Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NotWearingPants posted:

"Hot hand" is bullshit. If the Dallas Cowboys thought Tony Romo was better than Dak Prescott he would be starting.

You give the organization way too much credit, then. Pretty much the way everyone in the metroplex has explained the situation is "let Dak play until he stops winning."

I like Dak a lot, and he cemented himself as the future of this team a lot earlier than I expected. But I still think the Cowboys would have been undefeated with Romo at the helm. Ultimately I won't really be proven right about any of this until we see Tony in a Broncos jersey, so gently caress me either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Romo is a better QB but at this age with his injury history it makes perfect sense to keep him out

also, fans won't admit it, but Romo was way less safe with the football and Dak takes care of it. Romo probably would have had at least one bad game so far where some bad picks cost them a game.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Even if you want to subscribe to "hot hand" bullshit, if Dak's hand is currently hotter than Romo's, then it is only logical to assume that hand is winning you more games.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's a big difference between a hypothetical world where Romo didn't get hurt and started all 12 games so far vs a world where he just returned a few weeks ago after a potentially season or career ending injury. Should Romo be starting now? Absolutely not. If he had never got hurt, its very possible that they're 12-0 right now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Febreeze posted:

also, fans won't admit it, but Romo was way less safe with the football and Dak takes care of it. Romo probably would have had at least one bad game so far where some bad picks cost them a game.

Fumbles or INTs, take your pick.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a big difference between a hypothetical world where Romo didn't get hurt and started all 12 games so far vs a world where he just returned a few weeks ago after a potentially season or career ending injury. Should Romo be starting now? Absolutely not. If he had never got hurt, its very possible that they're 12-0 right now.

Yeah, you won't see any argument from me on this front. Romo should take the field in the regular season only to knock off a bit of rust before entering the post season (garbage time, baby), but his position as starter was gone as early as week 6 or 7.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NotWearingPants posted:

So, Dak Prescott is the best quarterback in the history of Dallas Cowboys.

Obviously.

Put Dak in the box and he'll get you there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Y'all are out of your loving minds. Romo is a better passer than Dak, but the decision is only partly about "hot hand." The other piece you're willfully ignoring is that Dak is the future starter of the team, and so benefits tremendously from additional reps this season. On the flip side, Romo is only valuable as a trade commodity next year if he's healthy, and so starting him holds no tangible benefit now that the team has found his replacement.

Romo's stats would be better than Dak's right now, but not be enough to matter because no one's would. So what you're left with is a business decision.

Febreeze posted:

Romo is a better QB but at this age with his injury history it makes perfect sense to keep him out

Romo had a pretty low INT total in 2014 when he was playing behind the line. Dak has been lucky with regard to his INTs this season. He's definitely fumbled more times though, I believe

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 2, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

Reps matter. By benching dak you lose out on those game time reps and you risk him getting out of sync with the offense.

Romo is not the better option and :lol: at anyone who thinks he is.

There are four games left. There would be more than enough reps for Romo to get ready for the playoffs. If the Cowboys thought Romo was the better quarterback, they could start him the final four games and he'd be more than ready to go for a Super Bowl run.

Or, are we now saying that Romo is a better quarterback, but he's an injury risk, and even though they have Dak as a backup ready to go, the Cowboys would rather play their 2nd best quarterback than risk him being a little rusty in the event that their best quarteback gets hurt despite the fact that he's already played 12 games?

Yeah, I think I am going to apply Occam's razor instead and say that the Cowboys think Dak Prescott is a better quarterback than Tony Romo.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Y'all are out of your loving minds. Romo is a better passer than Dak, but the decision is only partly about "hot hand." The other piece you're willfully ignoring is that Dak is the future starter of the team, and so benefits tremendously from additional reps this season. On the flip side, Romo is only valuable as a trade commodity next year if he's healthy, and so starting him holds no tangible benefit now that the team has found his replacement.

So, a team has only won two playoff games in the last 20 years and currently finds itself at 11-1 is not going to start their best QB because they want to develop a guy for the future?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I really appreciate how many NFC East rivals are arguing for the infallibility of the Cowboys front office.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Chichevache posted:

I really appreciate how many NFC East rivals are arguing for the infallibility of the Cowboys front office.

They are just upset that the Cowboys have the two best QBs in the division.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

So, a team has only won two playoff games in the last 20 years and currently finds itself at 11-1 is not going to start their best QB because they want to develop a guy for the future?

Yeah because in this case, the guy they are developing is also the guy who got them to 11-1.This is the same story as Maddox-Roethlisberger or Bledsoe-Brady. Even if the older guy gives you a better chance to win now, it's not stupid to prioritize long-term success. The Patriots got a first-round pick out of the Bills for Bledsoe, who then had one of the best seasons of his career (e.g. he wasn't "done"). The Cowboys would want to do the same thing. The Patriots had no idea that Brady was going to be a future Hall-of-Famer, just that he might be the QB of the future and Bledsoe was at best the QB of the next 2-3 years.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

If romo had never gotten hurt they would be undefeated.

What do you think the Texans record would be with Romo....

