Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I genuinely really like King the character as opposed to King the joke. The joke is also very good though.

King is the strongest. Or, if we're being pedantic, his heart is. In more ways than one. Also his characterization and the impact thereof, both comic and dramatic, however muddied the two are whenever he's involved. Though strictly speaking I ought to narrow the superlative of "strongest characterization" to the secondary cast, because Saitama and Geno have had much more time develop. In the limited time King has had the opportunity to act as a character though, much like Mumen Rider, he's been worth a lot of bang for his buck in terms of impact compared to screentime. When people say King is the strongest, don't just interpret the sentiment as a joke they want to run into the ground, but rather as a tribute to a character for which they have great fondness. According to the terms set out by the context of the story and world yes, King is a fraud. Despite that, deep in his heart of hearts, he wants to be something more. He wants to be the hero that people think he is, even if his fears and weaknesses, practical or otherwise, limit his concerns to the more petty and genuinely pathetic. As in to watch King in his daily life, one cannot help but feel pathos for him. But that glimmer of something brave, that solid core in the center of the mantle of roiling fear beneath the stoic crust forming his facade, is a part of why he's still willing to try to put himself out there and hope his name and reputation is enough to save people's lives. Granted, the other part is because of the web of comic misunderstandings, dumb luck, and his own insecurities about what might happen if he were to openly show fear. But that's plainly obvious and doesn't need a deeper reading or explanation. That's why when he meets his hero, Saitama, he's so touched and yet incredibly crushed by his guilt. And it's why Saitama is willing to keep his secret and become his friend.

Those who've read ahead in the ONE version should already know this, but underneath the joke, and the comic irony, and against his own private confessions, there's clear evidence that King genuinely wants to be a real hero. And, in the Monster Association arc, he is.

And so I will not stand to have louts and scapegraces besmirch the good name of the man we call K I N G in the name of childish discussions on power level or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Number 2 of my favorite Class S members is Genos. Genos's arm is ranked 1 because it's always missing.

:shittypop:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Remember that time people were warned politely to stop hinting at/outright discussing things that happened in the ONE version

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah good times

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bisse posted:

I think that kid's father is the guy who started the hero association, in response to his kid being saved from a monster by an unknown hero.

EDIT: Spoilered because i'm not sure if that has been mentioned in Murata's version yet

IIRC it's alluded to but not directly said in Murata's work. Both the kid and the founder of the association share very distinctive chins.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I guess it's time for me to stop reading the this topic for a while?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As it happens King is the worlds strongest human, but even if he somehow weren't, i'd still have faith in him as a good person.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The KING joke is a little much at times, but I understand what people are saying. Honestly, between this and Hero Academia, I'm starting to enjoy superhero comics again.

OPM has a great cast, and what's even better is ONE is very good about peeling back that two dimensional feel of heroes. We get to see their public face as well as who that person is and can empathize with them a bit. Anyone with a sibling can understand Blizzard, and we've all gotten praise for something we didn't do like King.

It reminds me of some of the DC/Marvel comics I've enjoyed where yea, there's the hero saving the universe, but also here's a person I can relate to as well. It's been a great fun read so far, as well as going through Mob Psycho 100.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

RedMagus posted:

The KING joke is a little much at times, but I understand what people are saying. Honestly, between this and Hero Academia, I'm starting to enjoy superhero comics again.

OPM has a great cast, and what's even better is ONE is very good about peeling back that two dimensional feel of heroes. We get to see their public face as well as who that person is and can empathize with them a bit. Anyone with a sibling can understand Blizzard, and we've all gotten praise for something we didn't do like King.

It reminds me of some of the DC/Marvel comics I've enjoyed where yea, there's the hero saving the universe, but also here's a person I can relate to as well. It's been a great fun read so far, as well as going through Mob Psycho 100.

IF MHA is X-Men/Marvel, does that make OPM DC?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mraagvpeine posted:

IF MHA is X-Men/Marvel, does that make OPM DC?

If MHA is X-Men, OPM is the Justice Friend's from Dexter's Lab.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dragonball vs Saitama parts 1, 2 and 3.

http://imgur.com/a/bh2mD

http://imgur.com/a/gr2co

http://imgur.com/gallery/NIjQF

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Oh wow, I had only ever seen the first one. Those are great, Dragonball and OPM fit together amazingly well.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

these are nice thank you for sharing them

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Saitama getting praise from the crowd :cry:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Don't insult the Cell Games, they're the last bastion of hope for LAN Parties.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

EmmyOk posted:

It has been! I think Man with Hat is saying in addition to that fact that the founder became the hero called BLAST and gave himself the number one ranking.

This, yes! Except I meant that he's pretending to be a hero and gave himself top rank to look rad. Or the same but to his kid, the kid that Saitama saved. This would explain why he's never around, since he can't fight at all. Although it would be cool if the kid turns out to be blast, drawing explosive nipples on monster with a magical sharpie.

In reality I don't have any real guess about blast and am excited to find out when the Murata version gets there (ie. not right now in spoilers from someone who does read the ONE version, since this is the wrong place for those).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will spoil that at the pace the Murata version is going you will find out sometimes in 2037.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Blast is Saitama, tell your friends.

Or not. Nobody knows yet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's Mumen Rider, lads, the hero with the greatest spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNiI5t0Ueo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some say that he's terrified of ducks, and that there's an airport in Russia named after him.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think Blast is Saitama and no one, not him, nor the association has any idea.

I'm always wrong about speculation, so cross that off the list.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That'd be weird considering he's already done that with King and Saitama.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes, yes it would.

Aug 24, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

It's Mumen Rider, lads, the hero with the greatest spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNiI5t0Ueo

oh drat thats his theme? its very heroic!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Of course Saitama has an understanding of kayfabe.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I am very disappointed in the lack of King figurines

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Relin posted:

I am very disappointed in the lack of King figurines

I too would like to see more of King's figurines

I bet he has a lot

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wonder if he displays them, or if he's the kind of guy that leaves them boxed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

I wonder if he displays them, or if he's the kind of guy that leaves them boxed.

gently caress, you could make a serious case for either, couldn't you?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It depends on which ones he wants to jerk off on

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress, you could make a serious case for either, couldn't you?

he obviously buys 2 to avoid this problem

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kuvo posted:

But his displays fold away easily so no-one else can see them.

Unlike most people buying these figurines, King has a sense of shame. Just another way he stands out, even among heroes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

Woah, the King ain't no otaku scrub, he buys three; one for opening, one for prosperity and one for trading.

Aug 24, 2011

king isn't lame, he would unbox his figurines so he can enjoy them

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

muike posted:

It depends on which ones he wants to jerk off on

He doesn't need to jerk off because he is in a happy open relationship with the Esper Sisters.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
That's a game he bought, of course? I thought we've only seen the Doki Doki Sisters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

where the red fern gropes posted:

king isn't lame, he would unbox his figurines so he can enjoy them

You say that as if it is lame to introduce your friends to a hobby you enjoy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anything lame is made great by virtue of King's fandom of it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He doesn't need to jerk off because he is in a happy open relationship with the Esper Sisters.
This is the point where things are getting weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Speaking of King... there's a new side chapter with him!