Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

I liked the Pappy O'Daniel vs Homer Stokes comparison better

So I was feeling a bit under the weather last night so I spent the evening in bed watching O Brother Where Art Thou for the first time in years. And yeah, this is a great comparison. (Pappy refusing to greet a constituent because "We ain't one-at-a-timin', we're MASS COMMUNICATIN'" was particularly on the nose.)

Of course, since Brother is a fairy tale, provoking the reform-minded populist into having a public racist meltdown actually doomed his candidacy.

ED(it) BALLS DONE R U N N O F T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

Taking a country that was losing 300,000 jobs PER MONTH into 8 years of positive job numbers.

Low paying, zero benefits jobs that will soon be destroyed to the Trump presidency. He could have literally legalized pot and he would have been an amazing president. But now all he did will be lost, sadly.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Neeksy posted:

So basically he has the right messaging on this as opposed to what the rest of the dems are gonna do.

I don't follow Democrat party politics too closely, but mainstream political opposition to Trump's nascent presidency from progressives/Democrats seems to be entirely centered around a single 75 year man. Is Sanders just getting all the media attention right now, or is the Democrat bench really that shallow? I'm just casually skimming news + magazine websites, but I see Sanders appearing in Rolling Stone and on the Late Show and no other prominent Democrats. Maybe I'm just missing stuff.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Nocturtle posted:

I don't follow Democrat party politics too closely, but mainstream political opposition to Trump's nascent presidency from progressives/Democrats seems to be entirely centered around a single 75 year man. Is Sanders just getting all the media attention right now, or is the Democrat bench really that shallow? I'm just casually skimming news + magazine websites, but I see Sanders appearing in Rolling Stone and on the Late Show and no other prominent Democrats. Maybe I'm just missing stuff.

oh no a really popular guy with a following is complaining about trump!!!!!!!!!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

He could have literally legalized pot and he would have been an amazing president.

I'm proud of the life choices that kept me from having dank nugs be my single issue voter topic.

What about the union jobs he saved with the Auto industry bailout?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

So I was feeling a bit under the weather last night so I spent the evening in bed watching O Brother Where Art Thou for the first time in years. And yeah, this is a great comparison. (Pappy refusing to greet a constituent because "We ain't one-at-a-timin', we're MASS COMMUNICATIN'" was particularly on the nose.)

Of course, since Brother is a fairy tale, provoking the reform-minded populist into having a public racist meltdown actually doomed his candidacy.

ED(it) BALLS DONE R U N N O F T

I went on a rant about this during the day yesterday but nobody else who had seen OBWAT was around to respond :(

and yeah I think the key factor was that the racist meltdown in the movie interrupted a performance from a hugely popular musical group. We needed to provoke Trump into storming the stage at a Bruno Mars concert to tell everyone that Bruno is a mongrel kike spic chink who would never perform again under his presidency or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bump_fn posted:

oh no a really popular guy with a following is complaining about trump!!!!!!!!!

that is not even remotely what he meant

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Nocturtle posted:

Somebody's gotta do it. I have my doubts about if Sanders could have won either against the well oiled right-wing smear machine that social media has augmented, but his message would certainly have resonated more in the areas Clinton lost.

And yes the bench is short, because of state-level annihilations preventing new talent from filtering up.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nocturtle posted:

After the Clinton people were defeated, they all retreated to their mansions to weather these next 4 years of more money for them. I guess the only person to step up to the plate was Bernie and guys like Keith Ellison.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

bernie will be 79 in 2020 but he sometimes tweets things people in the thread like to hear

I like the guy and everything but he's not the future of the party

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rastor posted:

Yeah Areva have been doing it for ages but I guess we don't want their filthy French technology in the USA.

In the long run I have optimism for the Waste Annihilating Molten Salt Reactor (WAMSR) which would burn up the spent fuel from other reactors.

Waste Producing Molten Salt Reactor (WPMSR) should be the new name of cspam

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

I'm proud of the life choices that kept me from having dank nugs be my single issue voter topic.

