Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Slugworth posted:

A steak with seasoning you thought you'd like when you read the menu but didn't is different than a steak that was not prepared properly.

A movie that you thought you'd like based on trailers but didn't is different than one that was unwatchable due to technical errors like a broken projector.

I still think the steak to movie comparison is not the best. But whatever, I'm a jerk.

I watched Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (not in theaters) and it was bad. At one point in the movie you can see the stage lighting and a camera on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jenner posted:

I still think the steak to movie comparison is not the best. But whatever, I'm a jerk.

I watched Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (not in theaters) and it was bad. At one point in the movie you can see the stage lighting and a camera on screen.

You could've watched an open matte version of it. For some movies, when they crop it for television, they're actually just taking off the 2.35 or 1.78 mattes to open up the picture. I forgot what tv show it was, but when they were remastering it for HD, they had the reverse problem, where they took off the 1:33 matte to open up the picture for 1.78 and you could see all the production magic going on off to the side of the frame. They had to paint out lights and equipment, or actors standing just off camera waiting for the marker cue when all that stuff was revealed when they opened up the matte. It may have been for the remastering of Sopranos, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

You can see all the production lighting on Evil Dead 2, yet no one ever brings that up when talking about production equipment taking you out of a movie. They didn't even bother hiding the film gear in a lot of scenes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

You could've watched an open matte version of it. For some movies, when they crop it for television, they're actually just taking off the 2.35 or 1.78 mattes to open up the picture. I forgot what tv show it was, but when they were remastering it for HD, they had the reverse problem, where they took off the 1:33 matte to open up the picture for 1.78 and you could see all the production magic going on off to the side of the frame. They had to paint out lights and equipment, or actors standing just off camera waiting for the marker cue when all that stuff was revealed when they opened up the matte. It may have been for the remastering of Sopranos, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

You can see all the production lighting on Evil Dead 2, yet no one ever brings that up when talking about production equipment taking you out of a movie. They didn't even bother hiding the film gear in a lot of scenes.

This reminds me of when Malcolm in the Middle got put online for streaming and put it up widescreen. The problem was the show wasn't filmed that way so you'd get shots with stand in actors instead of the actual actor, half empty sets, and so on.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I saw Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in a theater and other people walked out. I was like 11 and too dumb to realize what a lovely movie I sat all the way through.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite example of this is in the 1983 Sean Penn movie, Bad Boys. During the climactic final fight scene between Sean Penn and Esai Morales, there's this great shot.

I didn't notice the camera man until maybe a few years ago, and by that time, I must've seen the movie a million billion times. I still gloss over him sometimes during the scene, the drama between the two leads is so thick in that scene, it blurs everything else out.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 3, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jenner posted:

Oh, it definitely is, I was just pointing out the flaw in the internal logic of the already weak analogy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

I know when The X-Files first appeared on Netflix many episodes had this issue.

Jenner posted:

Oh man this movie. Even huge budget super polished flicks have moments where for a very brief second you can see a reflection of a camera or something, but in Annihilation, like, okay there's a point where Shao Khan is pissed at one of his lackeys, Ermac, so he throws them into a fiery pit to kill them. Towards the end of the movie there's a fight scene in that same chamber between Liu Kang and Baraka. Ermac is basically a purple ninja like in a Godfrey Ho movie. Baraka is a dude wearing a Nosferatu mask from a Halloween store with some extra junk added onto it. The fight ends with Liu Kang knocking Baraka into that same fiery pit, but they wanted to save money so as soon as it cuts to the pit they just show Ermac falling into it again instead. I know it's a cheap movie but there's some super idiotic shortcut like that in almost every major scene, it's crazy.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Neo Rasa posted:

I know when The X-Files first appeared on Netflix many episodes had this issue.

Oh man this movie. Even huge budget super polished flicks have moments where for a very brief second you can see a reflection of a camera or something, but in Annihilation, like, okay there's a point where Shao Khan is pissed at one of his lackeys, Ermac, so he throws them into a fiery pit to kill them. Towards the end of the movie there's a fight scene in that same chamber between Liu Kang and Baraka. Ermac is basically a purple ninja like in a Godfrey Ho movie. Baraka is a dude wearing a Nosferatu mask from a Halloween store with some extra junk added onto it. The fight ends with Liu Kang knocking Baraka into that same fiery pit, but they wanted to save money so as soon as it cuts to the pit they just show Ermac falling into it again instead. I know it's a cheap movie but there's some super idiotic shortcut like that in almost every major scene, it's crazy.

