Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OxMan posted:

That's the good ol bioware trick of leaving the camera above elbow level to hide they couldn't animate it and just switching gun_asset to ryder. Hyped after that trailer tho the shooting and powers look fun. If everyone calls you Herald I mean Pathfinder that would suck tho.

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Witcher 3 ends up lampooning this very Bioware thing early in the game. Vesemir picks up a letter from Geralt, and the camera is set above their hands, so you just see the model for the letter swing up into the screen. I end up thinking "oh look, they're covering for a shortcoming of the animation engine", only for the very next scene to not only show Vesemir holding the letter in a full profile shot, but also giving it back to Geralt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

tayvaan posted:

It probably makes a difference that you can customize Ryder's face but not Geralt's. It does look rough though.

I think this is a big one, and yet that scene was worse than ME3 or DA:I.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Where...where is the loving.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I was gonna say that the most important part being the combat looked good, but I realize now my priorities were wrong.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Don't preorder bioware games you idiots

The best thing about preordering video games is that it makes nerds on the internet really mad.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mymla posted:

The best thing about preordering video games is that it makes nerds on the internet really mad.
I preordered the Deluxe Edition!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BrianWilly posted:

Where...where is the loving.

Maybe the real loving is the friends we made along the way to Andromeda :kiddo:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mymla posted:

The best thing about preordering video games is that it makes nerds on the internet really mad game publishers shittier and shittier.

Unironically agree with this change, btw. The new lows we're going to see with preorder culture are going to be magnificent.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm actually okay with this, mainly because the combat in ME has always been way more fun than in any dragon age game. The problem with having MMO style combat in MMO mechanics land is suddenly you're just playing a lovely single player mmo. It honestly reminded me more of borderlands than anything else from the little bit we saw, just without the bullet sponge problem.

The combat could be fine, but that Brute-looking thing was taking a lot of hits before sync-killing Ryder.

comatose posted:

That bugged me as well. "Yo, we're totally taking the series to a new location so we can do what we want!" Base full of krogans, humans, turians, etc.

That said, are these guys Kett? They looked more lanky and sharp-edged in the reveal video.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The combat could be fine, but that Brute-looking thing was taking a lot of hits before sync-killing Ryder.

That said, are these guys Kett? They looked more lanky and sharp-edged in the reveal video.

I thought that was Javik at first glance. :staredog:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

They look like something from SWTOR.

Looks pretty DA:I, but the sci fi nonsense and Mass Effect plot should keep me going to the end.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The animations look a bit weird, but the gameplay looks solid.
But we finally got a proper trailer and gameplay footage, and still no release date? Seriously?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Assuming combat still works roughly the same, they seemed to be using overload rounds against armor, so it's probably less tanky if you stick to the rock-paper-scissors system from the last games. Also, it looked like it was meant to look flashy/show that sync kills are still in considering that they kept walking closer instead of backing away from it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Going out of their way to show multiple sync kills seems like a big ol' middle finger to anybody who played ME3 multi a lot. Like, "Remember all the fun you had with those Banshees? Yeah that's still in."

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Grabs are probably ok if everyone has a good way to avoid them. ME3 Shepard seems really reluctant to move which makes sync kills pretty annoying, but hopefully in between dodging and jetpacks we'll have ample movement tools.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

VJeff posted:

Going out of their way to show multiple sync kills seems like a big ol' middle finger to anybody who played ME3 multi a lot. Like, "Remember all the fun you had with those Banshees? Yeah that's still in."
It actually, unironically filled me with a bit of bittersweet nostalgia. Like, ahhh, sync kills; here's the Mass Effect I know and love. It seriously made me wanna do multiplayer again.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So like, why is everythign colonized already? Was our ark slow as poo poo or something? Did we build a jalopy?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

VJeff posted:

Hot take: Sync kills were actually cool because it made some enemies actually dangerous instead of just bigger hitboxes with more hp. Lag problems could make them unbearable, for sure, but for single player if you got sync killed it was 100% your fault.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Phantoms would have been dangerous even without sync kills though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
combat looks hella rad!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ramadu posted:

So like, why is everythign colonized already? Was our ark slow as poo poo or something? Did we build a jalopy?

