Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

That Grey Wizard looks like a perfect model for a Rincewind mod.

Reskin Skarsnik so Rincewind takes Skarsnik's place and The Luggage takes Gobbla's. Gobbla's attack animations should be perfect as is, lots of jumping and eating and stomping. Give him a really high missile parry, and ward save and no spells. Oh also make him the fastest infantry unit in game but he starts the battle broken and fleeing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if we're getting skaven, tomb kings and ogre kingdoms in the first game according to that accurate thus far russian datamine, are we looking at a complete roster of warhammer fantasy by game 2? that would leave game 3 open

open for age of sigmar :whitewater:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Percelus posted:

if we're getting skaven, tomb kings and ogre kingdoms in the first game according to that accurate thus far russian datamine, are we looking at a complete roster of warhammer fantasy by game 2? that would leave game 3 open

The datamine says nothing about what game the DLCs are for

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Percelus posted:

Can't wait to field my army of landmarines and face off against their (assumed) sworn enemy, the Slaughtermurder Bloodkillers.

The other races are there too.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Percelus posted:

Game two is probably going to be western and southern sides, giving us Skaven, High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Tomb Kings, with possibly Araby, Skeggi and Vampire Coast though probably not, they'll most likely be reskins of existing factions retooled as minor players, like Tilea/Estalia/Border Princes. Assume there will be wandering hordes of Greenskins and Beastmen in these new zones because those bastards get everywhere.

Game three will be the eastern side, giving us Chaos Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdoms, and maybe some new Vampire Count and Skaven sides. This will also give us a land route that bypasses Kislev for the wandering Chaos hordes to use on their way to destroy the Empire. And that leads to the final army, Daemons of Chaos. When the third game launches, it'll replace the Chaos Invasion with a new event called The End Times, where Beastmen, Chaos and Daemons all run amok together to try and destroy everything, because GW will have slipped a clause into their contract with CA that makes them have to acknowledge the End Times and Age of Sigmar.

This is purely speculation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Why not have both?

It would be too cheesy for me :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Carcer posted:

Its a little odd that dwarves aren't linked to some sort of animal. You'd think they'd get war-badgers or something.

In Kings of War (basically a take on Warhammer Fantasy by a bunch of people who used to work for GW that's hoovered up most of the Warhammer Fantasy players who didn't go into Age of Sigmar or a fan-based ruleset - or Total Warhammer, natch), Dwarves get both badger cavalry and Throwing Mastiffs.

Korgan posted:

Reskin Skarsnik so Rincewind takes Skarsnik's place and The Luggage takes Gobbla's. Gobbla's attack animations should be perfect as is, lots of jumping and eating and stomping. Give him a really high missile parry, and ward save and no spells. Oh also make him the fastest infantry unit in game but he starts the battle broken and fleeing. :v:

But the Luggage knows no fear!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Pictured: figurehead of a xenophobic minority faction destined to rebuild a dead Empire.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Throwing Mastiffs.

As in they throw the mastiff? :allears:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Pictured: figurehead of a xenophobic minority faction destined to rebuild a dead Empire.

You're thinking of Pepe the Frog, Apu Apustaja (help helpper) is his cousin that has a little trouble.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrayn posted:

There is some piece of poo poo goblin army running around in my territory, I sent an army after them but he stops just out of range. They sack the town they were about one town's worth of space out of reach of before (other side of my army), run AROUND my army, and still manage to be out of range next turn. I chase back after them and can't catch them, they run around me again and sack the same loving town and have enough movement left over to scamper off.

I had just loaded up the game and that's loving stupid so I reloaded. I chase them after they sack the town just like before but this time I send another army down to try stick in the town they are close to but it isn't big enough to comfortably take them on itself. The army doesn't make it to the town, but it's right next to it and my big army is within reinforcement range too. These fuckers attack my small army and have lightning strike so they barely win the battle. They have enough movement to run me down again, barely win AGAIN, then run the rest of the army down AGAIN. They are now just barely in range of my big army but I'm pretty sure it's just because there was a lake in the way preventing them from running further.

