Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stephen9001 posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I heard that Karl Franz tries to make things better, I seem to recall that he once made an imperial edict that was something like a noble isn't allowed to live the high life with fine food and poo poo whilst their peasants are literally starving, and that he has Ludwig Schwarzhelm enforce this.

Though, that's a case of the current ruler being a pretty swell dude and the fact that the aforementioned behaviour is so common mostly proves your point.

Karl Franz is basically a guy who can see the big picture and the practical reasons not to be massive dicks, but he is Emperor of the Not HRE and so he is surrounded by dicks who cannot see that picture, and even being talented enough to describe it to them will not entirely cool their dickery. So he does what he can while fending off crazed lutherans and hordes of turbovikings that want to hurt his magnificent catbird (and also empire).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

sassassin posted:

It's hard to understand the anti-sidesaddle argument as no one presents far it beyond "it's bad, duh".

I don't know whether you can't read or what, but people (even myself!) have been explaining why it's "bad" for a few pages. If you tell any of these people which part of their post is confusing I'm sure they can explain it to you in even simpler words, unless the reason you said it's impossible to understand is that you believe sexualisation of female characters in media isn't a problem.

quote:

It's like boob armour in the sense that it's design based on outdated conceptions of how women should look/act, and would be extremely impractical in an actual battle. I agree it's not sexualisation in quite the same way, though.

quote:

It's the opposite extreme of sexualization, and no less offensive- an impractical style of riding designed to protect the dainty modesty of women from the shocking impropriety of mounting a steed, which could drive them to go wild and enjoy sex or learn to read or something.

quote:

No one actually thinks CA is doing this out of malice; people are saying that it's bad regardless. It's worse than a "weird little thing", because it's inherently connected to larger issues with games and stands out a lot even if you have a basic understanding of the lore. I get that they were just saving time but it's def an issue i'd like to see corrected, that's all. I hear everyone saying that seeing a female LL would be most important, and this can be modded in, but I still think this is worth fixing themselves.

Also, arguing that other games don't have good representation of woman is a moot point and irresponsible. And just cause GW hosed up doesn't mean CA can't make some Female LLs as other have said there are some good opportunities to do such and CA has already departed from GW many times.

quote:

We can do both things! Fixing this dumb sidesaddle nonsense does not intrinsically have an opportunity cost of "welp guess no female LLs then". It is not zero sum, we can do both. And we should, because even if the sidesaddle thing isn't the end of the world or the worst thing ever it isn't good either.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Decus posted:

Just change the animations so vampires all ride sidesaddle too.

Bullshit. We need to balance this poo poo out properly and give true representation to sidesaddle riders throughout the world of Warhammer.

That means make Archaon ride sidesaddle in a mod.

Edit: Also, the reason they're riding sidesaddle is almost certainly because it's typically a loving nightmare to model a dress or other long flowy outfit in a game without it clipping or bugging out while properly mounted on a mount. It's just as much a case of "Oh god how the gently caress are we doing this properly without it looking like someone puked up a skirt on the horse." as it is laziness. It also makes it a bitch and a half for modders to use the unit down the line if you do since you'd need a special re-rigging of the model per unit type depending on how it's set up.

Pretty sure the vampire heroes were or possibly still are are a good example of this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 1, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Hey, look, the best mod has been released.

just in case you guys missed it among the only derail stupider than talking about 40k and also because this guy just linked it and didn't describe it, it's a mod that just enables the quest battles automatically when you reach the appropriate level rather than have them gated behind a bunch of random and often level inappropriate poo poo

it is in fact a Good Mod

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Triskelli posted:

Holy poo poo, was this in their co-op campaign?

yeah lmao, cant remember which episode exactly

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Whorelord posted:

legendoftotalwar: orcs remind me of loving abos, man. they just go into somewhere, wreck it and poo poo all over the place.

Lionheart: laughs nervously

Can't watch Legend. He's incredibly good at TW games, but his commentary is just awful. I know Heir of Carthage isn't the best guy at these games, but I can take listening to 30 minutes+ of him as he's a dorky lovable Dad who would rather explain how a game works than see a unit of female soldiers and go on about "raping" the "bitches" for like 3 minutes.

Another pretty cool dude to watch is Ninjahund. He's very good at the multiplayer, but he experiments around with composition a lot. I've seen him beat try-hard Brettonian flying squads with all-Gobbo armies.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 1, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Archonex posted:

Edit: Also, the reason they're riding sidesaddle is almost certainly because it's typically a loving nightmare to model a dress or other long flowy outfit in a game without it clipping or bugging out while properly mounted on a mount.

