Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fisting Tent posted:

Just did an experiment and the green seem to drop only when scoring an overkill. I may be wrong.

KataraniSword posted:

It's just bad RNG. They're a lot rarer than the red, but they drop normally too. Past that, you can focus all your attacks on one enemy at a time even after it's "dead" by selecting them before you launch your attacks. Units with lots of hits in their attack are best, which is actually a point in favor of Lightning's ridiculously overelaborate animation.

Esper orbs are random but stingy. The last event had a challenge where you had to summon a certain esper vs a boss. People would "reset" a turn (close the app before their turn ended to make the app bring them back to the start of their turn) if they didn't get enough of the green esper orbs so they could get the summon off.

You can focus fire down an enemy by tapping them on the screen. It's no guarantee that you'll get enough to actually use an esper though. You may need to bring weaker characters, tell stronger characters to just defend, and have a healer cast healing magic on an enemy to keep them alive long enough to get a summon off. If you do have Rydia or Garnet though bring them, it's much easier to get their limit gauge full than the esper gauge.

e: added quote for page snype (and KataraniSword's answer too which is more concise version of mine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It's just bad RNG. They're a lot rarer than the red, but they drop normally too. Past that, you can focus all your attacks on one enemy at a time even after it's "dead" by selecting them before you launch your attacks. Units with lots of hits in their attack are best, which is actually a point in favor of Lightning's ridiculously overelaborate animation.

I see, the more hits the more chances one will drop. It so happens that when you make a lot of hits against one enemy you are more likely to score an overkill.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Has anyone had luck encountering the metal cactars so far? I've now been through about 15 rounds on Elt, since I started at 2 am because I apparently don't know how to sleep, and I've yet to come across one. Seems like it's probably close to the same rate as the metal gods from the last time around but with a massively decreased mat drop. If you only get 500 a tar and only 1 shows up every 25 rounds or so I can't see them having much of an impact on mat collection. It seemed like last time around the encounter rate for metal gods jumped way up on the last day or so of the event, wonder if it will be the same deal here

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
If any of you guys are using CoD for the event, the Rod of Lightning will slightly outdamage Thorned Mace for lightning-weak enemies. If you're running a DW CoD, definitely use the Rod in one of your hands.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Morale Talisman is a garbage accessory. You should be casting Cheer/Embolden with your healer anyway turn one, which overwrites Brave. Thus, the Morale Talisman is a glorified Hyper Wrist, that's harder to make than a Hyper Wrist. The only niche case for Morale Talisman is in the Arena when stat buffs are banned, but given that this event is incredibly stingy with event currency, it's really drat hard to justify spending the energy on a Morale Talisman.

Morale Talisman requires 10 Entrancing Tails and 10 Menacing Wings. At 80 apiece, that means you need 800 gears for the tails, 800 for the wings, for a total of 1600 gears. ELT stage gives ~100 gears. If you're lucky enough to have two Snows or a Snow/Vanille, that's ~250 gears. So you're looking at anywhere from 7 to 16 runs for the necessary gears.

The ELT stage costs 13 NRG. That means you are spending 91 to 208 energy for an accessory that's good for one character for one week, and probably not that often, as I assume they've got a lot of arena conditions, so maybe every few months at best?

Yeah, it's not worth it. It's garbage.

That's, like, just your opinion, man.

Sometimes I don't even take a healer and just spam attacks and I'm doing okay.

Also, some people (not me) STILL don't have "proper" team makeups.

Shark Tower posted:

Basically this. It's a pretty malicious system that uses the 'free to play' excuse to psychologically manipulate players into giving them money. You can bet the company doesn't care how much it tarnishes its or the Final Fantasy name, as long as it makes massive profits, and you should feel bad about complaining, because you're getting to play it 'for free'.

My advice? Forget getting everything. The Halloween event was generous to get players conditioned to the idea of being able to do that. Not going to happen again, unless you're willing to whale. Guaranteed, lightning not having a bonus and the new daily (which I reckon will be here every day for the event's duration), are both moves to force players to not ignore the event, and spend on obsolete units.

Get what's minimally worthwhile, and then just focus on doing other things like clearing old stages for lapis. Eventually, they'll go back to being generous again, in order to lull people into thinking they've learned from their "mistakes", and there'll be another honeymoon period before the next crap event. Rinse and repeat.

