Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

peter gabriel posted:

For what it's worth I've never been sold on the idea of valves in pedals either, just seems like they tap into a specific market (tone chasers) and I dunno, I'd sooner get a good valve amp if that's what I want to achieve.

the idea of more tubes the better is lost on me too which is also marketed to tone dads as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Smash it Smash hit posted:

JFETS, depending on their circuit can behave alot like preamp tubes. So people who tend to prefer the natural distortion of preamp tubes probably love JFETs for the most part. I have a MosFET running the preamp of my tube amp instead of a 12ax and I really like the way it sounds. My amp tech who used to work at the NJ amp factory likes them as well

yeah it's really common to just replace triode stages with jfets to make amp clone pedals

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Yeah realistically I could pick up a nice used Peavy classic 30 or other low end beater tube amp for the less money and have an actual usable combo. Not looking to add more boxes to my already cramped jamspace though but once I think about it through that mindset, a pedal like that really doesn't make sense.

I mainly want some kind of drive that is flexible enough to almost act as the front end of my sound. Something I could leave at one setting in front of my GT 100 but drive further with the Gt 100s compressors, boosts and even other overdrives. The drives aren't great in the GT but I figure I could sue them just to flavor or boost my main analog drive.

I'll probably pick up another box of rock if I see a good deal. I don't even know why I got rid of it, it was great. It will Velcro nicely on top of my GT and batteries last forever in those things.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

Yeah realistically I could pick up a nice used Peavy classic 30 or other low end beater tube amp for the less money and have an actual usable combo. Not looking to add more boxes to my already cramped jamspace though but once I think about it through that mindset, a pedal like that really doesn't make sense.

I mainly want some kind of drive that is flexible enough to almost act as the front end of my sound. Something I could leave at one setting in front of my GT 100 but drive further with the Gt 100s compressors, boosts and even other overdrives. The drives aren't great in the GT but I figure I could sue them just to flavor or boost my main analog drive.

I'll probably pick up another box of rock if I see a good deal. I don't even know why I got rid of it, it was great. It will Velcro nicely on top of my GT and batteries last forever in those things.

i used to use a Caroline Icarus for that with my V4 but my current amp is not as bright on the midrange and the caroline has a bit of dark sound to it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The Fulltone 3 does everything I need, but I don't know what you want to achieve sounds wise

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i just run my gain and pickups a bit hot and just pull back on the volume when i want to soften up. ( which is never :twisted: )

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

peter gabriel posted:

The Fulltone 3 does everything I need, but I don't know what you want to achieve sounds wise

Had the blue version. Same deal as the mofset for me. I liked the drive a lot, but it was too different from my clean tone. They all added that kind of tube screamer honk to my sound. It's tough to judge though, I didn't get to use either of those in a band setting. In a mix that focused and almost notched sound is usually great.

Just found a Zvex distortron modded with a stomp switch for the high vs low gain instead of the toggle switch. Picking it up. Its small enough to velcro to my gt100 and still only lug one "single" pedalboard around. I never used the clean boost of the box of rock anyways. This should be very close to the sound with more tweakablity.

Now if I can just find a way to daisey chain the power from my GT into the distorton I'd be set.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
yeah i have a different view of drives and pedals basically my theory is that i want to make it sound as different to my clean tone as possible without being too silly

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

philkop posted:

Now if I can just find a way to daisey chain the power from my GT into the distorton I'd be set.

If they use the same voltage, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MGYNGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

philkop posted:

Had the blue version. Same deal as the mofset for me. I liked the drive a lot, but it was too different from my clean tone. They all added that kind of tube screamer honk to my sound. It's tough to judge though, I didn't get to use either of those in a band setting. In a mix that focused and almost notched sound is usually great.

These are just suggestions based on what I know so may be off base but I use a TC Spark to give me more drive while not colouring the amp tone, maybe that could be an option?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
try getting some klon clone ?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Holy poo poo the GT is totally 9V. I just kind of assumed it was more. I tested with a daisy chain I had lying around and it worked fine.

If I am using the original power cable from the GT is there any chance adding another compatable pedal via the chain would effect the GT in any way? I really don't feel like frying this thing.

peter gabriel posted:

These are just suggestions based on what I know so may be off base but I use a TC Spark to give me more drive while not colouring the amp tone, maybe that could be an option?

Snagged that Zvex Distorton just now. It seems to be everything I like about the Box of Rock and more tweaking. The clean boost on the BOR was pointless for my setup. It ran after the drive so it didn't even boost the drive. I'm sure its great through a driven tube amp, but its just a louder button on my JC.

The Distortron I got has an extra foot pedal on it to switch from light to high gain. Perfect for me.

I'll post some picks when I get this thing attached to my GT

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm finding those 20 watt Blackstars on sale at Sweetwater very tempting.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

I have the Tube Drive preamp this guy makes - the Blackbird tones I'd been hearing weren't doing anything for me (too Soldano-y, I'm an indie music type). The pedal does not "tubeify" my little SS Danelectro practice amp or help it sound decent at all. It robs some of the dynamics out of my (already very hot) Fralin P-92 / SP-42 Tele setup but adds quite a bit of sparkle + chime to my Music Man HD130 hybrid (which in spite of its SS preamp isn't discernable in sound from a tube amp to my ear at all). I play with the preamp dimed most of the time and control breakup with the volume on the guitar.

It takes quite a bit of futzing with this pedal to find sounds that work for me - probably because of my preamp being set as it is - but that's a good thing: it has a huge range of different sounds depending on the potentiometer settings, all of which interact fairly dramatically, but also not unpredictably.

I have a Randall Commander 210 (it's badass) but I can't report on how this pedal sounds with it, because that amp, solid state as it is, really doesn't have any apartment-friendly volume settings. I'm moving this week though so could let you know how it interacts with it soon though

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

philkop posted:

Snagged that Zvex Distorton just now. It seems to be everything I like about the Box of Rock and more tweaking. The clean boost on the BOR was pointless for my setup. It ran after the drive so it didn't even boost the drive. I'm sure its great through a driven tube amp, but its just a louder button on my JC.

This is one thing the Fulldrive 3 does, it has a separate section now for the clean boost and a switch to put it before or after the OD, I have to say I am impressed with it overall. It's the closest I have got to a useable overdrive pedal for me.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
when i did gently caress with over drives i found a wet/dry mix so crucial

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like this capability on the T-Rex Moller.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yes! That's the difference between the Pork Loin and the Fulltone, the Pork Loin was inaudible unless you let it take over completely, the Fulldrive I can dial in easily and I really like that.
I am however at the point now where I may go back to TC Spark into the clean channel dimed as that thing has 1 knob on it and I love that.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Schlieren posted:

range of different sounds depending on the potentiometer settings

This helps confirm that it isn't what I was looking for since I'd want to set it and forget it. Glad you had a decent experience with it though.

wet/dry mix so crucial

I love my GT 100 for this. I can stick any pedal in the effect loop and have a different wet/dry balance on a patch by patch basis. I could even leave my drive dimed and control the input amount being sent into it, thus toning down or increasing the amount of drive. I don't use patches really, instead I run it like a regular pedalboard but the option is there. I can move the analog drive around in the chain on the fly if I want to run delays before drive or something like that.

People like to poo poo on these a lot, my old self included, but I got a crazy deal on it and I am really beginning to love the utility of it. I don't touch the drives or preamps for what its worth but I wasn't looking for either of those things out of this box. I was looking for decent enough versions of the effects I use often (comp, wah, delay, phaser) in a single easy to move package and enough misc effects to keep me from going down the G.A.S. rabbit hole. And its just that. Decent.

E: I'm beginning to realize I may be a Roland fanboy

philkop fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 1, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

philkop posted:

People like to poo poo on these a lot

Not me!
I have wanted one ever since I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbo58jcyi8

If it's good enough for Jonny it's good enough for me

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

peter gabriel posted:

Not me!
I have wanted one ever since I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbo58jcyi8

If it's good enough for Jonny it's good enough for me

Heh that video helped push me over the edge when considering the purchase.

If your a Marr fan, you've most likely seen these but if not, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW1QsSIqGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX0fX47rQMc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

philkop posted:

Heh that video helped push me over the edge when considering the purchase.

If your a Marr fan, you've most likely seen these but if not, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW1QsSIqGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX0fX47rQMc

I do like him, he's from near me so I think that influences me.
A mate of mine worked in a music shop back when and Jonny came in and bought all the wah pedals they had. Apparently he was going to give them out at a battle of the bands, dude is cool imo

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
for some reason i tranversed "good tone" in the desire for a "unique tone"

sold all my clean beautiful drives/reverbs for signal manglers.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

sold all my clean beautiful drives/reverbs for signal manglers.

I agree and disagree. "Tone" for me, whether it be good or unique, comes from the fingers and I prefer a drive that lets that shine ;D. For me its a lot like how 5 different saxophone players can play the same sax and all have a totally different tone.

I can get behind both sides though. I can dig the My Bloody Valentine stuff where you can't even discern the original signal from the texture that comes out.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

I agree and disagree. "Tone" for me, whether it be good or unique, comes from the fingers and I prefer a drive that lets that shine ;D. For me its a lot like how 5 different saxophone players can play the same sax and all have a totally different tone.

I can get behind both sides though. I can dig the My Bloody Valentine stuff where you can't even discern the original signal from the texture that comes out.

i am a terrible guitarist and have delay/reverbs for days and modulations/glitches that sound like a tape deck is being gargled in a wood chipper

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

i am a terrible guitarist and have delay/reverbs for days and modulations/glitches that sound like a tape deck is being gargled in a wood chipper

I like the sound of that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuAaTEn8fcw

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone know anything about the quality of the di cabclone in modern Mesa Boogies?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I have no first hand experience but if it's anything like the standalone version it's probably garbage.

Watch this awkward video where Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton try and rationalise why it sounds so bad. Presumeably the strange Danish man has their families held hostage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCskTx1vYKU

Really I'll just take any excuse to post this video.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the story behind that video is pretty funny and makes mesa seem extremely thin-skinned over making one crappy product

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I saw a review for that a while ago by a shouty man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGo9d2W7N-8

I dunno, they seem pretty below par :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

peter gabriel posted:

Oh hey, it's that rear end in a top hat.

No matter how useful any given piece of info is that might come from him, I can't take it seriously because he comes off as the most arrogant know-it-all dickhead on the internet who loudly scoffs and rolls his eyes at literally everything that deviates even slightly from his own personal opinion. Like for example in his review on the Axe-Fx, he basically states that the whole product is useless and retarded and that nobody should ever even think of buying one because to him, it's just a more expensive way to get 5150 tone. Because who in the world could possibly want anything other than the sound of a 5150 exactly how he personally would dial it in? And of course he completely wrote off the other 99% of what the thing can do.

I think I'm going to take a page from his book and start a youtube channel reviewing every video game ever made that's not Doom II as garbage because it's not Doom II.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 2, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
d

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 2, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GreatGreen posted:

Oh hey, it's that rear end in a top hat.

No matter how useful any given piece of info is that might come from him, I can't take it seriously because he comes off as the most arrogant know-it-all dickhead on the internet who loudly scoffs and rolls his eyes at literally everything that deviates even slightly from his own personal opinion?

For what it's worth I agree 100%

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

peter gabriel posted:

For what it's worth I agree 100%

I mean he's definitely not wrong, that cab clone sounds exactly like you threw a blanket over your speakers. Like did Mesa even a/b this poo poo

But he sounds like a Dilbert character come to life

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
glenn fricker's how-to videos aren't bad but yeah he's kind of a pud

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

I mean he's definitely not wrong, that cab clone sounds exactly like you threw a blanket over your speakers. Like did Mesa even a/b this poo poo

But he sounds like a Dilbert character come to life

He's the oldest edgelord on the net, he really tries a bit too hard. He seems to know his stuff but the impenetrable wall of zany attitude puts me off

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

peter gabriel posted:

I'm a complete newbie but I don't understand what the point of the cab clone is. Do you plug into it instead of an amp and record directly from it or what?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah a cab clone is basically for low-volume home studio sort of things. Ideally you can get ~*the sound*~ of a 4x12 (or whatever) without actually moving all that air and needing to worry about acoustics/your neighbors practicing voodoo for revenge. Some products are better at this than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Pepper posted:

I'm a complete newbie but I don't understand what the point of the cab clone is. Do you plug into it instead of an amp and record directly from it or what?

close- you plug the amp into it then you can record directly from that without having to hook the amp up to speakers

Bill Posters posted:

Watch this awkward video where Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton try and rationalise why it sounds so bad. Presumeably the strange Danish man has their families held hostage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_bQvifIcw4

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 3, 2016