is incredibly hosed up but completely unsurprising.

How many half finished condo projects will there be in Toronto and Vancouver when this whole scheme fails?

Remember that monolith at Bay and Adelaide that sat there when the 80s-90s office RE bubble burst? We're gonna have 20 Ryugyong Hotel-style concrete eyesores in this city soon enough.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Lol what are you even saying. That a 2500$ per night suite is better than a 300$ per night suite?

I'm saying that 5 star hotels are a lot nicer than renting out some random condo from Airbnb, even if on average the value is worse. Doesn't have to be a $2500/night suite -- even the worst room at a Four Seasons or a Fairmont is still going to be really nice -- but if you've ever stayed in a really nice hotel room it is basically the literal opposite of

PT6A posted:

Hotels loving suck

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

blah_blah posted:

I'm saying that 5 star hotels are a lot nicer than renting out some random condo from Airbnb, even if on average the value is worse. Doesn't have to be a $2500/night suite -- even the worst room at a Four Seasons or a Fairmont is still going to be really nice -- but if you've ever stayed in a really nice hotel room it is basically the literal opposite of

The worst room at a Fairmont is not impressive at all.

Hotel living sucks because you are living out of a suitcase, not because the room is bad (though the basic rooms at a Fairmont are still just basic rooms).

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Hotel living sucks because you are living out of a suitcase

This is basically equivalent to saying that 'travel sucks', which is a different argument.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All you scrubs who think the four seasons is dope have never stayed in actual 5 star Asian hotels

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unpack your clothes and get them pressed and laundered as needed, you savages.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Or learn how to pack your clothes properly so you don't have to fix that poo poo. It's amazing how much poo poo you can fit into carry on if you're not a complete dipshit too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You guys have never travelled extensively if you think even a 5-star hotel is fantastic and amazing all the time. Having to eat out every single meal because your hotel room doesn't have a kitchen is fine for like, 3-5 days or so, but then after that holy hell I'd give anything for a good kitchen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've done several multi-week trips in hotels, it's fine. Some larger suites do have kitchens, but as long as I had a fridge and a decent kettle/coffee pot and there was 24hr room service, it was fine. Come back after meetings and my clothes are cleaned, room tidied, towels replaced. If I didn't want to eat out then call ahead and dinner can be waiting. The internet usually sucks, but otherwise once you figure out the concierge everything is pretty great.

Oh, needs a big bathtub too.

Other topic: if oil prices rebound, does anyone think that Alberta will remember its recent enthusiasm for redistribution of wealth?

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

...as long as I had a fridge and a decent kettle/coffee pot and there was 24hr room service, it was fine. Come back after meetings and my clothes are cleaned, room tidied, towels replaced. If I didn't want to eat out then call ahead and dinner can be waiting. The internet usually sucks, but otherwise once you figure out the concierge everything is pretty great.

That sounds loving awful.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Subjunctive posted:

Other topic: if oil prices rebound, does anyone think that Alberta will remember its recent enthusiasm for redistribution of wealth?

"They never did anything to help us when we needed it, why should we help them now that Oil is Back?!" :bahgawd:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

blah_blah posted:

I think there is a clear difference between actual 5-star hotels and mere 'upscale' hotels like the W (ugh) or Hyatt or whatever, even though the latter ones are still $300-400/night. I stayed in a $2500/night suite at a Four Seasons for a few days last month and it was by far the best experience I've ever had in a hotel. I also spent a few days in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver and was very impressed. And it's usually hard to beat the location of top hotels + the ability to get really good room service at whatever random hour you stagger back to your hotel room at.

Of course paying for these on your own dime is substantially less enjoyable.

e: this Harpertar chain is pretty disorienting

I suppose if you all post with a higher caliber you will get better avatars

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

I suppose if you all post with a higher caliber you will get better avatars

At this rate, if we post worse we might end up with Trudeau avatars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blah_blah posted:

At this rate, if we post worse we might end up with Trudeau avatars.

We'd end up with the *promise* of an avatar...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Subjunctive posted:

:golfclap:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

:drat:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

We'd end up with the *promise* of a middle class avatar...

ftfy

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

You guys have never travelled extensively if you think even a 5-star hotel is fantastic and amazing all the time. Having to eat out every single meal because your hotel room doesn't have a kitchen is fine for like, 3-5 days or so, but then after that holy hell I'd give anything for a good kitchen.

