Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you can get a regular alliance with the Ottomans you may be able to call them into the League War without them joining a League? I'm assuming Austria is the Emperor, you might not even need to build up favors and just promise them some land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you do not have a merchant in a specific trade node your trade power will be used to push trade towards your capitol via the shortest route so long as there is a another nation's trader in that node who is trying to push it in that direction. So you do not need a trader in every node, just to focus them high-demand contested nodes like Ivory Coast or Caribbean

Excellent, thank you very much.

Man this is a good game. It's ridiculous how engaging it is.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Fellow goons, there are an absolute shitload of you who play EU4 and not enough of you who play EU4 WITH goons!

A new game on Thursday evenings (US) is starting soon!

Visit the PGS thread - and the new game in particular - here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&pagenumber=13#post466926915

Join our discord, hang out and play mapgames. Games are better with friends.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The interface lied to me. I sometimes look at any OPM's around me to see if they'd accept vassalization. You can see this at a glance by the green checkbox next to the option. If it's a yes, then I start working them. Improve relations, alliance, gifts, influence, anything to get up to 190. I finally got one up to 190, one that was going to be key to my expansion and future plans. Wait.. it has a green check box but it's still grayed out. "Free cities can not become subjects"

gently caress.
Would be nice if that set the interface icon to a red X.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This whole France-Spain-Portugal lovefest every game is getting really old.

In my current game, things are weird. Castile ate Portugal and never PU'd Aragon, which got eaten by france and Morocco which formed Andalusia. Aragon still lives in southern Italy, I guess they integrated naples before getting torn up.

Scotland has half of england and kildare has almost all of ireland and colonies in Canada.

Ottomans, which hold on to just turkey and greece, were beaten by egypt and Persia (that for some reason rivaled me even though they are very far away and have 0 chance of ever doing anything to me besides rear end in a top hat sabotage actions)

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the missions the game offered me was to take some Italian provinces, but apparently I can't fabricate claims on places that aren't my neighbor, and it didn't give me any casus beli to help, so I'm not sure what the game's playing at there.
Generally, when there's a mission to conquer a region or territory, accepting will automatically give you claims on the provinces in question. (These claims last for 25 years, which is at least enough time to get a foothold in the area.)

I don't remember if "Italian Ambition" gives you Italian claims, but I suppose you could always accept the mission and find out. If it doesn't, just cancel the mission and no harm done.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

If you can get a regular alliance with the Ottomans you may be able to call them into the League War without them joining a League? I'm assuming Austria is the Emperor, you might not even need to build up favors and just promise them some land.

Bohemia is the Emperor. Austria, despite being Catholic and having the votes of a few electors, is in the Protestant League. Hungary is in the Catholic League though (I think), so maybe I can buddy up to the Ottomans and offer them some of Hungary's land.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All electors are my vassals but none support me for emperor, all support austria. Is it because I'm france? Should I just take out austria and disband this whole rotten "empire" ?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Elman posted:

I knew things speed up at that point but I figured coring speed might be a bigger deal. Except Ottomans have faster coring, and I think efficiency helps with it too? It only took me about a year to core any province. I need to give World Conquest a try sometime.

No Unify Islam though! I just realized you need to convert all your land to Islam, not just those specific provinces :saddowns:

If you're going to do Unify Islam do it some time when you're just having fun because as you noted the convert everything blows. Then again you have about 70 years, take religious ideas, conquer Rome, and convert everything.

Also, and this is just my personal experience, do NOT do a world conquest. If you thought this sucked trust me it gets so much worse. I did my WC run back when hordes were broken and at first it was all sun shine and skull pyramids, but then from about 1600 on it as just zoning out and going through the motions while my eyes and wrist joints withered and died. And by the way I noticed you left Europe alone this run. I'm going to guess it's for fear of a coalition, but that's something you'll have to get over and there are tricks to deal with it (declare multiple wars in Europe at once so they're all on different peace timers).

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

quote:

Should I just take out austria and disband this whole rotten "empire" ?

The answer to this question is always yes, gently caress the HRE

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

In my current game, things are weird. Castile ate Portugal and never PU'd Aragon, which got eaten by france and Morocco which formed Andalusia. Aragon still lives in southern Italy, I guess they integrated naples before getting torn up.

Scotland has half of england and kildare has almost all of ireland and colonies in Canada.

Ottomans, which hold on to just turkey and greece, were beaten by egypt and Persia (that for some reason rivaled me even though they are very far away and have 0 chance of ever doing anything to me besides rear end in a top hat sabotage actions)
It is odd how things can turn out.

