Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fat_Cow posted:

Anyone here i could perusade to grab a White Dwarf code from a GW store? As the USA lacks them.

I found a GW store in Charleston SC, which is only about an hour from my house. Have you checked the store finder on the GW website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Miles O'Brian posted:

Spellsingers don't really make sense though but eh, if anything Wood Elves are gonna be a lot better because there aren't really gender divides in their military. You'll see male and females mixed in most of their units, if they're not lazy about it.

There are still big gender divides in the upper levels of all three Elven societies in Warhammer, though. They're not depicted as post-sexism utopias by any stretch of the imagination.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't quite get people engaging sassassin. His contrarian gimmick with regard to everything warhammer related is really transparent. If a company does something that gets its customers upset he will defend it 100% of the time. He defends Age of Sigmar all up and down the tabletop thread. He really isn't worth engaging at all.

I have literally never defended the game Age of Sigmar on these forums. Please post even one example. Why people like you feel the need to lie to discredit me I'll never understand.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

youre one of the worst posters on this forum, i believe it.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't quite get people engaging sassassin. His contrarian gimmick with regard to everything warhammer related is really transparent. If a company does something that gets its customers upset he will defend it 100% of the time. He defends Age of Sigmar all up and down the tabletop thread. He really isn't worth engaging at all.

Once I figured his schtick out I really have come to enjoy watching him work. He's brilliant.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
New battle video up. A nice tease for the proper stream I'm guessing we'll get next week.

https://vimeo.com/193870223

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hey guys, what's going on in this cool thread about a sweet fantasy war game?

....:yikes:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Deakul posted:

Hey guys, what's going on in this cool thread about a sweet fantasy war game?

....:yikes:

Watch that WElf video, it's good.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, wood elves are looking pretty :awesome:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

A lot of people have forgotten, I think I'm the only one going around and playing matches according to my opponents and the lack of replays being posted in the thread.

I've been waiting for wood elves before doing the rest of my matches but if anyone I still need to vs. wants to: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sammvt

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that LL on the eagle! Some amazing attack animations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Goddamn those great eagle animations.

Such a good line-up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You guys weren't kidding, the animations in this game are on fuckin point overall but the Wood Elves are looking really good.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

just in case you guys missed it among the only derail stupider than talking about 40k and also because this guy just linked it and didn't describe it, it's a mod that just enables the quest battles automatically when you reach the appropriate level rather than have them gated behind a bunch of random and often level inappropriate poo poo

it is in fact a Good Mod

I'm sure I just haven't played it enough, but why is this mod good? What is it removing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a lot of nonsense involving agents walking halfway across the world

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

meatsaw posted:

I'm sure I just haven't played it enough, but why is this mod good? What is it removing?

To get the quests you have to do a lot of stupid poo poo like "send a banshee to the southernmost province of the map" or "have 3 of x in your army" and things like that. It sounds like this removes those.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

meatsaw posted:

"Move x agent to x location on opposite end of the globe"

"Recruit 3 x's in the army of x lord"

"Assassinate 3 lords from x faction"

etc.

I probably won't use it because I like the flavor text that comes from completing objectives but if you don't care about that you're not missing much.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Necroskowitz posted:

Lore question, how do the peasants generally fare for each faction?

Because, from what I can tell the Vampire Counts' mortal peasants must have a pretty sweet deal. They don't have to worry about being drafted because the army is just
a bunch of skeletons and there's plenty of those to go around. They don't have to worry about giving up any portion of their crops because their lord only drinks blood.
Sure they have to worry about horrible monsters in the woods eating them but that applies everywhere because its Warhammer. Plus, invading armies are usually always
stopped before they penetrate too deeply into Sylvania because the place is just too spooky to invade.

Most of the time, peasants in Sylvania don't really know if their lord/lady is a vampire or not. In fact, most of the time, nobody knows. Sylvania always has vampires from the Von Carstein bloodline running certain parts of it, but it also has human nobles, and it isn't always being controlled broadly by someone like Vlad or Mannfred and attempting to conquer the Empire. Vampires, generally, keep it fairly low-key. That said, vampires are also some degree of crazy due to the Dark Magic which gives them their power. They can be randomly cruel and destructive. But, yeah, generally they act like normal nobles (which is to say, arrogant dicks), but they will pay artists for the portraits they paint of them, and don't go around killing people to drink their blood. Unfortunately, the Dark Magic that permeates Sylvania naturally means even if the Von Carstein vampire ruling the place is pretty chill, the dead will still rise by their own and attempt to kill the living at times, ghouls will still prowl around beating faces, and people/crops/animals will be gross and weird. It definitely sucks being a peasant in Sylvania, morseso than the Empire or Bretonnia.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's important to remember that all this poo poo doesn't match what another writer will have written at some point. Make of it what you will, ya know?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Lassitude posted:

