Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I give Star Trek some slack on the lack of gay characters considering the show was on in some fashion from 1987-2005, which compared to today were the dark ages for Gay America. When Enterprise went off the air states were still in the middle of passing gay marriage bans.

I get the impression that at least some people on the original show and the spinoffs wanted to do some gay issues but were rebuffed by the network for the most part. The only real way to write it back then was to do things very subtly like they did with Garak, who absolutely seems written as bisexual.
I have heard persistent remarks that Berman was the guy who didn't want no homos in no Star Trucks. Two Takes Frakes really wanted his love interest in the monogender planet episode to be played by an actor, not an actress, though, and that was over twenty years ago. Good egg, that Riker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I just got to Hard Time in my rewatch of DS9. Jeez, that one is the ultimate "gently caress you, O'Brien" episode.

Not even in a comical way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sorry we brain tortured you for what seemed like 20 years. No hard feelings? Bump it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, bad enough they made his wife a kid, his best friend a founder, and above all, a standing desk in an empty transporter room for 7 years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I get the impression that at least some people on the original show and the spinoffs wanted to do some gay issues but were rebuffed by the network for the most part. The only real way to write it back then was to do things very subtly like they did with Garak, who absolutely seems written as bisexual.

There was a script(?) for an AIDs episode that never got made. Also, Frakes argued that the monogendered planet where Riker falls in love with someone should have been dudes, but they nixed it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MorgaineDax posted:

For anyone still thinking about it and is on the fence, these two books are amazing.

I bought them both today.

I wasn't expecting to suddenly own two books I could probably kill someone with. Jesus wept.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WickedHate posted:

There was a script(?) for an AIDs episode that never got made.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek%3A_The_Next_Generation_episodes#.22Blood_and_Fire.22

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry we brain tortured you for what seemed like 20 years. No hard feelings? Bump it.

I think I've said it before, but I love Colm Meaney's performance in that episode. O'Brien always had a cheerful sort of peevishness about him, and you can really see it's absence later on in the episode when O'Brien is genuinely loosing his poo poo.

Also like the Gangster planet episode and the space hippie episode, I feel like all trek series should have an episode with that premise

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh, and Whoopi Goldberg demanded she tell Lal "when two people fall in love" rather than "a man and a woman".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

but these are the same writers that made the later seasons of Heroes, Voyager pocket books, and Eight Legged Freaks.
The Voyager books are better than Voyager the show.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Knormal posted:

The Voyager books are better than Voyager the show.

That isn't hard to do. Even by Star Trek book standards.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I guarantee you that O'Brien and Bashir accidentally gazed too deeply into each others eyes one time while getting drunk and had to avoid each other for a couple of days.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Pwnstar posted:

I guarantee you that O'Brien and Bashir accidentally gazed too deeply into each others eyes one time while getting drunk and had to avoid each other for a couple of days.

Probably after they did that Battle of Britain holodeck program.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Oh, and Whoopi Goldberg demanded she tell Lal "when two people fall in love" rather than "a man and a woman".

After she brought it up the director and writers on set decided to have two men on a date in the background, but someone leaked to the studio and they stormed down to stop it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

More like godboat.

What does God need with a boat?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MikeJF posted:

After she brought it up the director and writers on set decided to have two men on a date in the background, but someone leaked to the studio and they stormed down to stop it.

The director would be none other than Frakes, on his first directing job.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So when you find out Julian is an Übermensch they say that genetic engineering is illegal unless done for legitimate medical reasons which is why they had to cover it up. But he had a severe mental/learning disability, not being able to tell the difference between dogs and cats or houses and trees at the age of six. How is that not a reason to let them try and fix up his brain?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pwnstar posted:

So when you find out Julian is an Übermensch they say that genetic engineering is illegal unless done for legitimate medical reasons which is why they had to cover it up. But he had a severe mental/learning disability, not being able to tell the difference between dogs and cats or houses and trees at the age of six. How is that not a reason to let them try and fix up his brain?

According to Federation medicine, that put him at the very very low end of "normal," not quite enough to qualify as severe enough problems to warrant genetic engineering.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah they could have made him a diplomat to the Pakled's or something. I'm sure rights groups have normalized all sorts of disabilities and mental illnesses as just not being "neurotypical" and any attempt to fix them is seen as not just dangerously playing god but an attack on a marginalized group. It's not like anyone needs to work or have high career aspirations. Hell maybe people with severe learning disabilities have a big advocacy group and culture that says any attempt at fixing them would be genocide, not unlike capital D deaf culture today.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Also, rather than just fixing the disability, they augmented him with superior intellect, memory, and reflexes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And ability to recite numbers to way too many decimal places.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Data Graham posted:

And ability to recite numbers to way too many decimal places.