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
In an alternate dimension people realize Romo was never a very good QB and the issue of having a good rookie QB starting over him would be a non-issue

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I am just having some fun with the emphatic claims that Tony Romo is the best QB in the history of the Cowboys from earlier in the thread.

You don't sit your best ever QB in the history of the franchise for a rookie when you are about to go on a playoff run.

Doltos posted:

In an alternate dimension people realize Romo was never a very good QB and the issue of having a good rookie QB starting over him would be a non-issue

This is the dimension I'm living in.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Who do you think will get in the Hall of Fame first, Eli Manning or Tony Romo?

trick question: Romo isn't getting into the Hall of Fame with a 2-4 playoff record

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What's hosed up is that the Cowboys have somehow turned into the Eagles closest ally for the next few weeks when all goes right..

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

What's hosed up is that the Cowboys have somehow turned into the Eagles closest ally for the next few weeks when all goes right..

mathematical elimination fever...catch it!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:smug:Hug the Cowboys, iggles.:smug:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If Nelson Agholor finishes very strongly he has a good chance of passing Mark Bavaro on the Eagles all-time receiving list in only two years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NotWearingPants posted:

I am just having some fun with the emphatic claims that Tony Romo is the best QB in the history of the Cowboys from earlier in the thread.

You don't sit your best ever QB in the history of the franchise for a rookie when you are about to go on a playoff run.

This is the dimension I'm living in.

Tony Romo is the best QB the cowboys have ever had. He also is just recovering from back surgery and hasn't played football in months. It's a no brainer to not put him in the game.

Just because they're in a unique situation where it makes sense to play Prescott right now does in now diminish the skill and talent of Romo of yesteryear.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NotWearingPants posted:

If Nelson Agholor finishes very strongly he has a good chance of passing Mark Bavaro on the Eagles all-time receiving list in only two years.

This made me curious. It looks like Agholor will have to improve some, but catching Fredex before his rookie contract is up is still in the game.

e: Huh, interesting. The Eagles might give the Chiefs a run for their money as far as futility in career receiving leaders goes. KC. Philly.

I had no clue. Both even have a TE in the top 2.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 2, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Drew Bledsoe was by far the greatest QB in the history of the Patriots franchise until Tom Brady

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NotWearingPants posted:

Who do you think will get in the Hall of Fame first, Eli Manning or Tony Romo?

trick question: Romo isn't getting into the Hall of Fame with a 2-4 playoff record

Dan Marino got in at 8-10

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

I'm Tony Robo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I can't wait for the sequel, Rogue 1 & Done in the Playoffs.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Chichevache posted:

I can't wait for the sequel, Rogue 1 & Done in the Playoffs.

The Andy Dalton thread is that way ↓

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zoran posted:

The Andy Dalton thread is that way ↓

Joke is only relevant when they make the playoffs, which they're not doing this coming January

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

I'm Tony Robo

I too imagine that Dak is s little bitch.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Hey guys the Eagles are currently losing 26 to nothing to the 3-7-1 Bengals but i just want you ro remember they are a better team than the Cowboys and they will win out and reach the playoffs

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Febreeze posted:

Hey guys the Eagles are currently losing 26 to nothing to the 3-7-1 Bengals but i just want you ro remember they are a better team than the Cowboys and they will win out and reach the playoffs

Sickening posted:

Does anybody still believe that the eagles are a better team than the cowboys?

Chichevache posted:

The best defense they've faced this year is.... the fraud rear end Packers? They're going to be shredded as soon as that offense faces a little adversity.

Post your favorite NFC East thread quotes!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because the referees hate the Eagles and have rigged the game against them. Just like they have all season long of course.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sickening posted:

My favorite quotes are all the Romo apologists scrambling to claim that he is somehow better than Dak despite being healthy and getting benched for him. Imagine I quoted all those posts, because I'm going to go wash some dishes while Philly loses :cool:.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

a new study bible! posted:

My favorite quotes are all the Romo apologists scrambling to claim that he is somehow better than Dak despite being healthy and getting benched for him. Imagine I quoted all those posts, because I'm going to go wash some dishes while Philly loses :cool:.

Noted. I would rather do anything than watch this terrible game.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sickening posted:

Noted. I would rather do anything than watch this terrible game.

Thank you. Enjoy your Superbowl!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sickening posted:

Yeah, The Cowboys offense looked so good against the Vikings. :jerkbag:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Mariota against vikings 86.5 rating

Newton against vikings 47.6 rating

Manning against vikings 63.3 rating

Wentz against vikings 52.4 rating

Rodgers against vikings 70.7 rating

Stafford against vikings 87.6 rating

Cousins against vikings 110.9 rating

Palmer against vikings 63.3 rating

Stafford against vikings again 82.5 rating

Dak against vikings 108.3 rating

----

NFC East supremacy (not counting giants and eagles)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chichevache posted:

Yeah it did, actually. loving pwnage, as me and my friends might say in my neighborhood.:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah it did, actually. loving pwnage, as me and my friends might say in my neighborhood.:pwn:

Is your neighborhood a Call of Duty lobby?

• Locked thread