Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Minrad posted:

Where can I get a Pokedex entry for Solgaleo so I can GTS trade it

You don't have to, the option at the bottom of the list of letters lets you enter any Pokemon name you, as a player, know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

AlphaKretin posted:

You don't have to, the option at the bottom of the list of letters lets you enter any Pokemon name you, as a player, know.

poo poo how did I miss that. Thanks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

I still don't understand the hate for Exp.Share. Do people really hate convenient things that save you time?

How does it save time? If you're grinding with Exp. Share off then you're defeating the purpose of turning it off in the first place. The game can be beat with a mediocre team at level 45.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

Heh, nobody on the GTS is biting my Castform for a completely legit(tm) 6IV Ditto.

Got trolled with a lvl 100 one with all 0 IVs though. Why is he/she even doing this

You and I have the same problem.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I've heard nothing but Konikoni city's night theme up to this point (thanks moon), and lmao the day theme is so bad compared to that chill night theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfWfkqImNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9bCANHrSN0

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Giving up on getting a Speed boost Sharpedo for now, huge pain in the rear end. If anybody ever gets one, I could trade some Marvel scale Dratini or something else for it.
Edit: never mind, some random carvahna i gts'd had speed boost. Thank god.

Specto fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 1, 2016

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Still struggling with Kukui Championship battle. I'm slightly underleveled and refuse to use items during battle. I'm stubborn but I want to feel like I've earned this win.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If any of y'all who have competitive experience would be willing to give me a few pointers I'd appreciate it

I'm playing in my first ever organized play thing at a VGC Premiere Event next week and the format is going to be Best of 3 for matches, which introduces a level of meta play that could have an impact so I could use some insight

1. Does one use a "weaker" team in Game 1 to scout and get a feel for how the opponent is going to play?

2. Do people typically play the same 4 if they win Game 1?

3. When you win a game should you prepare for the opponent to play a wholly different strategy? Like, is it dumb to lead with the same 2 for two games in a row?

I dunno, I'm getting nervous and don't want to psyche myself out and get swept but for whatever reason I'm expecting randos at an in-person event to be better than Battle Spot randos, which I guess isn't necessarily true

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

play to win game 1, and game 2. if you lose either of these, play to win game 3

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

Hey y'all looking for a beast ball poliwag, cubone, dewpider. Have competitive magbys, togedemarus, various UBs / Tapus of non comp varieties, and a shiny togedemaru that I'd part with for all three

Challenge accepted, give me an hour or two...

Shiny777 posted:

Anyone want Honedges in Beast Balls? Because I've currently got a 4IV Quiet Wide Guard/Destiny Bond one making eggs with a 6IV Ditto right now, so those are gonna be piling up pretty fast soon.

FC's 1332-9128-2747, IGN is Alice if anyone's interested.

Also I've got a bunch of 3-4 IV Modest Popplio and about 8 spare perfect 5s if anyone wants any of those.

I'll take a Honedge! And a Popplio too if you've got any 5s left.

If you're interested in Beast Ball Pokemon, I've got:
Beldum (Jolly)
Wimpod (Adamant)
Bagon (Jolly)
Goomy (Calm)
Mareanie (Calm, Regenerator, with Haze)
Gothita (Timid)
Trapinch (Careful/whatever)
Feebas (Jolly)
Geodude (Galvanize, Impish)
Cubone (Jolly, Lightning Rod)
Deino
Carvanha (Hasty, Great IVs)
Minior (Naive, got some 6IV spares)
Sewaddle (Naive)
Cutiefly (Lonely)
Stufful (Fluffy, Relaxed)
Abra (Adamant, Synchronize or Inner Focus, got spares of both)
Togepi

Most of them don't have outstanding IVs, but I use a 6IV Ditto so the result shouldn't be too bad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Still struggling with Kukui Championship battle. I'm slightly underleveled and refuse to use items during battle. I'm stubborn but I want to feel like I've earned this win.

Hey, the trainers you fight use items, that poo poo is fair game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

tyblazitar posted:

Beldum (Jolly)

I would love one of these, if scheduling works out (I'm about to go to sleep now, as it is, and will be busy for the first half of tomorrow). Are you on the Discord? That would make coordinating this a lot easier.

E: Mareanie too, come to think of it, though I'm not sure how greedy you're willing to let people be. :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Woo, 291/300! Just missing a few legendaries, a few levelup evolutions, and two stone evolutions. if anyone has a spare Ice/Dusk stone, I can trade Beast Ball Carvahnas for them.

Also I'd like beast Honedge and Sewaddle once I finish this elite four tradefest.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Countblanc posted:

How does it save time? If you're grinding with Exp. Share off then you're defeating the purpose of turning it off in the first place. The game can be beat with a mediocre team at level 45.

Mileage may vary then because I had difficulties with my level 60 team. I had to actually start grinding units at endgame because they were 1-2 levels under the E4 and I was still getting swept by their poo poo.

Exeggutor, Mudsdale, Kommo-o were all poo poo for me. Incineroar was hosed by a lot of them as well. I only beat it because I had tons of Max potions and Revives. My team was level 60, in addition to levelling up a slowbro as well for more coverage.

