Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

IS Mosu counter-offensive has broken the encirclement and reestablished link to Raqqa.

hahaha, wow

Unless this was somehow part of the plan? I know some were advocating leaving a route out of Mosul open, so that the fighters within had options other than fighting to the death.

I know I know, its a big stretch.

e: have a link to this breakout?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Coldwar timewarp posted:

What a surprise! Having the ISF try to handle things alone is a bad idea. The Peshmerga and PMUs should have a more prominent role rather than being sidelined. The article on the way both seiges are covered is very funny, hadn't realized it.

Which article?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://isis.liveuamap.com/en/2016/2-december-daesh-reportedly-took-control-and-reopened-again?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Even if ISIS did crack the blockade, temporarily, there's not much they can do aside from hope the Iraqi army breaks itself against Mosul or the political unity behind the offensive crumbles. It's less a strategy and more a desperate hope. If the Iraqi army stalls in its offensive the militias will be employed against the city as well. Part of the reason the Iraqis are having as much problem as they are is that the eastern front is the only one open right now and the militias are being held back due to the certain...reputation they've developed. Although to be quite frank I don't know if the real power behind the militias mind the Iraqi army bleeding itself white over Mosul.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Brother Friendship posted:

Even if ISIS did crack the blockade, temporarily, there's not much they can do aside from hope the Iraqi army breaks itself against Mosul or the political unity behind the offensive crumbles. It's less a strategy and more a desperate hope. If the Iraqi army stalls in its offensive the militias will be employed against the city as well. Part of the reason the Iraqis are having as much problem as they are is that the eastern front is the only one open right now and the militias are being held back due to the certain...reputation they've developed. Although to be quite frank I don't know if the real power behind the militias mind the Iraqi army bleeding itself white over Mosul.

The Iraqi army isn't exactly well known for its tremendous courage in battle.

I agree its a desperate hope, and that on paper IS loses this every time. Morale can be a funny thing though. IS may be despicable but they're brave and they're effective fighters.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Throatwarbler posted:

IS Mosul counter-offensive has broken the encirclement and reestablished link to Raqqa.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

What a surprise! Having the ISF try to handle things alone is a bad idea. The Peshmerga and PMUs should have a more prominent role rather than being sidelined. The article on the way both seiges are covered is very funny, hadn't realized it.
The PMUs were the ones who played a big part in the encirclement and cutting the link:

The Peshmerga are in the yellow areas, the Iraqi Army is to the east of Mosul, and the PMUs are in the southwest and west. The PMUs are the ones who cut the road to the west of Tal Afar. (There's overlap between areas, I'm just keeping things simple for now.)

And just because ISIL temporarily reestablished a link to Raqqa doesn't mean it'll stay reestablished:

Yeah, the Iraqi Army could send in the the PMUs to Mosul proper at any time, but then Mosul would would start looking a lot more like Aleppo, namely that Sunnis (Sunni men in particular) would start "disappearing" by the hundreds.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So a dumb on my facebook circle has started claiming the white helmets are part of al qaeda and are often taped executing prisoners. She says that RT is "balanced media", showing "both sides of the issue", so I don't even know if it's worth trying to convince her.

I mean, sure the white helmets probably reflect some of the sectarian issues in the society they come from, but I thought killing people was the exact opposite of their job?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tias posted:

So a dumb on my facebook circle has started claiming the white helmets are part of al qaeda and are often taped executing prisoners. She says that RT is "balanced media", showing "both sides of the issue", so I don't even know if it's worth trying to convince her.

I mean, sure the white helmets probably reflect some of the sectarian issues in the society they come from, but I thought killing people was the exact opposite of their job?

You are correct about the white hats. It is also worth arguing with this person, at least so that third parties to the conflict see that there is another (sane) side to what they are saying. Start with RT's funding and purpose, and cite articles to back you up on what they are.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tias posted:

weeeeeeelll, you know...the way this thread has been going you, it might not be as clear cut as you're expecting :lol:

spotlessd posted:

Okay but the idiots on this site who gather round the campfire and let Brown Moses tell them fairytales about White Helmets probably aren't in a great position to cast stones about who is unwittingly repeating propaganda, right?

thatfatkid posted:

Alternatively what exactly should the regime do once they've retaken areas formerly held by jihadist rebels? Should suspected fighters not be detained and vetted?

