Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Nordick posted:

You're welcome. :) I like them both a lot, but Churchhouse Creepers just about manages to inch into the #1 spot for me. I see what you mean about the repetitiveness, I just don't mind because it's hella good repetition. Also the last song is a helluva good album closer.

This is another definite standout from the stuff I've discovered there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-cem1jwmLA

I gave it a few more listens and I decided I quite like Churchhouse Creepers if only for the fun they're very clearly having.

The Archaic Revival is nasty and dirty. I can't help but think of Van Halen and Mr Big in places, haha. Another good rec, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

My personal favourite is still Metallica's '89 Seattle performance included on the Binge & Purge DVD. They're still all playing with the tightness and energy they used to have (also James is still running on multiple bottles of whisky per night) and it makes for an amazing show.

Also watching it, no wonder Jason's neck became permanently hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F156LyxoLUU
Jason was too loving metal for his own neck.

There are several standout live shows and it would be pointless to argue which one is "the best", but this one is certainly one of them. The later Mexico one is also pretty good but is already starting to be watered down by Black album stuff.

The Deep Purple show at the very same California Jam is also great, they even blow up a loving amp. and almost set Richie on fire, how metal is that.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Speaking of Deep Purple, this seems like as good a thread as any to post this story from a friend of mine:

quote:

my grandma before she died requested that they play Deep Purple at the funeral which was this ballad-type song from the 40-50's or something. but my uncle thought she was talking about the band so we're all sitting there choked up after everyone had said their thing at the ceremony and then Smoke on the Water starts slowly fading on the speakers and a bunch of us couldn't breathe because we were laughing so hard and the rest were super mad at us

quote:

the night before she passed she was in really bad shape and everyone knew it was coming, so my mom, two of her brothers, and a bunch of the sisters were at the house to say their final words and have some closure before it happened, and four of them including The Uncle and my mom were in the room when she brought it up because they were the ones doing all the planning. Everyone else knew that she was talking about a song from her childhood but when she said something about it possibly being hard to find I know my uncle's brain went "I got a ton of Deep Purple cd's in the truck!" and jumped on the opportunity to help and welp

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LMFAO

That is loving amazing.

DUN DUN DUNNN DUN DUN DA DUNNNNNN

GRANDMA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19hPfKdFqI

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the band named after Richie's grandma's favorite song in the first place? So I guess somehow that all works out :3:

And yeah, the story is pretty hilarious. But I can also totally see some hardcore rocker actually wanting something like that. If anything, I'm surprised Lemmy didn't have "Killed by Death" as his song.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Judging by the one track here, I think this album might be a pretty good one.
http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/appalling-ascension

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Contributing, here's a friend of a friend's band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIgVyJgGdCU

I like them - they remind me a bit of Motorhead.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Lucas Archer posted:

Contributing, here's a friend of a friend's band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIgVyJgGdCU

I like them - they remind me a bit of Motorhead.
Motorhead? This song is the Slough Feggiest of Slough Feg tributes

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Judging by the one track here, I think this album might be a pretty good one.
http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/appalling-ascension
the Kerry King solos are kind of disappointing but these riffs are rad

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I went to see Cavalera Conspiracy play the entire Roots album last night. It was not good.

Max is basically the Ozzy Osbourne of bad 90's nu metal at this point. Avoid at all costs.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he's been looking rough for a while now and he barely sings or plays half the time

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he's been looking rough for a while now and he barely sings or plays half the time

Exactly that, yeah. He was trying to get the crowd to sing a long to vast parts of the album and he barely played his guitar at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did they try to sing along with 'Ratamahatta'?

Roots is pretty lovely looking back altho it was the first album I bought of Sepultura's.

Now, if they can do a tour of just Beneath the Remains I'll be in heaven.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vintersorg posted:

Did they try to sing along with 'Ratamahatta'?

Roots is pretty lovely looking back altho it was the first album I bought of Sepultura's.

Now, if they can do a tour of just Beneath the Remains I'll be in heaven.

Roots was bad but I remember buying the 'Blood Rooted' EP which also had a few live tracks which contains probably my favorite recording of Beneath the Remains.

EDIT: I think that was also my first Sepultura album I bought, which was $4 out of a bargain bin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This photo is the best thing Sepultura ever did

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's hard for me to remember since their band name is so generic and lovely, but is Atheist a bunch of racist nazis or are they cool dudes?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ulcerate is so loving awesome. Seen them twice now and I don't think there's another band currently out there with that tight of a live show.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's hard for me to remember since their band name is so generic and lovely, but is Atheist a bunch of racist nazis or are they cool dudes?
Cool dudes

There were a lot of gay people (like most of Cynic) in that whole Florida tech scene so most band members from there were pretty cool with marginalized groups

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 30, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vulture Culture posted:

Cool dudes

There were a lot of gay people (like most of Cynic) in that whole Florida tech scene so most band members from there were pretty cool with marginalized groups

Awesome, I saw that one of the dudes from that band is opening a brewery in Sarasota, FL, and for some reason I think I'm getting them infused with Deicide. But I'll be sure to give them a try once they open now someone vouched for them.

Edit: misread the article, theyre cooperating with a local brewery to make a branded beer for the bar the frontman owns. Either way, glad they're not Nazis.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 30, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Awesome, I saw that one of the dudes from that band is opening a brewery in Sarasota, FL, and for some reason I think I'm getting them infused with Deicide. But I'll be sure to give them a try once they open now someone vouched for them.

Edit: misread the article, theyre cooperating with a local brewery to make a branded beer for the bar the frontman owns. Either way, glad they're not Nazis.

