Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Jivesauce posted:

Yeah, but to be clear that guy wasn't even the starter; he gets brought in to run the wildcat and throw the occasional bad pass, so that whole thing was a little odd. There was absolutely 0 chance he went to the NFL.

It wasn't odd? He realized that he wasn't going to go to the NFL and didn't want to risk further injuries that would hurt his career chances in other fields. Especially considering the stuff coming out today, it seems like a logical choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Hello Towel posted:

Only the whitehairs from Bedford or whatever still venerate Knight. They're just really vocal.

Idk man, I still hear a lot of people, even young ones, around Bloomington talk about how great Knight was. Actually just had one in my office today talking about it. You're right though, I don't think it's anywhere near a majority.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Jivesauce posted:

Idk man, I still hear a lot of people, even young ones, around Bloomington talk about how great Knight was. Actually just had one in my office today talking about it. You're right though, I don't think it's anywhere near a majority.

Most of the people I know around town actively dislike him at this point. But maybe that's just the crowd I hang out with.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Hello Towel posted:

It wasn't odd? He realized that he wasn't going to go to the NFL and didn't want to risk further injuries that would hurt his career chances in other fields. Especially considering the stuff coming out today, it seems like a logical choice.

It wasn't odd that he made the decision, it was odd that it made such big news. I understand that an athlete retiring to protect themselves from CTE is a hot story, but we're not talking about some 1st round draft prospect giving up years of potential huge income, we're talking about someone that might have played one more year of college ball and had no future prospects.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Diamont's dad is some soap opera god and his mom was one of Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld. He's always been talked about above his production level because of that.

And Kevin Wilson sounds like a lovely dude but if they wanted to give him a chance to repair his image by giving him Tim Beck's job I would be okay with that.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

sportsgenius86 posted:

Diamont's dad is some soap opera god and his mom was one of Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld. He's always been talked about above his production level because of that.

And Kevin Wilson sounds like a lovely dude but if they wanted to give him a chance to repair his image by giving him Tim Beck's job I would be okay with that.

If you're rushing kids back from concussions you should be banned from coaching any level of football again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

He is also himself just obnoxiously handsome and I think did some modeling

Hello Towel posted:

It sounds like neither, really - more like rushing players back from concussions and injuries.

Sounds like probably both (this guy played for him at OU but doubt Wilson significantly toned it down since then)

https://twitter.com/gabeikard/status/804429644200050688

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

^^Yeah, it does sound like both. I didn't see that tweet yet when I posted earlier.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He's seriously an even worse Tim Beckman. Christ :stare:

Neil Armbong posted:

If you're rushing kids back from concussions you should be banned from coaching any level of football again.

Also this.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

DJExile posted:

He's seriously an even worse Tim Beckman. Christ :stare:

Also this.

Yep. Hope he never gets a job again.

The number of people on social media framing it as "kids these days are pansies" or "lol if Indiana thinks they're going to get a better coach" is kind of sickening.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 1, 2016

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

I agree. I just really hate Tim Beck

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neil Armbong posted:

Who would enforce that?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tim Beck is different than Tim Beckman? :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Who would enforce that?

An ncaa show cause penalty

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tim Beck sounds a lot like an alias Beckman would come up with for himself

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Kevin Wilson is a way better coach for Indiana than Les Miles would be

Indiana has hired a former LSU coach before, you see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_DiNardo

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

quote:

UH also plans to interview two in-house candidates -- interim coach/defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, the Chronicle reported. Fertitta said he has received numerous calls from those close to the Baylor program voicing support for former coach Art Briles.

JESUS loving CHRIST

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-coach-position

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Press conference on Wilson just started. Fred Glass announced that Tom Allen is permanent head coach of IU.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hello Towel posted:

Press conference on Wilson just started. Fred Glass announced that Tom Allen is permanent head coach of IU.

since IU is a public school, don't they need some sham of an interview process

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

since IU is a public school, don't they need some sham of an interview process

Guess not? :shrug: I really don't know.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Fred Glass being very vague on the reasons for the dismissal. Some sort of deal is worked out and maybe he doesn't want to say anything for fear of lawsuits.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Fred Glass being very vague on the reasons for the dismissal. Some sort of deal is worked out and maybe he doesn't want to say anything for fear of lawsuits.

