Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Instant Sunrise posted:

even if you had enough faithless electors to get trump below 270 electoral votes, you'd just end up kicking the vote to the republican-gerrymandered house of representatives

well i think the idea is that the GOP selected electors will vote for hillary instead lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

even if you had enough faithless electors to get trump below 270 electoral votes, you'd just end up kicking the vote to the republican-gerrymandered house of representatives

faithless electors deny an EC majority

election gets kicked to the house

house can't settle on someone because there are enough dissenting voices to deny trump, too many crazy voices to allow ryan

gridlock, for dozens of emergency 18-hour (or longer) sessions, until a compromise, when everyone remembers a man who has been proven able to corral and control an unruly congress, truly the most sensible choice, able to satisfy people who wish for an even-handed establishment type AND an orange-faced beast of a man

welcome... president boehner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

Chomsky is the smartest person in the world, if you ever want a reason to hate a us president just read whatever Chomsky wrote about them.

Hey, it worked for Osama Bin Laden

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Instant Sunrise posted:

Trump aside, the horror we find ourselves in is GOP governance. Replacing Trump with Pence is a lateral move considering the cabinet is going to be filled with the same kinds of awful people anyway. Short of the GOP suddenly growing a conscience, trying to stop Trump via electoral college is re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic.

The energy should instead be transferred to stopping GOP legislation and trying to change the Democratic Party from within so they will be ideologically equipped/viable to maybe stymie Reagan 2.0 in 2018 at the earliest. The recent opposition to Pelosi was a pretty empty gesture of "we want party change" without any defined policy prescriptions or ideas on what needs to be different.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

just rally behind bernie LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE ALL ALONG :smuggo:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

How much of a difference could 2 weeks make to the month between the electoral decision and the inauguration?

um, it's a waste of time and energy that could be better spent mobilizing existing networks and organizing new ones to protect immigrants/women/others who will be affected by the latest abject failure of the Democratic Party to maintain any sort of foothold whatsoever?

EDIT: just read the username. Never mind.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Don't electors get to throw their vote to someone instead of just not supporting a candidate?

Neeksy posted:

Trump aside, the horror we find ourselves in is GOP governance. Replacing Trump with Pence is a lateral move considering the cabinet is going to be filled with the same kinds of awful people anyway. Short of the GOP suddenly growing a conscience, trying to stop Trump via electoral college is re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic.

The energy should instead be transferred to stopping GOP legislation and trying to change the Democratic Party from within so they will be ideologically equipped/viable to maybe stymie Reagan 2.0 in 2018 at the earliest. The recent opposition to Pelosi was a pretty empty gesture of "we want party change" without any defined policy prescriptions or ideas on what needs to be different.

Who is putting energy into this? For most people it's a hypothetical, and save the electors themselves, no-one can do anything about it. No-one is putting any eggs in the basket, but at the very least it's an interesting hypothetical, and this is absolutely the moment it was designed to be triggered so we may as well understand what the hell it is.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*in extremely democratic voice* hello uh Jill stein wants to recount Michigan will you help recount please ? maybe it's still her turn ?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

quote:

Part of the problem is that in a way nothing SHOULD be done for THEM specifically; they should leave the countryside and move to the cities and the remainder should only exist for services and jobs that can be sustained in consolidated communities; like servicing wealthy retirees.

the NRO was right????

Also lol from the same poster, it takes on a different implication when combined with the previous statement

quote:

Pretty sure Dems are going to need Obama for 2018 and 2020, so lets hope he becomes the Democratic Reagan

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1NhtqEHirs

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

Also read howard zinn's people's history of the united states if you havent

Currently working my way through this. Baller book that should be required reading imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

there needs to be a youtube vid of kaine just clapping for 10 hours

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah hes a treat haha
love when he does the "hay!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

there needs to be a youtube vid of kaine just clapping for 10 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFT3AhxwCzU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

oh no, Chomsky berated people who don't vote/voted third party that must invalidate all of his opinions.

I got Secret, Lies and Democracy and What Uncle Sam Really Wants. They're shorter but still pretty good.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The fish fry shibboleth.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
You can't insult your way to the presidency Donald

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It occurs to me that, while understanding the reasons why Clinton lost is important, it's long past time for us all, Berniebro and Hillfolk alike, to put aside our differences and unite against our real enemy: Paul Ryan.

Oh and Donald Trump too, I suppose.

Serf
May 5, 2011

docbeard posted:

It occurs to me that, while understanding the reasons why Clinton lost is important, it's long past time for us all, Berniebro and Hillfolk alike, to put aside our differences and unite against our real enemy: Paul Ryan.

the sad thing is that this is a perfectly reasonable statement that tons of liberals will still turn their noses up at because we're loving terrible at uniting

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i will vote for any dem who convinces me that they sincerely understand that capitalism is real bad and that their goal in government is to replace it with something better

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Chomsky has been around doing his thing for decades and hasn't accomplished very much imo. Not that he has been wrong or has been a bad scholar, he hasn't.

But you have to accept the world we live in, even if you don't agree with it. And his image is not one that makes people receptive to what he has to say or motivates them to do anything. He literally looks like the same old guy I saw 30 years ago saying the same things with the states/actors names changed.

