Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Many of the great quest items require strategic resources, and they are worth every penny.
Not to mention they look awesome. Remember you can buy the resources with dust off the market. Technically you don't even need to build attacking units and can just buy an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got the complete pack of Endless Legend during the sale and after doing 40 turns as Ardent Mages on Easy and realising I had no idea what I should be building or doing, I cruise controlled my way to an easy victory as the Cultists. Felt bad that I couldn't do the quest all the way to the end because I had absolutely no means of acquiring Hyperium, though.

I feel like they're the easiest beginner faction? I only had one city to think about so I didn't need to think about when to build Settlers, converted villages populate themselves so you just need to stick a Preacher or Fanatic onto them if I wanted to go pick up other villages. No need to worry about the ocean either if you didn't even up with the coast near your starting position. I just got to tool around the map exploring villages and ruins until I finally conquered everyone, and the largest resistance came from the Roving Clans.

On the other hand I literally have no idea how to have more heroes than my starting hero as there doesn't see to be a 'recruit' option in the Academy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bewilderment posted:

I got the complete pack of Endless Legend during the sale and after doing 40 turns as Ardent Mages on Easy and realising I had no idea what I should be building or doing, I cruise controlled my way to an easy victory as the Cultists. Felt bad that I couldn't do the quest all the way to the end because I had absolutely no means of acquiring Hyperium, though.

I feel like they're the easiest beginner faction? I only had one city to think about so I didn't need to think about when to build Settlers, converted villages populate themselves so you just need to stick a Preacher or Fanatic onto them if I wanted to go pick up other villages. No need to worry about the ocean either if you didn't even up with the coast near your starting position. I just got to tool around the map exploring villages and ruins until I finally conquered everyone, and the largest resistance came from the Roving Clans.

On the other hand I literally have no idea how to have more heroes than my starting hero as there doesn't see to be a 'recruit' option in the Academy.

You have to research the era 1 or 2 tech that gives you access to recruiting heroes on the Marketplace.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bewilderment posted:

Felt bad that I couldn't do the quest all the way to the end because I had absolutely no means of acquiring Hyperium, though.

Research Imperial Currency in T2 and you can go to the market for all your resource needs. F8 once you have it researched. Mercenary market in T1 gets you the heroes and armies section. Note that if there's a Roving Clans player in the game he'll get a cut of everything you spend (and can block your access until you spend a pile of influence.)

I've been playing a lot of Allayi recently and just can't seem to get them working well. Any particular tips? The expansion penalty is killer, very easy to get boxed in by T2 and overwhelmed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NmareBfly posted:

Research Imperial Currency in T2 and you can go to the market for all your resource needs. F8 once you have it researched. Mercenary market in T1 gets you the heroes and armies section. Note that if there's a Roving Clans player in the game he'll get a cut of everything you spend (and can block your access until you spend a pile of influence.)

The Clans in that game were 80% of the way to an expansion victory and were one of my nearer neighbours (OK, there was the Morgawr between us but I killed them off pretty early) so I guess that was always gonna be a no-go once I started the Death March. Having the Black Spot placed on me was interesting in that literally no other nation took the bait.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The roving clans' "cut" is always like 6 dust in my experience and I'm not really sure why it exists at all if that's all you get. Am I missing something about that?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's 8% IIRC. Not really worth not buying something you want because of it. It's probably better in multiplayer with everyone buying heroes and the resources section probably getting emptied, I don't think the AI buys much from the market.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There was one time I caught the AI buying lots of mercenaries and I decided that was too dangerous for my taste, so I cut them out of the market.

Also note that when playing as Cultists, you can sell off the extra minions you get in the converted villages.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
Maybe it's because you were playing on easy, but how do you stop everyone else from just obliterating your converted villages?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The answer is "kill everyone else." simple as that. if an empire keeps wrecking your villages, burn their poo poo to the ground.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stabbatical posted:

Same here, except I've been playing as the Wind Walkers first. The game is very good so far, but I do wish that it had more of a tutorial and a Civilopedia that I could actually read in game. Otherwise, I'm really liking it. The type of battle system EL uses is very novel (to me) for a 4X game and it's a refreshing change from Civ V. Likewise with the claiming of different regions with cities.