Probably because wearing something like that on a horse is also a nightmare. Riding side saddle is from a time when female pants were pretty unthinkable.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

peer posted:

I don't know whether you can't read or what, but people (even myself!) have been explaining why it's "bad" for a few pages. If you tell any of these people which part of their post is confusing I'm sure they can explain it to you in even simpler words, unless the reason you said it's impossible to understand is that you believe sexualisation of female characters in media isn't a problem.

its more like no one cares because getting mad about warhams is next to getting mad about games journalism in a list of dumb af things

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
By our standards living in the empire would be really lovely and terrible, but for a peasant living in the 14th century HRE he'd probably ask when he can move there. They have a functioning political system that only occasionally descends into civil war, enough trade to support huge technologically advanced cities and a religious system that provably has power over their enemies.

The empire isn't some monstrous machine that takes in live people one end and spits gristle out the other like the imperium in 40k, its got rough edges and being based on a feudal system it can be really crap if a particular lord decides he wants to be an rear end in a top hat. Ultimately, if a peasant is being ground into the dirt so hard he can barely survive he'll become a brigand, rebel and/or turn to chaos, which the average person does know of.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

peer posted:

I don't know whether you can't read or what, but people (even myself!) have been explaining why it's "bad" for a few pages.

This is a great reason to derail a thread with meaningless minutiae. Take your pronouns and gently caress off to tumblr. Remember, the suicide hotline is open 24 hours a day.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I don't mind sidesaddle for Damsels because they're depicted that way on the tabletop and if we can be okay with a faction that brutally represses the lower classes then we can be okay with the idea that magical women wear pretty dresses, be venerated and ride around like dainty princesses. Its also implied that magical men are just outright killed so sexism is kind of built in to their lore. This is also the faction that has Joan D'Arc and that heroic archetype wouldn't be possible without that sexist background.

Spellsingers don't really make sense though but eh, if anything Wood Elves are gonna be a lot better because there aren't really gender divides in their military. You'll see male and females mixed in most of their units, if they're not lazy about it.

Overall though this is a dumb topic and I hate myself for taking part in it.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

ditty bout my clitty posted:

This is a great reason to derail a thread with meaningless minutiae. Take your pronouns and gently caress off to tumblr. Remember, the suicide hotline is open 24 hours a day.

I'm sorry for bringing game-related real world issues into your warhammer safe space, friend

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

peer posted:

I'm sorry for bringing game-related real world issues into your warhammer safe space, friend

I'm sorry that you feel obligated to point out everything that doesn't conform to your values completely. People like you are why Trump won.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

peer posted:

#noteveryelf

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

peer posted:

game-related real world issues

See, now I regret telling you about the suicide hotline.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I'm sorry that you feel obligated to point out everything that doesn't conform to your values completely. People like you are why Trump won.

Okay, please gently caress off.

EDIT: Anyway, I don't really like this side saddle argument. My angle on it is "okay, it would make more sense if it wasn't that way, but it's not super relevant because it's not egregiously terrible and isn't really exactly in your face most of the time, so it makes sense that it's not a big priority for CA if it is indeed a timesaving measure." And um, that's it? Is there really much more to debate? I understand that for some people it's more important than that, but I don't think there's a very interesting debate to be had there. It's alright to point this out, but I feel like this has dominated this thread for long enough when it's all just going around in circles.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 1, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can you morons take your slap fight somewhere else.

Especially you. :fuckoff:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Okay, please gently caress off.

Agreed, if noone tells CA that that poo poo just isn't going to fly, people might think that womenfolk ride side saddle in real life, and that would just end feminism right there on the spot.

Stanley Pain posted:

Especially you. :fuckoff:

Truth hurts

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Carcer posted:

By our standards living in the empire would be really lovely and terrible, but for a peasant living in the 14th century HRE he'd probably ask when he can move there. They have a functioning political system that only occasionally descends into civil war, enough trade to support huge technologically advanced cities and a religious system that provably has power over their enemies.

It also seems surprisingly tolerant, given that it's a polytheistic institution rather than One God/God Emperor. And while Witch Hunters may rove the countryside, uh, that's because there actually are dangerous witches and wizards rather than women who know a little about herbs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trigger warnings for you from here on out on all criticism, gotcha.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Trigger warnings for you from here on out on all criticism, gotcha.

I love this self-righteous mix of hurt feelings and misplaced anger. You made trump win. You personally.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also, gas

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I love this self-righteous mix of hurt feelings and misplaced anger. You made trump win. You personally.

