Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Actually the start and end of ME2 are interesting but very flawed.

Useless death and terminator reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Pattonesque posted:

It was hilariously easy to miss in single player and only during the mission to Sanctuary so you barely got to play with it, which is too bad because it owns

I am a huge fan of the Mattock so the Saber was just only amped up to eleven. So naturally I never got to unlock it in multiplayer. However I do have a Harrier IX and that takes some of the sting out of it.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I watched the gameplay trailer for Andromeda, having followed exactly nothing about this game, and thought it looked really expansive and ambitious and cool. Facial animation a bit wonky but nothing that couldn't be fixed before release, and even if they don't fix it I'm not really a stickler for that sort of thing.

But I peeked in here and everyone seems to hate everything about the trailer, the series as a whole, BioWare, video games, just everything.

I only played ME1 and thought it was fantastic, the setup of this -- intergalactic colonisation, exploring multiple worlds, the look and feel -- gave me sort of an ME1 vibe which looks cool to me. I was planning to play ME2/3 now after seeing this trailer; should I not do that, or what? Are they just super disappointing?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

thorsilver posted:

I only played ME1 and thought it was fantastic, the setup of this -- intergalactic colonisation, exploring multiple worlds, the look and feel -- gave me sort of an ME1 vibe which looks cool to me. I was planning to play ME2/3 now after seeing this trailer; should I not do that, or what? Are they just super disappointing?

ME2 is good all around. ME3 has the most fun gameplay but has a lot of plot issues.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

thorsilver posted:

So I watched the gameplay trailer for Andromeda, having followed exactly nothing about this game, and thought it looked really expansive and ambitious and cool. Facial animation a bit wonky but nothing that couldn't be fixed before release, and even if they don't fix it I'm not really a stickler for that sort of thing.

But I peeked in here and everyone seems to hate everything about the trailer, the series as a whole, BioWare, video games, just everything.

Most folks here are a bit jaded, in some cases understandably

ME2 is one of the greatest games ever made

There is no consensus opinion on ME3

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Just play em with low-to-middling expectations and you should be fine.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pattonesque posted:

loving lmao yes there is

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mass Effect 3 has a rock solid plot until the very end, where Bioware dropped the ball so hard it retroactively ruined the entire series forever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually the start and end of ME2 are interesting but very flawed.

Useless death and terminator reaper

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

loving lmao yes there is

There clearly isn't.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

Mass Effect 3 has a rock solid plot until the very end, where Bioware dropped the ball so hard it retroactively ruined the entire series forever.

Basically the plot for ME3 was pretty good and action-y until you get back to Earth and then it becomes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

E: also any scene involving the weird flashbacks and the whole forest scenes with star kid and poo poo.

E2: you know what the whole game was poo poo except for the really improved gunplay, and multiplayer owned too.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 3, 2016

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

rndmnmbr posted:

I remember hearing about the clusterfuck of an ending, I guess the revised one they pushed out wasn't any better?

Pattonesque posted:

Most folks here are a bit jaded, in some cases understandably

I figured that, but the level of negativity seemed so fierce that I started to wonder whether stuff I'd heard, like...

quote:

ME2 is one of the greatest games ever made

...was just way, way off base or something.

quote:

That aside is there a consensus that I should try it for myself in that case? Or would some say it's better to just stop after ME2?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thorsilver posted:

I remember hearing about the clusterfuck of an ending, I guess the revised one they pushed out wasn't any better?

I figured that, but the level of negativity seemed so fierce that I started to wonder whether stuff I'd heard, like...

...was just way, way off base or something.

That aside is there a consensus that I should try it for myself in that case? Or would some say it's better to just stop after ME2?

Well, put it this way -- there is no consensus on whether or not ME3 is good, but I'd argue that it's certainly an important game. playing it will probably tell you a lot about how you think about stories?

As for the negativity, I think a lot of folks were waiting for a big rush of dopamine upon completing ME3 and instead of that they got whatever it was BioWare was going for. Combine that with the usual gamer way of looking at things (all games are either 0/10 or 10/10 with little in between) and that's a partial explanation.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Play the drat game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao at this "the answer was somewhere in the middle" bullshit, ME3 was a loving dumpster fire and the people defending it here are trolls, gimmicks or contrarians.