I guess I cant complain too much, somehow England and France ended up at war (I cant see all of Europe yet) and Portugal's alliances got broke with everyone except the Papal State.
I have a Heavy Ship, Transport, and Army advantage on Portugal, though just barely in each category. I am very tempted to attack them to humiliate them to Show Strength to get 300 MP and the 30 extra power projection, which will guarantee me another +1 to each MP for years to come. The MP would help me catch up on Instituions (Colonialism is 25 years old and I dont have a colonial nation formed yet), though it would not directly weaken Portugal at all. But it may be my only chance to hurt them.
My other option is to continue to take over Africa.

Do AI Great Powers ever join wars where there is a Great Power mis-match? If I attack Portugal I will be the only Great Power in the war and i am worried Castille or someone else will join in and help Portugal. Castille, England, and France are all GPs but they are all involved in a war together and I think they would be the most likely to join in to help Portugal...

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do AI Great Powers ever join wars where there is a Great Power mis-match? If I attack Portugal I will be the only Great Power in the war and i am worried Castille or someone else will join in and help Portugal. Castille, England, and France are all GPs but they are all involved in a war together and I think they would be the most likely to join in to help Portugal...

There has to be at least 3 great powers involved in a war for another great power to intervene.

However, they could always try enforce peace assuming their relationship with Portugal hasn't tanked.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sloshmonger posted:

There has to be at least 3 great powers involved in a war for another great power to intervene.

However, they could always try enforce peace assuming their relationship with Portugal hasn't tanked.
Oh, thank you for clarifying that. I guess I am going to give it a go, then.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

So, coalitions.
Timiruds, QQ, and venice coalitioned me. I immediately declared and beat them down (I am ottoman hear me roar). They will have left the coalition at this point (I think, from the wiki, although I guess I haven't confirmed this). Time has passed and my truce with them has now expired. If I now go generate a whole new bunch of AE, will tims and qq etc rejoin the coalition? Or are they out for good?

How low is their AE? If it's past 30 chances are they'll rejoin it. You can prevent this by leaving them alone for a while till their AE drops (high prestige and Better Relations Over Time advisors help with this). Or you can just attack them while their guard is down, forcing them into separate truces, which prevents them from coalitioning since you can't join a coalition while you have a truce.

Since you're the Ottomans you should of course do the latter.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elman posted:

How low is their AE? If it's past 30 chances are they'll rejoin it. You can prevent this by leaving them alone for a while till their AE drops (high prestige and Better Relations Over Time advisors help with this). Or you can just attack them while their guard is down, forcing them into separate truces, which prevents them from coalitioning since you can't join a coalition while you have a truce.

You mean 50, and yeah, if it's past 50 then after the truce they will often re-coalition.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I thought Scotland had been eaten by England but they somehow managed to keep a rump state in California of all places :scotland:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Oh that's right, it's 50 AE now.

Ithle01 posted:

If you're going to do Unify Islam do it some time when you're just having fun because as you noted the convert everything blows. Then again you have about 70 years, take religious ideas, conquer Rome, and convert everything.

I could just release all my non-muslim land as client states, really. But that'd take forever and at that point I might as well SAM it. I'll probably just save that achievement in case I do a Najd or Ibadi run.

Ithle01 posted:

Also, and this is just my personal experience, do NOT do a world conquest. If you thought this sucked trust me it gets so much worse. I did my WC run back when hordes were broken and at first it was all sun shine and skull pyramids, but then from about 1600 on it as just zoning out and going through the motions while my eyes and wrist joints withered and died. And by the way I noticed you left Europe alone this run. I'm going to guess it's for fear of a coalition, but that's something you'll have to get over and there are tricks to deal with it (declare multiple wars in Europe at once so they're all on different peace timers).

I actually thought this was pretty fun :shobon: Though I can see how it might wear you down in a WC since you'd be forced to micro more, pay more attention and stuff. I think I'll give it a shot eventually. Not anytime soon though.

I wasn't that scared of Europe, but since I wasn't sure I'd reach 1001 provinces I figured there was no point in poking the bear.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tendronai posted:

The answer to this question is always yes, gently caress the HRE

Not if you control it, though. Being the emperor gives you all sorts of advantages and is potentially a huge landgrab opportunity, and if he's already got all of the electors as vassals then he probably just needs to improve relations with them (and make sure that his capital is in the HRE)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

QuarkJets posted:

Not if you control it, though. Being the emperor gives you all sorts of advantages and is potentially a huge landgrab opportunity, and if he's already got all of the electors as vassals then he probably just needs to improve relations with them (and make sure that his capital is in the HRE)

Ah I gotta move my capital to the HRE, that'll do it.

