Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Are any of the three new character worth anything? I dropped 4 tickets and managed to get 5* Snow and the other two. Wondering if it's worth doing anything with Snow. He seems like he... could potentially be less bad than the other two?

EDIT: But I have a WoL and a Cecil, who I think are both better tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Holy moly what a poo poo event. My level of tolerance is somewhere between the Halloween and ff be events.

You know, I might even consider spending money on games like this if it waset a blatant attempt to separate me from my wallet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I sitll think you guys are complaining about the wrong thing here because the way I see it it's 5 free Lapis. Most of the time you have a vortex quest to do anyway and even if you only bother with materials you're gonna be clearing the quest every day. :shrug:

I'm just hoping for a week 2 Lightning bonus on the banner, because then I can both make these runs way easier and get some extra rewards too.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

5 lapis that will forever make the number odd and will be a constant reminder of how poo poo this event is. The least they could've done is make Lightning give out a bonus.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The 200 Gears daily quest seems like a real good way to get people sick of the event before the first day is even over.

Ratmtattat posted:

5 lapis that will forever make the number odd and will be a constant reminder of how poo poo this event is. The least they could've done is make Lightning give out a bonus.

Oh man, hadn't even thought of that. Forget that quest, then.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah gently caress this. I'll just grind all my mages instead.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...it's like 30 NRG.

Oh well, event is poo poo anyways. There ain't even good rewards this time around, a bunch of craftable passives, character-exclusive poo poo, some mediocre equipment and that's about it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

PathAsc posted:

Yeah gently caress this. I'll just grind all my mages instead.

I turned on my TM Macro after I cleared BGN -> PRO and I'm not looking back

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The metal gigantaur seems to spawn more frequently than the metal gods did, but you get less event currency so it probably evens out. I am getting a decent drop rate on sacred crystals so it's not all bad.

It's all bad, stay away from this poo poo.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Did the King Metal Slimes also have nigh impregnable defenses and two swings of an OHKO strike per turn? Cause wow that cactus just hosed my poo poo up. (though it was actually a kinda fun suspense boost to an otherwise easy ELT run, swapping in Exdeath for XP instead of Tellah meant no Raise)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Took 7 pulls to get a banner character.

Half off: Penelo

3* Rakshasa
3* Kuja
3* Kain
3* Luna
4* Warrior of Light (second one)
3* Sazh

I'll be putting up Sazh as my friend unit shortly because no loving Lightning bonus whoopee.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Why would they not have Lightning for a bonus earner. FF13 is her game goddamnit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

Why would they not have Lightning for a bonus earner. FF13 is her game goddamnit.

I know, right? I have 2 Lightnings, too.

I got a Sazh on my half-price pull though, 634,188,307, please be goony.

Maybe they will add Lightning next week.

I'd like to get Snow because I like that dude, but I'm not gonna whale.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Right now I have my kickass nonwhale f2p ExDeath lv100 for a friend unit for those who want DPS, worth sticking that *5 naked Vanille on instead for the peeps who decide to grind the event instead?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Weird, Arena is completely broken for me now. I click on the icon for it, and it always crashes the app. Both on phone and Memu. Guess I'm not going to worry about that now.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

MrLonghair posted:

Because people can have and use lightning to get bonuses without wasting money on pulls

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
At least snow is a 4 star base so there's slightly better odds of snagging him of dailies but drat this looks to be the worst event I've seen since I've started playing. Haven't seen a cactar yet after a good 10 runs through Elt and at only a 100 gears a pop trying to even get the 10 lousy mats I need for my butz will take a drat age.

If this is the standard going forward it's pretty ridiculous. I thought we hit bottom with the last lovely grind forever karma event but drat at least there you could pull 250 or so a shot. This is just straight up awful. Half the time I don't even pull a full 100 a round to trade for cactar. It would be nice if people just wouldn't drop money when gumi puts out these trash events but something tells me that would never ever happen.