Thanks for the tips, Speedball. One of the things the tutorial didn't make clear to me was that I'm actually meant to be following the main faction quest. I've been playing it too Civ-ly so far and trying to make cities, build armies, and get loads of techs. I may start a new game with that in mind. How worthwhile are trying to build the legendary buildings or do the era tasks? Also, how do I increase my Influence points? The AI's diplomacy screens say they all have thousands of them but I keep finding myself at the times when it's time to make empire plans and I can't get enough to do anything with it. I've not been spending them, they're just accumulating really slowly.

Anytime.

Oh, early on, the best way to get more influence points is manually, by making citizens in your cities assigned to the purple influence slot. You can't mine it out of the ground like science or food. With exceptions. There are some buildings later in the game that let you generate it based on the number of districts you have too. Having workers grinding out influence is VERY key if you want to go around brainwashing villages as the Cultists.

One of the exceptions is the Drakken faction. If a city is next to one of those Ancient Ruins, it generates a fairly good amount of Influence per turn for them (downside is you can't build OVER them). The Drakken's Empire Plan opens up one level higher than everyone else's, so they can use it to tweak their factional needs. In general the Drakken are one of the more flexible factions in the game, since there's more than one way for them to burn their influence.

Another tip I forgot: ASSIMILATION! When you pacify villages (or brainwash them as the Cult) you can make one minor faction part of your empire. This gives you a bonus based on how many of that minor faction's villages you have, and also lets you build their units. This is really important if you have a strategic hole in your army's composition. For example, the Aquamen are crappy on land, and the Forsaken's units are based around agility rather than raw strength.

Oh, and EVERY time you reach a new tech era: click on that fist icon and upgrade all your units' weapons to the next tier. It'll cost some dust to upgrade existing units, but it's worth it. Everyone else will be upgrading their units and yours will fall behind if you don't keep their equipment up to spec. I prefer giving all my units the accessory that boosts movement speed since speed is invaluable, but it's up to you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Another tip I forgot: ASSIMILATION! When you pacify villages (or brainwash them as the Cult) you can make one minor faction part of your empire. This gives you a bonus based on how many of that minor faction's villages you have, and also lets you build their units. This is really important if you have a strategic hole in your army's composition. For example, the Aquamen are crappy on land, and the Forsaken's units are based around agility rather than raw strength.

As the Ardent Mages, I assimilated the hydras immediately and never regretted it. Stopped building warlocks entirely, the hydras did a wonderful job manning the front lines while sorcerers annihilated everything. Not even sure what enequa wings do besides their respawn ability, hydras and sorcerers were a sufficient one-two punch to gut everything that crossed me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
During the beta as the sea demons, I assimilated both the centaurs and the sisters of mercy to have a half-decent land army. It seemed to work fairly well as long as I stuck a decent hero on the stack where possible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

As the Ardent Mages, I assimilated the hydras immediately and never regretted it. Stopped building warlocks entirely, the hydras did a wonderful job manning the front lines while sorcerers annihilated everything. Not even sure what enequa wings do besides their respawn ability, hydras and sorcerers were a sufficient one-two punch to gut everything that crossed me.

Hydras are amazing. Huge, powerful, and they attack everything around them. In the kind of clusters most battles turn into these guys rip up enemies. Their assimilation bonus isn't half bad either.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the early access A.I. still on super aggressive mode?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Is the early access A.I. still on super aggressive mode?

In Endless Space 2? I played a few games of the new update with the United Empire, they seem way more chill now.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

I think I've got this sea monster thing down now.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Megazver posted:

In Endless Space 2? I played a few games of the new update with the United Empire, they seem way more chill now.

Good, my poor Sophons always ended up being a few systems away from the drat Cravers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tanith posted:

I think I've got this sea monster thing down now.

Niiice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Hydras are amazing. Huge, powerful, and they attack everything around them. In the kind of clusters most battles turn into these guys rip up enemies. Their assimilation bonus isn't half bad either.

Would you mind giving a rundown on the minors and how useful they are? I ended up with three in my Ardent Mages game - the hydras, who I recruited mainly for their units, the Harmony, who I grabbed for their assimilation bonus, and the Sisters of Mercy because I had eight villages of them in my territory.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cythereal posted:

Would you mind giving a rundown on the minors and how useful they are? I ended up with three in my Ardent Mages game - the hydras, who I recruited mainly for their units, the Harmony, who I grabbed for their assimilation bonus, and the Sisters of Mercy because I had eight villages of them in my territory.