I wish you could get a break down on why people vote how they vote. Like it's nice if I mouse over it shows I'm at -1000 and austria is at 150 and Baden is at -974 or what ever, but tell me why I'm at -1000, break it down. I'm sure it caps at -1000 and there's some "capital not in HRE -1000" modifier.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Baronjutter posted:

I wish you could get a break down on why people vote how they vote. Like it's nice if I mouse over it shows I'm at -1000 and austria is at 150 and Baden is at -974 or what ever, but tell me why I'm at -1000, break it down. I'm sure it caps at -1000 and there's some "capital not in HRE -1000" modifier.

i thought it did ?? i remember modifiers like "nation too small" or "not in the hre"

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

oddium posted:

i thought it did ?? i remember modifiers like "nation too small" or "not in the hre"

yeah, it does, there are also "subjugating other electors" modifiers

I'm sure there's some gimmick to doing HRE, but afaik it was fairly easy to just keep the italian states in (only hard one is beating on the pope, as that's a vicious penalty), and then being border police like mad. Taking hungary/balkans and then adding that for the bonus IA is worth it to pass the final reforms.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

sloshmonger posted:

Under what conditions will this happen? My league war is going to have at least 5 GPs in it after I kick it off - how can I try to get the Ottomans to intervene on my side?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fintilgin posted:

If you guys are looking for something different, a custom nation in New Zealand is pretty cool. Good development, ability to dominate the Indonesia node, AND you get to keep all American provinces as your own without colonial nations because you start in a colonial region (tested this to be sure). :c00l:

Being a New Zealander myself I did this a while back. I found it really boring though, there's nothing to do except colonise for ages at the start and once you do meet someone to fight you're big enough to crush them really easily. Then again I was western tech pre-institutions so that probably helped. Still, if I were to do it again I'd probably fill NZ with Maori tribes and play as one of them. Probably fill in Aus and the Pacific Islands too. EU4 is really boring without the diplomatic game. I hope for EU5 they fill in native populations everywhere and come up with a new mechanic for colonisation.

On the topic of NZ in EU4:

UK land area: 242,495 sq km
NZ land area: 268,031 sq km
UK EU4 provinces: 28.5
NZ EU4 provinces: 8

What the gently caress, Paradox? :argh:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Elman posted:

Not gonna lie, I read the first part of your answer and was all "pfft gently caress that, ill just kill em all separately"
It will require constantly attacking everyone to make sure everyone important is on truces, but honestly that was the plan anyway. (I did have a brief pause during a 10 year regency, but 15 year old Caliph Bob is ready to saddle up)

Bonus screenshot because I'm sure everyone cares:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

That's not a thing. Or more correctly, it is, but it's only -50. And you can't move your capital into or out of the HRE directly. You must use the join/leave Empire button on the HRE screen.

If it's showing -1000, you're straight up not eligible. Are you a Republic? Is your ruler female? Is there an official religion (there usually is) and you're not it? You're presumably at least Christian?

And I'm 90% sure that if you mouse over a particular part of it it will tell you exactly why they rate you at whatever they do. Pretty sure mousing over their shield and the shield they're voting for is the difference.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm a protestant republic and I think the catholics won the war except now the HRE is shattered and 90% non-catholic and ohhhh this explains why austria keeps getting elected and why there's only 3 electors, it's just those electors and austria as the last catholics.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I'm a protestant republic and I think the catholics won the war except now the HRE is shattered and 90% non-catholic and ohhhh this explains why austria keeps getting elected and why there's only 3 electors, it's just those electors and austria as the last catholics.

Republics are ineligible. Time to hit that oh so satisfying button and watch those Germans cry.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

It did display a breakdown like a year ago when I did my Spain Is the Emperor achievement run, which was how I learned that I needed to add my country to the HRE (having HRE provinces is not the same as being an HRE member; you can become an HRE member by adding your capital to the HRE). I think that was before I knew how to move my capital so I added provinces in a line from the edge of the HRE down into the Iberian peninsula (France had been crushed).

That run ended when I encountered some weird bug where all of the remaining French provinces suddenly switched to Spain (like way, way more than 100% warscore could ever possible give me), which pegged my overextension at some insane number. I was unable to release some vassals because I had just entered a succession war with Poland over inheriting Russia, and nothing that I could offer them was enough to end the war, so my land wound up flooded with literally millions of rebels.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

If catholics won the war then only catholics can be emperor. And yeah, republics can't rule the HRE because they don't have a monarch

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Under what conditions will this happen? My league war is going to have at least 5 GPs in it after I kick it off - how can I try to get the Ottomans to intervene on my side?