And on top of the poo poo banner the rules for the arena this week are pretty drat absurd too. No barrage or black magic? Every fight takes 10 minutes now to slowly hack away at healers only to have a couple Curaja wipe out all progress on both sides. Anyone know if exdeath can still cast wicked light in the arena? Mines at like lvl 96 and I'm wondering if it's worth maxing him out so I can at least use that. He can still use his earth attack but it can't be double casted because of course not

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding mildly less bullshit content, I'm still having trouble with ELT Greg v.2. Which 4* should I prioritize leveling?

Agrias (replacing Ingus)
Refias (replacing Lenna)
Exdeath (replacing Arc)

My other two are Cecil and CoD.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

If this is your first freemium game, the business model is predicated on creating what are called "pain points" to force you to spend money. You cruise, get a ton of premium currency, people level fast, awakening is easy, etc and then you start hitting walls, whether it be difficult enemies, massive amounts of time needed to progress characters, etc. Then they sell you currency to remove the pain points temporarily until you hit the next wall.

You might quit but they don't care because it just means you aren't spending money. Plenty of people are broken and will spend hundreds.

This is the hell that we, as consumers, have asked for with our dollars. They make these games because they generate income, not because they want the player to feel good or enjoy themselves. They are not worried about losing players because they are making massive profits off those that stay. TLDR if you can't enjoy a stupid grindy game being stupid and grindy, you are not understanding the basic premise of the game you are playing

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Finally beat elite Gilgamesh after grinding Cecil up to 100. Survived with Lightning at 40 hp and just enough mp for one hail mary barrage.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Winged Saint is a very good fist weapon, very tanky. +56 ATK, +44 DEF.

The Morale Talisman is a good accessory! It gives +10 ATK, and casts Auto-Bravery in battle, which means an additional +20% ATK. Better than a Hero's Ring, slightly easier to get a hold of. I would at least try for this one and maybe tickets.

Attacker is a Hero's Ring materia, and Defender is the same but for SPR and DEF.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

attacker and defender would be cooler if they worked on non ffxiii characters :v:

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

big cummers ONLY posted:

If this is your first freemium game, the business model is predicated on creating what are called "pain points" to force you to spend money. You cruise, get a ton of premium currency, people level fast, awakening is easy, etc and then you start hitting walls, whether it be difficult enemies, massive amounts of time needed to progress characters, etc. Then they sell you currency to remove the pain points temporarily until you hit the next wall.

You might quit but they don't care because it just means you aren't spending money. Plenty of people are broken and will spend hundreds.

This is the hell that we, as consumers, have asked for with our dollars. They make these games because they generate income, not because they want the player to feel good or enjoy themselves. They are not worried about losing players because they are making massive profits off those that stay. TLDR if you can't enjoy a stupid grindy game being stupid and grindy, you are not understanding the basic premise of the game you are playing

That's a good point and yeah I get the logic behind it, but at least for me I drop money when the event is good like with the Halloween one. I spent more on that event then the rest of the garbage ones combined. That must not be the case across the board though because I'm sure they have who spends what when broken down six ways from Sunday and it must be more profitable to have lovely events more often otherwise we wouldn't see them. But you're right when all is said and done that's the nature of the beast and expecting something to magically change around is probably pretty dumb. Welp back to grinding forever to get these dumb cactars.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Does the Bravery from auto-brave stack with Cheer, or other skills like it?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

attacker and defender would be cooler if they worked on non ffxiii characters :v:

They seem to work just fine on Lightning.

:getin:

LizardBeam posted:

Does the Bravery from auto-brave stack with Cheer, or other skills like it?

Probably not, but it starts you off in a consistently better state.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Pokemaster #421 posted:

That's a good point and yeah I get the logic behind it, but at least for me I drop money when the event is good like with the Halloween one. I spent more on that event then the rest of the garbage ones combined. That must not be the case across the board though because I'm sure they have who spends what when broken down six ways from Sunday and it must be more profitable to have lovely events more often otherwise we wouldn't see them. But you're right when all is said and done that's the nature of the beast and expecting something to magically change around is probably pretty dumb. Welp back to grinding forever to get these dumb cactars.

