Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns you watched '85 right? You should watch '90 next and complete your Ferrari history lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Prost = alive and well

Senna = dead and gay

Pretty obvious who was the best driver imho

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Norns you watched '85 right? You should watch '90 next and complete your Ferrari history lesson.

Alright. Was looking for another season anyway.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Retiring right after beating somebody for the first time in 18 years of racing together is the ultimate bitch move IMO.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Max had one over hyped result early on and will now fade into mediocrity and midfield crashes like his father did.

To be fair to Max he has already accomplished more than his father ever did.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

and Kobayashi...

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I looked on djitsjustsquire's Twitter to see if he was planning on making a dramatic comeback in a Merc but his feed is a depressing wasteland

https://twitter.com/AlguersuariJA/status/795968192455708672

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wow fantastic Nico, I think he's just gifted us the best F1 off season for drama, Lewis thought he had the measure of him now he will have someone new... please be Alonso that would be hilarious

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Here is a message for u... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPxFDE807s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mad max might be a dangerous idiot, but maybe that's what we need to make F1 watchable.

A full season of Verstappen, Hamilton, and vettel butting heads for an entire season, none willing to give an inch would be legendary.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

The BBC have a run down of the likely candidates: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185491

They reckon the most likely is Bottas, but even then there's the fact that Williams will want an experienced driver to partner the rookie they have coming on board.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

learnincurve posted:

Ours was a Prost house :colbert:

Better Prost than Proust.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Bottas would be as boring as eating plain oatmeal while watching paint dry. If Bernie has any influence left a rematch of Alonso and Hamilton would be a huge boost to viewership.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Butt rear end is insanely mediocre and watching Hamilton beat him by a lap every race is going to make for the most boring racing in history imo

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The man who struggled to beat Massa up against Hamilton. Christ you may as well call Fast Heikki out of retirement.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You will find fast Heikki winning over in the land of the Rising Sun.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously watch that F3 doc where Senna's performance absolutely nose dived because halfway through the season Brundle decided he had enough of Senna's bullshit and let him crash. I can easily envision that scenario happening with Max.

Yeah but even Brundle admits Senna was the better driver. I'm sure there was some editorial creativity in the marshals favouring the local boy and whatnot, mind.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Powershift posted:

Mad max might be a dangerous idiot, but maybe that's what we need to make F1 watchable.

A full season of Verstappen, Hamilton, and vettel butting heads for an entire season, none willing to give an inch would be legendary.

He wasn't even dangerous though, Vettel was being a petulant oval office because he was expecting to sign for Ferrari and dominate like his hero Herr Schumacher the Great whilst casually forgetting Ferrari was a loving shitshow until 1999.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously watch that F3 doc where Senna's performance absolutely nose dived because halfway through the season Brundle decided he had enough of Senna's bullshit and let him crash. I can easily envision that scenario happening with Max.

Did Brundle have a manager or did he represent himself? I can't understand his awful career choices.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Theophany posted:

He wasn't even dangerous though, Vettel was being a petulant oval office because he was expecting to sign for Ferrari and dominate like his hero Herr Schumacher the Great whilst casually forgetting Ferrari was a loving shitshow until 1999.

No, he's a hair unhinged. He's still an invincible teenager. Hell, he hit hulkenburg and spun in the first corner in the last race.

That said, he one-stopped, and where everybody said the supersofts would last ~13 laps, he went 23. If Anybody else one-stopped, they would have won that race. There is genuine skill there.

We haven't heard from Lauda yet, he probably hasn't stopped swearing long enough to give a reporter a coherent quote.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Yeah but even Brundle admits Senna was the better driver. I'm sure there was some editorial creativity in the marshals favouring the local boy and whatnot, mind.

Ya brundle does but EJ said he had to spend the first half of the season convincing Brundle that it was actually possible to beat Senna and as soon as he did everything turned on its head. Honestly if you watch that doc my impression is that there wasn't a whole lot between those two drivers. That season was hugely political for both sides, I'm not a big fan of the British bias but I think it's fair to say both teams pulled tricks with the rules that year and Brundle being British had a negligible effect on the championship.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did Brundle have a manager or did he represent himself? I can't understand his awful career choices.

He did make some really bad choices after he got to F1.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

No, he's a hair unhinged. He's still an invincible teenager. Hell, he hit hulkenburg and spun in the first corner in the last race.

That said, he one-stopped, and where everybody said the supersofts would last ~13 laps, he went 23. If Anybody else one-stopped, they would have won that race. There is genuine skill there.

We haven't heard from Lauda yet, he probably hasn't stopped swearing long enough to give a reporter a coherent quote.

