Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oracle posted:

Maybe they're assuming its Evil Barry who Future Barry warned them about.

Well yes, the message ended up in 2016 so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Fru Fru posted:

I thought he said the exact opposite? I will admit to not really listening to Barry whine about time travel again though so I might be confused. Also I don't actually care what flashpoint is, it's a stupid name.

Right now they are calling the timeline where Barry saves his mom Flashpoint because that's how the comics did it , but something has been off for me since episode one. Thawne instantly knew things had changed in this timeline. So I have a feeling he somehow had something to do with some of these changes. Now we are getting even more info due to future Barry warning the legends to not trust him, but I'm thinking there is something more to that than him not telling everyone about Flashpoint. Something else is going on or I'm reading too much into it. Probably the latter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oracle posted:

Maybe they're assuming its Evil Barry who Future Barry warned them about.

You know, given his general level of 5-steps-ahead dickishness, I'm thinking that the message was actually sent by Eobard posing as Barry to get everyone to be paranoid and mistrustful of Barry, purely because he's a delightful time troll. Barry just happening to be a massive gently caress up just works in Thawne's favor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thawne used his face stealing tech to become Barry, who because speedforce etc. didn't die like the real Wells did. Barry's still trapped in Flashpoint.

But because of the timeline stuff that totally matters sometimes Thawne's memories are slowly being replaced with Barry's, and he's forgetting who he really is.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't think having the Union army and future president Grant fight a hoard of zombies messes things up as much as you think they would

I was thinking that nuking Norway and a prison in Russia with hundreds of people might have a slight effect. But I guess it turns out Barry's mother is the most important person in time. Who knew? :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

You know, given his general level of 5-steps-ahead dickishness, I'm thinking that the message was actually sent by Eobard posing as Barry to get everyone to be paranoid and mistrustful of Barry, purely because he's a delightful time troll. Barry just happening to be a massive gently caress up just works in Thawne's favor.

Thawne's backstory is so great. He idolized Barry to the point where he duplicated his powers, then found out he was predestined to be History's Biggest Dick and decided to embrace the role as hard as possible. :allears:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

Thawne's backstory is so great. He idolized Barry to the point where he duplicated his powers, then found out he was predestined to be History's Biggest Dick and decided to embrace the role as hard as possible. :allears:

Uh, Harrison Wells of Earth 2 is History's Biggest Diiiiiiick.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
E: actually, no.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rhyno posted:

That was a great episode EXCEPT for Felicity's loving team up line. She just sucks the life and fun out of every scene she's in.

When she said best team up ever? I laughed and moved on I hate her too but I don't see what was life sucking about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno's life is pain and suffering.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aphrodite posted:

Thawne used his face stealing tech to become Barry, who because speedforce etc. didn't die like the real Wells did. Barry's still trapped in Flashpoint.

But because of the timeline stuff that totally matters sometimes Thawne's memories are slowly being replaced with Barry's, and he's forgetting who he really is.
Honestly this would be an amazing twist since it would perfectly reference The Return of Barry Allen, which actually updated Eobard's origin story to the one the show is essentially using right now.

But I imagine viewers would be crazy pissed to learn the Barry they've been watching for several episodes isn't actually Barry. It's not really a smart idea to do something like that past a few episodes at most.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mortanis posted:

Uh, Harrison Wells of Earth 2 is History's Biggest Diiiiiiick.

He's kind of the good version of Reverse-Flash, when you think about it.

I mean still a dick but.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tarquinn posted:

I was thinking that nuking Norway and a prison in Russia with hundreds of people might have a slight effect. But I guess it turns out Barry's mother is the most important person in time. Who knew? :v:

So just like in the comics then

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

Rhyno's life is pain and suffering.

I lost the context on this and legit thought you were trying to post in Punchsport Pagoda and missed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zebulon posted:

To be fair he kind of has a point when everyone starts playing the Lets Lie About poo poo To Wally game to ~protect him~ from everything.
This is the dumbest thing. You've got potentially world-ending problems and an additional speedster to help but you're going to tell him he can't help because he might get hurt? You're going to feel really dumb when it turns out that his help might have saved the day and now the dominators/Savitar kills everyone (including him).