Most of the time, peasants in Sylvania don't really know if their lord/lady is a vampire or not. In fact, most of the time, nobody knows. Sylvania always has vampires from the Von Carstein bloodline running certain parts of it, but it also has human nobles, and it isn't always being controlled broadly by someone like Vlad or Mannfred and attempting to conquer the Empire. Vampires, generally, keep it fairly low-key. That said, vampires are also some degree of crazy due to the Dark Magic which gives them their power. They can be randomly cruel and destructive. But, yeah, generally they act like normal nobles (which is to say, arrogant dicks), but they will pay artists for the portraits they paint of them, and don't go around killing people to drink their blood. Unfortunately, the Dark Magic that permeates Sylvania naturally means even if the Von Carstein vampire ruling the place is pretty chill, the dead will still rise by their own and attempt to kill the living at times, ghouls will still prowl around beating faces, and people/crops/animals will be gross and weird. It definitely sucks being a peasant in Sylvania, morseso than the Empire or Bretonnia.

Now I'm trying to imagine the vampire lords you see ingame attempting to pass off as normal nobles.

"Well I thought I would try the bald look because I think it looks quite good on me. Oh, what about my dad's nose? He lost it in a war"

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

It's important to remember that all this poo poo doesn't match what another writer will have written at some point. Make of it what you will, ya know?

Yeah, like sometimes there will be writers who think Chaos is awesome and everyone else sucks and should die. And then they BLOW UP THE SETTING YOU MANIACS

WHOOPSIE

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

When I am playing Vlad Sylvania is free peasant communes as far as the eye of Nagash can see. When I am playing Franz, Mannfred is full Necro Hitler.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Now I'm trying to imagine the vampire lords you see ingame attempting to pass off as normal nobles.

"Well I thought I would try the bald look because I think it looks quite good on me. Oh, what about my dad's nose? He lost it in a war"

They usually look a good deal more human. How they look in game is how they look when they're at war and don't give a poo poo about appearances.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

unwantedplatypus posted:

Sane(ish) vampires can look normal or noble or simply just hot when they want to, it's part of their innate magic.

They just give zero fucks about being fabulous while they're busy blending people on the battlefield.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lassitude posted:

As far as I can tell this is also dependant on the vampire in question. Back in Vlad's day he was legit supposed to have popular support and pre-Storm of Chaos Von Carstein vampires could take human auxilleries in addition to the undead horde; giving you access to the most coveted of vampire powers projectile weapons on skirmishers. There were also other army alterations of different vampire bloodlines and master necromancers. Necrarches could bring unridden zombie dragons, master necromancers couldn't use vampires but got all other units at a significantly reduced price (could be implemented in TW as an upkeep reduction), Lahmians could take a hero from any other faction in the game as a mind slave, Blood Dragons could use Bretonnia's special formation rules, and Strigoi got umm slightly better ghouls. Those these were also the better times were Mannfred still had his widow's peak and Zacharias had only had his backstory retconned like twice we swear.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Widows Peak Mannfred will forever be real Mannfred. Bleh!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The problem with Vlad is that he literally died a lot of times and he's been dead for three hundred years until the point this game starts, that can't be good for your looks. Ditto with Mannfred, also black magic shenanigans.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah outside of the whole drinking blood thing Vampires in Warhammer are basically the same people they were before they got turned into vampires. There's a good number of perfectly benevolent vampires out there, some use their new immortality to help the sick in plagued areas. It's just that being a vampire openly is a great way to have a witch-hunter trying to set you on fire. Plus the whole blood sucking immortality thing can really warp your moral viewpoint after a few decades.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Another issue with being a vampire openly is that there is a not-Egyptian Queen who died trying to stop the first vampire from doing some really nasty poo poo to her people, and is now back from the dead with a grudge that makes the dorfs look polite and forgiving in comparison.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

Another issue with being a vampire openly is that there is a not-Egyptian Queen who died trying to stop the first vampire from doing some really nasty poo poo to her people, and is now back from the dead with a grudge that makes the dorfs look polite and forgiving in comparison.

Khalida has every reason to be upset.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Night10194 posted:

Khalida has every reason to be upset.

I never said it was an unjustified grudge. :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Triskelli posted:

Yeah outside of the whole drinking blood thing Vampires in Warhammer are basically the same people they were before they got turned into vampires. There's a good number of perfectly benevolent vampires out there, some use their new immortality to help the sick in plagued areas. It's just that being a vampire openly is a great way to have a witch-hunter trying to set you on fire. Plus the whole blood sucking immortality thing can really warp your moral viewpoint after a few decades.