What about the union jobs he saved with the Auto industry bailout?

Well, what about them? What's the state of unions now? Are they better or worse off? Have wages for these workers increased?

Do you think that Obama bailing out the auto industry but not bailing out people who were hosed by huge banks was a positive mark or a negative mark?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

UHD posted:

bernie will be 79 in 2020 but he sometimes tweets things people in the thread like to hear

Moses was not allowed to cross the river Jordan into the promised land, but he did lead them through the wilderness.

Well, what about them? What's the state of unions now? Are they better or worse off? Have wages for these workers increased?

Do you think that Obama bailing out the auto industry but not bailing out people who were hosed by huge banks was a positive mark or a negative mark?

I'm gonna go with "good thing that happened" is better than "better thing that did not happen".

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
quote isn't edit

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UHD posted:

Do tell, where do you think the future of the party is? Is it Chelsea Clinton?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

zegermans posted:

Moses was not allowed to cross the river Jordan into the promised land, but he did lead them through the wilderness.

fair enough

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It really is bothering me how shallow the Dem bench is, because UHD isn't wrong about Bernie's age. I was a little worried he was too old for two terms THIS year, let alone next cycle.

I mean, we'll see in 2020 if his mind's still sharp and he still has the juice in his bones to campaign

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Sanders isn't the only voice out there, but he's got a lot of notoriety (or possibly a different word) and he's really using it well right now. I don't know how he would have done against Trump and I no longer care about the issues I had with him during the primary; he's doing great work right now and we are damned fortunate to have him.

loquacius posted:

I went on a rant about this during the day yesterday but nobody else who had seen OBWAT was around to respond :(

and yeah I think the key factor was that the racist meltdown in the movie interrupted a performance from a hugely popular musical group. We needed to provoke Trump into storming the stage at a Bruno Mars concert to tell everyone that Bruno is a mongrel kike spic chink who would never perform again under his presidency or something

Well if it helps your posts are what prompted me to watch it again!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So since we're basically stuck with gerrymandering and voter suppression I was considering what blue states can do to make themselves more blue (which should help in the house a little bit.) People talk about making election day a national holiday but why not just have blue states make it a paid holiday for a cheesy boost to blue-voting demographics.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

I'm gonna go with "good thing that happened" is better than "better thing that did not happen".

So yea, that's what his legacy is going to be like for the vast majority of the people who aren't, idk, white collar democrat bros in some rich city making 6 figures or more per year. He was the president who had the most backing and and the most tools and resources available to bring about positive change. Then the first thing he did was crack down on marijuana dispensaries and give Wallstreet some nice bonuses. Oh yea he bailed it the auto industry! Truly a good president.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

loquacius posted:

It really is bothering me how shallow the Dem bench is, because UHD isn't wrong about Bernie's age. I was a little worried he was too old for two terms THIS year, let alone next cycle.

I mean, we'll see in 2020 if his mind's still sharp and he still has the juice in his bones to campaign

the democratic party has plenty of young leadership such as rws, that beatboxing hat guy ,and fishmech

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
2020 is a census year so not to be too accelerationist, but if Trump fucks up royally dems could pull the same poo poo reps did in 2010.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Al! posted:

the democratic party has plenty of young leadership such as rws, that beatboxing hat guy ,and fishmech

And zoux

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

2020 is a census year so not to be too accelerationist, but if Trump fucks up royally dems could pull the same poo poo reps did in 2010.

Yea. But we aren't gonna pull that poo poo off unless we can be perceived as actually wanting change. Forget everything about the past and come up with a new message that's different than "well our candidate is going to be more of the same you've had for the past 8 years"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Do tell, where do you think the future of the party is? Is it Chelsea Clinton?

idfk

that's kind of the problem though

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yea. But we aren't gonna pull that poo poo off unless we can be perceived as actually wanting change. Forget everything about the past and come up with a new message that's different than "well our candidate is going to be more of the same you've had for the past 8 years"

What if they want to genocide all Muslims, but will also dispense tax refunds in the form of weed?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

zegermans posted:

pretty much the best case scenario at this point. 2016 was sort of a "pick your poison" year for dems. I think if Hillary had been elected we might have seen a 2020 GOP wave with Tom Cotton, which would bring us 1,000 years of darkness

as it is now, we may get 1,000 years of darkness anyway but who knows :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

zegermans posted:

What if they want to genocide all Muslims, but will also dispense tax refunds in the form of weed?

