Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah they played at Wembley

arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Big Daddy packed them into the Cavern Club every night

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Yes, the 12000 seat arena what did you think I meant.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

exploded mummy posted:

Yes, the 12000 seat arena what did you think I meant.

thats one show and they mostly played 2000-3000 capacity venues. they weren't running football stadiums like Dave expects Joint Promotions should have been doing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spermgod posted:

thats one show and they mostly played 2000-3000 capacity venues. they weren't running football stadiums like Dave expects Joint Promotions should have been doing.

The majority of Beatlemania UK tours were done in the late fall/winter/early spring months and they toured the world when the weather was good for outdoor concerts in the UK.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

exploded mummy posted:

The majority of Beatlemania UK tours were done in the late fall/winter/early spring months and they toured the world when the weather was good for outdoor concerts in the UK.

are you saying The Beatles would have struggled to draw outdoors in winter :confused:

edit: i mean, i'm probably less informed that you on this subject, but it seems to me like maybe there was some other factor involved in why they didn't run such buildings.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 1, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/804397759210000386

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Do a flip, Dave

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Even Dave hadn't talked it up. Low effort all around.
Unironically this.

e: Holy poo poo AJ on the ballot again. Dave has no standards.

He had to delay it a couple of weeks when his mom went into the hospital. Kind of hard to peak when you've got real poo poo to deal with.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Lol Dave obliviously calling Billy a "somewhat celebrity" to his face made me laugh

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

triplexpac posted:

Lol Dave obliviously calling Billy a "somewhat celebrity" to his face made me laugh
He wasn't lying.. Billy isn't a Duane Johnson, or a David Hasslehoff. He's more of a musical Mickey Roarke

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The talk on the show and in the Observer about the WWE/World of Sport stuff is really intriguing. Is the contract stuff WWE's doing even legal? It probably is, but it seems like paying contractors just so they don't work for the competition is ethically sketchier than even no-competes.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
It's partially awful. There's no guarantee for the wrestlers to get picked up by the WWE but are being told to not work for certain promotions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is the TIJ episode with Disco Inferno good?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

The talk on the show and in the Observer about the WWE/World of Sport stuff is really intriguing. Is the contract stuff WWE's doing even legal? It probably is, but it seems like paying contractors just so they don't work for the competition is ethically sketchier than even no-competes.

it really depends on if the money's decent. By my math, it'd need to be around $3-4000USD weekly to make up for the booking, merchandising and licensing shortfalls.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

coconono posted:

it really depends on if the money's decent. By my math, it'd need to be around $3-4000USD weekly to make up for the booking, merchandising and licensing shortfalls.
holy poo poo UK indie wrestlers are fuckin loaded

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

coconono posted:

give me a call wwe, i'd be happy to not work indie dates

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Basic Chunnel posted:

holy poo poo UK indie wrestlers are fuckin loaded

a lot of that money is lost in cost. Travel, medical, etc.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

coconono posted:

I'm not sure any of the native UK talent are making 3000 USD/2500 GBP a week. Most of them have regular jobs which I doubt they would if they were on 100k a year from wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IcePhoenix posted:

Is the TIJ episode with Disco Inferno good?

As somebody who tried to listen to a Disco Inferno podcast once and had to stop 5 minutes in because it was so unbearable.... it was surprisingly good! Disco and Jericho get on really well together and it's basically two guys who knew each other back in the day (during a really historic time in pro-wrestling to boot) reminiscing about some of the ridiculous poo poo they've seen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't listened to it yet and am not sure if it's even about wrestling but Renee Young has a new podcast out called Regular Girls
http://pca.st/itx3

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm not sure any of the native UK talent are making 3000 USD/2500 GBP a week. Most of them have regular jobs which I doubt they would if they were on 100k a year from wrestling

Yeah, the top level guys, like your ZSJs or your Scurlls might make close to that, but a minimum wage job in the UK would net you something like 10% of that, and most of the guys doing 'shoot' jobs and wrestling on weekends and evenings probably aren't making massive money at their day job.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

no I know what those people are up to for their "day jobs"

source: I've seen 2 1/3 seasons of Peaky Blinders

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the top level guys, like your ZSJs or your Scurlls might make close to that, but a minimum wage job in the UK would net you something like 10% of that, and most of the guys doing 'shoot' jobs and wrestling on weekends and evenings probably aren't making massive money at their day job.

Hell even if they're making close to 100k a year on wrestling, they're probably taking home more like 60. It isn't so bad as it is in the US where you have to pay your own health insurance, which will knock off a grand a month if you have any kids or live in particular states, but just talking income tax, travel costs, it's not gonna be good.

I'm guessing a lot of them get paid in cash though, so they can probably safely not report it, and not have to worry about a few thousand extra in tax, but...yeah

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm betting most of them don't make enough wrestling to even qualify to pay income tax on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Since Dave said that Vince 'very recently' decided that he did want hot indies on the WWE Network...what do you guys think that means? Evolve? RevPro? NJPW? It doesn't really make sense to team up with an up-and-coming american based promotion since they could potentially step all over WWE's feet but supporting international companies where they could use them like a feeder system/cross-promotional thing when they do a foreign tours seems like a smart idea.

- edit Also lol at granny going 'well, i don't think i want to live to be 100 anyway. some days i feel like giving up HA HA i talk myself out of the though- anyways i have a contest here...' And Bryan gets so much joy out of it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 3, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

WWE has no problem stepping over its own feet - they're the company that tried to set up WWECW as competition with itself, failed, and is now doing the same thing with NXT - why not grow beyond that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Call Me Charlie posted:

- edit Also lol at granny going 'well, i don't think i want to live to be 100 anyway. some days i feel like giving up HA HA i talk myself out of the though- anyways i have a contest here...' And Bryan gets so much joy out of it.

Granny vs Existentialist Dread was not a feud I ever expected to hear, and I certainly didn't expect it to be a squash!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I popped when I heard Karl Anderson read Oatgan's email and got pissed at his fake name

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Long derail about the time out fight.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://www.sheetsandwich.com/official-2016-sheetys-awards-polling-station/
Here are the categories and voting for this year's Sheety Pro Wrestling Journalism awards

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

achillesforever6 posted:

Here are the categories and voting for this year's Sheety Pro Wrestling Journalism awards

what the fresh hell is this

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

One of the many online dipshits who think they're the ombudsman for Wrestling Journalism

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

omg

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Say what you want about the Observer Awards or whatever, but at least you can write-in your candidates. How am I supposed to hijack the voting vote for the Pisscast by abstaining every question?

No offense to Mr. Bixenspan, of course.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
is this how gamergate started

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is there anyone on earth that's made it all the way to the end of a Sheet Sandwich podcast or article

e: here is some of the hard-hitting coverage from our man Les Moore, an article about a typo
http://www.sheetsandwich.com/latest-knowns-unknowns-regarding-tna-meeting/

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 5, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I voted for Rovert's twitter account

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is that a dirt sheet about dirt sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

quote:

Les Moore is a veteran ex-journalist, columnist and content marketing strategist. With more than 15 years spent subscribing to pay wrestling newsletters or websites, and at one time boasting a subscription to every reputable pay wrestling news service available, from Wrestling Observer, Pro Wrestling Torch, plus 1Wrestling.com and, later, PWInsider, Moore provides a unique perspective on how wrestling writers apply their trade.

This is the guy who runs sheet sandwich.

He also wrote an article on Dave being ripped at BOLA.

• Locked thread