I went through the game data to look for more information, but like all diplomatic actions, it's hardcoded. That action is available on any war that has an unbalanced number of great powers. So if Alllaince A has 3 GPs, and Alliance B has 2, one uninvolved GP can intervene and join on the side of Alliance B. If A has 4, and B has 1, the other 3 remaining GPs can join in on B's side. This is just when it is available -- I don't know how the AI would weight it and what would make the AI choose to intervene.

However, I did find some interesting items in the defines.lua regarding GPs:

code:
GREAT_POWER_ACTIONS_DISABLE_VERSUS_PLAYER = 1, --If set to 1, AI will never perform Great Power actions (directly) hurting a human player.
SHIELD_GLOW_RANGE = 0.28,						-- Set to 0 to disable Great Power shield glow, set to 1 for epileptic seizure.
I'm not sure what that first part means -- maybe prevents the AI from using the Break Alliance action? Because I know I've had the other three used on me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

100 years into my Ethiopia game. I'm the #3 world power after Castille and the Ottomans (who I have a 100 trust alliance with). Pretty much every country near me will accede to my territorial demands. I think I made a huge mistake, though - I took expansion ideas instead of religious, and I think I hamstrung myself pretty bad in doing so. Now that the expansion CB is gone, religious seems to be mandatory for Ethiopia.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sloshmonger posted:

I went through the game data to look for more information, but like all diplomatic actions, it's hardcoded. That action is available on any war that has an unbalanced number of great powers. So if Alllaince A has 3 GPs, and Alliance B has 2, one uninvolved GP can intervene and join on the side of Alliance B. If A has 4, and B has 1, the other 3 remaining GPs can join in on B's side. This is just when it is available -- I don't know how the AI would weight it and what would make the AI choose to intervene.

However, I did find some interesting items in the defines.lua regarding GPs:

GREAT_POWER_ACTIONS_DISABLE_VERSUS_PLAYER = 1, --If set to 1, AI will never perform Great Power actions (directly) hurting a human player.
SHIELD_GLOW_RANGE = 0.28, -- Set to 0 to disable Great Power shield glow, set to 1 for epileptic seizure.

I'm not sure what that first part means -- maybe prevents the AI from using the Break Alliance action? Because I know I've had the other three used on me.

It says "hurting" a human player; taking on all of your debt and giving you free monarch points shouldn't count as harm. Intervening in a war against you seems harmful, but I guess the devs rationalized it as not directly harmful?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It says "hurting" a human player; taking on all of your debt and giving you free monarch points shouldn't count as harm. Intervening in a war against you seems harmful, but I guess the devs rationalized it as not directly harmful?

Seriously though, buddying up to a wealthy GP and having your loans disappear almost as fast as you can make them is great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't even fathom how people conquer the world. It's 1700 and I've taken about half of europe and am totally unstoppable but have lost any will to play more because :effort:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's honestly a huge drag. The contest isn't even remotely "can I conquer the world", it's "can I conquer the world before 1821", and it's not very fun when you succeed, and extremely lovely when you fail. But you gotta get those cheevos.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Baronjutter posted:

I can't even fathom how people conquer the world. It's 1700 and I've taken about half of europe and am totally unstoppable but have lost any will to play more because :effort:

And now you know why people play Ironman and start doing cheevos like Gothic Invasion.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some day I will succeed at sunset invasion

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Dithmarschen update: toothpaste communism is a huge drag at first but it's not hard to survive, and if you can get through the first few territorial acquisitions and pick up Hamburg through fuckery it makes a much better capital than lovely peasant marshland. Onward to victory, comrades! :ussr:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Iron man is a bit of a game changer. I tried as Lithuania to beat up Brandeburg and with their super troops they beat me handily.

And now I can't save scum and not cancel war, they beat me up and stole my provinces :argh:

Game good. Also at some point, I didn't play after maybe the first few expansions but for some reason the game is just "clicking" for me right now. I think it helps that the country internally feels more alive than before where you were just a giant blob that spread across the map. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Some day I will succeed at sunset invasion

It's honestly not that bad, you just have to take it slow and allow your tech to catch up instead of blobbing too hard in America. And hope France doesn't get a PU over England or some poo poo like that, I guess.

• Locked thread