Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:( God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like the game's combat system but it still feels odd to me that the correct thing to do most of the time is hold Guard

Like that being the case why isn't it just an automatic thing and you can only get hit when animation locked or in Stasis

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Chairman posted:

I think I like FFXV precisely because it's so weird -- it's the first FF game in a long while to try/borrow some new things besides incrementally-prettier graphics and tinkering with the ATB system. Not all of the new stuff lands but it's going to be a great base for XV-2 or XVI or Prompto's Requiem or whatever else is next.

Isn't the FF7 Remake going to use somewhat modified FFXV combat? At least from the last trailer I saw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I like the game's combat system but it still feels odd to me that the correct thing to do most of the time is hold Guard

Like that being the case why isn't it just an automatic thing and you can only get hit when animation locked or in Stasis

There are a lot of weird little mechanical things I don't think are well considered to be honest. It's an improvement over the original demo but it's the sort of thing where I think if they did one more Duscae-style demo and took feedback from that it would have made a significant number of improvements to the game.

FFXV honestly is the sort of game where I feel like if they had one more year in development it would be a whole lot better. It feels like they got about 3/4ths of the way there and then had to shove it out the door.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That was probably the reason for the last delay. At this point though squeenix probably just wanted it out the door.

An XV-2 with an all-female cast like they half-joked about in that one interview would be amazing for a lot of reasons.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lakbay posted:

I got a message that "Ignis is confident in Noctis" or something and now I can fast travel at night, this is the greatest

Did you manually drive at night a bunch to get this?

Also question: can your car actually be damaged? They mention repair but I have no idea how it'd actually be hurt because nothing happens when driving and you can't actually crash it.

Also gently caress any section that forces you to walk slow. It doesn't raise tension to force me to slowly creep forward while my dumbass buddies talk over themselves with one liners. All it does it make me bunny hop constantly because jumping is faster than walking. Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Also question: can your car actually be damaged? They mention repair but I have no idea how it'd actually be hurt because nothing happens when driving and you can't actually crash it.

Also gently caress any section that forces you to walk slow. It doesn't raise tension to force me to slowly creep forward while my dumbass buddies talk over themselves with one liners. All it does it make me bunny hop constantly because jumping is faster than walking. Thanks!

Your car can be damaged but I legitimately don't know how it would happen unless you intentionally try to crash into poo poo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe, I only manually drove at night like once or twice. The only thing I did do was disagree with Ignis when he said "we shouldn't drive at night" dialog prompts 2 or 3 times

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Your car can be damaged but I legitimately don't know how it would happen unless you intentionally try to crash into poo poo.

I've heard a lot of reports of shattered windows and then going "Oh, that's what Cindy is for."

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Trick Question posted:

There are definitely attacks that hit you through the defensive stance. At the very least the giant snakes do some.

Some attacks you actually have to dodge deliberately and not just hold square, stuff with an aoe like missiles and snakes spinning around

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Lakbay posted:

Isn't the FF7 Remake going to use somewhat modified FFXV combat? At least from the last trailer I saw

That would be badass

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I've crashed my car twice. Once just to see if my friends would yell at me if I went into oncoming traffic, but the second time was unintentional when I tried to take a turn too fast and hit the side ramp at full speed.

Just like in real life you should slow down a bit before turning, I guess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carmant posted:

That would be badass

It seems likely. The combat system looks similar and Barrett's special move in the trailer looks basically like the Techniques in XV. It's probably not going to be identical but it seems pretty likely it's gonna be "You play as Cloud, your pals hang on the edge." Maybe with "You play as Tifa" and "you play as Cid" taking over at some point.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

melodicwaffle posted:

e: also went through the very beginning of the game to show it to someone else, just a simple yes or no will suffice but do I ever get to play as old Noctis from the very first cutscene, and/or does that ever get expanded on. I wanna play old Noctis

Yes, and it's even better if you wear the casual outfit and roll around a bunch because then he looks like a hobo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder if it'll run at 60 since it's unreal 4.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Lakbay posted:

No, it's got menus for one thing, and Nomura described it as 'action-heavy' but also something you can enjoy if you're bad at action games, whatever that means. Kitase describes it as being influenced by Dissida:

"We haven’t completely transitioned into action, but as our director [Tetsuya] Nomura-san says, Final Fantasy (in terms of action games) is best represented by Dissidia in the current landscape. In terms of the Final Fantasy action battles people have experienced themselves, that is most familiar to them these days. In terms of the image of the battle system, that’s where we’re getting the feel from. It won’t be as action-focused as Dissidia, of course, but the the visuals and how the gameplay feels in essence will be drawn from that Dissidia-esque style."