This is amazing. :allears:

ruddiger posted:

My favorite example of this is in the 1983 Sean Penn movie, Bad Boys. During the climactic final fight scene between Sean Penn and Esai Morales, there's this great shot.

I didn't notice the camera man until maybe a few years ago, and by that time, I must've seen the movie a million billion times. I still gloss over him sometimes during the scene, the drama between the two leads is so thick in that scene, it blurs everything else out.

It actually took me a moment to notice him even in the still picture. It's amazing that he is just so brazenly right there but your eyes gloss right over him.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the intro to The Dark Knight you can see the camera helicopter reflected in the building that gets the window blown out I think, my old roommate used to annoyingly point it out whenever it came on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jenner posted:

lol i also saw this in theatres and didn't walk out of it. dear lord i've seen some garbage.

Neo Rasa posted:

ummm ermac is red, you'll find the purple ninja is "rain".

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

That's not even aliens though. This is lovely sci fi horror drama movie they had to attach the Alien name too.

There are far worse movies. Round of applause for the people who watched the entire dancing scene from Spiderman 3.

So is this pretty much the wrong-est post ever?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i also saw this in theatres and didn't walk out of it. dear lord i've seen some garbage.

ummm ermac is red, you'll find the purple ninja is "rain".

Hi-five fellow sat through Annihilation in theaters buddy. :whatup:

I feel really stupid for mixing up the colors of Ermac and Purple Rain. It says a lot about the movie that they were both in it and I can't even remember which one got killed in that scene.

OMG I just remembered something else amazing about that part. When Liu Kang first enters the chamber Baraka swings across his path on a chain, arm-blades extended, and....completely whiffs by like five feet like he just totally misses him. Seconds pass, he swings by AGAIN and completely misses. At this point Kitana warns Liu Kang that it's a trap. :haw:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So is this pretty much the wrong-est post ever?

It's on the list but the bar is set quite high.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I am about to watch Prometheus. See you all on the other side.

Neo Rasa posted:

Hi-five fellow sat through Annihilation in theaters buddy. :whatup:

I feel really stupid for mixing up the colors of Ermac and Purple Rain. It says a lot about the movie that they were both in it and I can't even remember which one got killed in that scene.

OMG I just remembered something else amazing about that part. When Liu Kang first enters the chamber Baraka swings across his path on a chain, arm-blades extended, and....completely whiffs by like five feet like he just totally misses him. Seconds pass, he swings by AGAIN and completely misses. At this point Kitana warns Liu Kang that it's a trap. :haw:

Mortal Kombat has so many ninjas that look exactly like Scorpion but a different color (and a different power) though so I don't really blame you.

I forgot about the Baraka part. MK: Annihilation is art.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I still hate my younger self for spending allowance money on that poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jenner posted:

I am about to watch Prometheus. See you all on the other side.

Mortal Kombat has so many ninjas that look exactly like Scorpion but a different color (and a different power) though so I don't really blame you.

I forgot about the Baraka part. MK: Annihilation is art.

the guy who played motaro is in one of those fmv sega cd games.

also the best part is when the place jax was being built in blows up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh that reminds me of one more thing! They cast people with zero martial prowess to play all the main characters except for Robin Shou, but cast a real deal experienced stuntwoman to play Sheeva and had her literally stand around and do nothing for the whole movie like why is she even there?

The best parts of the movie are Raiden flipping out of a photograph of the part of the Petra Cliffs where they filmed Last Crusade to exclaim "Never lose hope!" and also the entire Jax self-esteem sub-plot leading up to the "Mr. Ed is mine" scene.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MK Annihilation would have been improved immensely if Motaro was pooping every second he was on screen. Just piles of poop hat the other characters start slipping in and Motaro beats Jax when Jax slips on some poop and breaks his neck.

Horses poop a lot

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I really didn't expect the Alien 3 thread would result in me wanting to watch Mortal Kombat Annihilation but, yet, here we are :jerry:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

david_a posted:

I really didn't expect the Alien 3 thread would result in me wanting to watch Mortal Kombat Annihilation but, yet, here we are :jerry:

You have made a good decision and you will have no regrets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jenner posted:

You have made a good decision and you will have no regrets.
It turns out the library doesn't have a copy of it for some mysterious reason so I'm saved :toot:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

It's on Netflix

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

david_a posted:

It turns out the library doesn't have a copy of it for some mysterious reason so I'm saved :toot:

This is tragic.

oldpainless posted:

It's on Netflix

A hero arrives and the day is saved.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation "Directors Cut" Was loving Awesome

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

oldpainless posted:

It's on Netflix
:stonklol: :ohdear:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I strongly recommend Mortal Kombat: Annihilation over Alien Resurrection.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

I strongly recommend Mortal Kombat: Annihilation over Alien Resurrection.

