Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

Deakul posted:

:agreed:
The controls are extremely lovely, I'd rather have directional keys or something honestly.

The alternate controls are basically directional keys but anywhere on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

mrkillboy posted:

Horizon Chase is a great homage to 90s arcade racers.

Is that a full game with 5 tracks and on which i can pay for me in game, or is that a trial version where it only allows me for 5 races?

Also has anyone here been getting issues loading adverts? I''ve been having to restart pdpsim and burrito just to load adverts for extra boost.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I find Skyforce a supremely polished version of a "basic + few extras" shmup. If that works for you, great! I got a bit tired of it after a while though. :shobon:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Kunster posted:

Is that a full game with 5 tracks and on which i can pay for me in game, or is that a trial version where it only allows me for 5 races?

The latter. You unlock the rest of the game via a single IAP.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My opinion on Skyforce is that it's the best shmup I know of on touchscreen controls. Even with the drawbacks touch has, I like that it allows me to fine-tune my velocity. If you prefer movement keys/joystick, then that's perfectly fair, for me they've never worked because without the tactile feedback of a real joystick I can't accurately move at the angle I want to move. The one other drawback I see is that it does get grindy at times, but the progression is fun enough that I didn't mind.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

Horizon Chase is a great homage to 90s arcade racers.

:colbert:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rapner posted:

I think you skyforce haters just don't like this kind of game. I can't think of a more intuitive control system for a bullet hell game on a tablet.

Edit: Gamevil's latest game which looks like a rpg with a slingshot mechanic just got launched. Knight Slinger

Actually its prolly the opposite. I love top down shooters, so this game being a sort of cut down, anemic version of one with bad controls upsets me.

And saying a control scheme is "good for a tablet" doesn't mean "good".

I just don't like it ok.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does anyone have one of those Android game boxes? Like either the Nexus player or something similar? How many games out there actually support gamepads over touchscreens? My wife and I are looking to get some sort of media player, and one of the options that game up was the Gembox.

http://www.emtec-gembox.com/en/#!/about

So, obviously, if I tie my Google account to the device, it will have access to all of the games and apps that I've bought, but really... how many of those could realistically benefit from being on the tv? I'll be honest, I'd rather play everything on the tv from the couch, but games like Free Cell Quest and Dungeon Warfare (Play store versions of both) can't be compatible with a controller, can they?

EDIT: Ok, looking at this -> http://www.emtec-gembox.com/us/android-games-us/ gives a bit more info, despite marketing-speak. So... if I own a game that has controller support, great (like any of the GTA games, for example), but if it's purely touchscreen, then it's not compatible? I'm assuming that's how it is, just wanted to make sure.

Does anyone specifically own the Gembox?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 30, 2016

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Skyforce is a grindy mess and calling it "bullet hell" is an insult to actual bullet hell shooters like Danmaku Unlimited 2, a vastly superior game. If it wasn't so mired in f2p nonsense it would just be unremarkable, but it's actively unfun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

Skyforce is a grindy mess and calling it "bullet hell" is an insult to actual bullet hell shooters like Danmaku Unlimited 2, a vastly superior game. If it wasn't so mired in f2p nonsense it would just be unremarkable, but it's actively unfun.

:hfive:

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I generally don't really like shmups (except raptor: call of the shadows and tyrian 2000 back in the day) but skyforce reloaded is one of the few phone games I actually enjoy. The iap is fair, there's a good amount of content and it still has regular updates. It's only the later stages on higher difficulty where it get's a little more bullet hell-y, and that's also where the control scheme starts to get in the way of progression. I hope that some day with enough upgrades to my weapons I'll be able to overcome these later stages, until then I'm happy to replay the earlier stages, because the basic gameplay loop is pretty fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Muffinlord posted:

Counterpoint: This game looks like poo poo and I don't want to play it. Opinions!

Skyforce Reloaded has good production, the IAP is not an issue, it's frequently updating, and as someone who doesn't like 'bullet hell' games, I enjoy this one. My only complaint is how often my finger gets in the way of certain things, which I guess can be solved by using the alternate control scheme, but I've put way too much time into the standard one and don't think I could change over.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, I don't think anyone here is saying its a bad game and you're bad for playing it. I just personally don't see the appeal, and that's that. I was originally asking what I was missing completely in earnest.

Changing topic, whoever mentioned Soda Dungeon can go die because I cannot put that poo poo down now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone here is saying its a bad game and you're bad for playing it. I just personally don't see the appeal, and that's that. I was originally asking what I was missing completely in earnest.

Changing topic, whoever mentioned Soda Dungeon can go die because I cannot put that poo poo down now.

My response was just to that one guy - if you don't like the game, that's fine, it just clicks with some people as a tightly-produced game that doesn't feel like the devs just shoveled it out. I know there've been a number of games on here (Soda Dungeon, for example) that I just haven't really enjoyed even though people rave on it quite a bit and I can see that it definitely has its fun spots.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

yeah. once you realize that it's really an idle game you keep thinking "why not let it run all the time?".

im hooked on that star trek game now tho.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Yeah SkyForce gets stale after a while. Bad game.
Speaking of, 61 21 73 02

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Skyforce owns. I'm about to 100% it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah. once you realize that it's really an idle game you keep thinking "why not let it run all the time?".

im hooked on that star trek game now tho.