You might also be thinking of Malevolent Creation, though neither are nazis, just Florida rednecks. AFAIK Atheist are just stoners.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Everyone in metal is secretly a Nazi.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

Everyone in metal is secretly a Nazi.
Also neofolk and alt-country.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

The metal/nazi crossover is alarmingly rampant but I assume it has a lot to do with the metal/stupid crossover.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I really really like HtSD. It's a great Metallica album and there are so many killer riffs and catchy hooks. I don't ever care to mentally compare x new album to a bands old work and all of that so the reality of it is that it gives me the same pleasure I always got from jamming all the other Metallica songs I grew up with and have loved and that's what I've wanted from them for a long time. Maybe I'm easy to please but it genuinely hits the spot for good no frills metal and has to be up there with my favorites from 2016.

I think the most difficult part for me was getting into the production but after cranking it in my car yesterday I came to appreciate it. Yeah it's clean and "sterile" but everything sounds powerful like it should.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Deicide are not nazi either.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A human heart posted:

Deicide are not nazi either.

Disma?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Craig Pillard might be

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
A friend of mine once tried to shake hands with the guys from Deicide (or at least im pretty sure it was Deicide) and one of them said "I dont shake hands with niggers" soooooooooooo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

they're cool and made some great tunes

also big fans othe denim hotpants

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Do you think a lot of idiots listened to Slayer because they thought the name was Tom Aryan?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Faffel posted:

Do you think a lot of idiots listened to Slayer because they thought the name was Tom Aryan?

wait...what?!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Testament are loving awesome still. They headlined a show here right after the end of their EU support tour with Amarth and were totally stoked to be headlining. They kept going for like 90mins+

Also Hoglan and Digiorgio...gently caress

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Faffel posted:

That and Slayer doing a fan song about Josef Mengele.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

Testament are loving awesome still. They headlined a show here right after the end of their EU support tour with Amarth and were totally stoked to be headlining. They kept going for like 90mins+

skolnick, hoglan, and digiorgio should start a jazz trio

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

On one hand I think Testament have always been boring. On the other, that's their rhythm section now?!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cardiac posted:

That and Slayer doing a fan song about Josef Mengele.

i mean there's also the whole slayer wehrmacht thing.

they commonly use the iron eagle.

that and

not saying slayer are nazis, but it's easy to see how people can get the misconception

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Craig Pillard might be

He was one of the bassists for Intolitarian at Hells Headbash back in September and gave a power fist then quickly turned it into a Roman salute. Combine that with his pro-Nazi sympathy projects in the past and his non-sensical ramblings on Facebook about ultra conservative values and you have yourself an incredibly strong case to be made.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i mean there's also the whole slayer wehrmacht thing.

they commonly use the iron eagle.

that and

not saying slayer are nazis, but it's easy to see how people can get the misconception

also the s in their logo being really similar to the ss insignia and putting out shirts with the totenkopf on it

jeff hannemann was really into the aesthetics like lemmy, and after he died kerry started jocking the raider nation poo poo for similar reasons

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
:siren: :siren: :siren: Caladan Brood are working on new stuff!!!!!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

They broke a 3 year silence on their facebook page and announced:

Mortal Sword posted:

Firstly, we would like to address a question we have seen posed often in messages and posts on our page: yes, new material from us is on the horizon. We are writing and recording. We are active. Both of us are always very busy juggling a variety of musical projects, but Caladan Brood is important to us and we are slowly but surely forging original material.

Full quote below but I guess this started due to them putting out a Summoning cover on some compilation which is pretty great ( anything from Minas Morgul would be a winner really ):

Mortal Sword posted:

It has been some time since we last broke the silence on this page. Since we have a Summoning cover featured on an upcoming tribute compilation, we would like to take this opportunity to post an update on our activities. This will be something of a lengthy post; the first half will cover the status of Caladan Brood as a project, and the second half will shed some light on the circumstances surrounding the recording of the cover of 'Farewell' we contributed to 'In Mordor Where the Shadows Are - Homage to Summoning'.

Firstly, we would like to address a question we have seen posed often in messages and posts on our page: yes, new material from us is on the horizon. We are writing and recording. We are active. Both of us are always very busy juggling a variety of musical projects, but Caladan Brood is important to us and we are slowly but surely forging original material.

Regarding our participation in this Summoning tribute compilation, we would like to first and foremost thank Wolfspell Records for asking us to contribute. We only discovered the invitation a few weeks ago, but we decided to agree to record a cover in spite of the imminent deadline. As a result, this is by far the fastest any of our recordings have ever come to fruition. The cover was learned, recorded, engineered, and mixed in its entirety at Shield Anvil's home in just two sessions, and mastered by Dave Otero in a matter of hours. It was a whirlwind project completed white-knuckled and with gritted teeth, but it was a great exercise in stretching our legs insofar as moving a recording from concept to completion goes. We are looking forward to applying this energy toward finalizing some of the original material we have been chipping away at.

Regarding our music no longer being available on Spotify and Google Play: we had no involvement in our music being removed from these services. We also were completely unaware that our music was available on those platforms in the first place. Bandcamp is the only digital music distribution and streaming platform that we have direct involvement in.

Lastly, we have paid attention to the overwhelming requests that we stock some items in our online store. We wanted to wait until we had some sort of musical content to present before making merchandise, so we are using the release of this tribute to Summoning as the impetus to provide people who missed our first round of shirts and patches with the opportunity to obtain some. We will have a few merch options available online within the coming months, and we will make a post here on Facebook when we stock the armoury.

And so, without further ado, here is our contribution to 'In Mordor Where the Shadows Are - Homage to Summoning':
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=52rD4YDFHM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Mr. Pickles posted:

I like Testament but their live shows always sound like poo poo and way too loud. A combination making things even worse. Saw them about 8 times, I think I've seen them once with an acceptable soundmix.