So when're your parents taking the padding off the doorknobs? You're the one ranting about suicide over people criticising an animation.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone here i could perusade to grab a White Dwarf code from a GW store? As the USA lacks them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

the excess expression of views opposed to fascism is why fascism won. if people never used their freedoms of expression then they would never be curtailed

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Report the demonstrably lovely posters and move on. Look at those rap sheets- there is no arguing with them.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

So when're your parents taking the padding off the doorknobs? You're the one ranting about suicide over people criticising an animation.

Where is it, let's see

:iamafag:

Fangz posted:

the excess expression of views opposed to fascism is why fascism won. if people never used their freedoms of expression then they would never be curtailed

Yes, side saddles are a sign of fascism and oppression of pixels. This is why trump won, your tiny soapboxes.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

Report the demonstrably lovely posters and move on. Look at those rap sheets- there is no arguing with them.

Dude if these people were even somewhat capable of "moving on", this "discussion" would never have happened.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I like watching SurrealBeliefs; his campaigns are often fun.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Please stop feeding the trolls or else I'll close the thread for 24 hours to give everyone a chance to go outside into the sunshine and call their parents.

Your parents miss you and hearing from you would make their day. Give them a ring instead of arguing with trolls on the internet.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't get why sidesaddle riding is the hill people decide to die on, there are much more significant representation issues in this very game if you want to argue about that! (the lack of female Legendary Lords even with there being plenty of prominent characters out there etc)

Anyway, battle gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeaB1RCNLoU

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

😂 Look at This idiot getting triggered

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mordja posted:

It also seems surprisingly tolerant, given that it's a polytheistic institution rather than One God/God Emperor. And while Witch Hunters may rove the countryside, uh, that's because there actually are dangerous witches and wizards rather than women who know a little about herbs.

The Witch Hunters also have to actually bring evidence and need the local authorities for enforcement. Yes, the trials are pretty heavily in their favor, but they don't have total cart-blanche.

The Empire is polytheistic because all of those Gods provably have power, as well, and aren't that Chaos. Everyone like Shallyans because everyone needs a doctor at some point. Everyone likes Taal and Rhya because they're still primarily agricultural and having some Gods who have your back in the woods is nice when like 50% of your land mass is More Black Forests (and infested with maneating goatmen). It's a weird thing but Warhams actually (possibly accidentally) gets polytheism somewhat right, where a priest of a specific god is more of a professional who knows the complex rites needed for that God's propitiation rather than an enemy of the other cults who wants theirs to dominate; a Priest of Sigmar wouldn't spit on a shrine to Morr or Verena because they know those are still Gods and pissing them off is dangerous.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What actually *is* the Witch Hunter's Accuse ability? Is it a magic spell? Calling on Sigmar to lay down some smiting? Or just very harsh language?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fangz posted:

What actually *is* the Witch Hunter's Accuse ability? Is it a magic spell? Calling on Sigmar to lay down some smiting? Or just very harsh language?

Either some form of holy magic (Unlikely, unless I forget something.) or the Witch Hunter is literally murdering them with the power of his hate.

I'm suspecting the latter given the fact that it's Warhammer and Warhammer in all forms except Age of Sigmar tends to be grimdark as gently caress.

Edit: I now have this mental image of the witch hunter doing the equivalent of that Dwarf in that parody series and just tearing one of the Chosen of Chaos apart with the power of his sick burns.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 1, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fangz posted:

A racial slur.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kainser posted:

I don't get why sidesaddle riding is the hill people decide to die on, there are much more significant representation issues in this very game if you want to argue about that! (the lack of female Legendary Lords even with there being plenty of prominent characters out there etc)

Anyway, battle gameplay:

God daaaaamn they look so fun to play, and the eagles and poo poo look great. Definitely playing WE as soon as they come out.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kainser posted:

Anyway, battle gameplay:

The zerg rush of those war dancers was loving glorious. Just a dogpile from every direction as a bunch of shrieking elves descended on the Demigryphs and ripped them apart in seconds. :black101:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The eagle and treeman animations are so satisfying to watch. The stags too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't quite get people engaging sassassin. His contrarian gimmick with regard to everything warhammer related is really transparent. If a company does something that gets its customers upset he will defend it 100% of the time. He defends Age of Sigmar all up and down the tabletop thread. He really isn't worth engaging at all.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Those aren't Spell Singers they're Sisters of the Thorn, a light shock/skirmish cavalry unit that has a few bound spells.
Whelp I screwed that up. I was mixed up by Spell Singers having no official mounted model, only the hovering unmounted ones.

• Locked thread