The ending was an atrocious spectacle of disrespect and it breaks you enough to realize the rest of the plot was just as bad.

The gameplay is good enough that they might have been able to run it past you had the ending not been such a dumpster fire *does a cool anime sword slash like Kai Leng*

(For all their flaws I loved ME1 and ME2 and view them as some of the best and most important games in western RPG history. ME3 is definitely not the best at anything except being poo poo, although you could argue it is important for certain reasons. )

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 3, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kai Leng: better boss than Benezia, but dat rack doe

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, buy them and play them. Make up your own mind about them. For all the bitching I do about some plot lines, characters and stuff that happens I still play them because I love the universe they created and find a lot of the gameplay and quests satisfying. I'm playing ME3 as an engineer for the first time and having a lot of fun with this build.
Just be aware that you'll be able to pick up the games for cheap on Origin especially if you hold off for the Christmas sale, but DLC ( a lot of which is necessary to make sense of the plot and should never have been separated out to begin with) can only be bought with Bioware points and they never go on sale.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I love that where it's been definitively shown that bioware had no idea what they were doing and literally stuffed an ending in the game during some all night cram sessions with just the one writer and producer having input that they were apparently "shooting for something" other than hitting an EA mandated release deadline. loving lmao.

*mac Walters voice* "Respect my (f)Art."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alain Post posted:

The start, and end of Mass Effect 2 are the best parts.

I like the increased focus on companions and companion quests more. Because I find character writing the most enjoyable parts of big rpgs and putting a big focus on forming your crew and then developing them was really cool to me.

Especially with how little the party members in ME1 actually mattered to the story, and how a bunch got like no focus at all.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
This is mass effect 3

https://youtu.be/LmZptShSM1o

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Helith posted:

Yeah, buy them and play them. Make up your own mind about them. For all the bitching I do about some plot lines, characters and stuff that happens I still play them because I love the universe they created and find a lot of the gameplay and quests satisfying. I'm playing ME3 as an engineer for the first time and having a lot of fun with this build.
Just be aware that you'll be able to pick up the games for cheap on Origin especially if you hold off for the Christmas sale, but DLC ( a lot of which is necessary to make sense of the plot and should never have been separated out to begin with) can only be bought with Bioware points and they never go on sale.

The ME2 Ultimate Edition comes with all the DLC and is available through vendors other than EA (GameStop, Amazon) but yeah ME3 doesn't have any comparable package for no conceivable reason- even DA:I has a package that comes with all the extras. IMO you can skip everything there but Leviathan anyways.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Pattonesque posted:

Well, put it this way -- there is no consensus on whether or not ME3 is good, but I'd argue that it's certainly an important game. playing it will probably tell you a lot about how you think about stories?

As for the negativity, I think a lot of folks were waiting for a big rush of dopamine upon completing ME3 and instead of that they got whatever it was BioWare was going for. Combine that with the usual gamer way of looking at things (all games are either 0/10 or 10/10 with little in between) and that's a partial explanation.

Yeah, makes sense. I can see how years of anticipation coupled with a terrible ending would leave a sour taste.

If it's any consolation to anyone, it still seems like being a Mass Effect fan during those years was probably a drat sight better than being a Final Fantasy fan during the same period :v:

Helith posted:

I actually already have ME2 and 3 on Origin, they were on sale like two years ago for something ridiculous like $5 each. I just never got round to playing them as shortly after that my life went to hell for a bit, then I got a bunch of new games after that and ME went deep into the backlog.

The DLC poo poo is a bit disheartening. Is there a handy list somewhere of what DLC is critical to the story?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

It's more this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8

In this analogy Marshawn Lynch is "Shepard destroys the Reapers, high-fives Garrus, and goes home"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Reclaimer posted:

The ME2 Ultimate Edition comes with all the DLC and is available through vendors other than EA (GameStop, Amazon) but yeah ME3 doesn't have any comparable package for no conceivable reason- even DA:I has a package that comes with all the extras. IMO you can skip everything there but Leviathan anyways.