Well, they all basically become jerks after a few decades. In the Gotrek & Felix stuff, Ulrika goes from "woe is me this is awful" to "I'm a badass queen of the night, maybe I should turn the hero's wife into a vampire to get him to do what I want" in about 20 years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

Well, they all basically become jerks after a few decades. In the Gotrek & Felix stuff, Ulrika goes from "woe is me this is awful" to "I'm a badass queen of the night, maybe I should turn the hero's wife into a vampire to get him to do what I want" in about 20 years.

From what I was told of that series, Ulrika's story is 'Ulrika Makes A Series Of Increasingly Poor Decisions'.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Night10194 posted:

From what I was told of that series, Ulrika's story is 'Ulrika Makes A Series Of Increasingly Poor Decisions'.

Getting involved with Gotrek and Felix is always a bad idea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Lobster posted:

Getting involved with Gotrek and Felix is always a bad idea.

To be fair, it does result in fun things, like a dwarven army being airdropped into chaos wastes to kick rear end and take names. :v:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

To be fair, it does result in fun things, like a dwarven army being airdropped into chaos wastes to kick rear end and take names. :v:

Awh man now you're making me wish there was a dwarfen airship in the game..

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

It also seems surprisingly tolerant, given that it's a polytheistic institution rather than One God/God Emperor. And while Witch Hunters may rove the countryside, uh, that's because there actually are dangerous witches and wizards rather than women who know a little about herbs.

Actually the whole "women who knew about herbs"-stuff didn't really enter into it alot. The "official" definition of "witch" to the extent that such a thing existed was something like dark magic (curses, love potions, ways to supposedly control or manipulate others or cause harm to others) + religious heresy = witchcraft. In parctice this mattered little as when it actually entered the picture the Inquisition was really dubious of any accusation of witchcraft and most witch trials were more spontaneous things carried out by mobs and local authorities.

The term itself is actually gender neutral and depending on the region women weren't that much more likely to persecuted as witches than were men (I think in Germany almost as many men were killed as witches as women, and in Iceland the majority actually were men). Older, unmarried women proved to be especially vulnerable to accusations though as they often would have very limited means to defend themselves against such claims.

Male witches were usually hanged, the whole idea of burning witches comes from the death penalty if you're a woman being to be burned at the stake in many parts of Europe at the time.

quote:

The Witch Hunters also have to actually bring evidence and need the local authorities for enforcement.

That's basically the same as the historical inquisitions though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know, it just crossed my mind that Gotrek is the worst slayer ever.

Like, dude, you had ONE job, charge a giant monster half-naked and die gloriously while causing as much damage to it as possible.
You were provided with trolls.
You were provided with rat-ogres.
You were provided with giants.
You were provided with ascended champions of chaos.
You were provided with ancient necromancers.
You were provided with a dragon.
You were provided with a fuckin' greater demon of chaos.

But did you die? Noooooo, you just had to shove your axe into their skulls or skull-equivalents and come out on top. Come on, this is getting awkward for the Slayer's Keep, we've had to reschedule you funeral a dozen times by now.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gejnor posted:

Awh man now you're making me wish there was a dwarfen airship in the game..

I hope someday we'll get a DLC with all kinds of weird units and heroes, Makaisson and the Spirit of Grugni would be a natural fit.

Ed:

my dad posted:

But did you die? Noooooo, you just had to shove your axe into their skulls or skull-equivalents and come out on top. Come on, this is getting awkward for the Slayer's Keep, we've had to reschedule you funeral a dozen times by now.

Oh yes, he knows that and mortifies him to no end. At least most of the slayers that got involved with them got semi-glorious deaths, except poor Snorri :(

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 1, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Randarkman posted:

That's basically the same as the historical inquisitions though.

I think the comparison there was to 40K where Inquisitors can do basically whatever the hell they want and really can't/won't get called on it unless an Inquisitor with more resources decides to literally go to war with them over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zore posted:

I think the comparison there was to 40K where Inquisitors can do basically whatever the hell they want and really can't/won't get called on it unless an Inquisitor with more resources decides to literally go to war with them over it.

Oh, yeah, ofcourse. That should have been obvious to me that that was the point of comparison.

Though really any comparison with WH40k in terms of what is the shittiest and most horrible is kind of pointless. 40k has more or less been designed (at least in the last 20 years) around being the most horrible grimdark setting imaginable.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 1, 2016

• Locked thread