Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hot take- nobody needs more than three bedrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I am glad that they have more bedrooms than they have plates.

hey man you never know how much space you need to hoard stuff, but plates? you have three people on the house you only need to have three goddamn plates. qed

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

P-Mack posted:

Bunk beds for everyone!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

my college physics classes were curved so much that my natural B's on exams ended up getting recorded as like 115%

that also immediately stopped happening when I started classes in my actual major so I imagine the kids that skated by on those curves didn't do so well from their third year on. point is she's in first year so it's not uncommon for their grades to get fudged

I forget sometimes my uni is weird and doesn't really curve much at all, and if they do its to guarantee failure rates. We also got rated as one of the hardest freshman class loads though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

P-Mack posted:

I have two bedrooms for one person. Am I a monster?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ikanreed posted:

yes

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ikanreed posted:

First against the wall.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I have a two bedroom apartment but am single atm and live where it's cheap so I got the nicest apartment possible and it's still only 650 a month, despite the fact I could easily own a house lol but screw selling it when work moves me next year.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

zakharov posted:

First against the wall.

How many walls do you have exactly...comrade?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

My spare bedroom is a guest for visitors but also my storage space to save on not paying for a garage how about you

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I have a two bedroom apartment but am single atm and live where it's cheap so I got the nicest apartment possible and it's still only 650 a month, despite the fact I could easily own a house lol but screw selling it when work moves me next year.

Holy hell, what backwoods are you in where a two bedroom apartment is $650/month?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Holy hell, what backwoods are you in where a two bedroom apartment is $650/month?

A backwoods that's paying me 70k yearly salary to live here for two years but is only an hour from a major city, and after that I get a 10k raise.

This apartment is next to the expensive houses in town and has quick repair services, only downside was no washer dryer in the apartment so I have to use communal

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 1, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

My spare bedroom is a guest for visitors but also my storage space to save on not paying for a garage how about you

Music room.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

A backwoods that's paying me 70k yearly salary to live here for two years but is only an hour from a major city

This apartment is next to the expensive houses in town and has quick repair services, only downside was no washer dryer in the apartment so I have to use communal

You make enough to send your laundry out and live like a king (or queen)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ikanreed posted:

death by guillotine

e: I have never in my entire life lived in an apartment with in-unit laundry, and I pay way more than $650 a month

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Music room.

Better than a mastabatorium or anime figure collection museum

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Better than a mastabatorium or anime figure collection museum

Why did you list the same thing twice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went back to a 1br because of rent, but I used to have a room as an art studio :shrug:.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You make enough to send your laundry out and live like a king (or queen)

I basically went from zero possessions to a fully furnished apartment with nice quality stuff with no debt and am sending my parents to Disney world for their 35th anniversary next year

Sucks that the men here are trash though

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why did you list the same thing twice

To set up your joke, you're welcome

Also my power is 60 bucks a month and my internet is 70 for highest speed which can stream 4K so lol thanks public power and utility competition

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Nuebot posted:

I can't help but feel like we're missing something big here. Something real weird.
Teenage pregnancy? Her brother is actually her dad, and her mom (step-grandmother?) is getting resentful and wants some $$

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Bunk beds for everyone!

Unironically this. Thanks to bunk and loft beds, we are currently raising three children quite comfortably in a one bedroom. Would never work if we had lower ceilings.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Unironically this. Thanks to bunk and loft beds, we are currently raising three children quite comfortably in a one bedroom. Would never work if we had lower ceilings.

Plus your kids will be excellent dorm roommates and most likely have better developed social ability from sharing personal space with a more communal focus

A win win for society and your pocket book, meaning less hardships on your family from money and more quality spent on other things

You rock poster :cheers:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

WampaLord posted:

What kind of a college gives out grades higher than 100%?

obv on the transcript it just shows as an A, but I had a Biology 100 class that I took for a general. After the first (ludicrously easy) test that I got a perfect score on, the prof gets up in front of the class and shows that the average for the class was below failing. All the freshman kids in the class were griping about how hard that test was, and none of the stuff was in the reading (yes it was). The professor then announced an extra-credit assignment, which since it took sub 30 minutes to do I just treated like another assignment and sent in.

Next test, average about the same. More "extra credit" assignments that are embarrassingly easy. This continued the rest of the semester and culminated in me and a few other folks holding off-hours test-prep and study sessions using materials the professor made special for us. We got even more extra credit for this, which I most certainly did not need, I was just trying to help my classmates.

At semester's end I looked in Blackboard and my grade was sitting at 128%.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
extra credit in college?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Pick posted:

extra credit in college?

It wasn't uncommon at my school, but it was normally like one last question at the end of a test, where getting that question got you like a percent and it didn't count against you to get wrong or leave blank.

