Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
politifact is the gimpiest way of calling someone out

we need a candidate like lbj who could call someone a loving liar in funnier and more elaborate ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Their computer told them to do that because it ran a flawed algorithm.

This is the documented truth.

at the same time though they were getting calls from their state and local level people saying poo poo was getting bad and they needed help

but the clinton campaign took all the money intended for state-level groups and used it to hire beyonce and katy parry or whatever because she just had to be seen as a celebrity president

and that need to be seen as a celebrity president is what kept her from becoming actual president

it wasn't just robbie mook (lmao that name, still, lmao) being a modern day pygmalion, it was comprehensive dysfunction at all levels of clinton's campaign staff and clinton herself

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

SpaceGoku posted:

at the same time though they were getting calls from their state and local level people saying poo poo was getting bad and they needed help

but the clinton campaign took all the money intended for state-level groups and used it to hire beyonce and katy parry or whatever because she just had to be seen as a celebrity president

and that need to be seen as a celebrity president is what kept her from becoming actual president

it wasn't just robbie mook (lmao that name, still, lmao) being a modern day pygmalion, it was comprehensive dysfunction at all levels of clinton's campaign staff and clinton herself

its having terrible political instincts and surrounding yourself with yes-people in the same situation

like look at sanders, he gave trump an ultimatum for cooperation, and has been on trump's rear end ever since for failing this deliberately impossible standard

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SpaceGoku posted:

I can't remember where I saw it, but apparently even Bill Clinton was urging them not to ignore places like Michigan and Wisconsin.

I think they just genuinely believed (which, to be fair, so did almost everyone else) that it was impossible for them to lose.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

its having terrible political instincts and surrounding yourself with yes-people in the same situation

like look at sanders, he gave trump an ultimatum for cooperation, and has been on trump's rear end ever since for failing this deliberately impossible standard

yeah, it's pretty smart and good of him to immediately start focusing on trump

if he were lesser he could have done a round of gloating but he instead went straight to laying into the GOP and trump specifically

docbeard posted:

I can't remember where I saw it, but apparently even Bill Clinton was urging them not to ignore places like Michigan and Wisconsin.

I think they just genuinely believed (which, to be fair, so did almost everyone else) that it was impossible for them to lose.

yeah this blew my mind when I read it

bill loving clinton saying "yo hey... uh, the working class is important"

and then being told "lol sit down grampy"

gently caress's sake

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nichael posted:

What do you do if you can't find meetings for your state senate or state representative district? Because unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I'm not seeing anything about Democrats in my part of Delaware having meetings like this.

I would absolutely like to get involved on a major level within the near or immediate future, but it seems like the points of entry are a little obfuscated. I called my state Democrats HQ and was told to talk to my local district guy, but he hasn't answered once after three or four calls.

Sanders didn't ruin it for Clinton and Clinton didn't ruin it for Sanders. I don't get either narrative.

PM me location details and I will look for details.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

docbeard posted:

One thing that hurt was their GOTV campaign backfired. I live in North Carolina, and I am not a democrat. In the two weeks before election day, I received more than 25 text messages from various GOTV people, as well as a mailbox full of stuff about how Trump is evil etc, as well as multiple democrats knocking on my door asking me to vote. Even though I toxxed for Trump, I had no plan to actually vote this year because I thought this election was stupid, but the text messages put me over the edge. Perhaps if instead of sending me 25 text messages, they sent 1 text message to 25 different voters in Wisconsin, the election would've happened differently.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

more than that he got in fights with idiots like mook and even hillary over their stupid belief they could just flip a bunch of business class urban republicans and call it a day

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Muppets On PCP posted:

more than that he got in fights with idiots like mook and even hillary over their stupid belief they could just flip a bunch of business class urban republicans and call it a day
i'm guessing this is where the "bill got alzheimers" smear came from

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

politifact is the gimpiest way of calling someone out

we need a candidate like lbj who could call someone a loving liar in funnier and more elaborate ways

In this Twitter world that DJT created and we all currently live in, Dems need to get on board with more snarky tweets like Bernie laid down yesterday in response to the bullshit coming out of the Right. The "working class" doesn't care to, or have time, to read a long policy-riddled response to false claims, no matter how effective wonks think it is.

Less: "follow this link to my 700 word essay on why Republicans are trying to kill Medicare"

More: "inept GOP leadership can't even agree on how to defund Medicare! SAD!"

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

WarMECH posted:

In this Twitter world that DJT created and we all currently live in, Dems need to get on board with more snarky tweets like Bernie laid down yesterday in response to the bullshit coming out of the Right. The "working class" doesn't care to, or have time, to read a long policy-riddled response to false claims, no matter how effective wonks think it is.

