Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do we have the best whiskey drinkers or the most whiskey drinkers? I need to now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kurtofan posted:

do we have the best whiskey drinkers or the most whiskey drinkers? I need to now!

Highest per‐capita consumption.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Vox uploaded a video explaining map projections.

It features that clip from The West Wing, so I refuse to link to it. Can the Peters projection just die already?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Really surprised Peach isn't there for Georgia. Maybe having two hundred streets with Peach in the name is an Atlanta only thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
american street names are so boring

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kurtofan posted:

As an old-school C programmer, I mostly lament the lack of names like "0th Avenue".

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kurtofan posted:

When your (European-settled) urban history only goes back 300 years, 100-200 for large swaths of the country, you're going to get boring grids with boring names.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Antti posted:

When your (European-settled) urban history only goes back 300 years, 100-200 for large swaths of the country, you're going to get boring grids with boring names.

Oh come on y'all aren't even trying

Even Guiana managed it (my bad cropping and google map's reticence to show street names at this scale notwithstanding)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antti posted:

I'm not sure I buy this excuse. Boring grid, sure, since you'd be less likely to have a historical city/town to expand from, but you could have come up with more exciting names. I mean, the layout of a lot of cities and towns in Europe is from the late 19th century and forward too, either because the town was literally just a village before that or because the historical city was demolished in favor of a healthier city plan. It's not even like America doesn't know how to name streets after famous citizens, geographic features, other towns, animals, and whatever either, it just got boring at some point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If your town doesn’t have a Gropecunt Lane, it isn’t even trying.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hell a lot of french street names are post ww2 stuff

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Echo Chamber posted:

Vox uploaded a video explaining map projections.

It features that clip from The West Wing, so I refuse to link to it. Can the Peters projection just die already?

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that clip is loving horrible and the Peters projection is moronic. This from somebody who does believe Mercator has had a real and lasting negative effect on the perception of the world's geography by the general public and that part of its popularity has at times come from nationalism/racism. It's a right that should be wronged, but not with complete bullshit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mercator is the only sensible projection, I say this as an old timey sailor.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Naming streets after numbers does have a nice comforting logic to it, especially if it's just a boring grid system. Being on 4th and 8th and having to get to 10th and 3rd or however it is this actually works appeals to my nerd-brain much more than if you were trying to get to Elm and Maple from Dogwood and Tree Species Lane or whatever. This is why you don't let mathematicians plan cities, I guess.

Platystemon posted:

I would have made it a gradient of a single hue, though.

It isn't already? I admit I am a bit colourblind but that gradient might as well be a uniform block of colour for all I can tell. If it wasn't for the numbers I couldn't tell you where the colour that e.g. Russia is on that map is meant to fall on their scale.

why did god give me such lovely eyes

e: i zoomed in and there's a very slight difference. I think. maybe i'm just imagining things

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Angepain posted:

It isn't already? I admit I am a bit colourblind but that gradient might as well be a uniform block of colour for all I can tell. If it wasn't for the numbers I couldn't tell you where the colour that e.g. Russia is on that map is meant to fall on their scale.
That's what you get for being a dude.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
rename all marconi streets to bell streets

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's what you get for being a dude.

i would join the red pill now to fight against this matriarchal oppression but I can't reliably distinguish the colour red so :(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pakled posted:

And what's "least police" doing in the "nasty" category?

I don't have the energy to make a lmgtfy link, so I'll let you in on the secret: poo poo in El Salvador is all hosed up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Antti posted:

Really surprised Peach isn't there for Georgia. Maybe having two hundred streets with Peach in the name is an Atlanta only thing.

I bet half of those being Peachtree instead splits it up. :v:

grancheater posted:

Even Guiana managed it (my bad cropping and google map's reticence to show street names at this scale notwithstanding)

Come on what? You just posted some street grids with names of what, famous politicians and saints? And dates? That sort of stuff is all over American city street names, albeit less with the dates.

There's also that lists of the most common name in any given jurisdiction are rarely going to be the most interesting names. Like for instance, in the original article, their appendix with numbers of streets for each state shows that 451 of the streets in New York are just "Park" something right? But there's like tens of thousands of named streets and roads across the state, possibly almost 100,000, so in the end you don't see the name that much.