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Legends crew is being reaalllllly hypocritical here.
"Hey, you can't gently caress up time! That's our thing! Ruin your friends' lives some other way!"

AbsolutelySane posted:

You know, they probably should have grabbed Jessie and useful Wells while they were at it, too.
Also J'ohn J'ones, Mon-El, James, Vixen, Vixen, Jay, Rag Man, Malcolm Merlyn and Nate. And anyone else I've forgotten. I know why they didn't, you just can't fit that many characters into an episode, but from the characters' perspective it makes no sense to not have all hands on deck for this.

lotus circle posted:

I'm sure the writing will gradually have Cisco and Barry reconcile, but Cisco has good reasons to feel angry.
It makes sense, but that doesn't make it good TV.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Surprise, the Arrow part of the crossover was really bad! Who could have known.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

MiddleOne posted:

It was actually great so I guess you

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

It was actually a loving fantastic episode.

It is you that is really bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It was 70% Arrow melodrama :raise:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MiddleOne posted:

Since I didn't have to watch any Arrow leading up to this episode and I won't have to watch any Arrow after this episode I can say it was actually a pretty ok episode of the crossover. I mean, I still had to watch some Arrow during this crossover, but I'll take a half-hour "no one can accept the perfect matrix" melodrama episode that all genre shows eventually do over the Felicity cry-talking of season 4.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

MiddleOne posted:

I mean, there wasn't as much of the typical melodrama at all. it was more a recap of the last five years in the form of an alien simulation. lots of good bits of acting in there

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Felicity is that you? Are you mad that Oliver wasn't set to marry you?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Maybe it was and a government just intercepted the rockets.

Or perhaps both pods got stuck in the Phantom Zone this time, and will need to be rescued by the Legends so Team Flash can take them in and raise them.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, there wasn't as much of the typical melodrama at all. it was more a recap of the last five years in the form of an alien simulation. lots of good bits of acting in there

I just think the concept is funny. The writers could have made the episode about heroes escaping from an alien ship, instead they decide the most exciting thing they can do is put all their heroes in a soap opera simulator.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ElCondemn posted:

I just think the concept is funny. The writers could have made the episode about heroes escaping from an alien ship, instead they decide the most exciting thing they can do is put all their heroes in a soap opera simulator.

It was also the 100th Arrow episode, so they wanted the chance to bring everyone back for guest bits.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

Each show is playing to its premise's strength / audience's tastes. Arrow's all about girtty melodrama, so they're basically forced to write what amounts to a bottle show in a soap opera simulator so that people tuning into the show expecting it to just be another episode of Arrow aren't driven away by Flash/Supergirl/Legends' colourful whimsy and crazy. It just means that they're gonna go balls out for Legends tomorrow because that's the bugfuck craziest of the four shows, so it'll be playing to its audience's expectations rather than Flash/Arrow/Supergirl's.

E:

I'm just gonna assume that Kara punched the air in front of her face so hard it sent her flying... :raise:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I thought that scene was pretty hilarious, Flash and Supergirl team up to beat up a defenseless woman.

nine-gear crow posted:

Each show is playing to its premise's strength / audience's tastes. Arrow's all about girtty melodrama, so they're basically forced to write what amounts to a bottle show in a soap opera simulator so that people tuning into the show expecting it to just be another episode of Arrow aren't driven away by Flash/Supergirl/Legends' colourful whimsy and crazy. It just means that they're gonna go balls out for Legends tomorrow because that's the bugfuck craziest of the four shows, so it'll be playing to its audience's expectations rather than Flash/Arrow/Supergirl's.

I get it, the dream world/matrix idea made it easy for them to make sure they don't affect their continuity in any meaningful way. Totally a bottle episode.

It is really fun to see how each show differs in tone and writing. It reminds me of crossover events in comic books with different writers writing each part of the event.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 1, 2016

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I think the message really was from Future Barry, and he intentionally lied about present Barry's trustworthiness. The thing he said made sure that at least Barry, if not Barry and Oliver, stayed behind while the Sectoids mind controlled the rest of the team. If everybody had gone in at the same time, it would have just been Wally "Maybe Stepping In Front of This Speeding Car Will Give Me Super Powers" West to fight off literally every other active hero in their shared universe. If anything, it gives me hope that Barry eventually becomes slightly less of a fuckup.