The only time we'd see more of FFXV's battle system is if we get a direct sequel. Square-Enix has already confirmed the battle system for XVI would be whatever the next director feels like doing, just like every other mainline FF, and FF7R is doing its own thing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

drat you can just stunlock iron giants by doing the one handed sword delay attack over and over

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It seems likely. The combat system looks similar and Barrett's special move in the trailer looks basically like the Techniques in XV. It's probably not going to be identical but it seems pretty likely it's gonna be "You play as Cloud, your pals hang on the edge." Maybe with "You play as Tifa" and "you play as Cid" taking over at some point.

It'd be real awesome if they upgraded the system so that you can switch between what character you're directly controlling at will, with the AI taking over for whoever you're not currently controlling.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know that Ardyn (Kingsglaive spoilers)is instrumental in the ruination of Insomnia and the King's death, but how can I hate the guy when he wants to hang out with my party at the convince store?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Chairman posted:

I think I like FFXV precisely because it's so weird -- it's the first FF game in a long while to try/borrow some new things besides incrementally-prettier graphics and tinkering with the ATB system. Not all of the new stuff lands and there's a couple jarring places in the main story that all but have "SCENE MISSING" placards, but it's going to be a great base for XV-2 or XVI or Prompto's Requiem or whatever else is next.

I appreciate the weirdness, I don't appreciate all the backwards mechanics that drag an already slow game down even further. Also just a plethora of QoL things that got missed.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I actually got sideswiped by another car when Ignis was driving once. I've seen it one time in 20 hours.

That leads me to think it may have just been a bug, which there are a lot of; one of the things they got from the move to open-world was open-world jank, and it's both funny and frustrating at times. Remarkably solid, all things considered, tho.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
:lol: At the conversation at the end of The Perfect Cup quest

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know that Ardyn (Kingsglaive spoilers)is instrumental in the ruination of Insomnia and the King's death, but how can I hate the guy when he wants to hang out with my party at the convince store?

Prompto took a picture of that. It was a selfie and his elbow was in front of Ardyn's face. It was hilarious.

Also I can't wait to bust-a-base

e: Someone joked earlier in the thread about a supervillain meeting you in a McDonalds and Ardyn is totslly the kinda guy who you'd just randomly run into while eating at Kenny's

Terper fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 3, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Parts of this game feel like they were balanced around Easy mode with how nuts they are in Normal - there have been a few spots where enemies are just humongous HP sponges with a ton of ridiculously hard-hitting attacks and you spend as much time in menus reviving your buddies as you do actually fighting them. On the other hand, this is the first FF game ever where I actually need to use consumables once in a while. And it's nice to have enemies that are actually as tough as they look, versus stuff like 7 or 8 where you run into some giant monster and kill it with a single command.

The pack of Couerls is a good example though - I came back later to do that hunt and I was double their level and they still instantly killed 3/4s of my party in 5 seconds. Not put them in danger, full-out killed them. And they had the Health II upgrade and decent accessories. Not really what I'd call "normal" difficultly. Mostly the trouble is that the camera is way too bad in areas with foliage to keep track of multiple enemies with insta-gib attacks. Half the time I can barely see the enemy I'm targeting, let alone watch the others to see if they are charging up their gently caress-you attacks.

I'm excited to check out this postgame stuff though - I already saw the Adamantoise and I think that might be legitimately the largest enemy I've ever seen in a video game that didn't involve weird size scaling. A few of these hunts also seem to have enemies that you can't find anywhere else, including a couple familiar faces from older games. Feels like I've got quite a bit left to do.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Parts of this game feel like they were balanced around Easy mode with how nuts they are in Normal - there have been a few spots where enemies are just humongous HP sponges with a ton of ridiculously hard-hitting attacks and you spend as much time in menus reviving your buddies as you do actually fighting them. On the other hand, this is the first FF game ever where I actually need to use consumables once in a while. And it's nice to have enemies that are actually as tough as they look, versus stuff like 7 or 8 where you run into some giant monster and kill it with a single command.

The pack of Couerls is a good example though - I came back later to do that hunt and I was double their level and they still instantly killed 3/4s of my party in 5 seconds. Not put them in danger, full-out killed them. And they had the Health II upgrade and decent accessories. Not really what I'd call "normal" difficultly. Mostly the trouble is that the camera is way too bad in areas with foliage to keep track of multiple enemies with insta-gib attacks. Half the time I can barely see the enemy I'm targeting, let alone watch the others to see if they are charging up their gently caress-you attacks.

I'm excited to check out this postgame stuff though - I already saw the Adamantoise and I think that might be legitimately the largest enemy I've ever seen in a video game that didn't involve weird size scaling. A few of these hunts also seem to have enemies that you can't find anywhere else, including a couple familiar faces from older games. Feels like I've got quite a bit left to do.