As mentioned before, the Nexus set out first to establish forward colonies while the arks were bringing mostly people and the video is really about just one such area. They would have set up some colonies in a big drat hurry to anticipate the arks behind them. It also sounds like the stress of that may have led to a failure of leadership in this area given who we just met seems to essentially be a mercenary queenpin. It looked like some of the andromeda natives were also there, so perhaps they had a hand in the set up?

Don't worry; if they follow the Inquisition model you will have plenty of uninhabitated space to biotically charge through.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
really hope they fix those dialogue animations, felt very unnatural

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder how many decisions I am going to not take more than once simply because it looked so bad the first time I did them?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im excited but not dumb enough to pre-order

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i pre-ordered me3

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurtofan posted:

really hope they fix those dialogue animations, felt very unnatural

Could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkAlRy50FR4

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

What's a sync kill? Google is being unhelpful in explaining it to someone who doesn't know what it already is and has never played multiplayer anything ever.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Helith posted:

What's a sync kill? Google is being unhelpful in explaining it to someone who doesn't know what it already is and has never played multiplayer anything ever.

Certain enemies, like the Banshee, Phantom, Brute and Atlas has close range instant-kill grab attacks

They are are particularly unpleasant in multiplayer because when you're not the host of the match, wonky netcode means what you see on screen can be lagging behind what the host sees, so those enemies can vacuum you in from what appears from your point of view to be a safe distance

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's when if you're in the right place when the enemy plays an animation, you loving die. Even if (from your perspective at least) you are already five feet away, you will be tractor-beamed back into their hands and treated to a canned murder. Banshees in multiplayer were notorious for it.

What I got from video was the "sync kills" looked more like unique death animations for losing all health when close to a particular monster rather than the monster using a special "gently caress you" attack. Like if the last of your health gets smacked off by the giant gorilla, it then picks you up and eats you rather than just play the usual death animation.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh, ok, so it's just a 'special' death if you're too close to an enemy.
I think I confused myself by jumping to a preconception that 'sync' was short for 'synchronised' and it meant that 2 players or enemies teamed up to kill you with a combo like a biotic, cryo or tech combo.
So where does the name 'sync kill' come from then?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
From the term synchronized, in that your death animation is synced with the enemy's murder animation. :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

As mentioned before, the Nexus set out first to establish forward colonies while the arks were bringing mostly people and the video is really about just one such area. They would have set up some colonies in a big drat hurry to anticipate the arks behind them. It also sounds like the stress of that may have led to a failure of leadership in this area given who we just met seems to essentially be a mercenary queenpin. It looked like some of the andromeda natives were also there, so perhaps they had a hand in the set up?

Don't worry; if they follow the Inquisition model you will have plenty of uninhabitated space to biotically charge through.

I came here to ask this. The little bit of stuff I'd seen seemed to be saying this was like unexplored space, so when I watched the new trailer and saw all the same old aliens I got very confused.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

i pre-ordered me3

i pre-ordered DA2

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Moola posted:

i pre-ordered DA2

to hope is to lie.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just preordered ME3 and I guess it's getting to my house on Sunday?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hoping mea multiplayer will be tight AF

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Really hope this is nothing like DA:I but I assume I'll be disappointed on that front, they even talked about having to go do MMO harvesting professions for all your things.

Combat looked good but the combat has been good since ME2.

Frostbite engine continues to look bad to me for some reason, I think like someone already said its a flashy engine that combines badly with Biowares simple animations and somewhat lacklustre art design.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

They look like something from SWTOR.

The cutscene looked a lot like SWTOR to me, too, which seems like a very weird direction to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Helith posted:

Oh, ok, so it's just a 'special' death if you're too close to an enemy.
I think I confused myself by jumping to a preconception that 'sync' was short for 'synchronised' and it meant that 2 players or enemies teamed up to kill you with a combo like a biotic, cryo or tech combo.
So where does the name 'sync kill' come from then?

the original warhammer dawn of war rts had special extravagant animations that played if certain units defeated other units under "synchronized" conditions that lasted for extremely long times and gave the unit huge damage resistance to compensate, that's the first time i remember the sort of thing being called a "sync kill". the name stuck as a blanket term for attacks in any game where "you are already dead, but you get to watch this precooked animation showing how dead you are".

there's no real good videos of them anymore since it's such an old game but here's one running at like 50% speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHsj5y8UL8