Significant figures have become obsolete in the 24th century

override367
Apr 29, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Also, rather than just fixing the disability, they augmented him with superior intellect, memory, and reflexes.

I kind of feel like this would be the result of it being illegal as much as anything

After all its no more illegal to turn their kid into a super genius than to just make him average, why not go for broke?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Earth outlawed genetic engineering because they watched Gattaca while baked one night and got existentially terrified.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Enterprise 3x12 ends with Archer basically saying "gently caress you and gently caress religion."

Glorious.

And then he let an entire race die off as an offering to his god Evolution

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Reading between the lines I think it's easy to come away with the inference that Julian's disability might not actually have been that bad. Even still, it's creepy to think if you're too dumb or have dyslexia or whatever your parents might decide to erase who you are in exchange for a completely different kid who does math well and happens to be wearing your skin.

memory alpha posted:

"Jules, you don't understand. You never did... "
"No, you don't understand! I stopped calling myself Jules when I was fifteen and I'd found out what you'd done to me! I'm Julian!"
"What difference does that make?"
"It's makes every difference! Because I'm different, can't you see? Jules Bashir died in that hospital, because you couldn't live with the shame of having a son who didn't measure up!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Come to think of it USS Shenzhou is probably named after the series of early 21st century spacecraft.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to see an asian scify that's traditionally always been like 90% chinese actors and culture in their future setting suddenly introduce the USS APOLLO FREEDOMSHIP captained by Captain John Smith, a cowboy, to court the american audience.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I want to see an asian scify that's traditionally always been like 90% chinese actors and culture in their future setting suddenly introduce the USS APOLLO FREEDOMSHIP captained by Captain John Smith, a cowboy, to court the american audience.
Is this close enough? Japan's Power Rangers had a recent season based on ninjas (Shuriken Sentai Ninninger). One of the rangers who shows up later is a cowboy whose morpher is a cheeseburger.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah they could have made him a diplomat to the Pakled's or something. I'm sure rights groups have normalized all sorts of disabilities and mental illnesses as just not being "neurotypical" and any attempt to fix them is seen as not just dangerously playing god but an attack on a marginalized group. It's not like anyone needs to work or have high career aspirations. Hell maybe people with severe learning disabilities have a big advocacy group and culture that says any attempt at fixing them would be genocide, not unlike capital D deaf culture today.

I wish they'd take more risks like this because hey, even if it isn't what we currently might consider right or normal it's an interesting extrapolation on what a future society with different technologies and social mores might be like and how they'd look back at ours, the same way we look back at how people dealt with say, plagues before antibiotics or population control before reliable prophylactics. Or Picard's bemused annoyance at the 80s stockbroker's obsession with wealth and materialism in "The Neutral Zone".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Doggles posted:

Is this close enough? Japan's Power Rangers had a recent season based on ninjas (Shuriken Sentai Ninninger). One of the rangers who shows up later is a cowboy whose morpher is a cheeseburger.

Starninger Trek; I could get into that.

Also, you forgot that his mecha is a massive wheeled bison which turns into a colossal cowboy as well :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

override367 posted:

And then he let an entire race die off as an offering to his god Evolution

With every episode Archer continues to become the best Captain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Starninger Trek; I could get into that.

Also, you forgot that his mecha is a massive wheeled bison which turns into a colossal cowboy as well :allears:

Ninninger is a terrible show. You know what was a great show with a super American giant robot? G Gundam!

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heads-up -- the DS9 DVD re-release is currently listed with a release date of February 7 with an MSRP of $144.99, so Amazon being Amazon, that price is almost certain to go down.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

I would loving love this. Have some white trash show up later wielding empty beer cans and baseball bats to make it better.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pretty much in love with this idea

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

I would loving love this. Have some white trash show up later wielding empty beer cans and baseball bats to make it better.

The elite guard are military/police drop-outs and discharges with mismatched and inappropriately coloured camouflage gear who are also wearing a bunch of tacticool gear they don't even need.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Doggles posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
The role of genetic engineering is one of those things that will look really dated to future generations and it's treatment maybe even considered downright barbaric. I mean I understand the "message" behind it but it's morally very questionable not to make everyone super smart/healthy/strong etc. if you had the possibility (the only issues arises when such a treatment is limited to certain people/groups but that's really not different to medicine in general). I guess it will also look kinda stupid that genetic adjustments (=being "too" smart) somehow makes you a super villain (well it already did look stupid when you thought about it).