This is good, it's just on the units and not the assimilation bonus though. Depending on who you're playing that's the most important sometimes (like, Broken Lords and Delvers get along like gangbusters.):

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
It looks like the Dorgeshi got left off that chart.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

IAmUnaware posted:

It looks like the Dorgeshi got left off that chart.

I think the chart was made before the DorgeshiBurdeki were a thing. They're a cavalry unit, at least.

All the minor faction units and their stats, at least.

(PRD is production, so about how much it would cost to build one of them)

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 2, 2016

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
I didn't start playing the game until after Guardians came out, so I didn't even realize that the Dorgeshi weren't in the game at launch.

As far as a rundown on the minor factions, I don't have anything comprehensive but there are a few that I always look out for:
Delvers - Their assimilation bonus (+5% Dust per pacified village) is one of the best in the game, and their Dredges make perfectly reasonable meatshields for any race that needs one for protecting its ranged units from melee attackers. I sometimes skip researching the Wild Walkers' Tenei Walker or the Vaulters' Titan if I have Delvers around, and the Ardent Mages and Cultists can really benefit from this as well. Very solid base damage, and if you give them enough initiative you may be able to make good use of their chance to stun.
Haunts - +5% Science per pacified village makes me always take note of these, but I don't often build their Ended mostly due to their high base cost. They're flying units, though, which makes them pretty good at getting up on archers who are trying to use terrain to keep themselves safe from melee, and chain lightning has a tendency to really hurt ranged units as they will often try to stand in a ball to make the most of the adjacent friendly morale bonus. Also they're disease immune, so if you have them assimilated anyway for the Science and you're fighting Necrophages, that could be valuable.
Dorgeshi - Their assimilation bonus improves the output of your luxury extractors, which isn't usually that relevant but can be really nice if you're trying to use a small number of Wine deposits to fuel some early game expansion. Their Burdeki cavalry unit is really quite good, though. They're on the fragile side, but they have very high base initiative, high movespeed, and a pretty good chance to stun after charging into battle. They can often cause a significant portion of the enemy's army to sit out the first couple of turns of a battle, which is very powerful. You have to be careful with them against a force that's beating you on initiative, though.
Silics - Improved strategic extractors can sometimes be the difference between winning and losing battles, especially early on, and their unit makes a fine meatshield but I believe only has 1 battle movement, which makes them pretty bad at engaging any kind of ranged force.
Urces - Their assimilation bonus reduces the industry cost of buildings, which is good no matter what your strategy is. (This reduces the buyout cost of buildings as well, since the buyout cost is based on the current industry cost.) The combat unit is beefy and basically fine, but has EXTREMELY poor initiative. Great ratio of HP to cost complemented with high base defense makes them great at surviving, but their offensive ability isn't good, and their beam capacity often doesn't come into play because it doesn't trigger on counterattack.
Jotus and Hurnas - Sometimes you really need a ranged unit. I just had to go look up what their assimilation bonuses are, so clearly those haven't made much of an impression on me, but ranged units are important and if you're stuck without a great one these can be very helpful. It's worth noting that Jotus have free counter to help make up for their lack of range but don't have the defensive stats to really be taking hits, so be careful about how you try to utilize that.

I haven't bothered to buy the Emperor Edition upgrade, so I don't have the Geldirus, but it seems like +5% damage per pacified village is a pretty good assimilation bonus and the stats on the unit seem pretty good. Can anyone comment on how they work out in practice?

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 2, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I will always, always take Silics first over anything else, even if I only have one village. Strategic resources are just so, so important, militarily and strategically, and increased production often means the difference between bottlenecking on those and not. The unit I never bother with, though; I never bother with any of the meatshield units. I've given up hope of ever figuring out a way of holding a line in this game. They're just too drat slow to reliably get to the positions they need to get to.

Haunts are another favourite. I always want faster science, and the Ended's mobility and damage output can be ludicrous. Amazing flanker units. I hadn't realised they were so expensive, though. The Kazanji might be better in the role, though I'm much less interested in influence than science.

The Eyeless Ones are growing on me recently. Happiness is always useful, and their healer units have turned out to be much more useful than I was expecting. I almost never bother with support units, either.