I hope I didn't come off preachy or condescending but you pretty much get it. I am a broken human and am able to enjoy this kind of game without dropping money, but another gashapon game had me in it's claws a couple years ago before I knew the drill and I spent a lot of money stupidly. So now I sing the gospel of F2P whenever I join a game like this, just hoping someone reads it and doesn't make my same mistakes. End of sermon, time to grind.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Positive takeaways from this XIII event:

- Record Keeper is a really fairly run F2P gacha game;
- It's a good time to go clear out story dungeons and hit the XP or Awakening Vortices
- XIII maintains it's rightful place as a subpar FF game :v:

Also boy howdy was I pleased to get my dream arena team of 2x maxed CoDs, 2x lvl 80+ ExDeath, and maxed Arc finally set up yesterday. Just in time for no dualcast black magics and no barrages. :ohdear:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This event is bad. No one's arguing that, but it's nowhere near Gravity Rod levels of bad. I mean, seriously guys. We've seen worse.

Also, please don't switch your friend units to Sazh. He's dropping like candy. If anything, what people need is your strongest unit to help them clear the event with one or two damage characters and a team full of their own Sazh's.

That said, my Lightning is now at 719 ATK and will be improving once I get these Snow belts. Feel free to destroy poo poo with her. (share your good units, dudes)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't get through the ELT version of this event without a good friend unit. So I'm going to like, get no gears at all.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Fenrir posted:

This event is bad. No one's arguing that, but it's nowhere near Gravity Rod levels of bad. I mean, seriously guys. We've seen worse.

Considering the backlash that occurred during those lesser events, the fact that this one was released with poor drop rates and higher-than-JP King Mog prices is a bad portent of things to come.

I almost wish I hadn't been fortunate with my mid-summer re-rolls and daily pulls, but as it is I have a solid team as a pure F2P so may as well keep playing, but this event certainly makes it hard to care about BE.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that when the event is so bad that the gigantaurs arent worth the energy to farm theres really no defending the event

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Morale Talisman is a good accessory! It gives +10 ATK, and casts Auto-Bravery in battle, which means an additional +20% ATK. Better than a Hero's Ring, slightly easier to get a hold of. I would at least try for this one and maybe tickets.

Morale Talisman is a garbage accessory. You should be casting Cheer/Embolden with your healer anyway turn one, which overwrites Brave. Thus, the Morale Talisman is a glorified Hyper Wrist, that's harder to make than a Hyper Wrist. The only niche case for Morale Talisman is in the Arena when stat buffs are banned, but given that this event is incredibly stingy with event currency, it's really drat hard to justify spending the energy on a Morale Talisman.

Morale Talisman requires 10 Entrancing Tails and 10 Menacing Wings. At 80 apiece, that means you need 800 gears for the tails, 800 for the wings, for a total of 1600 gears. ELT stage gives ~100 gears. If you're lucky enough to have two Snows or a Snow/Vanille, that's ~250 gears. So you're looking at anywhere from 7 to 16 runs for the necessary gears.

The ELT stage costs 13 NRG. That means you are spending 91 to 208 energy for an accessory that's good for one character for one week, and probably not that often, as I assume they've got a lot of arena conditions, so maybe every few months at best?

Yeah, it's not worth it. It's garbage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Morale Talisman is a garbage accessory. You should be casting Cheer/Embolden with your healer anyway turn one, which overwrites Brave. Thus, the Morale Talisman is a glorified Hyper Wrist, that's harder to make than a Hyper Wrist. The only niche case for Morale Talisman is in the Arena when stat buffs are banned, but given that this event is incredibly stingy with event currency, it's really drat hard to justify spending the energy on a Morale Talisman.

Morale Talisman requires 10 Entrancing Tails and 10 Menacing Wings. At 80 apiece, that means you need 800 gears for the tails, 800 for the wings, for a total of 1600 gears. ELT stage gives ~100 gears. If you're lucky enough to have two Snows or a Snow/Vanille, that's ~250 gears. So you're looking at anywhere from 7 to 16 runs for the necessary gears.

The ELT stage costs 13 NRG. That means you are spending 91 to 208 energy for an accessory that's good for one character for one week, and probably not that often, as I assume they've got a lot of arena conditions, so maybe every few months at best?

Yeah, it's not worth it. It's garbage.

FInal Fantasy Brave Exvius Global: Yeah, it's not worth it. It's garbage.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I can't get through the ELT version of this event without a good friend unit. So I'm going to like, get no gears at all.