Isn't that pretty much the Libertarian platform?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

Idk what your obsession with mentioning weed is. Are you butt hurt that no one asked you to join the circle when you were in high school?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Exactly. Is this approach so hard?

I don't know poo poo about economics and even I can see the Carrier deal as basically negotiating with terrorists. The big corporations, the ones beholden to shareholders, have to threaten to outsource in exchange for tax breaks now. They now have a fiduciary responsibility to ship jobs overseas.

It's the exact opposite of Trump's main platform and he hasn't even taken the oath yet.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I think we maybe shouldn't just poo poo on Obama constantly since he's still really popular. Just acknowledge he did some good things, the Republicans are going to gently caress them up, and we should do better in the future to make the good things we accomplish permanent. Maybe explain the reason the good things weren't permanent is partly because we didn't go out and vote in off years and we need to do better in the future. Yes, Obama could have done more to build up the party at the state level. But the voters also need to take some responsibility for being disengaged, too.

Yeah he hosed up Syria. But he didn't bomb Iran, opened up a deal with them to help normalize relations, and opened up with Cuba. Those are both accomplishments that, while maybe not permanent, can set a future precedent.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

hillary clinton has spent the past 20 years destroying every strong democrat who could be a threat to her and replacing them with clinton shills. now all the clinton shills have scurried away

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nocturtle posted:

from that rolling stone article

quote:

He had fans among Republicans (some called him an "honest liberal") and many detractors among Democrats, who often grew weary of his lectures about the perils of over-reliance on donations from big business and Wall Street.

pretty much sounds like exactly what hosed us with hillary

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Idk what your obsession with mentioning weed is. Are you butt hurt that no one asked you to join the circle when you were in high school?

You said literally the only thing Obama had to do to be a great president was legalize it, at which point I determined that you have nothing of value to say further, because your perspective is utterly warped around your addiction.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Jive posted:

Exactly. Is this approach so hard?

I don't know poo poo about economics and even I can see the Carrier deal as basically negotiating with terrorists. The big corporations, the ones beholden to shareholders, have to threaten to outsource in exchange for tax breaks now. They now have a fiduciary responsibility to ship jobs overseas.

It's the exact opposite of Trump's main platform and he hasn't even taken the oath yet.

It's all going according to plan. Corporate tax cuts, a few token jobs get to stay in the US to make the base happy. The rest of the jobs get sent to other countries. Education gets cut so people can't learn about what's happening, and the cycle repeats again.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

You said literally the only thing Obama had to do to be a great president was legalize it, at which point I determined that you have nothing of value to say further, because your perspective is utterly warped around your addiction.

Hm. I didn't think that there were still people that believed unironically what their DARE officer told them. Good job on reminding me why drug legalization is an important issue, especially for minorities.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zegermans posted:

this post is like if I ate taco bell and took the diarrhea from my rear end in a top hat and digitized it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zegermans posted:

Turns out that always aiming for "good thing that happened" to the exclusion of "better thing that actually fixes the problem" leads to you losing the entire federal government to a bunch of madmen and fascists, so I dunno if I'm very inclined to agree with you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They'll offshore the jobs in 4 years anyways after everyone forgets and say its because of the unfriendly US business environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Turns out that always aiming for "good thing that happened" to the exclusion of "better thing that actually fixes the problem" leads to you losing the entire federal government to a bunch of madmen and fascists, so I dunno if I'm very inclined to agree with you.

Maybe Obama should have just let the entire auto industry fold, I'm sure then we'd all be posting about his great accelerationist vision.

• Locked thread