Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The thing that really fucks with my head is that I put together a MAME cabinet like 10 years ago and made a custom stick/button set in FG layout, don't remember having any sort of gate other than the circle that was bored out for installation and that one didn't give me any probs either.

Yeah I'm not afraid to do so, I was just wondering if square and balltop is default everywhere

what youre saying is like im looking to buy a car and i want one with no seatbelts, and also when you turn on the fan it just spews diarrhea into your face and you can never turn it off. do all cars these days come with seatbelts and non-poo poo based AC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Enkmar posted:

Also glued a bar to prevent the joystick from being able to hit the "up" switch or even move it upwards, rewired the upswitch to a button and now I have a jump button! :shepface:

*backs away slowly*

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

get a korean style stick with the rubber bands and transcend shape-of-gate entirely

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
Enkmar you think you're helping a new person when you help them buy an octogate but in reality its more like helping a suicidal person buy a gun

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It must be really tricky to design Laura costumes when you consider that there's probably company mandate that dictates 10% of her body at maximum can be covered by clothing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*backs away slowly*

ah but wait I haven't told you about the SOCD Cleaner I made from a nand chip so the jump button has priority over the other directions

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Octogates are garbage and if you use one you're garbage

It makes like 90% of everything you do in a fighting game harder just to make the literal easiest thing to do a bit easier.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

It must be really tricky to design Laura costumes when you consider that there's probably company mandate that dictates 10% of her body at maximum can be covered by clothing

I still think it's hilarious she's supposed to be a grappler tough cookie MMA fighter instead of a pinup girl for breast implants.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It makes like 90% of everything you do in a fighting game harder just to make the literal easiest thing to do a bit easier.

You ever use optical switches in your stick?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

what if you treat it like weighted clothing training

you can go super saiyan on a square gate later on!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Good thing they are 3 dollar pieces of plastic you can swap at leisure

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

excuse me but she has pants on in her default costum

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
holy poo poo please do not listen to enkmar

how is it that the worst possible person to answer with advice is the one giving it to some new dude

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
okay, assume I'm not going to get an octogate anymore. Am I just retarded for having trouble with that specific stick when it hasn't happened before? Is there something cheap/odd in that one that I should avoid or did I just get old and bad at inputs, does the size of the square affect things? Because I quit using that at some point and started even using the loving analog stick on a 360 pad to play Hugo and did better with DP's/FB's. I just don't want to buy an expensive one for PS4 and realize oh it's just me who's retarded.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Like I said you're not going to get nuance about the gates here. I think circular gates have been claimed to help with grapplers so this could be what's going on

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I didn't even play grappler until USF4, but I've also always been very bad at competitive play in all FG's despite being more interested in them than most other kinds of online games. Being a top 50 Hugo on xbl was my greatest accomplishment lol.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 1, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

okay, assume I'm not going to get an octogate anymore. Am I just retarded for having trouble with that specific stick when it hasn't happened before? Is there something cheap/odd in that one that I should avoid or did I just get old and bad at inputs, does the size of the square affect things? Because I quit using that at some point and started even using the loving analog stick on a 360 pad to play Hugo and did better with DP's/FB's. I just don't want to buy an expensive one for PS4 and realize oh it's just me who's retarded.

If you haven't used a stick with a square gate before, it will feel weird and take some adjustment, this happens to everyone. Once you get over that hump it is worth it because you will be able to play very comfortably and accurately.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

do you have another stick you can play with, maybe a friends or something, for like an hour and see if it feels any better? Also maybe go into practice mode and turn on input display and see if inputs aren't coming out like they should? The most obvious answer is you aren't use to it and need to practice but it is possible that something has gone bad, or was always bad in the stick. My GG PS4 TE2 had a bad down-left which i had to replace a part for, and it wasn't just in my head because I know I'm bad but bbj also used it and had the same issue.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

okay, assume I'm not going to get an octogate anymore. Am I just retarded for having trouble with that specific stick when it hasn't happened before? Is there something cheap/odd in that one that I should avoid or did I just get old and bad at inputs? Because I quit using that at some point and started even using the loving analog stick on a 360 pad to play Hugo and did better with DP's/FB's.