Same. How much does PRO give again?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

Basically this. It's a pretty malicious system that uses the 'free to play' excuse to psychologically manipulate players into giving them money. You can bet the company doesn't care how much it tarnishes its or the Final Fantasy name, as long as it makes massive profits, and you should feel bad about complaining, because you're getting to play it 'for free'.

My advice? Forget getting everything. The Halloween event was generous to get players conditioned to the idea of being able to do that. Not going to happen again, unless you're willing to whale. Guaranteed, lightning not having a bonus and the new daily (which I reckon will be here every day for the event's duration), are both moves to force players to not ignore the event, and spend on obsolete units.

Get what's minimally worthwhile, and then just focus on doing other things like clearing old stages for lapis. Eventually, they'll go back to being generous again, in order to lull people into thinking they've learned from their "mistakes", and there'll be another honeymoon period before the next crap event. Rinse and repeat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
1/2 pull was a russel, did a ticket pull and got a Gafgarion so that's nice for maybe getting a bracer some day in the distant future.

I want to get the tickets and elixirs/magic key mats from this event but without bonus characters that is a stupid amount of grinding even though ELT isn't hard at all. Getting 100 or so gears per run is absurd as hell and I hope these events bite gumi in the rear end on global.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Ah, this week in Arena. No black magic. gently caress you too Gumi.

At least Exdeath's wicked light is an ability. Not being able to double cast it is rough though. No barrage from CoDs and the like but it just means units like Lightning and Luneth are even more likely to spam aoe skills which aren't blocked. Legit shocked it's not FF13 for the realm bonus though.

Trilin posted:

My first 5* base character, and I can finally stop bitching about not having one now.
Still don't have a boosted character though. :shrug:

I have a single 5* base unit, Maxwell. :smith:

Chen Kenichi posted:

five NRG, not even lapis! Then again you need it to complete for 50 lapis so still loving poo poo :(

It was 5 lapis for me.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

How to you fill the Esper bar?
There is a bunch of Lapis I'm trying to collect but I can't figure out how to summon Esper.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shark Tower posted:

Basically this. It's a pretty malicious system that uses the 'free to play' excuse to psychologically manipulate players into giving them money. You can bet the company doesn't care how much it tarnishes its or the Final Fantasy name, as long as it makes massive profits, and you should feel bad about complaining, because you're getting to play it 'for free'.

At the same time, you have to realize something. The mogcake and candy corn events handed out bonus event currency with rare summons/in cash bundles, respectively. This event packs the event currency into limited time (and limited quantity) lapis bundles that, over the course of the event, very likely won't even hand out enough to get a single "chaser" item.

They're putting the screws even to the whales on this one, and something tells me that they're gonna get burned again. FFBE has always been absurdly swingy in its treatment of the player, and it honestly seems like we just came out of a good couple of months and have fallen back into "Gumi is king shitlord" season again. Thankfully, these spells only last a month or two lest they risk pushing away even their income generators.

Fisting Tent posted:

How to you fill the Esper bar?
There is a bunch of Lapis I'm trying to collect but I can't figure out how to summon Esper.

The green summon crystals drop alongside red limit burst crystals when you beat up enemies. Barring that, Garnet and Rydia have limit bursts that fill up the summon gauge partially.

You also need an esper equipped on at least one character to fill the esper bar, but I figure that went without saying.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2016

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

The green summon crystals drop alongside red limit burst crystals when you beat up enemies. Barring that, Garnet and Rydia have limit bursts that fill up the summon gauge partially.

You also need an esper equipped on at least one character to fill the esper bar, but I figure that went without saying.

Just did an experiment and the green seem to drop only when scoring an overkill. I may be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fisting Tent posted:

Just did an experiment and the green seem to drop only when scoring an overkill. I may be wrong.

It's just bad RNG. They're a lot rarer than the red, but they drop normally too. Past that, you can focus all your attacks on one enemy at a time even after it's "dead" by selecting them before you launch your attacks. Units with lots of hits in their attack are best, which is actually a point in favor of Lightning's ridiculously overelaborate animation.

• Locked thread