Erycis are a faction I always want, but rarely actually use. I love their mad snakey bastard units and I love extra speed for my armies, but neither of these things are ever vital to a strategy, which makes it hard to justify a slot for them.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

So I found out today that all the soundtracks (barring ES2 obvs, hopefully they will be added some point after release) are on google play music so I put them all in a big playlist if that's something you'd like. https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXylUwrpEAXBw6i0IZycWlo_vyXimVjJ4ipJ4exp8PyLOTDUZi7_74wvXwcbk1P2O98JY5Jkb6Wjl1P2hrdvCWGKJQLWeJg==

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geldrius are pretty awesome considering they're naturally immune to winter. In combat they're nasty.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just started playing endless legend. can i set the autosave frequency to something other than every turn? i dont see an option for that anywhere. also is there any way to destroy an enemy city without taking it over?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I dunno about the auto save thing bit if you use the Salt the Earth project you raze the city and get a settler back.

Honestly if you build a bunch of Markets (can't remember what the Era 2 Approval building is right now) and/or chug wine, approval is pretty neglible in this game unless you're Allayi.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Deleter posted:

I dunno about the auto save thing bit if you use the Salt the Earth project you raze the city and get a settler back.

Honestly if you build a bunch of Markets (can't remember what the Era 2 Approval building is right now) and/or chug wine, approval is pretty neglible in this game unless you're Allayi.

You can't raze enemy cities until they're done being little shits about being taken over.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Spanish Matlock posted:

You can't raze enemy cities until they're done being little shits about being taken over.

Play Cultists, problem solved. :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tanith posted:

Play Cultists, problem solved. :v:

or Clans. Actually anyone can research the mercenary tech to let you create secret armies of minor faction assholes who can raze cities.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Or you just perma siege a city and turn it into an awesome XP farm. Will work great against AI, you might have some issues with human players when they salt their unsieged cities and rage quit.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm trying to expand my repertoire and play factions other than Necrophages. So far I've tried Forgotten, Allayi, and the Roving Clans, but haven't really clicked with any of them. I like the idea of Roving Clans but have no idea what the gently caress I am supposed to be doing.

Things are much easier when I can just eat everyone. :(

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I forgot how good Endless Legend is. Fired it up for the first time in a long time and ended up with the Cultists as my random faction. The game went to a turn limit end with the Drakken taking first place. I definitely made some tech mistakes and apparently leaned way too heavily on my Minor Faction troops. I had 16 troops, mostly Hydras Dredges and Ogres along with my starter hero, assaulting the Vaulters capital (the only empire left between me and the Drakken) when suddenly their lvl.14 starter hero comes walking up with a full retinue of lvl.11 Iron Marines. 4 vs 16 and she annihilated us. I led in points nearly the entire game until that point when the shock of the defeat apparently affected just enough of my empire to put me below the Drakken. Awesome game, though.

I really need to learn more about the combat in this game. I automate battles way too often.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 22, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Worth getting early access or waiting it out for Endless Space 2? How is it shaping up, and whens the release date?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jastiger posted:

Worth getting early access or waiting it out for Endless Space 2? How is it shaping up, and whens the release date?

I have early access, and I would wait. It's just not a very engaging game yet, so I don't feel much motivation to play it other than a few times after each major patch to see what they changed. It's not bad exactly, it's just obviously incomplete, with major gameplay systems either missing or due for a revamp.

I personally like the direction it seems to be heading, but they've also simplified combat a lot since EL (at the moment it's even simpler than ES1 too), and they've specifically said that their goal is a combat system where auto-resolving is never worse than playing it out: ie: no in-battle commands of any sort. If that's the kind of thing that bugs you, you might hate this game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2016

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I bought it and don't regret it, since I've enjoyed playing Amplitude's previous games in early access, watching them take shape, offering feedback and what not. but I haven't really played it all that much, because they have a large amount of stuff still left to implement and it's kinda bare bones as it stands. so look at it from that perspective.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The benefit to grabbing it now is you'll get a better price.

At least, until it goes on sale for the first time. It's not on sale now, and probably won't be until a month or two after release. Depends if Steam has a Spring sale or not, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jastiger posted:

I think it's improving since its first Alpha release, but it's definitely not a complete game yet. I bought it immediately, but part of that was because I want to support Amplitude and make the game better.