I guess that's my fault for not deciding on more rounded teams but If people were beating the game with a team of 45s then I guess I did something wrong.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

grilldos posted:

A problem no one is mentioning is that it's impossible to balance when every player varies on how often and when they spend lots of time and battles hunting for Pokemon. Dynamically adjusting Pokemon levels the player faces also has a myriad of issues to go along with it. This problem is never going away.

I far prefer Gen 6's exp share + Lucky Egg = XP Pinata than the bad XP scaling in Gen 5, made even worse by how late mons evolve in the latter. But if GF really wants to remove the exp share until endgame they could make wild Pokes catchable only 2-3 levels behind (insert Gym leader here) while also making remembering old moves free of charge.

Heart scales for old moves and Hyper Training for fake 31 IV are just a few of the poorly implemented features. Frankly I would very much see better alternate gameplay and let the RNG minmax stat poopsocking elements die a glorious death.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

tyblazitar posted:

Challenge accepted, give me an hour or two...

Thank you! Good luck

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Senerio posted:

Woo, 291/300! Just missing a few legendaries, a few levelup evolutions, and two stone evolutions. if anyone has a spare Ice/Dusk stone, I can trade Beast Ball Carvahnas for them.

Also I'd like beast Honedge and Sewaddle once I finish this elite four tradefest.

I have a spare Ice Stone! If you want to trade, I'd appreciate any Moon-exclusives, but I'll definitely take a beast Carvahna if you don't have anything else to spare.

FC is 1349-5250-6030, IGN is Teddy

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Waffles Inc. posted:

If any of y'all who have competitive experience would be willing to give me a few pointers I'd appreciate it

I'm playing in my first ever organized play thing at a VGC Premiere Event next week and the format is going to be Best of 3 for matches, which introduces a level of meta play that could have an impact so I could use some insight

1. Does one use a "weaker" team in Game 1 to scout and get a feel for how the opponent is going to play?

2. Do people typically play the same 4 if they win Game 1?

3. When you win a game should you prepare for the opponent to play a wholly different strategy? Like, is it dumb to lead with the same 2 for two games in a row?

I dunno, I'm getting nervous and don't want to psyche myself out and get swept but for whatever reason I'm expecting randos at an in-person event to be better than Battle Spot randos, which I guess isn't necessarily true

Hey, I've never played at a live comp pokemon event but I do have tournament experience in general, so I have some general advice:

Like somebody else said, you should play at 100%, but I would add as a corollary that you should not play at 100% if and only if less than 100% is enough to win. Generally this is only the case for players who are already world-class, so basically you should play your rear end off at all times. Assume everyone you face is capable of knocking you out of the tournament (they are). If you have any sneaky tricks up your sleeve, assume you opponent is not going to take the bait more than once -- again, unless they give you reason to think otherwise.

You definitely should not intentionally gimp yourself by picking bad teams, but you should keep mental track not only of the pokemon and movesets you see from your opponent, but try to read their behavior as well. Look for patterns in their play. Are they likely to switch after eating a super-effective move? That's a pattern you can exploit for momentum. At the same time, try and sniff out those patterns of predictable responses in your own play and eliminate them. That said, you're going to get read sometimes no matter what, so try to adapt and stay one step ahead of your opponent. Competition is as much about your mind vs. your opponent's mind as it is anything else.

Regarding #3, I'm just getting into VGC myself but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a given team of six pokemon is not generally capable of running multiple completely unique strategies. It's not dumb to run the same lead twice if your strategy depends on a certain lead, but if you beat them game 1 they are going to try and beat your leads to neuter your strategy, so account for that in whatever way seems necessary.

Get plenty of sleep the day before the tournament. Eat a good meal before the competition starts. Bring something to drink during and between games. Try and stay as loose and un-stressed as possible throughout the competition. Remember at the end of the day that you're just playing video games. Play lots of casuals, learn from every opponent you play against, and have fun!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Solumin posted:

I have a spare Ice Stone! If you want to trade, I'd appreciate any Moon-exclusives, but I'll definitely take a beast Carvahna if you don't have anything else to spare.

I'm fighting the elite four to evolve Goodra/Goldeen/Vanillite, but I most likely have a Moon Exclusive somewhere I can toss you once I beat Hala.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

Thank you! Good luck

It's nighttime in my game, so Dewpider will take a while longer, but I should have the Poliwag soon enough at least.

EDIT: Got it!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think EXP Share makes the game harder or easier by that much in Sun/Moon. (I had it on and off as I felt necessary.) Using Set instead of Switch will probably get you a lot though. That extra hit you take when switching to something more appropriate can really make things a lot harder. It was my first time doing that in the campaign and I think that was the major player in the difficulty, to say nothing of Totems like the second, fourth, and sixth.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sade posted:

Hey, I've never played at a live comp pokemon event but I do have tournament experience in general, so I have some general advice:

Like somebody else said, you should play at 100%, but I would add as a corollary that you should not play at 100% if and only if less than 100% is enough to win. Generally this is only the case for players who are already world-class, so basically you should play your rear end off at all times. Assume everyone you face is capable of knocking you out of the tournament (they are). If you have any sneaky tricks up your sleeve, assume you opponent is not going to take the bait more than once -- again, unless they give you reason to think otherwise.