This is accurate, and a good reason to be moderately happy about getting a Morale Pendant. :)

Fisting Tent posted:

How to you fill the Esper bar?
There is a bunch of Lapis I'm trying to collect but I can't figure out how to summon Esper.

Same way you fill the limit break bars, have everyone attack the same guy, one at a time. You should have a full bar around battle 3 or so.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Decided to pull for a FFXIII unit for farming purposes before I realized how terrible the material drop rate was set. Oh well. Picked up my first Miyuki and third Garland before getting Sazh on the third summon ticket. Stopped there.

Luckily with a team of Cecil, Agrias, Exdeath and Tellah, I can take my own Sazh and a friend Sazh (who both die promptly in the first round) and still make it through ELT. But even with a +100% cog bonus, this event isn't worth it. Look's like I'm taking my advice from the BF event, collecting only the cheaper tickets and star quartz for now, and then only when a friend bonus unit is up. Otherwise, TM agricultural practices look appealing.

Also I definitely would have liked my other 3 Exdeath units up to level for this week's arena, chaining Earth Shaker would be nice. At least Kefka and CoD can focus fire units with Hyperdrive and Call of the Void.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, should I keep Sazh as my shared leader, or go back to Lightning?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Sazh is terrible. People who can farm the event with their own base 5s could carry him, but he's awful enough to be a liability to anyone else.

Plus, as stated earlier, he only gives a +50% drop boost.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

If you've got a whale Lightning, keep that for the goons who struggle with ELT. If it's subpar, then go for Sazh. I'd prefer your Sazh, but I came handle elite with no problems.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Yeah...unless Lightning actually gets a bonus next week, I think I'll just skip this event. Did 4 pulls this morning and didn't get a single FF13 unit, plus I still have to level CoD, Exdeath and Bartz from the last couple banners.

Cleared out some week+ inactives and bought some more friend slots, in case anyone needs a 456 Elza or 415 Lightning buddy. I've currently got Elza up but I could switch back to Lightning if she gets a bonus to help out with the event.

781 070 227

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a whale Lightning, but she's pretty good:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please bring back black magic in Arena. As a non-Lightning or Luneth haver I'd rather lose in 2 rounds than win in 6-7.

At least 12 pulls last banner: No Exdeath. First pull this banner: Exdeath. :iiam:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

KDdidit posted:

Please bring back black magic in Arena. As a non-Lightning or Luneth haver I'd rather lose in 2 rounds than win in 6-7.

At least 12 pulls last banner: No Exdeath. First pull this banner: Exdeath. :iiam:

You could always do an Edgar glass cannon setup. I don't think Chainsaw falls under the ban rules right?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

KDdidit posted:

Otherwise known as doing a Fenrir.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

225 985 375

I could use some friends with real good units to try to carry me in some event stages. I'm also adding codes I see in here, but just in case anyone is so bored they want to add a useless newbie manually

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

Otherwise known as doing a Fenrir.

That would be pulling no 3* but getting Gilgamesh and Lightning.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Pulled a Kefka with the daily. That's arguably better long-term than any banner character, sweet.

Kefka, Arc, ExDeath, ExDeath mage murderer's row. :getin:

Hopefully the fallout from this event somehow leads to gumi presenting global with a top-tier holiday banner. *prepares the pig catapult*

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dangerous.hotdog posted:

You could always do an Edgar glass cannon setup. I don't think Chainsaw falls under the ban rules right?

I have 3, I guess I could for shits and giggles, but only one is 4* so would take a bit.

Other topic, is there a way to finish the bridge ELT with only great dps from a friend unit? My only good dps is a 6* Exdeath with meh 6* Dracwell and Bartz. I have 6* Refia and Cecil and can bring Agrias to full break so I have the other roles covered, just not my own dps.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

225 985 375

I could use some friends with real good units to try to carry me in some event stages. I'm also adding codes I see in here, but just in case anyone is so bored they want to add a useless newbie manually

687 257 447

Also a useless newbie, but I have a 200ish attack power Luneth if that helps any.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
On a positive note: this event should get Diabolos to 40 and Carbuncle up into the 30s if I plunk away at it. And refill my stores of Sacred/Holy crystals.