I think most people see that and tune him out so the broader more applicable (and true) parts of his scholarship remain ignored. His writings and a number of other historians that explore the same themes, fall into a common trap, of removing the agency from normal people. Every politician and business person is this unstoppable snidely whiplash like character and everyone else is the women roped to the train tracks by default. The reality is (and this may be an unpopular opinion here right now) is that individuals actually have a greater capacity for action than the realize.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie responds to Trump's deal with Carrier.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiyPTSvr6Zk

this video owns

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Serf posted:

the sad thing is that this is a perfectly reasonable statement that tons of liberals will still turn their noses up at because we're loving terrible at uniting

Why unite against a common enemy when there's someone right over there who I can condescend to, it's so much more fun.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Chomsky is great and probably the best English political writer still alive.

He's 423 years old though and so repeats himself a lot. I'd recommend listening to some of his old lectures or speeches, he talks too slowly now but its worth listening to him give his points, his writing tends to come off a bit strident and shrill but then you listen to him and hes very calm and measured.

He's not Jesus Christ your saviour though so he isn't infallible and that and an edginess factor makes people like to poo poo on him.
He's also a byword for "crazy lefty" so people tend to discard him up front, my dad who is a "good liberal" dismissed him as "that anti-semite" when old Chommers has been Jewish longer than Israel has.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

So basically he has the right messaging on this as opposed to what the rest of the dems are gonna do.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

docbeard posted:

Agreed, it's time for everyone to do something around a figure of speech that has no meaningful value to anyone.

We should also agree to fight Trump tooth and nail, to stand up to him, and show him that's were a nation of bhadfgaggaggj;hfgklj

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Lactose Is Wack posted:

Chomsky has been around doing his thing for decades and hasn't accomplished very much imo. Not that he has been wrong or has been a bad scholar, he hasn't.

But you have to accept the world we live in, even if you don't agree with it. And his image is not one that makes people receptive to what he has to say or motivates them to do anything. He literally looks like the same old guy I saw 30 years ago saying the same things with the states/actors names changed.

I think most people see that and tune him out so the broader more applicable (and true) parts of his scholarship remain ignored. His writings and a number of other historians that explore the same themes, fall into a common trap, of removing the agency from normal people. Every politician and business person is this unstoppable snidely whiplash like character and everyone else is the women roped to the train tracks by default. The reality is (and this may be an unpopular opinion here right now) is that individuals actually have a greater capacity for action than the realize.

You should read some Howard zinn and get over your weird refusal to hold the us accountable for its heinous crimes.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obama apparently has come out saying that marijuana ought to be taxed and regulated like cigarettes and alcohol.

Gee if only there was something he could have done about it back when he had a favorable legislature or the ability to set agenda for agencies like the DEA.

And at least one of those things he can still affect and the fact that he is still talking about how something ought to be done instead of actually doing something with his remaining time only highlights how he was the Republican president the GOP has known since Reagan -- he lets them run things and then provides them a convenient boogeyman when their way fails in a spectacular fashion.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Dec 1, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lactose Is Wack posted:

A select few individuals who control the majority of the world's wealth definitely are responsible for most of the world's problems. They're not some shadowy cabal, but more a group of self-involved greedy assholes seeking to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone and everything that isn't them.

As individuals, our only option to oppose these people is through collective organization and action, but they have a myriad of ways to keep us fragmented and opposed to each other.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I mean on the one hand sure legalize it, but on the other hand, have you ever met a pothead that wasn't the most insufferable waste of human existence?

E: did we talk about Pelosi surviving her leadership challenger from some third way rear end?

Zerg Mans has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Dec 1, 2016

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

good to see username slapfights are just as effective on twitter as they are most places

As if your opinion is the only correct one, internet poster Dick Milhous Rock!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

The fact is that the American political culture today has reached an historic crossroads where the crude cosmetic liberalism of the deeply corrupt Democratic Party must either be swept away to clear the way for far more radical changes offered by Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein or else the proto-fascism of Trump will destroy any semblance of democracy left in this country.

Uh zizek's whole hope was that a trump victory would catalyze just that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Obama apparently has come out saying that marijuana ought to be taxed and regulated like cigarettes and alcohol.

Gee if only there was something he could have done about it back when he had a favorable legislature or the ability to set agenda for agencies like the DEA.

And at least one of those things he can still affect and the fact that he is still talking about how something ought to be done instead of actually doing something with his remaining time only highlights how he was the Republican president the GOP has known since Reagan -- he lets them run things and then provides them a convenient boogeyman when their way fails in a spectacular fashion.

lmao what a piece of poo poo

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Uh zizek's whole hope was that a trump victory would catalyze just that.

Nobody actually listened to what he said, just read the headline and came to their own conclusions.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Agreed, it's time for everyone to do something around a figure of speech that has no meaningful value to anyone.

We should also agree to fight Trump tooth and nail, to stand up to him, and show him that's were a nation of bhadfgaggaggj;hfgklj

Or I mean we could continue poking each other with sticks, because that's working out well.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
This isn't meant to be a dig at anyone but Chomsky isn't ~just~ a political writer. He's a heavy hitter linguist and his work in formal grammars was afiak (I'm not a linguist) a pretty big deal.

When I studied cellular automata in my comp sci compiler course, we were talking about languages in terms of their Chomsky hierarchy.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I was under the impression that the DEA hasn't been GeStaPo'ing their way through legalized states in spite of their legal right to do so because of Obama?

Serf
May 5, 2011

zegermans posted:

I was under the impression that the DEA hasn't been GeStaPo'ing their way through legalized states in spite of their legal right to do so because of Obama?

We're about to see just how much the Republican party cares about their sacred "states' rights" with Jeff Sessions at the wheel. My guess is they're gonna turn around on that one real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

logikv9 posted:

i'm the trump supporter deeply concerned about GMOs in food

Hi Dees

• Locked thread