How the hell does this army have so much movement that it can sack towns and still run circles around my guys, and chase down an army three loving times? I'm sure there was some +campaign movement discrepancy because it was a level one lord I was using but 10-15% or so more movement isn't enough to just dance circles around him while also fighting. Doesn't fighting a battle use some movement up?

brutally cunning.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Comrayn posted:

There is some piece of poo poo goblin army running around in my territory, I sent an army after them but he stops just out of range. They sack the town they were about one town's worth of space out of reach of before (other side of my army), run AROUND my army, and still manage to be out of range next turn. I chase back after them and can't catch them, they run around me again and sack the same loving town and have enough movement left over to scamper off.

I had just loaded up the game and that's loving stupid so I reloaded. I chase them after they sack the town just like before but this time I send another army down to try stick in the town they are close to but it isn't big enough to comfortably take them on itself. The army doesn't make it to the town, but it's right next to it and my big army is within reinforcement range too. These fuckers attack my small army and have lightning strike so they barely win the battle. They have enough movement to run me down again, barely win AGAIN, then run the rest of the army down AGAIN. They are now just barely in range of my big army but I'm pretty sure it's just because there was a lake in the way preventing them from running further.

How the hell does this army have so much movement that it can sack towns and still run circles around my guys, and chase down an army three loving times? I'm sure there was some +campaign movement discrepancy because it was a level one lord I was using but 10-15% or so more movement isn't enough to just dance circles around him while also fighting. Doesn't fighting a battle use some movement up?

In this case you want to use Ambush stance to trick the AI into moving closer to a target of your choosing, then attack them before they can make their escape.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

summan electr countes pls

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So I really like the game, but the DLC seems very expensive. £6 for Beastmen seems OK but a lot of the other stuff like new Lords with special campaigns seems pricey. Can anyone convince me it's worth it (if it is?)

edit: or do CA end up bundling DLC eventually, or having a sale on them?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 3, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

So I really like the game, but the DLC seems very expensive. £6 for Beastmen seems OK but a lot of the other stuff like new Lords with special campaigns seems pricey. Can anyone convince me it's worth it (if it is?)

Its all about personal preference, some may see it as pricy, and some may not.

If it makes you feel any better CA seems to be commited to fill up any ranks that may be missing from a DLC for free, like how Beastmen are getting another Legendary Lord and an entirely new unit, Harpies.

They did the same with Chaos, adding in 3 new units. They've also stated that in the future they're most likely going back to revamp the faction as a whole.

All in all as a consumer of this product i am more than pleased thus far, shown by the frankly embarrasing amount of time ive invested in this game (its nearing 800 hours what is wrong with me).

Zephro posted:

This they do, but it usually takes a while after the product has been out, its up to you!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
OK, thanks. I might start with Beastmen and go from there :)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zephro posted:

There'll be sales eventually, but the most relevant question is "Do I want to play with these characters/units?". Because that's all the DLC boils down to. If you don't grab any DLC then you'll still get to see Skarsnik or Beastmen hanging out on the campaign map: you just won't be able to play as them (unless you can confederate their faction, which is something of a dice-toss)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks. I might start with Beastmen and go from there :)

Beastmen have a really fun campaign and are getting a new LL Lord and unit next week for free, so it's not a bad place to start by any means.

Malagor is one of my favorite caster lords, he just gets a lot of great stuff in his top row. Unholy Power gives him +30 magic reserves, which is huge. Crowfather makes him faster and lets him start every battle with Max Winds, which is also awesome. Something Wicked This Way Comes is -9 LD for all enemies in the same campaign region as him, it practically negates the AI's LD bonus on VH by itself. Get your free Cygor on the field and then spam Viletide and Devolve all day.

