Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SpaceGoku posted:

my dude these fine people are not judiciously weighing the perceived policy positions of all their candidates and coming to the conclusion "aha, I shall not vote for my potential leaders are all tainted"

they are seeing team R say "lol gently caress you" and then they are seeing team D say "[sound of crickets]"

then they shrug their shoulders and go back to trying to find a third job so they can give their kids a christmas that's even smaller than the one they had last year (which was even smaller than the one before [which was even smaller than the one before that {which was even smaller than the one before that <which was even smaller than the one before that (which was...

because the alternative is NOT getting that job and then saying "sorry kids we can't really have a christmas this year but I want you to know that I still love you, I just wasn't good enough"

that is real life poo poo and my dude I strongly suggest you take a moment to peel away some of the scale on your eyes because my goodness

my goodness

So your point is that voting and being politically involved is just flat out not possible for these people?

Again, Burke would have directly improved the lives of these people in countless ways, but the results from rural areas was a very clear "gently caress you!". It was not crickets from her, it was "lol gently caress you" vs. "I will make sure you don't need to worry about getting fired, don't need to fear getting sick and don't need to work three jobs", and the end result was "give us more of the guy who fucks us over".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GlyphGryph posted:

Its funny that antigun dems deny they want to take away anyones guns but then, when pressed or even when not pressed, admit they really do want to.

I use to be antigun, but the idiocy of the antigun crowd has definitely sent me far over to the other side, where I am considering spending time at the target range next year.

Yeah I just can't be bothered to be anti gun anymore. And even then I was only against like automatics and poo poo but nuance has left that building. Way too much fighting for just inches.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fulchrum posted:

Again, Burke would have directly improved the lives of these people in countless ways

Look its one of them there lies.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How about that nancy pelosi being minority leader again

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's good actually

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
when's dnc chair decided

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
March. Or earlier if someone pressures Brazile to step down.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Uncle Wemus posted:

How about that nancy pelosi being minority leader again

nothin wrong with that imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

There's no reason why anyone in the top level DNC should keep their role after the Dems lost 900 seats in the most recent election and the White House.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

etalian posted:

There's no reason why anyone in the top level DNC should keep their role after the Dems lost 900 seats in the most recent election and the White House.

yeah but how does that matter to the position of House Minority Leader

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Well What Now posted:

yeah but how does that matter to the position of House Minority Leader

Prob nothing, but the DNC needs to be swept clean.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The "blaming voters/public" game the establishment types like to play still isn't out of fashion I see.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah I just can't be bothered to be anti gun anymore. And even then I was only against like automatics and poo poo but nuance has left that building. Way too much fighting for just inches.

As someone who's been more immersed in the debate over time, automatics are a complete non-issue with the way firearms are currently regulated anyway. People who are likely to commit crimes with a rifle are not going to spend the time to engineer what it would require to turn a semi-automatic rifle into full automatic, and that function isn't really conducive to making whatever their goals might be easier (see: Pulse nightclub shooting, semi-automatic AR-15). Existing automatic firearms are so tied up by the National Firearms Act and registration with the BATO that there's virtually no way anyone with ulterior motives would spend the resources to get one. If gun control ever gets serious again, the only way to significantly reduce handgun deaths would be a complete ban on handguns of any kind, as long guns are virtually never used either in crimes or in suicides.

Good luck actually rounding up every handgun in the country though LOL

RedneckwithGuns has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Dec 1, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
lol, the only way pelosi is gonna lose her seat is if mark leno ran against her from the left

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ban handguns, offer a buyback program to get rifles instead.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are we doing What's the Matter with Kansas again?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

do you think the house minority leader is a factor there

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ban handguns, offer a buyback program to get rifles instead.

this is probably actually a really good idea

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reflecting on this since the 9th and this election is eerily reminiscient of the Nixon election.

An irreverent con-man is elected over a cabable and competent opponent who lacked charisma. An election following an administration that elevated issues involving minorities; then, civil rights for blacks, now, civil rights for LGBT and of course, a black Pres. A leaving administration embroiled in a festering military action against the ultimate political boogeyman of the times; then, a communist client state, now, Islam. I could go on but, the parallels are numerous. I don't know what the gently caress this means for the future but, where's Jimmy Carter?

firebeats
May 8, 2016

radical meme posted:

I've been reflecting on this since the 9th and this election is eerily reminiscient of the Nixon election.

An irreverent con-man is elected over a cabable and competent opponent who lacked charisma

:laffo:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I liked the Pappy O'Daniel vs Homer Stokes comparison better

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

I don't think George Clooney and the Coen brothers are gonna save us here.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

radical meme posted:

a cabable and competent opponent

lol you don't get to make this claim for a lady that couldn't beat Donald loving Trump

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

radical meme posted:

I don't think George Clooney and the Coen brothers are gonna save us here.

In fact Clooney is part of the problem

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Barack Obama was Jimmy Carter

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/804089137766744064

Guys, I just wanted to pop in and say gently caress the establishment dems and dumb shills like Daou who stick their heads in the sand while pointing blamey fingers in every wrong direction while still believing that their stupid party is "Already Great."

No Dem should get a vote or their name even near a ballot if they take a cent in corporate money or large singe-donor cash.

With the situation with Brazile not stepping down and the DNC vote being in months time, I have some reserve paranoia about the DemE biding its own time to get their poo poo together, and meanwhile letting the left/Sanders wing "blow off some steam" so they can come back with a highly-calculated approach to the party's future a la the Hillary campaign and proclaim some buzzword/soundbite-driven message that we all will have to nod and agree to.