Less: "follow this link to my 700 word essay on why Republicans are trying to kill Medicare"

More: "inept GOP leadership can't even agree on how to defund Medicare! SAD!"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It looks like the DNC super friends are rallying against Kool Keith? The ADL is now firmly against him. I have a feeling this is not a good sign for him. I have a feeling, if the right people were standing up for Keith, that the ADL would have swept this under the rug but that's obviously not the case.

http://www.adl.org/press-center/press-releases/israel-middle-east/speech-raises-new-doubts-about-Rep-Ellisons-ability.html#.WEF_U-YrK00

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

tadashi posted:

It looks like the DNC super friends are rallying against Kool Keith? The ADL is now firmly against him. I have a feeling this is not a good sign for him. I have a feeling, if the right people were standing up for Keith, that the ADL would have swept this under the rug but that's obviously not the case.

http://www.adl.org/press-center/press-releases/israel-middle-east/speech-raises-new-doubts-about-Rep-Ellisons-ability.html#.WEF_U-YrK00

Schumer is still supporting him, for whatever that's worth.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tadashi posted:

It looks like the DNC super friends are rallying against Kool Keith? The ADL is now firmly against him. I have a feeling this is the nail in the coffin. I have a feeling, if the right people were standing up for Keith, that the ADL would have swept this under the rug but that's obviously not the case.

yes the wall street knob-slobbering is going to work a second third fourth sixth time and isn't going to lead us to a fractured states of america

otoh, it is pretty funny to see dems go "MUSLIM!!! :byodood:" for once

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

Schumer already told the ADL to gently caress off, so it doesn't carry as much weight.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zegermans posted:

Schumer already told the ADL to gently caress off, so it doesn't carry as much weight.

That calms my anxiety a little, at least.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is a really good piece on what we got wrong and what we can learn from Trump's win, particularly the part about people hating professionals, not the rich.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Barring anything cataclysmic, Keith Ellison will be DNC chair. He has no substantive opposition except some members of the outgoing President's administration, and to be frank I'm not really sure the Obama or Clinton people should be allowed any say in how things are done anymore.

Time for our inmates to take over OUR asylum. :getin:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

This is a really good piece on what we got wrong and what we can learn from Trump's win, particularly the part about people hating professionals, not the rich.

This is a really great example of class not just being about how much money you have, which is a point that I think gets lost sometimes.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

docbeard posted:

This is a really great example of class not just being about how much money you have, which is a point that I think gets lost sometimes.

Yeah, exactly. There are shades of grey in everything. Joe Blow who "hates lawyers" probably doesn't care if you make 40,000 a year doing indigent defense or an obscene amount of money doing corporate mergers. He just hates you.

full disclosure I am a lawyer

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah, exactly. There are shades of grey in everything. Joe Blow who "hates lawyers" probably doesn't care if you make 40,000 a year doing indigent defense or an obscene amount of money doing corporate mergers. He just hates you.

full disclosure I am a lawyer

full disclosure i hate you

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Baloogan posted:

full disclosure i hate you

same tbh

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Joementum posted:

Thank you for continually sharing these very good articles.

It really does drive home that class, for most people, is often tangential to wealth... and its infuriating that most liberals ignore wealth in favour if income as an easer metric to measure, forget talking about class differences beyond that. It also touches on the difficulties many liberals seem to have seeing people as people.

Its just frustrating.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

I think 1 (Jobs), 3 (policy), 4 (trade), and 5 (taxes) are easy points to fix with Democratic messaging. Their biggest problem is 2 (not eating the rich). Progressives are hell bent on making rich people pay taxes and not get away with swallowing up every single economic gain in the country but conservative white people are unfazed by every single statistic that says they could be doing a lot better if progressive taxation and programs were expanded. They need to get to work, like yesterday, on finding where the wedge issues exist between middle class conservatives and legitimate wealthy conservatives if they want to make inroads.

I don't really believe it's the dream of being rich that leads working class conservatives to vote against their interests. It's the concept that they just hate the federal government and anything the government does is bad. They assume any tax breakers that put more money in their pockets and cripple the federal government are ultimately good. They have no concept of the magnitude of wealth that Republican tax breaks give back to already wealthy people vs. the pennies that end up in the pockets of working people, relatively speaking.

tadashi has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Dec 2, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

I think 1 (Jobs), 3 (policy), 4 (trade), and 5 (taxes) are easy points to fix with Democratic messaging. Their biggest problem is 2 (not eating the rich). Progressives are hell bent on making rich people pay taxes and not get away with swallowing up every single economic gain in the country but conservative white people are unfazed by every single statistic that says they could be doing a lot better if progressive taxation and programs were expanded. They need to get to work, like yesterday, on finding where the wedge issues exist between middle class conservatives and legitimate wealthy conservatives if they want to make inroads.