MiddleOne posted:

Eh, it's Arrow. As somebody who hated the few episodes of Arrow that I saw (like the first five or so from the first season before completely giving up), I thought it was just more of the same terrible show and wanted it to be over as quickly as possible so we could get back to the good shows again. But if you dig Arrow, it's probably also more of the same.

Side note: I hope Oliver kept his loving space gun. That thing alone dropped the Dominators' threat level from 'Unkillable badasses' to 'Victorian ladies In tightlaced corsets in dire need of a fainting couch.'

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AbsolutelySane posted:

I just assumed Krypton wasn't destroyed in the Earth 1 universe, hence no Superman or Supergirl.

It was destroyed. But Kara and Kal-El died. Their parents were going to fuel up the escape pods, but a shrinky dude in an exosuit and an assassin lady distracted them.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

I don't know why but this was really hot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I haven't watched Arrow yet but well done if that's when the Laurel appearance happens. It's an even better troll than my idea, and I respect that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't watched Arrow yet but well done if that's when the Laurel appearance happens. It's an even better troll than my idea, and I respect that.

She's still coming back this season, just not starting now.

I assume Barry is going to gently caress up big and cause major changes. Again. Maybe even tonight? They'd have to do it in a cross-over or that's a hell of a "Previously on..."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

She's still coming back this season, just not starting now.

I assume Barry is going to gently caress up big and cause major changes. Again. Maybe even tonight? They'd have to do it in a cross-over or that's a hell of a "Previously on..."

We joke(?) about it but Barry Allen is the single biggest threat to the entire multiverse and Thawne is absolutely right in opposing him. The time dickery is just his side gig.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

We joke(?) about it but Barry Allen is the single biggest threat to the entire multiverse and Thawne is absolutely right in opposing him. The time dickery is just his side gig.

The problem is, if you want to get down to brass tacks, Thawne created gently caress-up Barry because he didn't like the previous, responsible version of Barry. Probably because Good Barry was always foiling his plans while not loving up the timeline. It's a shame we never got to meet Good Barry.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Eh the only bad part about the Arrow episode was it had nothing to do with the crossover, at least not until the last few minutes. You could easily rewrite the situation that caused the dream world and nothing would change. The episode itself was solid otherwise.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

AbsolutelySane posted:

The problem is, if you want to get down to brass tacks, Thawne created gently caress-up Barry because he didn't like the previous, responsible version of Barry. Probably because Good Barry was always foiling his plans while not loving up the timeline. It's a shame we never got to meet Good Barry.

Don't worry, there's a time remnant good Barry that will eventually show up, but then he'll be incredibly disappointed in gently caress-up Barry.

Then Barry will have another Dad!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barry should be Inverse Flash. Good, non-moron Barry Allen can be the normal Flash.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woo ratings boost!

cbr posted:

This year’s crossover episode boosted “The Flash” with a +3% increase in total viewership from last year’s crossover. The show also saw a +7% increase in adults 18-49, but matched its previous rating in adults 18-34. Overall, “The Flash” cinched the #2 spot in the 8-9pm hour for adults 18-34, tied for #3 with adults 18-49 and scored #1 for men 18-34 (1.4/7).

Notably, “The Flash” jumped a whopping +39% in total viewers between last week’s episode and the crossover. Broken down, that’s a +50% increase in adults 18-34, +36% in adults 18-49 and +75% in men 18-34. As a network, The CW reaped some major benefits as well; Tuesday was up +37% in total viewers (2.576m), +60% in adults 18-34 (0.8/3) and +29% in adults 18-49 (0.9/3). That makes last night’s episode of “The Flash” The CW’s most watched Tuesday since February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So far I think the Flash episode has been the best of the crossover. Legends is probably going to be fun. I wish all of these characters interacted more than once a year. I don't know how they will top this next year.

• Locked thread