In other words, in the meantime, the message the left needs to send the DNC and keep hammering on is ":bernin: or :frogout:"

Take the party hostage.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

An irreverent con-man is elected over a cabable and competent opponent who lacked charisma. An election following an administration that elevated issues involving minorities; then, civil rights for blacks, now, civil rights for LGBT and of course, a black Pres. A leaving administration embroiled in a festering military action against the ultimate political boogeyman of the times; then, a communist client state, now, Islam. I could go on but, the parallels are numerous. I don't know what the gently caress this means for the future but, where's Jimmy Carter?

Hell, Nixon waited til 4 years after he got his rear end impeached to say he thought he was above the law. Trump's saying it without prompting right now.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Bernie's plan to execute a nuclear strike on Texas is appealing; but I think it would be unfair to the democrats that live there.

Ann Richards died

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

It occurs to me that it even works on the level that the thing that secures Pappy's victory is an endorsement by popular musicians and Stokes' meltdown about the same.

Mostly it's reminded me that it's been way too long since I've watched O Brother Where Art Thou.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

radical meme posted:

if anything, trump's election reminds me of the 2003 recall election in california.

you had:
  • a charismatic populist who was mired in sex-related scandals on the right (schwarzenegger then, trump now), an establishment democrat who ran a mismanaged campaign on the left (cruz bustamante then, hillary clinton now).
  • the existing democratic administration was tarred with poo poo that was caused by the previous republican administration (california electrical utilities getting hosed over by literal enron because of wilson's deregulation mania then, the obama administration's neutered response to the gfc because of the congressional republicans and tea party, now)
  • a dash of anti-immigrant nativism (john and ken types hollering about "drivers licenses for illegal immigrants" then, trump's wall, now.)
  • an extremely crowded field that gave the celebrity candidate who benefitted from some kind name recognition a huge advantage.
  • a media environment that treated the whole thing as a huge joke.

Instant Sunrise has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Dec 1, 2016

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Subjunctivitis posted:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/804089137766744064

Guys, I just wanted to pop in and say gently caress the establishment dems and dumb shills like Daou who stick their heads in the sand while pointing blamey fingers in every wrong direction while still believing that their stupid party is "Already Great."

Augh, I took a look at the other tweets and it amazes me how blind party loyalty for Democrats > addressing the issues and learning from criticism.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Remember when the Democratic candidate who was suffering from negative views due to people wanting to know what she was telling donors privately held a fundraiser at a rich couple's house outside Denver used a white noise machine to prevent journalists from hearing her?

That was a long sentence. But as a suggestion for the future, I don't think the Democratic candidate in 2020 should do that.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Remember when the Democratic candidate who was suffering from negative views due to people wanting to know what she was telling donors privately held a fundraiser at a rich couple's house outside Denver used a white noise machine to prevent journalists from hearing her?

That was a long sentence. But as a suggestion for the future, I don't think the Democratic candidate in 2020 should do that.

Guess what? They will.

firebeats
May 8, 2016

panascope posted:

Guess what? They will.

Counterpoint:

Subjunctivitis posted:

":bernin: or :frogout:"

Take the party hostage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bernie continues to hold sold out events across the country:
http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-in-post-election-appearance-in-1480489042-htmlstory.html

quote:

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders spoke to a sold-out crowd of 1,400 Tuesday night in Glendale, trying to help supporters grapple with the election of Donald Trump and chart a path forward.

Opening her conversation with Sanders at the Alex Theatre, comedian Sarah Silverman posed a question with a four-letter word she said has "been on everybody's mind since the election."

"What the [expletive]?" Silverman said to laughter and applause. "Is that the entire question?" Sanders responded, before warning that the Democratic Party "cannot be the party of the liberal elite."

Sanders told the audience that it would be a mistake to assume that the only reason Trump won was because his supporters are "racists, sexists and homophobes."

"What he touched on in many, many parts of this country is a pain and a level of despair that you never, ever see on television," Sanders said. "A lot of people are suffering, a lot of people are hurting and they need a party which brings them into the process."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoguh posted:

Sheng-ji Yang just carpet bombing truth on page one.

Praise Sheng-ji Yang, I cannot wait to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Sleepy Eyes Chuck...

Ugh tho, 4 real.

To be fair? Yer fkn taking the piss m8 :chloe:

It was tabloid journalism for rating milkage and even Trump shuttered Clinton out on coverage. People were eating this poo poo up while the rest are like Jobs tho??? And the Media is "10 things Trump did that wuz absolutely curazee!!!" Plus Trump is a shithead who did bad things which is why he got negative coverage and then he gets all pouty because his actions have consequences.

You're talking about an rear end in a top hat who dodged taxes because it makes him smart, and was able to declare bankruptcy 4 times and walk out without a dent. Culpability is not his thing, and the issue here is not his negative coverage. The issue here is that the MSM just went "look at that bad thing, huh that was pretty wild right? (please click our articles)" They both are garbage at culpability, thats the one thing they have in common.

They could be besties, really because of all the symbiosis and commonality they share. But the cosmos has an ironic sense of humor, and alas~ :ocelot:

Aside from regularly saying "look at this bad thing Trump did, here it is" and "Man Trump seems a lot like Hitler, here's how he's like Hitler" what would you like journalists to do? Try to pretend there wasn't a Republican nominee for President?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

firebeats posted:

Counterpoint:

Bernie will look like Yoda in 2020.

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firebeats
May 8, 2016

panascope posted:

Bernie will look like Yoda in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCU7nRaUbL8

• Locked thread