I understand that most posters in this thread are blatantly cheerleading for Al-Nusra at this point and would rather the regime forces just laid down and died, but that's obviously not going to happen. Try and look at the conflict for the reality that it is, not the fantasy world you want it to be.

Also please try and refrain from putting words in my mouth. Pointing out that the Al-Nusra lead rebels aren't the shining lights of liberal-democracy and would not be an improvement compared to the regime does not equate to support of an authoritarian regime.

it's gotten hard to tell who's a gimmick and who isn't...but I think Vonnegut would say it doesn't really matter.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Tias posted:

Are these videos real? Maybe. Are they authentic? Who knows? That's one of the charming facts of both the present propaganda age and the Syrian Civil War! Did someone who actually is a member of the volunteer(?) organization strap on their suit, capture someone, then turn on the camera and go "Hello, here I am, a member of X, and it's time to torture you because of Y"? Or did someone who wants to make them look bad do that to muddy the waters and make them look bad? Both are possible outcomes in this conflict. Six months ago some rebels filmed themselves beheading a child, filming it and saying 'Yea, we're gonna kill you then post it on the internet :lol:' And two months ago or so that some journalist went and interviewed a 'Nursa Commander' who said things like 'The Israelis and the United States help us out all the time, it's great, but we always need more help because we're bad at war and can't win'. There was some debate if it was real or not, then the interview was geo located to a quarry held by government forces and the interview was bunk. There is deception and counter deception in an endless dance in this modern age of ours. Honestly? Just focus on the root of the problem and not the branches.

I won't say that your friend is a lost cause, but that it would take a very specific message to break through to her. I think that's true of anyone under a certain perception, true or not, and it's what makes the difference between propaganda and white noise. In the 21st century we certainly have created a terrifying and efficient means to instill a programmed narrative into the populace. The Information Age has turned into the Propaganda Age and I don't think human society, and civilization, has the means or capacity to defend itself. There is so much information being pushed out where every fact is met with a counter fact if not multiple, and the truth gets buried like a fossil. It's on purpose, and meant to divide society into as many fragments as possible to prevent unity of purpose. Look at Russia's behavior, in particular in regards to when their redneck friends in the Ukraine shot down a civilian passenger jet with cutting edge Russian anti air weaponry. It was obvious from the start what happened, they denied it, then spread a dozen theories why it wasn't them then accused Ukraine of doing it to kill Putin. Assad did it with Ghouta by claiming the rebels gassed themselves from government positions for pity military intervention. The domestic political situation in the United States has dissolved the way it has because society just cannot get informed in the present media environment. And so long as our journalism structure remains broken I don't think that's going to change.

Honestly I feel that all of this is the precursor to the resurgence of true fascism at home and abroad. Look who just got invited to the white house:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-usa-idUSKBN13R20P

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-duterte-icc-idUSKBN13C0GS

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-duterte-philippines-commentary-idUSKBN13Q4RD

:lol: we're gonna have to deal with this rear end in a top hat until 2022 (more like forever when he liquidates the opposition am i rite)

Combine all of the above with the conclusion of the Syrian Civil War (and...certain other events in Europe and the United States) and it feels like very bad omens for the coming decade for the liberal society built in the aftermath of World War II.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Bashar Al-Assad executes everyone in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Human Grand Prix posted:

I hope Bashar Al-Assad executes everyone in this thread.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Honestly I feel that all of this is the precursor to the resurgence of true fascism at home and abroad. Look who just got invited to the white house:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-usa-idUSKBN13R20P

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-duterte-icc-idUSKBN13C0GS

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-duterte-philippines-commentary-idUSKBN13Q4RD

:lol: we're gonna have to deal with this rear end in a top hat until 2022 (more like forever when he liquidates the opposition am i rite)

That's precious. I'm guessing that Duterte has stopped courting China when he realized that the various insurgencies in the Philippines, whom he actually fears, are backed by Chinese allies like North Korea or Chinese organized crime.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Crowsbeak posted:

If you really want to gently caress Russia, flood it with cheap heroin and accelerate the demographic decline by a decade.