You definitely should not intentionally gimp yourself by picking bad teams, but you should keep mental track not only of the pokemon and movesets you see from your opponent, but try to read their behavior as well. Look for patterns in their play. Are they likely to switch after eating a super-effective move? That's a pattern you can exploit for momentum. At the same time, try and sniff out those patterns of predictable responses in your own play and eliminate them. That said, you're going to get read sometimes no matter what, so try to adapt and stay one step ahead of your opponent. Competition is as much about your mind vs. your opponent's mind as it is anything else.

Regarding #3, I'm just getting into VGC myself but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a given team of six pokemon is not generally capable of running multiple completely unique strategies. It's not dumb to run the same lead twice if your strategy depends on a certain lead, but if you beat them game 1 they are going to try and beat your leads to neuter your strategy, so account for that in whatever way seems necessary.

Get plenty of sleep the day before the tournament. Eat a good meal before the competition starts. Bring something to drink during and between games. Try and stay as loose and un-stressed as possible throughout the competition. Remember at the end of the day that you're just playing video games. Play lots of casuals, learn from every opponent you play against, and have fun!

extremely good advice

another tip though; take notes! i believe you're allowed a notepad to keep track of things, and while sun/moon is definitely better about displaying information, you can still keep track of items used, who has what moves, etc.

e: also while registered you can only have six pokemon, before registration if you talk with people and get a feel for whats getting played, you can alter your team to match it. after registration you are locked in, though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Senerio posted:

I'm fighting the elite four to evolve Goodra/Goldeen/Vanillite, but I most likely have a Moon Exclusive somewhere I can toss you once I beat Hala.

Cool. I'll be online for another hour or so.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Solumin posted:

Okay, getting on. 1521-4593-3539. (Pandora In Game)

I'll look at what I have as far as Moon Exclusives (should have at least something cause I have Moon) and then I'll toss you any if I have any and I can also toss a Carvahna. I have a lot of them.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 1, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I saw a few people offering them up, but how do you get Shadow Sneak onto Grimer?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Senerio posted:

I'll get online now if you want your Sewaddle.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I saw a few people offering them up, but how do you get Shadow Sneak onto Grimer?

Mimikyu->Misdreavus->Grimer looks like.

tyblazitar posted:

I'll get online now if you want your Sewaddle.

Yeah sure. Want anythign specifically in return?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Senerio posted:

Ah, it's Mimikyu, got it.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Senerio posted:

Yeah sure. Want anythign specifically in return?

I can't even remember if I did, you don't have a beastly Mimikyu do you? If not anything's fine.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

tyblazitar posted:

I can't even remember if I did, you don't have a beastly Mimikyu do you? If not anything's fine.

I don't. Apologies. Did you get a Carvahna or do you want one of them?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Senerio posted:

I don't. Apologies. Did you get a Carvahna or do you want one of them?

I got that one, with great IVs too. :3

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have a 6IV Ditto with a Destiny Knot, so good IVs aren't guaranteed but they're probable.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Senerio posted:

Okay, getting on. 1521-4593-3539. (Pandora In Game)

I'll look at what I have as far as Moon Exclusives (should have at least something cause I have Moon) and then I'll toss you any if I have any and I can also toss a Carvahna. I have a lot of them.

I'll be on in a minute, it's being a pain and won't let me get online despite showing that I'm connected to the internet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah no problem, I'll just be running around the plaza and/or trading with tyblazitar.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

tyblazitar posted:

It's nighttime in my game, so Dewpider will take a while longer, but I should have the Poliwag soon enough at least.

EDIT: Got it!

im hype

soon my beautiful beast ball team will be complete

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Senerio posted:

Yeah no problem, I'll just be running around the plaza and/or trading with tyblazitar.

OK, I'm online now!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

I would love one of these, if scheduling works out (I'm about to go to sleep now, as it is, and will be busy for the first half of tomorrow). Are you on the Discord? That would make coordinating this a lot easier.

E: Mareanie too, come to think of it, though I'm not sure how greedy you're willing to let people be. :v:
Not on the Discord, sorry. Since I'm playing this game every waking minute just keeping up with the thread is all I can do. If you see me posting later, just let me know and we can trade. If not, both of those mons have been spread around a lot so lots of goons have them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Iunno, I was super disappointed when I finally unlocked the snooty expensive store and all they had on sale was fedoras and J-rock costumes. Whereas when I found the fancy store in Alola...

(how do you take good 3DS screenshots?)

Some games let you take screens via Miiverse but not pokemon. so then homebrew is how you take good screenshots

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thank you both for the trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Kukui's team is tough and pretty much assumes you'll be healed up or overleveled. Ironically the later champions (it changes each time) are much easier to beat and often have shittier teams