Yeah same, actually.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
MK: Annihilation is a very bad movie, but it is a very bad movie that I will always have a soft spot for because it's just so loving hilarious.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Just finished MK Annihilation! Much better than it should have been because A) it knows you're not interested in wasting the first third of the movie on boring setup and B) it has an adorably sincere devotion to all the palette-swapped ninjas/robots and other bullshit from the games. And hey, it's still better than the TV series!

I think the IMDB trivia page is my favorite thing from the movie:

quote:

The song playing while Kitana and Liu Kang are traveling through the tunnels is also the song the Jim Levinsteen strips to in American Pie (1999).

quote:

If adding up all back-flips, front-flips, and side-flips together there are a total of 54 of them present in the film.

quote:

Kitana and Mileena are not twins because Mileena has blue eyes, but Kitana are brown eyes.

To bring it vaguely back on topic - poor James Remar. Getting fired from Aliens to replacing Christopher Lambert in an MK sequel a decade later. Rough.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
MK Annihilation is a hyped up, sugar addled child making up his version of the mortal kombat story as his exhausted parents try to get him to sleep. It's why they use tunnels to traverse half the world, which are immediately forgotten, even though they spend the whole movie wandering around, why characters just pop up, then vanish (because the child is desperately trying to cram every character in) and why scenes just sort of...happen.
The best bit of the movie is Rain's death. Rain tells Evil Badguy McEndBoss that they've captured two earth warriors. McEndBoss asks if they were made to suffer. Rain just says "But master..." before McEndboss screams "I have no use for excuses!" then kills him, without ever actually clarifying what it was Rain was actually trying to excuse.
It's the best.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Me reading your posts

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

MK Annihilation is a hyped up, sugar addled child making up his version of the mortal kombat story as his exhausted parents try to get him to sleep. It's why they use tunnels to traverse half the world, which are immediately forgotten, even though they spend the whole movie wandering around, why characters just pop up, then vanish (because the child is desperately trying to cram every character in) and why scenes just sort of...happen.
The best bit of the movie is Rain's death. Rain tells Evil Badguy McEndBoss that they've captured two earth warriors. McEndBoss asks if they were made to suffer. Rain just says "But master..." before McEndboss screams "I have no use for excuses!" then kills him, without ever actually clarifying what it was Rain was actually trying to excuse.
It's the best.

I remember this, for some reason Shao Khan considers is a huge failure if you don't make people sufficiently beg for mercy before killing them?

But then he doesn't give Rain a chance to beg for mercy before killing him so I guess it's okay when the president does it lol

oldpainless posted:

Me reading your posts

See these spikes on his elbows? I was always fascinated by how they went the extra mile on the makeup for those when you see them for like two seconds. I mean it's more detailed and spiky than the actual Motaro model they made for the game, the effects people just love spikes that much. I know this because I remember seeing a making of of the first Mortal Kombat movie and the CG people were *SUPER PROUD* of how they digitally made the hilly island they shot as Shang Tsung's island extra spiky and jagged by digitally exaggerating every slope and hill on it into basically a really tall triangle. It looked like poo poo even when it was new and they forgot to actually add this effect into every shot so the island looks completely different in almost every establishing shot.

Another great thing about Annihilation is how at the beginning when Shao Khan comes out he grabs Johnny Cage and Christopher Lambert James Remar is like "if you harm him I will take your generals" and he captures like all of Shao Khan's flunkies at once in a painful looking ball of lightning like he can just drop them at any time no effort because he's Raiden the god of thunder and guardian of earth and stuff. So Shao Khan kills Johnny Cage and Raiden....just sort of does nothing and lets them all go?

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGT-bAK1Xg4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember this, for some reason Shao Khan considers is a huge failure if you don't make people sufficiently beg for mercy before killing them?