Is it weird that I've thought this same thing? Like it's straight-up evil but it would probably work very well.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'd also like to note here that I've been an extremely fierce critic of the Iraqi militias, Iraqi state corruption, and was the first person in this thread to begin posting Human Rights Watch reports about their massive systemic human rights abuses in Tikrit and Baghdad. I'm not some partisan hack taking one side and backing it just because. I'm very dedicated to human rights.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
These days they're not so much rights as human 'nice-to-haves.'

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sergg posted:

Is it weird that I've thought this same thing? Like it's straight-up evil but it would probably work very well.

We already did that after we invaded Afghanistan

As a bonus it also hit Iran

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Squalid posted:

We already did that after we invaded Afghanistan

As a bonus it also hit Iran

I know Iran's got it bad with heroin. They've got pretty extensive recovery networks in place to help addicts out. Was this by intentional design on our part, or is it moreso that we're willing to look the other way so as not to piss off Afghanis?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sergg posted:

I know Iran's got it bad with heroin. They've got pretty extensive recovery networks in place to help addicts out. Was this by intentional design on our part, or is it moreso that we're willing to look the other way so as not to piss off Afghanis?

I'm not sure I'd call a bunch of cranes and ropes an "extensive recovery network."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I'm not sure I'd call a bunch of cranes and ropes an "extensive recovery network."

haha good one... oh wait its Volkerball, he's serious.

Iran has a very bad problem with heroin and addiction to other drugs. They know it. They fight an American style War on Drugs on their border with Afghanistan to stop smuggling (good luck, over a border that long) even getting occasional help from the US DEA. Dealers and smugglers can get the death penalty for sure.

But for users they're quite progressive. A 2 second google search:

quote:

Yet Iran has some of the world’s most go-ahead policies for addressing the problem, with methadone clinics, charities for tackling drug addiction and programmes for needle exchanges.
http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21583717-why-so-many-young-iranians-are-hooked-hard-drugs-other-religion

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

haha good one... oh wait its Volkerball, he's serious.

Iran has a very bad problem with heroin and addiction to other drugs. They know it. They fight an American style War on Drugs on their border with Afghanistan to stop smuggling (good luck, over a border that long) even getting occasional help from the US DEA. Dealers and smugglers can get the death penalty for sure.

But for users they're quite progressive. A 2 second google search:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21583717-why-so-many-young-iranians-are-hooked-hard-drugs-other-religion

80% of those executed in Iran were hit with drug charges. It's not a "can get the death penalty" situation. We're talking about thousands of people.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

80% of those executed in Iran were hit with drug charges. It's not a "can get the death penalty" situation. We're talking about thousands of people.

I think we were talking about addicts.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Volkerball posted:

The execution of border smugglers is lovely and subject to manipulation by their notoriously vicious police to target people who shouldn't be considered smugglers, but the way they address addiction is considerably better than many European states. There's also widespread support for ending the execution of drug runners, even among people who were some of the largest supporters of it in the past.

Granted that means little given that they rely on the SL to allow that legislation to take effect, and I see his response being "We appreciate the well-meaning sympathy blahblahblah but Ali Mobedi of our antinarcotics division thinks that abolishing the death penalty would only embolden the cartels. Under his advice it is now mandatory for police to roast and eat crackbabies. Godbless"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If only they were progressive enough to use their War on Drugs™ to instead fill work camps privately-operated for profit prisons with slaves convicted laborers!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Al-Saqr, I'm genuinely interested in your worldview, though I'm pretty sure you won't respond to this post:

How do you square your belief that the Syrian Kurds have a moral duty to fight Assad and die for Islamists that have routinely denounced and attacked them with your own refusal to say as much as a single negative word against your own tyrannical mass-murdering government? You've gone so far as to say that if the YPG refuses to fight and die for the Aleppo islamists then you hope that the YPG forces are destroyed for not doing everything they could to stop Assad's tyranny. How can you post in this thread about the moral duty of Syrian Kurds to die in armed revolution against a tyrannical monster while at the same time refusing to say as much as one negative word about your own governments horrible abuses at home and abroad?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its wise to be critical of the Saudi Regime or that I would do so if I was in your shoes, but you do see the incredible hypocrisy in saying others deserve to die for not participating in armed revolution while at the same time refusing to utter even a single word of protest towards your own horrible government, right?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
The west have failed...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-offers-cash-to-assad-regime-for-syria-peace-deal-w8shn8rjx

Who is Kaizer Wilhelms closest relative anyway?