2. I say can still be done. I have plenty of conservative relatives who do hate wall street. Even if a few want to be Gene Simmons. Just usethe word Financial Elite. You could say we can act like left wing Atwalters. You can't say eat the rich, you cam say"THE FINANCIAL ELITES ARE SCREWING YOU".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

you registered on the day hillary lost her shoe and tossed into a van on 9/11 then lied about everything for a day then deliberately infected a child with pneumonia on live tv.

(i also don't actually hate u at all)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Baloogan posted:

you registered on the day hillary lost her shoe and tossed into a van on 9/11 then lied about everything for a day then deliberately infected a child with pneumonia on live tv.

(i also don't actually hate u at all)

yeah that was pretty crazy right? but she got better and then she got worse again and then everything got worse

(i don't hate myself either, not most days anyway)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it's why this was such a good ad: it doesn't call Trump a billionaire, it calls him a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oxlTfqYk0

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Joementum posted:

Yeah, it's why this was such a good ad: it doesn't call Trump a billionaire, it calls him a boss.

If only the Clinton campaign had run ads like this, instead of endless ads to the effect of "Donald Trump talks about women and the disabled the way people like me tell people like you not to talk about women and the disabled."

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Yinlock posted:

wow i didnt think someone actually said that

how lame of him

Doesn't even need to be said with political dynasties. It's assumed that is what their attitude is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, Senate Democrats are laser focused on the real problem in America: Hamilton tickets.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think the republicans should block it just to piss off liberals!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Ads like that should have been put out in August or July. In fact that should have been what she brought up in the debates. "Why are you so pro America Donald if you buy CHINESE steel? How can you say to the workers you want to protect their jobs when you buy CHINESE products that destroy their jobs? Also I should be able to scalp tickets if I want.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

2. I say can still be done. I have plenty of conservative relatives who do hate wall street. Even if a few want to be Gene Simmons. Just usethe word Financial Elite. You could say we can act like left wing Atwalters. You can't say eat the rich, you cam say"THE FINANCIAL ELITES ARE SCREWING YOU".

Right. Conservatives are programmed to hate "punishing success" and "acting entitled". But surely they can be made to support a punishment for unfairness and exploitation, especially when they themselves are victims. However, this would require a politician capable of calling out the billionaire class out for what they really are, instead of trying to stand up for them and treating them as Gods among men.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Dec 2, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

HannibalBarca posted:

endless ads to the effect of "Donald Trump talks about women and the disabled the way people like me tell people like you not to talk about women and the disabled."

and yeah that was hilarious

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Baloogan posted:

i think the republicans should block it just to piss off liberals!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

well now that conservatives are boycotting the show there must be thousands of unpurchased tickets available right?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Senate Democrats are laser focused on the real problem in America: Hamilton tickets.

Hamilton notwithstanding, ticketmaster-type entities scooping up all available tickets with computers seconds after they go on sale is kind of a really annoying thing and I'm glad it's an issue they're working on.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Right. Conservatives are programmed to hate "punishing success" and "acting entitled". But surely they can be made to support a punishment for unfairness and exploitation, especially when they themselves are victims. However, this would require a politician capable of calling out the billionaire class out for what they really are, instead of trying to stand up for them and treating them as Gods among men.
what people tend to do is give up when that doesn't work on a right-wing authoritarian (who frames things in the way that they'll accept any kind of bullshit doled out by people holding the cards to the point where their children are dying), but that's why you move on to the next person

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

zegermans posted:

Hamilton notwithstanding, ticketmaster-type entities scooping up all available tickets with computers seconds after they go on sale is kind of a really annoying thing and I'm glad it's an issue they're working on.

it wont solve a thing. the real issue is ticketmaster owns stubhub and gets a cut out of every resale. thy have no incentive to stop reselling. there is only a fraction of tickets available to the public when they go on sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even the authoritarians hate the corporations' and banks' guts. They love it when Trump embarrasses them. What they want is somebody to bring them down because of immoral conduct, they sure as hell don't want somebody kissing up to the same wealthy elites and feebly asking them for additional contributions to the budget, or talking exclusively about "free stuff" while entirely omitting the culpability of the elites and the need to bring them to justice from the equation - that is an entirely ineffectual discourse. E.g., promising free college won't sway over somebody who doesn't value college education.

• Locked thread