Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm still a bit on the fence with the new GLA but I enjoyed these bits of dialogue from #2.

I mean, I'm not going to read GLA or anything, but I'm very happy this is a panel that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

But don't worry...

I had no interest in USAvengers until I saw Red (White and Blue) Hulk kicking rear end on that cover.

I now want a Red Hulk/Magnum P.I. crossover.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I now want a Red Hulk/Magnum P.I. crossover.
With Sunspot in charge and Ewing writing it's almost guaranteed to come up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They finally let Red Hulk keep his mustache.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

They finally let Red Hulk keep his mustache.

Only heard about U.S. Avengers today and this alone would sell me on it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

But don't worry...

I had no interest in USAvengers until I saw Red (White and Blue) Hulk kicking rear end on that cover.

Who is this Captain America? I assume it's not the one from the Spider-Gwen universe. And obviously not the 2099-Roberta.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Decius posted:

Who is this Captain America? I assume it's not the one from the Spider-Gwen universe. And obviously not the 2099-Roberta.

20XX, Danielle Cage. Ewing has been using the Avengers of 20XX in a lot of his stuff.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Is the girl in the white bathing suit meant to be native American? And on the heels of that, do folks like Forge still get colored like a white person who fell asleep in the sun, or did they finally figure out that's kind of hosed up?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

20XX, Danielle Cage. Ewing has been using the Avengers of 20XX in a lot of his stuff.

Did they cancel Power Man and Iron Fist, because it's a little weird to use future Danielle Cage in a book as a regular when baby Danielle Cage is still a thing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Did they cancel Power Man and Iron Fist, because it's a little weird to use future Danielle Cage in a book as a regular when baby Danielle Cage is still a thing

How is that weird? Have you read comics before? That doesn't even score a .001 on the weird scale. We have X-Men of two different periods living together and interacting all the time.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Danielle babysitting herself ought to be a thing that happens at some point

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

How is that weird? Have you read comics before? That doesn't even score a .001 on the weird scale. We have X-Men of two different periods living together and interacting all the time.

Yeah, but one's a baby, that makes it weirder for me. Rachel Summers would be a lot weirder if when she was introduced Scott Summers had a baby named Rachel.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The main thing I'm taking from that old New Mutants bathing suits pic is that Roberto is a short arse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but one's a baby, that makes it weirder for me. Rachel Summers would be a lot weirder if when she was introduced Scott Summers had a baby named Rachel.

Let me tell you about Franklin Richards...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skwirl posted:

Was there not a time when Cable existed at the same time as himself?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

The main thing I'm taking from that old New Mutants bathing suits pic is that Roberto is a short arse.

The context for that panel is that they're chasing two miscreants around the globe. They land in Rio, Robert's hometown. He volunteers to go get disguises for them because they're in their school uniforms. Those are the disguises.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

SonicRulez posted:

Was there not a time when Cable existed at the same time as himself?

I'm pretty sure baby Nathan had already been taken off post-Inferno for a little bit when Cable debuted. But I'm phone posting and can't check easily.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Let me tell you about Franklin Richards...

I wonder if it has to be weird walking into a room and seeing your ex is now a pre-teen.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Re: U.S.Avengers cover

Why is there a tank that has two barrels pointing in two different directions?

Signed: Confused in America

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

davidspackage posted:

Is the girl in the white bathing suit meant to be native American? And on the heels of that, do folks like Forge still get colored like a white person who fell asleep in the sun, or did they finally figure out that's kind of hosed up?

Yes (Danielle Moonstar, mutant and valkyrie), and I don't know.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

*searches the "dr. nemesis" tag on Tumblr*

*cracks knuckles, opens up Notepad*

hell yeah, I got this

davidspackage posted:

The coloring of skin tones used to be pretty weird and I really have no idea what the motivation for it was; if you read contemporary letter columns, it's clear Marvel was trying to be inclusive, non-stereotypical, and so forth, but on the other hand, you had Shang-Chi almost as unnaturally bronze as Doc Samson in the very same panel with Asians who'd been colored more realistically, and then there was that weird thing where anyone of Arab extraction was gray (?!).

e.g. Asp (Captain America #311, 1985)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pastry of the Year posted:

e.g. Asp (Captain America #311, 1985)

This exact thing must happen to the Kingpin at least bimonthly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

This exact thing must happen to the Kingpin at least bimonthly.