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

Shoenin posted:

Something is just simply wrong with MEmu for me, since I can't even log into Google services from it either. So something broke and I have no idea what. "Google Play Services has stopped" is just getting spammed over and over as well.

and any time I minimize the game, it crashes and the error of "Launcher3 has stopped" happens. So yeah, something went wrong with MEmu for me

When the google Play services thing happens again, just go to your app settings and scroll till you get "all apps" click the button on the bottom right and clear all the cache/data for everything. This will fix it in the future, i know you already re-downloaded but I figured I'd at least provide a solution for anyone else reading.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

That's, like, just your opinion, man.

Sometimes I don't even take a healer and just spam attacks and I'm doing okay.

Also, some people (not me) STILL don't have "proper" team makeups.

If you don't have a healer capable of casting Cheer/Embolden, then the Morale Pendant is still worthless, because it means you're probably still early in the story. So your energy is better spent doing the story stages, building up lapis for pulls, earning good rank XP to level up your max NRG faster, and getting newer recipes for materias and equipment. If you really want attack, a Hyper Wrist gives the exact same base attack bonus as the Morale Pendant, and requires far less NRG to get the crafting materials.

The Morale Pendant is still worthless no matter where you are gameplay-wise. I mean, hell, if you really want a worthless accessory that bad, I won't stop you, it's your game. But honestly, you're wasting your time, and you could get so much more done if you did other things.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Maybe if everyone complains about the event on their Facebook page or something they'll be tempted to increase gear drops or something. As it is I did one half price pull to see if I could get lucky and get Snow or Vanille, but I didn't so this doesn't even seem worth grinding for summon tickets.

I'll just be doing the exp and awakening vortexes unless they give Lightning a bonus. If they give her a good bonus I can get the tickets and awakening materials. But unless they also boost the default rate (or add another dungeon that has better gear drops) there's no way I'm getting even the cheap moogle.

Even if I had a 150% bonus I'd be making 250 gears per run, which even with a generous 20 runs a day only nets me 5,000 gears. That's 70k gears in fourteen days, which basically means you can't get both moogles with the current rates without using lapis refreshes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

If you don't have a healer capable of casting Cheer/Embolden, then the Morale Pendant is still worthless, because it means you're probably still early in the story. So your energy is better spent doing the story stages, building up lapis for pulls, earning good rank XP to level up your max NRG faster, and getting newer recipes for materias and equipment. If you really want attack, a Hyper Wrist gives the exact same base attack bonus as the Morale Pendant, and requires far less NRG to get the crafting materials.

The Morale Pendant is still worthless no matter where you are gameplay-wise. I mean, hell, if you really want a worthless accessory that bad, I won't stop you, it's your game. But honestly, you're wasting your time, and you could get so much more done if you did other things.

I have Refia and don't really use her in the Arena. That auto buff is handy.

It's good to be able to look at things from different perspectives.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 2, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Power Pot from an Arena summon ticket and another Power Pot from clearing my current Arena Board. Why yes, Elza would like to gain +20 ATK over the course of a couple hours, thank you.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm just going to wait until next week to farm, hopefully Lightning gives a bonus.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Lol, I hit the SPR cap with Refia and can't feed her anymore SPR pots.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Woah. I just realized the weapons are exclusive to the XIII characters. I was wondering why nobody was looking forward to giving their CoD's a new boomerang. Looks like I'll just be grinding for mats, tickets and cactuars. At least those are still there.

God this is dumb. I'm gonna pull my Sazh back off and throw an okay 6 star Bartz back up. I'm f2p, so my stuff isn't that great, but tevs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Wow holy poo poo, according to reddit they tripled or more the cost of everything in this event. The 6000 abilities only cost like 1200 in JP.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 2, 2016

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Who's brilliant idea was this. I mean how can you gently caress your playerbase so badly. You want them happy and spending $ ESPECIALLY with xmas coming.

:psyduck:

quote:

"Thunderfall: JP 2400 GL 6000

Here we go: JP 1600 GL 5600

Attacker: JP 1200 GL 2600

Defender: JP 800 GL 2600

Taken from: http://altema.jp/ffbe/ff13korabo-12047"

They did change something. They INCREASED the gear cost, effectively tripling it in most cases without modifying the drop rate at all. That's downright scammy.

Like many said, this reflect VERY poorly on SE/Gumi/Alim or whoever

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah but something something just bring a sazh friend while your lightning and luneth and giglamesh something something we all have whale units something, no big deal

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It's pretty scummy, but par for the course from Gumi. Others have said it earlier in thread, just prepare yourself to not get everything and don't get too mad about it. We might get some relief next week if they turn on Lightning to 100% bonus and add a new fight that drops more gears.