Ever been on a business trip just long enough that the few days of it you're filling your hotel bar fridge with sandwich ingredients you've bought at the local grocery store because the thought of eating at one more restaurant makes you want to drive your boring rear end rental car into a rock cut?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EvilJoven posted:

Ever been on a business trip just long enough that the few days of it you're filling your hotel bar fridge with sandwich ingredients you've bought at the local grocery store because the thought of eating at one more restaurant makes you want to drive your boring rear end rental car into a rock cut?

This sounds like a problem with the restaurants, not travelling itself. Did the per diems/expense caps limit you to crappy places or are there just no good restaurants in the places you went?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The two best hotels in canada that i will recommend without any reservations:

1) http://www.oswegohotelvictoria.com/
2) http://aubergeduvieuxport.com/

most disappointing hotel in north america, the loving W in seattle

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Yes, that is exactly the point of my post?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best hotel in Canada is the fairmont at Vancouver airport because god drat is it ever entertaining to sit on the bridge and watch the cops try to reason with drunk people in the airport at 3am.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would love to live full time in a hotel close to my workplace but I am a very lazy person. If I were a billionaire I'd probably keep the job I have now and just commute to work from the nice hotel next door and eat out every meal.

Anyway I'm actually hoping oil doesn't rebound too much in Alberta. They need to invest more in alternative energy and another oil boom would just distract from that.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

the loving W in seattle

:agreed:

This is indeed a Bad Hotel but primarily because of the pitch black lobby with the lovely DJ playing in it.

EvilJoven posted:

This sounds like more of a problem with the places you're travelling.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad we've all stayed at the W in seattle and hated it :)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This is the worst derail this thread has ever had.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-at-risk-of-disorderly-housing-market-correction-oecd-1.3179753

They refuse to use the word "crash".

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Furnaceface posted:

This is the worst derail this thread has ever had.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-at-risk-of-disorderly-housing-market-correction-oecd-1.3179753

They refuse to use the word "crash".

Vancouver has already crashed, everyone's just keeping quiet about it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at peeps like blah_blah trying to brag about staying at 5-star hotels. i used to have live out of a suit-case for work and work paid for 5-star stays.
they suck like poo poo compared to a service apartment or corporate housing in terms of amenities.

but tell us more about your prestige stay (and share your flyertalk id)

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

It's not a brag -- anyone who seriously argues that staying at a high end hotel is some sort of lower circle of hell is either completely detached from reality or making some sort of weird humblebrag themselves. Corporate apartments are nice for longer stays but worse for short ones. If by 'amenities' you mean they have a kitchen then I guess that's technically correct, but they typically have worse locations, no room service, and lower quality housekeeping/concierge (if at all).

I've never had a job where I had to live out of a suitcase, but I chalk that up to making good career decisions.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 1, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Teachers in NS are going work-to-rule as of next week, there seems to be a lot of public support right now, we'll see how long it lasts.

Steve McNeil really isn't doing a good job projecting a non-scummy image, with it just coming out that he pre-recorded commercials about how recent talks had broken down the day before actually entering talks. Also the public is really salty about the continued, multi-million dollar bill for the Bluenose II and the Yarmouth ferry that no one seems to use.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah thankfully, i'm out of google now but let's get back to bashing property

blah_blah posted:

I also spent a few days in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver and was very impressed.
lmao

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/vexmark/status/804338274399567872

It's been sad couple days for me as it looks like opec will cut production. Fortunately the tar sands are still going to fester. :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Excuse my interruption of humblebrag hotel chat, mortgage rates are going to rise so dwi you over leveraged poors

ed:

TD Bank posted:

Effective Dec. 1, the lender will charge an additional 10 basis points to their overall rate for all new fixed amortizations of 25 years or more.

That same day, all new mortgages on rental properties will have 25 basis points added to their overall rate.

The changes follow a move by TD on Nov. 15, in which it raised its special rate offer for a four-year fixed mortgage by five basis points and for a five-year fixed mortgage by 10 basis points.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 1, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

Fortunately the tar sands are still going to fester. :)

It's ok, Trudeau just has to increase oil and gas subsidies to protect the ~~*middle class*~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad we've all stayed at the W in seattle and hated it :)

The valet attendant at the W Seattle backed a car into my truck, while I was in the truck, and while I was leaning on the horn to warn him before he hit me. Worst hotel ever.