But then he doesn't give Rain a chance to beg for mercy before killing him so I guess it's okay when the president does it lol

See these spikes on his elbows? I was always fascinated by how they went the extra mile on the makeup for those when you see them for like two seconds. I mean it's more detailed and spiky than the actual Motaro model they made for the game, the effects people just love spikes that much. I know this because I remember seeing a making of of the first Mortal Kombat movie and the CG people were *SUPER PROUD* of how they digitally made the hilly island they shot as Shang Tsung's island extra spiky and jagged by digitally exaggerating every slope and hill on it into basically a really tall triangle. It looked like poo poo even when it was new and they forgot to actually add this effect into every shot so the island looks completely different in almost every establishing shot.

Another great thing about Annihilation is how at the beginning when Shao Khan comes out he grabs Johnny Cage and Christopher Lambert James Remar is like "if you harm him I will take your generals" and he captures like all of Shao Khan's flunkies at once in a painful looking ball of lightning like he can just drop them at any time no effort because he's Raiden the god of thunder and guardian of earth and stuff. So Shao Khan kills Johnny Cage and Raiden....just sort of does nothing and lets them all go?

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGT-bAK1Xg4

to be fair, I'm pretty sure Annihilation came out around the same time as Mortal Kombat Trilogy, which put about as much thought into its story and characters as the movie did. The guys at Midway/Netherrealm have done a very good job recently of curating the awful poo poo they did in the late 90s and making it not poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MY NAME'S JACKSON BRIGGS. YOU GOT AN INCREDIBLE SET OF LEGS. FOR KICKIN' I MEAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrg2luTZts

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: 1m34s Raiden's sudden appearance here is still one of my favorite things in the entire Mortal Kombat franchise. :laffo: :laffo: :laffo:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was probably the first time I watched a film that I thought was truly terrible (I was 13). I liked plenty of things that I now realise were awful.

Even worse, me and a friend rented it along with The Crow 2: City of Angels. So that was the second time I watched a film that I thought was truly terrible.

And now for some reason I'm tempted to watch both of them again for the first time since then. Thanks a lot, thread :mad:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
This nightmarish derail has burst out of this thread's chest like... I dunno, something

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was probably the first time I watched a film that I thought was truly terrible (I was 13). I liked plenty of things that I now realise were awful.

Even worse, me and a friend rented it along with The Crow 2: City of Angels. So that was the second time I watched a film that I thought was truly terrible.

And now for some reason I'm tempted to watch both of them again for the first time since then. Thanks a lot, thread :mad:

Which Crow movie was Marc Dacascos in? I still think Marc used to get work because short sighted, vaguely racist producers couldn't tell him and Brandon Lee apart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Which Crow movie was Marc Dacascos in? I still think Marc used to get work because short sighted, vaguely racist producers couldn't tell him and Brandon Lee apart.

I think maybe he was in the t.v. show?

Marc Dacascos playing the chairman in the U.S. version of Iron Chef will forever be his greatest role.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

brocked posted:

This nightmarish derail has burst out of this thread's chest like... I dunno, something

It's better than talking about trying to scam a couple bucks out of a movie theater or passing judgment on a movie you half-watched/remembered like that's something to be proud of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
As a compromise derail, in order to both stay off topic and yet talk about Alien how about we discuss about the Alien videogames? There have been a shocking number of them, including a light-gun-on-rails title for Alien 3 specifically in the early 90's. You played as a convict trying to escape the prison, only you had guns and also had a bad time because it was terrible even by the standards of the genre.

On the good side we have Alien Isolation, released a couple years ago that is essentially fan service dedicated to the first Alien in both look and tone (though the protagonist is Ellen Ripley's daughter, borrowing from Aliens). That was, and is, a genuinely creepy game done well, and if you are a superfan of the first Alien and haven't played it you owe it to yourself to play at least the mini-expansion they released for it that duplicates the Nostromo and lets you play as one of the crew.

On the bad side we have...so many. Colonial Marines is kind of a video game poster child for terrible games. The first Alien game I remember was for the Atari 2600 (yes I am old) which was also pretty terrible as I remember, and not because it was built on primitive technology.

Somewhere in the middle we have the Alien vs. Predator games, which resulted in some pretty decent titles (and some mediocre ones) and a mediocre movie along with a terrible one.

However my favorite Alien game, outside of Isolation, is the free mod for the original Doom which came out around 96 or 97. Fox eventually shut it down but for what it was it is a hell of a lot of fun. That's mostly nostalgia on my part, maybe, but I liked it.

Discuss away.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 5, 2016