Or we might get hosed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I bought 10 more friend slots if anybody needs help. I'm currently running Vanille which gives a 75% bonus instead of lovely Sazh. If they unlock Lightning next week I'll switch to her.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Woah. I just realized the weapons are exclusive to the XIII characters. I was wondering why nobody was looking forward to giving their CoD's a new boomerang. Looks like I'll just be grinding for mats, tickets and cactuars. At least those are still there.

Yeah I was thinking "Man that spear would be nice for my second Lightning" and then I saw it was Fang only so gently caress that.

I'm gonna take this event easy. I'll still do it every day, but I'm not going to be too concerned about drops. I'm really hoping that Lightning will get a bonus next week, and based on the BF event, it will hopefully be 100%, so if I take three Lightnings (and Sazh) then that'll be almost 500 per run (more if I get lucky with Gigantuars), and I'll try and go for the 30k moogle. The 70k moogle, though, gently caress that noise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nuebot posted:

Wow holy poo poo, according to reddit they tripled or more the cost of everything in this event. The 6000 abilities only cost like 1200 in JP.

Gumi is the same company that significantly reduced drop rates on most things early on in Brave Frontier's global server, most notiably the idols used as evo mats, so this isn't surprising in the slightest.

I wonder if this means we'll get the Easter event next year and it'll be even more grindy for us when we get it. Maybe they'll only let global have one chocobo eater location per run. :shepicide:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So does the publisher (is that what Gumi is?) have total control over what they do with the game? It seems really odd and hosed up that one localization gets sugar and another gets poo poo just because of the publisher.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

rio posted:

So does the publisher (is that what Gumi is?) have total control over what they do with the game? It seems really odd and hosed up that one localization gets sugar and another gets poo poo just because of the publisher.

Publishers get a lot of say and sway. Not mobile, but look at how sco/flysis/ar/ace online are handled between different publishers. Same poo poo.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Part of it is because there's vastly more whales in Japan, and the competition between cell phone games is pretty stiff, so a lot of Japanese cell games tend to be overly generous to sway more players to play and spend money on their game over a competitor's.

I don't doubt that there's a lot of things Gumi can't control with the game, due to the programmer turnover rate/not wanting to break things since they're basically a localization company, so if they start fiddling too much with the code, it could interfere with future updates.

But also part of it is because as much of an outcry as it causes, making GBS threads on global players like this DOES make them more money. Trust me, they've been around a very long time. They utilize these manipulation techniques BECAUSE it works for their profits, despite whatever threats or ill will the player base holds towards them because of it.

God help you if you have any financial stakes in the game/nostalgia attachment to the series/any characters, because they are effectively using that against you. See Orlando and the atrocious banner he's on for starters.

Anyways, my plan for this event is do the minimal necessary for dailys, and wait for next week which is when lightning's bonus should come into play. Probably just going to go for all tickets save the most expensive, and maybe some six* awakening materials with whatever's left over. The fist weapon is arguably worthwhile, but should consider who it's going to go on. Snow is the obvious choice, but are you going to run him over Cecil or Wall if you have either? Wall can use it too, but he's likely better off with the hammer that gives him 15% increased HP, so the only time he'd use the fist is if you're up against an enemy that resists lighting damage. And even then, he's likely not there to be a damage dealer anyways.

Personally, I'm more interested to see what will happen with the next event. It looks like it might be a combination of the two type 0 banners, don't know if they had different events or not.

Also something that might've been missed: there's bundles being sold for Gil in the shops. Just single six* awakening materials, and a few metal cactus, but if you're over laden with Gil, might as well pick them up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rio posted:

Japan also has various gaming and gacha laws that other countries do not. Remember how the global banner for Zidane apparently didn't work right or didn't have a regular rate up? That poo poo would not have been allowed in Japan because misleading people or just having a gacha not work it should isn't "oh well sorry" it's "oh yes we're going to make this right we promise so please don't ban our game or fine our studio in to the ground."

e: I don't think the US is ever going to see similar 'gacha' laws until some Congressman or an immediate relative of theirs gets burned hard and causes said politician to make it a personal project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Notably, in Japan, you're not allowed to have a paid gatcha like McDonald's monopoly, where you need Park Place (common) and Boardwalk (super rare) to trade in for your super elf spear or whatever

• Locked thread