Khazrak is just a melee dude, but he's good. More interesting starting location and he's an infantry murdering machine on his chariot, especially with the poison whip. Not much is known about Morghur at this stage but he gets to start up North and will probably be the new best Beastmen lord.

Also always take the free Gorebull over the Bray-Shaman, Gorebulls are the best heroes in the game and hilariously powerful.

I've found both of the Lord Packs to actually be really good value, mostly because all the new units and Lords are really well put together. King and the Warlord is especially great because playing Skarsnik or Belegar is a totally different experience/challenge compared to playing normal Dwarves/Greenskins.

Grim and the Grave isn't as good as King of the Warlord, but it's worth it for Volkmar alone IMO, I love that dude and the generic Archlectors. Also Strigoi for the vampires and all the core units added for both factions are really useful.

Currently spazzing out waiting for Wood Elves though, they're looking like the best DLC yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
FWIW, the Lord Packs aren't really about the Lords, but the additional units and Regiments of Renown.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Mans posted:

summan electr countes pls

Maybe the elector counts are always rebelling because Franz keeps forcing them to march halfway across the empire for a meeting every other day,

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Beastmen have my favorite campaign in the game, but my problem with them is the same one I have with Chaos: having to spec out a LL with +growth and -upkeep skills to keep their horde strong.

Thank god for growing a horde with a generic lord and swapping in an LL later, though. Has anyone tried doing this right from the start and just forgoing LL's until your horde is at maximum growth?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Carcer posted:

As in they throw the mastiff? :allears:

Yep!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Korgan posted:

This is purely speculation.

We get 6 more DLC for this game, according to what's visible on steam or whatever, right?

My guess is the original plan was the datamined stuff but now they've probably changed course due to success and are adding a 4th game somewhere along the line. I'm guessing Tomb Kings are probably still in the pipeline and the rest will be lord packs, RoR and hopefully 1 or 2 of the non-Empire factions become playable. But I'd be surprised if we get 2 more race packs for this game.

The most likely thing is that they've decided to do another standalone game to cover the place where the Chaos Dwarves and Ogres lives. Which makes me sad because Ogres, CD and Skaven are my favorite factions by far so now I have no freaking idea when they might be coming.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Kroq-Gar meant to be some sort of pun like other Lizardmen?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think they said they're sticking to 4 races per big expansion, if that helps anyone theory craft. I doubt they'll include the south and the new world in the same expansion regardless

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Kroq-Gar meant to be some sort of pun like other Lizardmen?

Don't know, but he rides a carnosaur called Grymlok.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

fnordcircle posted:

We get 6 more DLC for this game, according to what's visible on steam or whatever, right?

My guess is the original plan was the datamined stuff but now they've probably changed course due to success and are adding a 4th game somewhere along the line. I'm guessing Tomb Kings are probably still in the pipeline and the rest will be lord packs, RoR and hopefully 1 or 2 of the non-Empire factions become playable. But I'd be surprised if we get 2 more race packs for this game.

The most likely thing is that they've decided to do another standalone game to cover the place where the Chaos Dwarves and Ogres lives. Which makes me sad because Ogres, CD and Skaven are my favorite factions by far so now I have no freaking idea when they might be coming.

Well sorta.

https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/

The two empire wizards took two slots, which means at this point there's only enough left to cover the other remaining FLC, ( Second Promo DLC+Bretts+New Vamp Lord+Old Friend=4) If we get anymore paid DLC (I'm sure we'll get at least one or two) they'll have to add them to Steam first.

As the other guy said though CA has also stated the next two games will have four races each so we'll probably not get anymore major races as DLC.

quote:

I think they said they're sticking to 4 races per big expansion, if that helps anyone theory craft. I doubt they'll include the south and the new world in the same expansion regardless

It's a pretty straight forward split except for Tomb Kings and maybe Skaven, since they are south of the Old World and could technically be slotted for either expansion. I'd bet on Skaven for game 2 just because they give Lizardmen a rival power, though.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 3, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Dark Elf/High Elf for naval/ocean rivalry and Lizardman/Skaven for New World rivalry is so logical that I would be stunned if they didn't do it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also Skaven have a lot of stuff going on that would warrant DLCs for them, probably more than any other faction that's not on the game already, so I expect them to be a main race.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Oh for gently caress's sake.