Couerls always buttfuck you, I remember getting hosed up by them in many FF games with their blaster attack.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably not going to be identical but it seems pretty likely it's gonna be "You play as Cloud, your pals hang on the edge."

If this is the case, I think they could still pull it off if Cloud doing most of the work and everyone else kinda cruising was played lighthearted. Maybe they're doing some scripted fighting-in-the-background-stuff against enemies just for show, but at the same time once in a while you'll look and they're kinda chillaxing, Red all playin chess with Barret, Cid lighting up all "what man i did my part."

Sometimes maybe the game will acknowledge that Cloud's doing most of the work in a tongue-in-cheek way, like a rare extended victory pose where where they're laying it on kinda thick with the congratulations and Cloud reacts like Zack: "Yeah!!" but then slowly goes more towards Cloud-Cloud, "Y, yeah! Yeah... y'all can stop now, i'm getting embarrassed"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

If this is the case, I think they could still pull it off if Cloud doing most of the work and everyone else kinda cruising was played lighthearted. Maybe they're doing some scripted fighting-in-the-background-stuff against enemies just for show, but at the same time once in a while you'll look and they're kinda chillaxing, Red all playin chess with Barret, Cid lighting up all "what man i did my part."

Sometimes maybe the game will acknowledge that Cloud's doing most of the work in a tongue-in-cheek way, like a rare extended victory pose where where they're laying it on kinda thick with the congratulations and Cloud reacts like Zack: "Yeah!!" but then slowly goes more towards Cloud-Cloud, "Y, yeah! Yeah... y'all can stop now, i'm getting embarrassed"

They just need to have Barrett learn to take selfies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a feature where vincent writes emergent poetry and shows it to you every night

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Sooo... Japanese, English, French or German voices? I am weirdly tempted to try German.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Do treasures ever do anything? They all just say they can be sold for Gil. I just emptied out most of my treasures and have 8k gil. Well, 6 after buying a couple more Phoenix Downs.

I'm still in the beginning, so if they do stuff, oh well, hopefully I'll be finding plenty of them later on.

Also I went into a mine and a level 52 jerk hit me and I fell to a lower floor and then spent ten minutes walking back out, that guy was a real butthead, lemme tell ya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Do treasures ever do anything? They all just say they can be sold for Gil. I just emptied out most of my treasures and have 8k gil. Well, 6 after buying a couple more Phoenix Downs.

I'm still in the beginning, so if they do stuff, oh well, hopefully I'll be finding plenty of them later on.

Also I went into a mine and a level 52 jerk hit me and I fell to a lower floor and then spent ten minutes walking back out, that guy was a real butthead, lemme tell ya.

Treasures often can be crafted into incredibly powerful magic and certain ones are needed for quests and poo poo. It's really not worth selling them.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
The two handed swords started really working well for me once I realized that one of the fastest things you can do with it is counterattack immediately after dodging something.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it worthwhile to equip spells on your npc buds? I tried, and they don't seem to be using them much, or at all? But I'm still quite early in the game so maybe the AI is just really smart about not wasting them on easy enemies? It's probably not that, but could it be that?

Don't use it on Prompto or Gladiolis because they both have terrible magic stats and have really cool secondary weapons. (One of which, machines, completely hobbles Noctis if he tries to use them.) I've tried it on Ignis but he's never cast them, I think he probably holds it until he libras a weakness.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ImpAtom posted:

Treasures often can be crafted into incredibly powerful magic and certain ones are needed for quests and poo poo. It's really not worth selling them.

Cool. Guess I'll just hang onto the money I got from that purge and just leave them alone from now on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Doable. Imp knows people in the industry, right? He can like tell 'em "all you have to do is feed this gologle guy's posts into a markov generator and this guy is the monkey typing shakespeare"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Endorph posted:

I actually kinda unironically want this now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drat. Guess I should stop selling my treasures.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DrNutt posted:

Man I am really loving this but I would murder someone to have Mistwalker make Lost Odyssey 2. Are those guys up to anything? Or did they screw themselves into irrelevance and mobile games after The Last Story?

In addition to Terra Battle, they're working with Silicon Studios (Bravely Default) on a new game. I'm guessing it's a mobile game with fancy graphics, similar to Final Fantasy Mobius.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

Doable. Imp knows people in the industry, right? He can like tell 'em "all you have to do is feed this enhydra lutris's posts into a markov generator and this guy is the monkey typing shakespeare"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

get artifacting all over the screen sometimes when i parry :ohdear:

• Locked thread