"Miss, interviews for superpowered henchpersons are on Thursday afternoons. Tuesday morning is when I see prospective mundane hired muscle."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The coloring of skin tones used to be pretty weird and I really have no idea what the motivation for it was; if you read contemporary letter columns, it's clear Marvel was trying to be inclusive, non-stereotypical, and so forth, but on the other hand, you had Shang-Chi almost as unnaturally bronze as Doc Samson in the very same panel with Asians who'd been colored more realistically, and then there was that weird thing where anyone of Arab extraction was gray (?!).

Black people were sometimes gray as well. I'm reading through old Strange Tales, and Gabriel Jones of SHIELD could be a good stand-in for Tombstone with that skin colour.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

davidspackage posted:

To be fair, given the way comics are (or used to be) printed, if the red is a little bit out of alignment, your art becomes super racist real fast.

Not that that's an excuse for a lot of the coloring, but it can bite a colorist who is actually trying in the rear end.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Gaz-L posted:

"Miss, interviews for superpowered henchpersons are on Thursday afternoons. Tuesday morning is when I see prospective mundane hired muscle."

Not this Tuesday after the fracas in the lobby

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

To be fair, given the way comics are (or used to be) printed, if the red is a little bit out of alignment, your art becomes super racist real fast.

Not that that's an excuse for a lot of the coloring, but it can bite a colorist who is actually trying in the rear end.

How many shades of color could you actually get with four-color printing back then?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
About the skin colour stuff - there's some pretty interesting material around history of the colour palette available to artists in pre-digital eras

I can't find the historical account that I'm thinking of, but this blog post shows some of the different colour palettes that were possible: http://www.co2comics.com/blog/2010/09/28/the-comic-companytrue-colors-part-3/

From what I remember, Marvel and DC further chose house subsets of those colours as a cost-saving measure.. if anyone has a more detailed history I'd love to read it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also that's not really grey, it's a too-desaturated brown. I can't imagine they had a lot of options for print back then. But you can tell they're trying.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jim Starlin, Steve Englehart, and Al Milgrom as a trio of junkie muggers getting walloped by Shang-Chi in Master of Kung-Fu #17 (1974).

I've always been a sucker for these little creator cameos.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Was the monkey ok?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shang-Chi varied from Caucasian pink to school bus orange over the course of his series. It's kind of funny to read the old issues because there was a letterhack named William Ha who constantly showed up in the letter columns complaining about Shang-Chi's skin tone, and the editors were always like, "we know, we know, we're trying, honest."

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Re: U.S.Avengers cover

Why is there a tank that has two barrels pointing in two different directions?

Signed: Confused in America

Area denial.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

dordreff posted:

"Dumb assholes bickering like idiots". Congratulations, you now know the joke to all 50-odd episodes of the podcast. Enjoy.

The adventure zone is an excellent comedy podcast, don't listen to this parade-rainer.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760191

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Pacra posted:

The adventure zone is an excellent comedy podcast, don't listen to this parade-rainer.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760191

Hey, I never said it wasn't funny bickering. It's just that that and petty workplace bullying is basically all Tres Horny Boys ever do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dordreff posted:

Hey, I never said it wasn't funny bickering. It's just that that and petty workplace bullying is basically all Tres Horny Boys ever do.

You're forgetting all the town destruction.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Who What Now posted:

A level one commoner

Oh, you need to listen to D&D Is For Nerds. A level 2 adventurer is almost taken out by his own house cat familiar.

EDIT: I mean, if you are down for a table of idiots making really bad decisions but getting karmic justice at the hands of their long suffering DM.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Who What Now posted:

You're forgetting all the town destruction.

Yeah. Tres Horny Boys are very very good at killing things. Whether they want to kill them or not is an entirely different matter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

I'm pretty sure baby Nathan had already been taken off post-Inferno for a little bit when Cable debuted. But I'm phone posting and can't check easily.
No, Cable debuted in March 1990 and was leading the New Mutants for a bit before baby Nathan was sent into the future in X-Factor #68 (July 1991).

That also ignores that his pre-comic debut he was active in the current time as part of Six Pack.

I don't think they ever met, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

As a young (and it should probably be noted: super white) comic reader, it never even occurred to me that Asp' s coloration was anything other than a part of her powers. Yikes.

I mean there are green people and purple people, so why not slate gray?