The madcatz stick you linked earlier is pretty bad. Madcatz's own generic buttons and sticks were garbage, and iirc the sticks on the original sf4 madcatz sticks broke a lot, and low quality parts can definitely make a difference. like playing on an arcade cabinet that uses american bat top HAPP garbage parts is a nightmare. The mdcatz te2 and every other madcatz model that costs 100+ dollars uses sanwa sticks and buttons, which are much better. always make sure you have a sanwa, seimitsu, or hori hayabusa stick :thumbsup:

it's pretty easy to swap sticks on newer madcatz and horii cases because you can just pop them open and just have to unscrew some stuff like other ppl have said. idk about that particular madcatz model, the older/cheaper madcatz and hori cases were harder to open.

You can get a decent square or octogate seimitsu or sanwa stick on arcadeshock for like 20 bucks. Altho you'd probably want to replace madcatz garbage buttons too.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

also turn on inputs in training mode to make sure you're actually hitting all the inputs.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I still think it's hilarious she's supposed to be a grappler tough cookie MMA fighter instead of a pinup girl for breast implants.

she's a japanese wrestler tho

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Enkmar posted:

shut up shut up shut up

Maybe dont bring up the lovely gate slapfight and help the guy find his loving parts

Octogates are loving stupid and objectively worse.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i guess if you want to be that one guy at locals who no one will ever ask to borrow your stick because you use a heathen and hosed up gate set-up

then sure, go for an octogate set-up

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Haha God forbid anyone has any level of autonomy. I even agree that square gates are better for nearly everyone, just wanted to help the guy get the part he mentioned.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yikes, sorry about all that

Now please tell me how Rey from The Force Awakens is not a Mary Sue and whether pineapples are supposed to be on pizza

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

she's a japanese wrestler tho

He's talking about Laura. That poo poo looks reserved compared to Mika's default anyways.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

General Morden posted:

i guess if you want to be that one guy at locals who no one will ever ask to borrow your stick because you use a heathen and hosed up gate set-up

then sure, go for an octogate set-up

there's better ways of ensuring no one wants to borrow your controller

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
How about you gently caress faces sign up for this tournament next Sunday Dec 4. Check in is at 7:45pm fights start at 8pm. It's swiss format so there are no eliminations and you can just keep playing for the duration of the tournament even if you're a garbage octagate user.

West coast states only please though

http://challonge.com/SiberianExpress18

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

If you use an octogate this could happen to you

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HbFrmFRsh5w

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I have some experience with some of the budget sticks. the mad catz that's like 80 bucks has buttons that are okay and there's only 6 but I think it has a better joystick then the other stick i own which is the mayflash 3000.

The flash was around 45 bucks has better buttons but the square gate is just a bit smaller then a normal one so that took some getting use to.

These sticks are great if your just starting out and want to get a feel before you drop some money on a better one.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
HP is the center button on my Pump It Up pad, MP is the windshield wiper button my Steel Battalion controller, and for LP I yell "Xbox Punch" into a Kinect. No problems so far and it's just as easy to get working with the PC version as my normal stick.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
about the smaller square gate. before I bought that stick I could do vegas dash crimson roll body hop on command 100% of the time but as soon as I switched sticks I had to re learn it. it was like I completely forgot how to do it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

If you use an octogate this could happen to you

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HbFrmFRsh5w

I hope Mike starts entering tournaments again so I can believe in something in 2017.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yikes, sorry about all that

Now please tell me how Rey from The Force Awakens is not a Mary Sue and whether pineapples are supposed to be on pizza

No and loving no

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Am I the only one that unironically likes Chola Chun?

Doggir fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 2, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think weird non-template or canon or whatever costumes are cool and Chun having big red hair is cool.

That being said it looks like she is wearing a diaper

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Streetwalker Chun is probably my least favorite to be honest.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Saint Freak posted:

Streetwalker Chun is probably my least favorite to be honest.

the models and costumes continue to be loving horrible

It's a fighting game so it's no less than I expect but yeah, bad

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Doggir posted:

Am I the only one that unironically likes Chola Chun?

Out of everything they changed, getting rid of her bangs is the biggest thing that makes her look like a whole different person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reiley posted:

Out of everything they changed, getting rid of her bangs is the biggest thing that makes her look like a whole different person.

the pants look really bad and inhuman beyond how chunli's giant inhuman legs usually look