It's good that they finally packaged ME2 together, but lmao, they've still not done the same for 3 after so many years. I think you can get a version that comes with Javik included who adds a lot to the game and I'd agree that Leviathan is a needed addition. I would also argue that Citadel is essential because you can play it after the ending and it takes the bad taste away and gives everyone a proper send off. Omega I don't mind but could live without. I like the extra war assets it gives me as I don't do multiplayer.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Helith posted:

It's good that they finally packaged ME2 together, but lmao, they've still not done the same for 3 after so many years. I think you can get a version that comes with Javik included who adds a lot to the game and I'd agree that Leviathan is a needed addition. I would also argue that Citadel is essential because you can play it after the ending and it takes the bad taste away and gives everyone a proper send off. Omega I don't mind but could live without. I like the extra war assets it gives me as I don't do multiplayer.

Javik is cool for a second playthrough but if you're just burning through the series for the first time you probably don't wanna drag his rear end around everywhere.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Javik is cool for a second playthrough but if you're just burning through the series for the first time you probably don't wanna drag his rear end around everywhere.

This is extremely wrong.

ME3 took the last surviving member of the previous reaper cycle and put him in a paid DLC. Lmao.

There are literally 4 or 5 ME3 story apologists in here posting garbage and you should assume they are either gimmicks or retarded.

But do buy ME3 and just play the multiplayer a bunch, it's the only redeeming quality of the game. However it's so redeeming it's worth the full purchase price.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also ME3 doesn't have an ultimate edition because it's loving garbage aside from the MP and wouldn't sell.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This is extremely wrong.

ME3 took the last surviving member of the previous reaper cycle and put him in a paid DLC. Lmao.

Yeah I don't actually give a poo poo about Javik either, I was just trying to be diplomatic.

quote:

But do buy ME3 and just play the multiplayer a bunch, it's the only redeeming quality of the game. However it's so redeeming it's worth the full purchase price.

Fortunately he already owns it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I like Javik purely because he winds Liara up so thoroughly. Taking him to Thessia is a highlight.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
*unsheathes katana*

"ME3 and vaping are good..."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't make me replay ME3 and take notes all the way through and then post them. Cuz I really don't want to do that. But this is the internet and some of you are very wrong and I need to rectify the situation.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I once hit that fucker with so many combos in quick succession that he glitched out and lay on the floor twitching instead of triggering the 'gunship and recharge' stuff.
I had to reload and suffer through him again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME3 was a very uneven game but it attempted to do something quite bold and actually end a franchise. But fans clamored for more alien sex and memes so now we're going to get the blandest most distilled form of that ever. Pre-order now and receive a catchphrase-loving AI companion aboard the Normandy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kai Leng is better in the books because he gets his legs broken.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't make me replay ME3 and take notes all the way through and then post them. Cuz I really don't want to do that. But this is the internet and some of you are very wrong and I need to rectify the situation.

Maybe if it was Witcher or an Obsidian production or heck even Dark Souls. But is a Bioware game really worth that kind of effort???

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe if it was Witcher or an Obsidian production or heck even Dark Souls. But is a Bioware game really worth that kind of effort???

Naw.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 was a very uneven game but it attempted to do something quite bold and actually end a franchise. But fans clamored for more alien sex and memes so now we're going to get the blandest most distilled form of that ever. Pre-order now and receive a catchphrase-loving AI companion aboard the Normandy.

Lol how noble of them to try and end a franchise by committing sepuku

(I still crack up at his idea that people were upset that ME3 didn't end the series on a happy or conventional note. People were upset because the ending was retarded)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

DAO was Biowares best game. This is undeniable. Baldurs Gate doesn't count because it was boring.

Haha What the gently caress is this terrible opinion?
The correct answer to that unasked question is either Mass Effect 2 or MDK 2.

ALso, Mass Effect 3 was pretty good, but they absofuckinglutely wasted Javik or Javek or whatever his name was.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 3, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

thorsilver posted:

Not really, there are just a few regulars with a lot of posts in this thread who keep saying the same hyperbolic things. Others are just poking fun at stuff. Obviously these people wouldn't care so much about Mass Effect if they thought the whole series was garbage and Bioware was trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

They weren't ever going to end the franchise.

Ending the story and saying goodbye to all the characters was still fairly bold though I guess. I mean Andromeda's not out yet so Liara could still be a major character or something, but even advertising the game as "new story, new galaxy, no returning characters or locations" isn't exactly the safest move. Though from the pre-release material they don't seem to want to distance themselves from previous games completely anyway, which is disappointing.