I'm more or less at the end of a Skarsnik campaign, and somehow I totally missed that the Karak Eight Peaks special building does more than let you build orcs. A lot more. Too bad everyone's dead and it takes 30 turns to complete.

Is it worth just ditching your starting area and making a beeline for Karak Eight Peaks? I spent so many turns playing whack-a-mole with whatever 3 factions declared war on me this turn that I didn't make it across the Badlands until turn 100+.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Yeah skaven have potential for multiple Clan-themed lord packs, which I'm sure CA is wont to do.

(queek headtaker in k8p please)

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Avasculous posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I'm more or less at the end of a Skarsnik campaign, and somehow I totally missed that the Karak Eight Peaks special building does more than let you build orcs. A lot more. Too bad everyone's dead and it takes 30 turns to complete.

Is it worth just ditching your starting area and making a beeline for Karak Eight Peaks? I spent so many turns playing whack-a-mole with whatever 3 factions declared war on me this turn that I didn't make it across the Badlands until turn 100+.

No because then you have to go fight in the badlands which is way less fun than being in between the Empire, Brets, and dwarfs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the weakest thing about this game is honestly how poo poo the world map is. It's not CA's fault though; Warhammer suffers from the same lame fantasy map design as a million other franchises. Put some hills and rivers in there dammit.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the weakest thing about this game is honestly how poo poo the world map is. It's not CA's fault though; Warhammer suffers from the same lame fantasy map design as a million other franchises. Put some hills and rivers in there dammit.

The map itself is fine and the terrain is fully featured but pretty much every campaign happens in the same few areas of the map. You're either fighting over Stirland area or the Badlands for most of every game. The badlands are way too dense IMO--you don't need all those separate shithole provinces in the south really. I hate fighting in whatever the southernmost 3 provinces are.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I finally actually made that Shock Cavalry pistolier mod. It hasn't been extensively tested, but it's just a straightforward stat change so shouldn't break.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=811496981

It gives pistoliers a decent charge bonus, and slightly better melee stats so that they operate as light, fast shock cavalry. Like Centigors, but a bit weaker and cheaper.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The trait system is kinda annoying in this game, at least when your Legendary Lord develops into an unjust, crazed kleptocrat. The tried and true strategy of having them rush a doomstack alone in their underwear doesn't work like it did in previous games.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Aurubin posted:

The trait system is kinda annoying in this game, at least when your Legendary Lord develops into an unjust, crazed kleptocrat. The tried and true strategy of having them rush a doomstack alone in their underwear doesn't work like it did in previous games.

On the other hand, if you never execute anyone and do the money option all the time, your dudes can consistently become kind and get global public order bonuses. Don't know if there are factions where this doesn't work, like Greenskins or something.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

On the other hand, if you never execute anyone and do the money option all the time, your dudes can consistently become kind and get global public order bonuses. Don't know if there are factions where this doesn't work, like Greenskins or something.

Huh, I just figured it was random. I usually roleplay a bit and execute rebels, orcs, undead, and chaos while sparing humans and dwarfs when playing Empire/Dwarfs. Considering who you usually fight for most of the game, this explains why my traits were skewing in a particular direction. As the other factions I just kill/eat everybody and if my guy develops into a dick, it seems in character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zephro posted:

I would actually recommend the two smaller unit packs over something like the Beastmen as a first purchase. They both add a bunch of interesting new units, and I have to admit that the Angrund and Crooked Moon campaigns are my two favorites right now. But that's only my personal view.

• Locked thread