Check out the names in my nearby area:

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 3, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Controversial opinion: Grid cities are easier to navigate and sequentially-numbered (or lettered) streets make it easier to get around if you're not overly familiar with the area.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Controversial opinion: Grid cities are easier to navigate and sequentially-numbered (or lettered) streets make it easier to get around if you're not overly familiar with the area.
Which will give you less cause to interact with the locals. Grid cities with sequentially numbered streets are pro-segregationist.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Angepain posted:

why did god give me such lovely eyes

e: i zoomed in and there's a very slight difference. I think. maybe i'm just imagining things
The gradient of the key is red to green. The colors on the map are apparently picked from a gradient going red-yellow-green. Nothing but fully red or fully green can match between the two.

I'm sorry about the severity of your handicap.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How many towns in the EU are just a saint's name? Or saint's name-preposition-nearby landmark.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

They're boring as poo poo. Give me neighborhoods where streets are an organic, pre-automobile tangle and you have to live there for at least 18 months before you stop getting lost all the time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're boring as poo poo. Give me neighborhoods where streets are an organic, pre-automobile tangle and you have to live there for at least 18 months before you stop getting lost all the time.

They're only boring if the area's boring. NYC's fun as hell and it's gridded to hell and back.

Excessive twisty turniness for its own sake just makes a place feel like a lovely 50s suburb, and makes it difficult to get around by anything but car.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'd rather be bored and at my destination than lost in a folksy maze.

Anyway, for most of us outside of Olde Europe or Boston, the alternative to grid cities are modern feeder road and cul-de-sac neighborhoods which were invented by the devil himself to thwart good urban planning.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

How many towns in the EU are just a saint's name? Or saint's name-preposition-nearby landmark.

Because of the evolution of language, nobody knows for sure what a great deal of town names in Europe actually mean. I'm pretty sure that most, including the ones we don't know the meaning of, are toponymic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

fishmech posted:

They're only boring if the area's boring. NYC's fun as hell and it's gridded to hell and back.

Excessive twisty turniness for its own sake just makes a place feel like a lovely 50s suburb, and makes it difficult to get around by anything but car.

That's not what I was talking about at all.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

grancheater posted:

It's easy when you can name pretty much every street after some random politician, military leader or other person, as frequently happens in Latin countries. American street names are surprisingly varied as long as you live anywhere other than a small town, and even there only half the streets will be numbered (the other half are usually named after trees or the Founding Fathers).

Oh, and in case you're wondering why "2nd" is most common in some places, it's because people will name the primary street any sort of thing (Main, Center, State, Front) and then switch to numbering the rest.

So yeah, just ask me about street names around the world and all the crazy ways people write them. I literally work with them every day for my job. :sludgepal:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 4, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Counterpoint getting lost is stressful

Weembles posted:

I'd rather be bored and at my destination than lost in a folksy maze.
Yeah I'm with this guy. I don't drive for the sake of driving, I drive to get where I'm going. It's a means to an end.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Counterpoint getting lost is stressful

Yeah I'm with this guy. I don't drive for the sake of driving, I drive to get where I'm going. It's a means to an end.
You should weep, for the grid has destroyed your sense of direction.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So yeah, just ask me about street names around the world and all the crazy ways people write them. I literally work with them every day for my job. :sludgepal:

I've heard that Japan sometimes reverses the figure-ground distinction, so to speak. Here in the west, the streets are named, and the blocks are just kind of the spaces between the streets. But in Japan, the blocks are sometimes what's named, and the streets are just the spaces around them. Is there any truth to that?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Powered Descent posted:

I've heard that Japan sometimes reverses the figure-ground distinction, so to speak. Here in the west, the streets are named, and the blocks are just kind of the spaces between the streets. But in Japan, the blocks are sometimes what's named, and the streets are just the spaces around them. Is there any truth to that?

Yes.

http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/addressingUnit/jpnEn.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_addressing_system#Address_parts

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Living in the Boston area, I would kill for a proper grid.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Instead of numbers may I offer naming your streets after states?

Or important people?

Or maybe just do whatever.

Or you could be extremely useful.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I've been there five times and each time have been utterly perplexed by any address I've been given. Thank god for Google Maps.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Instead of numbers may I offer naming your streets after states?

I only support this if they've included West West Virginia and East West Virginia streets

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which will give you less cause to interact with the locals. Grid cities with sequentially numbered streets are pro-segregationist.

unlikely, most grid towns with 1st, 2nd, 3rd streets in america are in the midwest which are ivory white. if you really want to be segregationist you change the street names at the color line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baron Corbyn posted:

Because of the evolution of language, nobody knows for sure what a great deal of town names in Europe actually mean. I'm pretty sure that most, including the ones we don't know the meaning of, are toponymic.

It's the same thing in most of the US, only there's the additional layer of "we named this after an existing European or Native name (and we don't know what that name actually means)".

:v: