Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

rio posted:

I finally got my 3 recent 3 star pulls to 5 stars each so I have 4 5 star characters on my team! (CoD, Faris, Exdeath and Elza who was already 5 star). Lenna is still 3 but I'll work on her next. These Black Friday bundles have been helpful.

Question - what are the mechanics of the rewards based on who I am choosing to fight in the arena? If I choose someone lower rank, equal, or higher rank are the rewards different? I am not seeing too much difference but maybe I am missing something. Should I just be choosing the scrubbiest opponent that I have from the choices each time?

Winning >>>>>>>>>>>> losing as you get medals (ratio * 10 rounded down I believe) when you win, one medal if you lose. Also your rank score goes up by (ratio + streak bonus) if you win, 10 pts if you lose.

So cherry pick to your heart's content. This is what I do and it gets me top 30k for weekly/monthly easily. Could have possibly made top 3k this week if I pushed it and did a couple of lapis refreshes, and the highest ratio I fought might have been a 1.10? Most were .80-.90.

Another thing - the streak bonus is pretty important to keep around. Wiping the floor with the guy who has a Rain/Lasswell/Bedile/etc. as their leader over and over again can be very advantageous!

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Monthly arena resets, guy at top of my opponent's list at 1.50 ratio with Exdeath lead but only rank 68: 4 FP units and Zidane.

I love free ranking points. Got 4 games off him.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

AegisP posted:

Monthly arena resets, guy at top of my opponent's list at 1.50 ratio with Exdeath lead but only rank 68: 4 FP units and Zidane.

I love free ranking points. Got 4 games off him.

Haha I just fought that same guy I think, had Rizer, Tronn, Liza, Baurg and Zidane.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

deathbagel posted:

Haha I just fought that same guy I think, had Rizer, Tronn, Liza, Baurg and Zidane.

That's the one!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PopeCrunch posted:

Wait so hold the gently caress up I literally can't awaken CoD without some bullshit i need candy corn / karma / jars of ape cum / whatever in order to get?

Apparently I can gently caress myself.

It won't be that difficult to get enough jars of ape cum during the grinding events for Awakening materials. It's the things like Trust Moogles that are the real grind.

FAKE EDIT: Yes I know this response is late, I just really wanted to type "ape cum."

PopeCrunch posted:

also is it just me or does seeing rain or lasswell in arena teams basically translate to assured victory

It's not just you.

Basically it's: No Cecil? Get Murked... for the other team.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Lightning had better get a bonus in this event, it'll make having pulled a second one actually worthwhile.

Lightning will show up with Hope and Fang in the second week of this event. Probably. I'm guessing.

LizardBeam posted:

So are TM macros more or less required to be anything but a scrub? And they don't like ban folks for it?

I started a while ago casually, but I have 6* Exdeath, Cecil and Refia now, and waiting on mats for CoD and Gilgamesh (I got really lucky, which is nice, he is my favorite FF character.) I am just feeling a bit cagey about botting.

Absolutely not. You will be somewhere below whales and TM grinders, but you will not be a scrub at all with units like those.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah my strategy of 'look for a rain, lasswell, or garbo trash character as lead, spam 5x thundaga, win' is treating me nicely, I'm still a babby at this game and got to rank 88k

e: like even if they resist lightning, that just means I win on turn 8 instead of turn 2

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I like picking Exdeaths. Like, you're going to have at most something like 3400 hp since nobody puts HP on their Exdeaths*, and the AI seems to actively not use Dualcast. Between Elza and my own Exdeath, you're already dead and Cecil can't even save you.

* Except for this week specifically which is whatever.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
k screw it, gonna ticket 11 hopefully for FAR ISS, and if get early, will attempt for Greg

3* ECKSDETH
3* Kuja
3* Maria
3* FAR ISS
4* alma
3* BUTZ
3* Amarant
3* ECKSDETH
4* Edgar
3* Penelo
3* ECKSDETH

No greg, but wasnt expecting to. Still, got FAR ISS and BUTZ, and a shitload of tree's.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I want an Exdeath or Garland or Lenna.

*sigh* Times are tough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm real sad I haven't gotten an exdeath yet. The fact that the next banner is so poo poo makes me want to spend all my tickets on this one because I really want an exdeath. Even if he can't use my cool spooky hat.

What mages are better then him, anyway?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I think the only better mages turn out to be 5* base.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got the Bell (harp weapon?) from the event dungeon and have no one good who can use it...and I can't get anything else to drop that I can actually use except the dumb joke swords from Gilgamesh. This is my first try at an event and it is pretty disappointing. I can almost beat pro level and I will try again tomorrow, but it seems like a rng bullshit fest to get anything useful out of it. Is that how these events typically go?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Nuebot posted:

I'm real sad I haven't gotten an exdeath yet. The fact that the next banner is so poo poo makes me want to spend all my tickets on this one because I really want an exdeath. Even if he can't use my cool spooky hat.

What mages are better then him, anyway?

Accoding to the JP tierlist, quite a few.

But the only one of them that is out here Ramza.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

So I just finished off the last bit of story content and I'm actually interested in where it goes now. I admit to skipping most of the story bits for the first couple of islands, but things are definitely going at a less... tropey? stereotypical? I guess less "generic RPG boilerplate" path than I was expecting. It's a nice bonus, especially for a free-to-play game.

Was Brave Frontier's story decent, or even there at all? I never bothered to get past the tutorial.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

rio posted:

I got the Bell (harp weapon?) from the event dungeon and have no one good who can use it...and I can't get anything else to drop that I can actually use except the dumb joke swords from Gilgamesh. This is my first try at an event and it is pretty disappointing. I can almost beat pro level and I will try again tomorrow, but it seems like a rng bullshit fest to get anything useful out of it. Is that how these events typically go?

Oh, nothing drops for this event, it's all first-clear bonuses only.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Twisted Eye posted:

Oh, nothing drops for this event, it's all first-clear bonuses only.

Oh, I was wondering where that bell came from since I didn't remember it dropping. Ok, well I'll just hope that something useable comes from clearing pro once my friend list refreshes tomorrow and I choose some diesel Lightning to come with.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ INT was the bell harp, ADV was a summon ticket. Pro gets you. 52 ATK spear that attacks twice. ELT Is a Trust Moogle.

Mr. Swoon posted:

Was Brave Frontier's story decent, or even there at all? I never bothered to get past the tutorial.

Further question: Is Brave Frontier's story finished? That might make me want to play it casually.

Different question: I've got a Butz who is closing in on 5 stars so I can't test this out for myself. Does the Golem Staff effect trigger when Butz uses Gale Barrage, which has 5 hits instead of 4? I've got my Dual Wield materia on him, he's gonna be my best Barrager for sure one day soon.

Gale Barrage with Dual Wield and a Golem Staff sounds like a good time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

rio posted:

I think this is the second like this. A few levels from Beginner to Elite where the completion reward is trash all the way until Elite-1 which has the unique prize then Elite gives a trust moogle. The other one I remember is a FF4 Giant of Babel dungeon where you fight the four fiends and Golbez who has a party-wide RNG death attack. :rip:

More often it's a grind event: Do the event instance to get event currency that you spend on w/e including 6* awakening mats, some gear and abilities, a trust moogle, and 100 gigantaurs. Exact grindiness varies, last one had heaps of bullshit RNG to get good returns. The upcoming one might be more of the same, it gives bonus currency if you do the event instance with characters introduced on the same day the event starts. We'll have to see when more details become available though.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
yeah the FF4 event wasnt so bad aside that bullshit AOE Death attack

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Scrublord Prime posted:

I think this is the second like this. A few levels from Beginner to Elite where the completion reward is trash all the way until Elite-1 which has the unique prize then Elite gives a trust moogle. The other one I remember is a FF4 Giant of Babel dungeon where you fight the four fiends and Golbez who has a party-wide RNG death attack. :rip:

More often it's a grind event: Do the event instance to get event currency that you spend on w/e including 6* awakening mats, some gear and abilities, a trust moogle, and 100 gigantaurs. Exact grindiness varies, last one had heaps of bullshit RNG to get good returns. The upcoming one might be more of the same, it gives bonus currency if you do the event instance with characters introduced on the same day the event starts. We'll have to see when more details become available though.

Generally the events alternate between a King Mog event and a one time clear event. Usually the King Mog events have easier bosses since you are meant to grind them.

rio posted:

Oh, I was wondering where that bell came from since I didn't remember it dropping. Ok, well I'll just hope that something useable comes from clearing pro once my friend list refreshes tomorrow and I choose some diesel Lightning to come with.

If you need help you can use my Ramza. He can solo pro using dualcast drain or you can use focus and fullbreak and two round him with dualcast ultima. 180,156,530

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for all of the info guys, and thanks for the Ramza - I am going to add you now because that spear from pro is right up my alley as a weapon for Elza.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014

The man called M posted:

Accoding to the JP tierlist, quite a few.

But the only one of them that is out here Ramza.

Except.....Exdeath is quite a bit better than ramza?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Further question: Is Brave Frontier's story finished? That might make me want to play it casually.

The only mobile game I've ever seen that "finished" its story was Terra Battle. You keep the story pointlessly serialized so that you can keep the people who are playing for the story in your gacha hell right alongside the people who are in it for :spergin:.

That said, the original "plot" is done, as is the second one.

The third part, currently in progress, is utter bullshit and basically removes your access to all the humongous overpowered units you're drawing constantly from the gacha now, forcing you to use low-rank poo poo that you've inevitably evolved past their low rank origins. It's a great idea in theory but it's also violently counterproductive to everything you need to do to get to that point so, you know. Not a fan.

Hardbody posted:

Except.....Exdeath is quite a bit better than ramza?

Altema's rankings take all possible TM rewards into account. Ramza has more than magic he can fall back on with his support poo poo and a few physical skills, and barring that, he can drop doublecast Ultimas just as easily as Exdeath can drop them - with only a single TMR in their belt (Ultima in Exdeath's case, Dualcast in Ramza's). With stacked Letters to Arms, he ends up equivalent but more versatile.

Altema also boosts characters based on whether they get skill enhancements or not. Ramza does, but to my knowledge Exdeath does not have any yet.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 1, 2016

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
I'm aware of how Altema ranks it's list. The question is: IS Exdeath the best mage on global right now? The answer is yes, and for a while until we get majin fina?

Talking about how Ramza compares now with far off enhancements is like talking about how DKC is really good.......... Once he gets enhancements. It has no bearing on the current Global meta.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fiss posted:

Generally the events alternate between a King Mog event and a one time clear event. Usually the King Mog events have easier bosses since you are meant to grind them.

If you need help you can use my Ramza. He can solo pro using dualcast drain or you can use focus and fullbreak and two round him with dualcast ultima. 180,156,530

Well that was easy - you were certainly not kidding about soloing Pro. I had no idea that one character could just double cast drain and be invincible like that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hardbody posted:

I'm aware of how Altema ranks it's list. The question is: IS Exdeath the best mage on glabl right now? The answer is yes, and for a while until we get majin fina?

Talking about how Ramza compares now with far off enhancements is like talking about how DKC is really good.......... Once he gets enhancements. It has no bearing on the current Global meta.

Currently, he's the best mage in Global, with Arc in second and then Kefka/Tellah/Krile fighting for third.

The problem is, "for a while" is going to last exactly as long as it takes for the banner that, in JP's rotation, was immediately after this FF5 banner. It's just that Global is catching up with banners it skipped in the past, but as soon as Chizuru and Rain get their 6*s, that's when the Dark Fina banner hits and she becomes the new queen of mage mountain, though I couldn't immediately tell you why.

EDIT: Looking at her entry on Reddit's wiki, it becomes incredibly apparent why. :catstare: Baked-in double Ultima, access to a decent spread of uncommon -ga elements, an ATK/DEF debuff stronger than Full Break's, and a dark magic nuke that gets more powerful when you use it repeatedly? loving hell, where do I sign up?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 1, 2016

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Quotes from Legendary's thread https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5feihn/guide_a_diy_guide_to_answering_the_question_what/

"So Majin Fina. For us on Global (SPOILER) we just "met" her in the story, but we're still (obviously) unable to summon her.(END SPOILER) She's broken as gently caress and her mechanics transcend what we'll talk about here because she literally doesn't give two fucks about them and just does her own drat thing - which fits her in-game personality it seems.

Before enhancements - beyond having 5 -aga spells (thunder, water, stone, aero, bio), as well as graviga, she also comes with Ultima. However she gets an ability called "Dystopia" which is a "ramp-up" ability similar to comet - except it ramps to full power after 3 uses, and gets all the way up to 600% damage - for 45 MP per use...again this is before enhancements.

After enhancements - Yeah. She gets to chain Ultima. You heard me. Ultima becomes a 7-hit, 560% ability, for 45 MP. Now realize this only increases at +0.1x per chain as it's not elemental and can't take on elemental weapon properties either, but still. This is nuts. It's chainable, it's got great returns on MP now (Ultima normally costs 60 MP), and it looks awesome doing it.

Dystopia also gets beefed up, however, to a grand total of 910% after full charge, for 38 MP. Per users in this thread Dystopia has clear weaknesses (such as needing to be cast back-to-back-to-back, and her counters can break this). It is still, however, the strongest 1-hit magic attack in the game, at least for a long time (I haven't found anything stronger).

So. That's how she broke the game in JP. On to other normal mages."

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Given that they are doing this bonus event crap again it's just not worth pulling on this banner at all amirite?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Vax posted:

Given that they are doing this bonus event crap again it's just not worth pulling on this banner at all amirite?

I just finished a pair of Kaiser knucks, so I'm gonna see if I can pull a Snow or two for the crazy TM, but that's about it. Otherwise it's a pretty trash banner.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Vax posted:

Depends on how bad the bullshit of the RNG dropping the required King Mog mats and what you want from the store. I'm budgeting up to five tickets, but I may not bother at all. Gonna wait and see how bad it is.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Thanks a ton gumi. The daily login rewards are all just arena rewards this month. Looks like it's gonna be a dry spell on lapis for awhile.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...so, this is when gumi starts turning the "mobage BS" dial to 11, right?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Gill bundles in the store...not sure if it's worth it but most of us should have a poo poo ton of gill at this point.

Oh hey, finally snagged Faris on my .5 pull. I should make a team of multi colored waifus. I think I got enough for a sailor moon episode.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 1, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Bleh, arena reward summon ticket today? I don't even use the arena, my team isn't up to snuff.

Beat ADV Gilgamesh, used ticket and got another Leo. Is his Aegis Shield any good that I can grind for multiples or is it safe to combine?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh hey, finally snagged Faris on my .5 pull. I should make a team of multi colored waifus. I think I got enough for a sailor moon episode.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Arena is broken for me in a good way. I have full orbs even after running it 5 times and no lapis refreshes!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Cool, I woke up to zero orbs and an hour later I have one orb!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Chen Kenichi posted:

Arena is broken for me in a good way. I have full orbs even after running it 5 times and no lapis refreshes!

Yup. I'm guessing they will take the game down for emergency maintenance soon. Spend your medals while you can in case they take it away or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

so i have two thoughts. firstly this arena bug is bananas, and secondly holy poo poo we sure arent ever getting free lapis again are we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Last half-price pull for a Gilgamesh...Zidane #2.

Okay, okay, I'll start macroing.

• Locked thread