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/leloveluck/status/804094762848555008

A lot of horrific footage coming out of Aleppo. People would seek shelter during bombings in years past, which helped to limit the damage. But now with the streets full of people who have fled their homes, there's nowhere to hide. The state of first response and hospitals is the worst it's ever been, which is exacerbating the problem. People are trying to band together and help the displaced find shelter, but everything is in chaos.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/803938192995008512

https://twitter.com/RamiJarrah/status/803577353959899136

https://twitter.com/Maysaloon/status/804006381359611908

Maybe if IS stopped using hospitals as supply dumps and refrain from hiding behind little children when poo poo hits the fan things would not be so messy , Sooner the flush out these rats the better

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
IS aren't in Aleppo :ssh:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

moonraker posted:

Maybe if IS stopped using hospitals as supply dumps and refrain from hiding behind little children when poo poo hits the fan things would not be so messy , Sooner the flush out these rats the better

useful idiot...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

moonraker posted:

Go back to the RT comments section, buddy.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Didn't the rebels refuse the civilians to leave aleppo anyway?

how is this different from mosul?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Descar posted:

Didn't the rebels refuse the civilians to leave aleppo anyway?

how is this different from mosul?

No, anyway they did not.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But of course, there is the very valid argument that people of Aleppo derserve to be bombed since their still there. They could have left and stop hiding behind jihadists

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Sergg posted:

Volkerball posted:

Schizotek posted:

The execution of border smugglers is lovely and subject to manipulation by their notoriously vicious police to target people who shouldn't be considered smugglers, but the way they address addiction is considerably better than many European states. There's also widespread support for ending the execution of drug runners, even among people who were some of the largest supporters of it in the past.

Granted that means little given that they rely on the SL to allow that legislation to take effect, and I see his response being "We appreciate the well-meaning sympathy blahblahblah but Ali Mobedi of our antinarcotics division thinks that abolishing the death penalty would only embolden the cartels. Under his advice it is now mandatory for police to roast and eat crackbabies. Godbless"

Cat Mattress posted:

If only they were progressive enough to use their War on Drugs™ to instead fill work camps privately-operated for profit prisons with slaves convicted laborers!

As someone that had a grandfather whom had fought against Khorasan pre-revolution drug trade as an officer and a cousin with shishe addiction, unemployment and violent tendencies in prison and uncles with teriyak (opium) addiction, I've seen it all.

Iran is essentially taking one very extreme approach to smuggling and dealing while actually attempting the approach the US should have gone for back in the late 70s and 80s and continued on instead of straight up waging a war and jailing people for using substance.

I don hope this approach is also taken in approach to tackling addiction and substance abuse itself with other middle eastern countries, especially Afghanistan.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

uncleKitchener posted:

As someone that had a grandfather whom had fought against Khorasan pre-revolution drug trade as an officer and a cousin with shishe addiction, unemployment and violent tendencies in prison and uncles with teriyak (opium) addiction, I've seen it all.

Iran is essentially taking one very extreme approach to smuggling and dealing while actually attempting the approach the US should have gone for back in the late 70s and 80s and continued on instead of straight up waging a war and jailing people for using substance.

I don hope this approach is also taken in approach to tackling addiction and substance abuse itself with other middle eastern countries, especially Afghanistan.

I thought shishe was just Farsi for hookah is it also slang for opium?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Meth

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

TildeATH posted:

Crystal meth. It's called shishe because it resembles glass shards. Not to be confused with Shisha smoking (called Qelioun in Iran).

Teriyak = Opium
Alaf = Grass/Weed

edit: Qalioun is also Qalyan too.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 3, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

uncleKitchener posted:

Teriyak = Opium

I wonder what grilled poppies with soy glazing tastes like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There have been serious clashes in Tripoli recently. There isn't much clear about the situation now but it seems the remnant GNC elements led by Khalifa Ghwell have been on the losing side.

https://www.libyaherald.com/2016/12/01/fighting-in-tripoli-as-pro-pc-forces-move-to-crush-militants/

Weirdly this article notes Ghwell was supported by some militamen from the city of Misrata, whose fighters have generally aligned with the GNA against him.

• Locked thread