So far I'm getting that it's a basket of empty calories and that's why he's gone? :psyduck:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Well, he is a former lawyer.

He also stated that an outside review concluded that player medical care was "not compromised."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Vague reasons and Wilson only getting 1 year salary of 542k as compensation? That smells to me like something bad happened. I hope not, but ehhhh.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Vague reasons and Wilson only getting 1 year salary of 542k as compensation? That smells to me like something bad happened. I hope not, but ehhhh.

No matter how many times Glass says "no precipitating event," it seems pretty clear SOMETHING must have happened.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Well, whatever it was, they didn't deem it necessary to clean house I guess. Tom Allen <did> do a hell of a job with that historically godawful D, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

At first i was kinda pissed by the non-answers, but watching Glass try and squirm out of these questions is pretty funny.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Well, whatever it was, they didn't deem it necessary to clean house I guess. Tom Allen <did> do a hell of a job with that historically godawful D, though.

Yeah. The one silver lining on this whole afwul thing is keeping Allen in Bloomington. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/zanderdiamont/status/804438999653875713

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Well I guess the IU carousel lasted a full three hours

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If the buyout is reduced/eliminated if he gets another job, Indiana would be well served to be vague about what precipitated this. I like your style guys.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

If the buyout is reduced/eliminated if he gets another job, Indiana would be well served to be vague about what precipitated this. I like your style guys.

Pretty sure forcing injured kids to play and avoiding the concussion protocol falls under "for cause".

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
There had always been a sort of unstated thing about Kevin Wilson when he was OU. Nobody ever talked about it but everyone seemed to know there was something up with him. There was a reason the best job he could get was Indiana.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Pretty sure forcing injured kids to play and avoiding the concussion protocol falls under "for cause".

I can't remember, was Beckman fired for cause? Seems like that almost never happens, probably usually generates more negative attention for the school than it's worth.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Dog posted:

I think the AD actually said it wasn't going to be reduced.

The actual buyout from what I understood him saying was $524K for five years with reduction if he gets a new job. This is $524k for one year, no reduction.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

I can't remember, was Beckman fired for cause? Seems like that almost never happens, probably usually generates more negative attention for the school than it's worth.

According to this article, he did not get his buyout.

Also, Mike Leach was fired for cause, but then after it came out that the James family was full of poo poo he sued and won. Schools usually try to negotiate a little reasoning that it might be cheaper and easier to give some money for them to just go away rather than fight in court. Even USC (if I recall correctly) had a settlement with Sark rather than going to court over the buyout.

edit: ^^That number is totally affordable and worth it for just having him go away forever. Might end up spending more in court to not pay him that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah if he settled for that little he must not have much of a leg to stand on. I always hate to see these guys self destruct in their prime, hopefully he learns from this and lands on his feet somewhere.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Yeah if he settled for that little he must not have much of a leg to stand on. I always hate to see these guys self destruct in their prime, hopefully he learns from this and lands on his feet somewhere.

You are impressively committed to your shithead gimmick I have to admit.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This thread is great, and a glimpse into the aspect of teams that I certainly don't consider enough, but goddamnit, every time I see an explosion of posts, my first thought is "oh gently caress, there went Fleck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

According to this article, he did not get his buyout.

Also, Mike Leach was fired for cause, but then after it came out that the James family was full of poo poo he sued and won. Schools usually try to negotiate a little reasoning that it might be cheaper and easier to give some money for them to just go away rather than fight in court. Even USC (if I recall correctly) had a settlement with Sark rather than going to court over the buyout.

edit: ^^That number is totally affordable and worth it for just having him go away forever. Might end up spending more in court to not pay him that.

Mike Leach lost all those suits. They didn't pay him his buyout and they didn't pay him the bonus that was owed to him had they fired him 2 days later.

• Locked thread