Red Bull split strategies, and gave max the one that looked more like a race winning one, just like they did webber and vettel in Abby Dabby that time, RBR are cunts that screw over aussies

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ultimately Senna won that battle though: Few years ago McLaren did a "which McLaren driver are you" quiz, Brundle got Senna, and rather snappily pointed out on twitter that he was a former McLaren driver himself.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Can't believe Rosberg bottled it so hard he retired.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

djssniper posted:

Red Bull split strategies, and gave max the one that looked more like a race winning one, just like they did webber and vettel in Abby Dabby that time, RBR are cunts that screw over aussies

No, they knew he blew it in turn 1, and were using him to back Rosberg up to give Riccardo a better chance with the undercut. They didn't expect Hamilton to try to do the same.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

No, they knew he blew it in turn 1, and were using him to back Rosberg up to give Riccardo a better chance with the undercut. They didn't expect Hamilton to try to do the same.

I prefer my theory.. it fits the RBR narrative

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The undercut still would've worked if Hamilton was backing everyone up...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but logic would suggest at some point, in even cars, the 'faster" car would pass the one going slowly. Especially if the "faster" car would be the one to benefit from a collision.

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

Lewis may be talented but gently caress he's a classless oval office.

Knowing in your own mind that you're the better driver is fine. Belittling someone else's achievement, someone who's worked hard for 20+ years for his moment just because you happened to have a bad year / some bad luck is a loving cunty thing to do.

Just wish the guy well and go out and prove you're the best instead of constantly reminding everyone you are.

oval office.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but logic would suggest at some point, in even cars, the 'faster" car would pass the one going slowly. Especially if the "faster" car would be the one to benefit from a collision.

Logic suggests also they started on the harder tyre to go further, yet they pitted Ricky in the same window as the rest

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Powershift posted:

But then his response in the pen after the race was that of contrition, he knew he'd made a mistake and whilst not outright admitting it, his words were basically equivalent to "I did something Hulkenberg couldn't possibly have expected or seen."

I get that he's not had a massive incident because other drivers have made allowances for him and it's a totally valid argument. But counter to that you could argue that if he knows people are going to dive out of his way, then play up to it and get past. The drive that springs to mind is Monaco last year up where he was sneaking through blue flags until he outbraked himself at Eau Rivage, which admittedly was a textbook rookie error. The fact Rosberg made such a big deal of having to pass Verstappen in Abu Dhabi is, to my mind at least, testament to how good the boy is. Even the old heads don't want to 1v1 him on Rust.

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya brundle does but EJ said he had to spend the first half of the season convincing Brundle that it was actually possible to beat Senna and as soon as he did everything turned on its head. Honestly if you watch that doc my impression is that there wasn't a whole lot between those two drivers. That season was hugely political for both sides, I'm not a big fan of the British bias but I think it's fair to say both teams pulled tricks with the rules that year and Brundle being British had a negligible effect on the championship.

I did watch it, it's bloody good. But then I thought Senna was a bloody good documentary, but totally biased against Prost.

I get what you're saying, but it's EJ. The guy is and always has been full of poo poo. Brundle is about the only F1 pundit I actually respect because he is level headed and more often than not drat right. I trust his judgment as a race in retrospect of that season. If anything, that documentary made me sad that McLaren were total dogshit when he joined them. :(

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The biggest thing that doc did was vastly lower my opinion of 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Deepfried posted:

Knowing in your own mind that you're the better driver is fine. Belittling someone else's achievement, someone who's worked hard for 20+ years for his moment just because you happened to have a bad year / some bad luck is a loving cunty thing to do.

Just wish the guy well and go out and prove you're the best instead of constantly reminding everyone you are.

oval office.

This. He has gently caress all to gain by being a twat. It just makes no sense unless you're a loving dickwad with no self awareness.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Deepfried posted:

oval office.

Yep Rosberg has a family, a great life with a history of intelligence and class, Lewis has no loving idea what he is outside F1, he's awkward and has little social skills outside his celebrity poo poo
Every other driver has a passion for people or country they represent.... however I do pity him for it, he was Ron's protégé

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
On the subject of Eddie Jordan, this guy can't even admit he's bald as gently caress and we all know it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

People probably said a lot of the same poo poo about Lauda.

Many probably still do.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Incidentally if you do casually run into 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg do not ask him in a joking tone "What was it like being lapped by Prost?" he will not find it funny.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

On the subject of Eddie Jordan, this guy can't even admit he's bald as gently caress and we all know it.

I don't get why people have an issue with it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Senna was good. Rosberg lost his title in 5 days and Hamilton is salty as gently caress. I hope Mercedes signs Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Senna was good. Rosberg lost his title in 5 days and Hamilton is salty as gently caress. I hope Mercedes signs Max.

Rosberg walks away with his title I think that's fantastic for him, he achieved what he wanted, I hope someone destructive walks into that Merc seat, Max Ferd or seb I'd be happy, Lewis is too comfortable and his pissy comments about Nico show it

• Locked thread