This Bio class was insane, it was the only time that it got anywhere near that level. Complete grade inflation, those tests were 25 questions multiple choice gimmes.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

P-Mack posted:

It won't work with mixed sex children. 3 kids in a room is pushing it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

College is now an extension of high school, complete with the amount of grade fudging so parents don't call in and complain

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

It won't work with mixed sex children. 3 kids in a room is pushing it.

Lol says you, people have been doing it for millennia and it works just fine, google it and learn how many people were fine with mixed sex bedroom growing up.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Lol says you, people have been doing it for millennia and it works just fine, google it and learn how many people were fine with mixed sex bedroom growing up.

:rolleyes:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

This is literally a first world problem .txt or people just not knowing poverty or limited space conditions.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

College is now an extension of high school, complete with the amount of grade fudging so parents don't call in and complain

I worked one semester as a tutor through the library, which offered a service free to students for it. I actually had one girl's dad call me and tell me that she could totally learn the material, all I/we had to do was make a series of flashcards with all the material for the test on them, then drill incessantly with those, since that's what worked for her in high school.

I just said uh huh until he ended the call. Bro, I don't know of a good way to reduce plate tectonics to blurbs on cards. I have my own classes to worry about anyways, that sounds like a waste of time to me.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I didn't say it was impossible, but it's certainly not best for the kids.

If you have to cram 3 kids into a room, maybe you shouldn't have had 3 kids.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 1, 2016

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and lovely posts it takes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

I didn't say it was impossible, but it's certainly not best for the kids.

If you have to cram 3 kids into a room, you shouldn't have had 3 kids.

Prove to me with actual research how this hurts kids other than a weird ick you have with personal space when many people can't afford to do this and grow up just fine on most of the planet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That's definitely true and "kid" age kids can be stuffed 5 to a room without horrible consequences. That's how much of the world does it. However, I think it but it becomes important during puberty to begin giving kids their own space if possible.

Growing up, I shared a 10' x 10' room with my brother until we were both 14 and one of my older sisters moved out. That's a prison cell size room, but honestly we made it work just fine until he started jacking off down on his bed and I'd lean over and smack him with pillows

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Prove to me with actual research how this hurts kids other than a weird ick you have with personal space when many people can't afford to do this and grow up just fine on most of the planet.
Ok, Frank Gallagher.

I don't have studies, only experience with people that had to share bedrooms with two others and hated the poo poo out of it.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 1, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Play posted:

That's definitely true, but it becomes important during puberty to begin giving kids their own space.

Growing up, I shared a 10' x 10' room with my brother until we were both 14 and one of my older sisters moved out. That's a prison cell size room, but honestly we made it work just fine until he started jacking off down on his bed and I'd lean over and smack him with pillows

Sounds like you took care of your issue just fine lol

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

C-SPAN Caller posted:

People confuse overweight and obese way too much. The cut off for obesity is just a bmi of 30, with under 25 being healthy. I was 20 lbs overweight and just 15 more would have made me obese. Thankfully I lost all that and am back to a healthy weight but yeah if most people don't post stats overweight means obese and obese means morbidly obese

fatty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ok so anyway, how about those hosed-up stories on that reddit website

My bf (28M) doesn't want me (26F) attending my ex's (26M) son's funeral

quote:

My ex had his son before we met and we were friends since high school. We wound up deciding to give a relationship a shot and dated for 4 years and during that time his son was 2-6. I really love that little boy, Nicholas. He was just an awesome kid and loved Jurassic Park and boats.

My ex and I wound up splitting on good terms because we both got job offers that took us several hours apart and it was getting hard to make things work. But we remained friendly and there was no bad blood between us. I got a message online from my ex on Monday that his son passed away in an accident, a drunk driver hit the car that Nicholas and his aunt (ex's sister) were in. Sister lived but Nicholas didn't. I cried a lot the past couple days and the funeral is on Saturday. I feel like I have to be there, he's not my son but I knew my ex for many years and had been around the kid for 6 years, including the couple years before we dated when his son was born.

My boyfriend is kind of annoyed, while he's sympathetic to the death of Nicholas, he seems to think that Saturday is the perfect time to rekindle my relationship with my ex since things didn't end badly. I don't know if he feels like we'd bond over our grief or something. My ex and I live on opposite ends of our country at the moment so I'd need to leave on Friday night, my boyfriend and I were planning a get together on Friday so I feel like this is what has him more than a little annoyed though he won't admit it. I know I also helped plan this get together for our friends but I think this is more important and people would understand? I won't even be staying at my ex's house, I'm crashing with a female friend who lives on that side of the country and she'll be going to the funeral as well.

Should I attend the funeral or just send my condolences in some other way without physically being there?

tl;dr ex's son died and I want to attend the funeral, my boyfriend doesn't want me to attend