Wait what star trek game

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wait what star trek game

timelines. it came out forever ago, i was just slow to get on the wagon because i was playing other poo poo.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

evilentity posted:

Yeah SkyForce gets stale after a while. Bad game.
Speaking of, 61 21 73 02

What does adding friends actually get you, anyway?

Also, 21 71 88 34.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The main benefit for me of adding friends is to get more prestige points. I don't care too much about the actual competition.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

hooah posted:

The main benefit for me of adding friends is to get more prestige points. I don't care too much about the actual competition.

How does it get you more prestige points? When it says 'beat your friends at the weekend tournament' or whatever, does that get you a tally for every friend you beat, or if you come first place?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Is there something I'm missing about Skyforce? Everyone seems to be going crazy over it, and I found it to be a boring basic top down shooter with lovely controls.

This is why I stopped playing. That, and I've never been that good at top down shooters.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Morpheus posted:

How does it get you more prestige points? When it says 'beat your friends at the weekend tournament' or whatever, does that get you a tally for every friend you beat, or if you come first place?

Every friend you beat. It's really easy to get the required 10. Also the more friends you have, the more gifts you can send back and forth (it happens automatically, but it happens more) so you get shiny stars.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that you can add your Skyforce numbers here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cXbuKyiybt06FlR3y8xWO5hKGBIrXAlYdg8HsGm9C6g/edit?usp=sharing

It now recommends people who add you in the game so we don't really need to spam the thread up with them, just add everyone on that sheet and they can add you back.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I'm really into tilt control racing games and I need more. played the last 3 asphalt games and just started downloading gear.club

what else is out there that's not paywalled? I'll never spend but I'm fine with a little grind and timers if that's what it takes to get the full experience.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Finished Earn to Die 2 which was recommended earlier. Was a good time but it gets a little too grindy and pushes you towards ads for money (what a surprise!) and I'd recommend the coin doubler if you're getting into it.

^^^ MAXIMUM CAR has a stamina system and isn't tilt control but I enjoyed it until I hit a bug with buying upgrades. Has a good Burnout feel to it.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Skyforce just gave me someone else's save file. AGAIN. I'm going to try contacting them about it, and if they can't fix it, I'm out. I really enjoy the game but it's not any fun for me if I don't get to experience the struggle of playing a new level a couple times to learn enough tricks to barely pass it the first time :(

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

If you haven't heard the news elsewhere, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is scheduled to come out on Android next week on Thursday (iOS gets it this week). If I'm not mistaken this will be the first Ace Attorney game to be released on Android outside of Japan, and also Capcom's first Western Android release ever. Hopefully this means we'll finally get Phoenix Wright Trilogy soon enough as well.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Skyforce just gave me someone else's save file. AGAIN. I'm going to try contacting them about it, and if they can't fix it, I'm out. I really enjoy the game but it's not any fun for me if I don't get to experience the struggle of playing a new level a couple times to learn enough tricks to barely pass it the first time :(

Unfortunately I've been waiting 3 days for the same fix after contacting support. Let me know if you have better luck.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Human Resource Machine, a programming-based puzzle game by the World of Goo people, is out on the Play Store. Also out is Leap of Fate, a cyberpunk twin-stick shooter with roguelike elements that has gotten some decent reviews on iOS.

Also also out is The Battle of Polytopia, which might finally be the Civ-like game on mobile you've been looking for all this time.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 1, 2016

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So a while back, a battery app was mentioned that seemed legit but I can't seem to find it after a lot of searching. Which battery app was that?

vvv: Thanks, might be it - giving it a shot now.

Malek fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 1, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Malek posted:

So a while back, a battery app was mentioned that seemed legit but I can't seem to find it after a lot of searching. Which battery app was that?

Greenify perhaps?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't there supposed to be daily Christmas stuff for skyforce? I got the first star doubler but there hasn't been anything else.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be daily Christmas stuff for skyforce? I got the first star doubler but there hasn't been anything else.
As far as I can tell you just get a star doubler every day for 30mins. That's it. Also "day" seems to be US timezone, not sure exactly, but the first time I open it each afternoon I get it.

There's also the Christmas tournament level which is quite cute.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Tunga posted:

As far as I can tell you just get a star doubler every day for 30mins. That's it. Also "day" seems to be US timezone, not sure exactly, but the first time I open it each afternoon I get it.

There's also the Christmas tournament level which is quite cute.

Yeah I haven't gotten anything since the first one. :(

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I can't stop playing Burrito Bison.

I know it basically has a hard ending but I haven't even reached the first recipe book. It reminds me of a flash game I used to play probably about 16 years ago

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
To no one's surprise, the Legendary: Game of Heroes goon guild is dead because no one is playing it any more and neither should you.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Duggler posted:

I know it basically has a hard ending but I haven't even reached the first recipe book. It reminds me of a flash game I used to play probably about 16 years ago

I'd really love more games like this that are decently lengthy with loads of upgrades, are there any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The Duggler posted:

I'm pretty sure it's literally a sequel to a Kongregate game

Deakul posted:

I'd really love more games like this that are decently lengthy with loads of upgrades, are there any?

Berzerk Ball 2 might be worth a look at.