Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hahahahaha

wow, I would totally say gently caress Trails of Cold Steel if I didn't have 2 immediately available to play. Are you loving kidding me with that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Tae posted:

Hahahahaha

wow, I would totally say gently caress Trails of Cold Steel if I didn't have 2 immediately available to play. Are you loving kidding me with that ending.

I didn't touch Cold Steel I until I had Cold Steel II. About 50% into Cold Steel II and quit because now I have to wait for Cold Steel III in 5-6 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Hahahahaha

Let me tell you about Trails in the Sky's middle finger of a cliffhanger. People were waiting over 4 years for Second Chapter, and generally accepted it was never ever happening for most of it.

Cold Steel's at least wraps up its own story and gives you answers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm confused, does Steel 2 not end the story?

And I didn't really like the final chapter as a whole. They jammed so much in a haphazard way, and the ending to 1 was the most abrupt thing possible short of shutting down my computer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tae posted:

No, CS2 absolutely has a proper conclusion. There are a few big new ominous questions but no cliffhangers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

No, CS2 absolutely has a proper conclusion. There are a few big new ominous questions but no cliffhangers.

So CSIII is going to be like Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter? Except keeping the same protagonist, I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I don't really agree with this. It resolves some major plot threads but it still is pretty much a "there's more coming" ending

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

On a scale of Empire Strikes Back to Trails in the Sky SC, what is trails 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

On a scale of Empire Strikes Back to Trails in the Sky SC, what is trails 2

It is A New Hope to ToCS1's ESB.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is the Citizen Kane of Back to the Futures

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Really Pants posted:

it is the Citizen Kane of Back to the Futures

eastwood was the gorge :vince:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
idk but I'm sure the past 5 pages is all about ToCS

I'm still waiting for the third Sky game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not all games have it, but some will let you soft reset by pressing L, R, and Start together.
Pokemon does have it, if that's the specific game you're asking about, but in general I'd just try this combination and see if it works!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not all games have it, but some will let you soft reset by pressing L, R, and Start together.

Thankfully, it turns out Fire Emblem Fates is one of them! Thanks a lot.

Okay, second question. Can two people who would have kids of their own have two kids? I'm playing through Birthright and Revelations now and I'm trying to actually recruit more of the kids this time around but I'm trying to not mess things like that up and end up missing one of the kids because I stuck the wrong people together. I don't think Kaze's kid is going to show up, since I paired him up with Azura.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

RareAcumen posted:

Thankfully, it turns out Fire Emblem Fates is one of them! Thanks a lot.

Okay, second question. Can two people who would have kids of their own have two kids? I'm playing through Birthright and Revelations now and I'm trying to actually recruit more of the kids this time around but I'm trying to not mess things like that up and end up missing one of the kids because I stuck the wrong people together. I don't think Kaze's kid is going to show up, since I paired him up with Azura.

Don't worry; if each character in a pairing can have a kid, you'll get both kids. However, note that Kaze is kind of a special case in Birthright; his kid won't show up until after a certain chapter, because it's possible for him to leave the party permanently in Chapter 15 if he doesn't have an A support with the Avatar.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So CSIII is going to be like Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter? Except keeping the same protagonist, I guess.

I kind of wonder even about that, since the first ingame image we've seen of Cold Steel 3 is Alisa standing in front of the Bracer Guild in Crossbell. I wouldn't be surprised if Alisa is the protagonist of 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

And I didn't really like the final chapter as a whole. They jammed so much in a haphazard way, and the ending to 1 was the most abrupt thing possible short of shutting down my computer.
CS2 wraps up our protagonists' immediate problems and issues, but the world keeps turning and there's only so much influence a group of teenagers can have upon said turning when all is said and done. It's a much better ending than CS1, at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Don't worry; if each character in a pairing can have a kid, you'll get both kids. However, note that Kaze is kind of a special case in Birthright; his kid won't show up until after a certain chapter, because it's possible for him to leave the party permanently in Chapter 15 if he doesn't have an A support with the Avatar.

Yeah, he's loving dead and I had no idea that one was coming. Good to know on a second playthrough, I suppose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, just beat the final boss in CS2 and What. The. gently caress!? :suspense:

I... just... But... I ... :stare:

Also I think the game froze after the endgame cutscene as it's hanging on a black screen, but I don't wanna touch it in case I gotta do it all over again :negative:.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It didn't freeze, it just takes a long time to transition for some reason. Give it 5-10 minutes.

And yeah that sequence of events was kind of nuts!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

It didn't freeze, it just takes a long time to transition for some reason. Give it 5-10 minutes.

And yeah that sequence of events was kind of nuts!

Too late :negative:.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, just beat the final boss in CS2 and What. The. gently caress!? :suspense:

I... just... But... I ... :stare:

Now that you've completed the CS2 finale, go back through CS1 real quick and count all the times an Ironblood was conveniently on hand to help Rean out of a jam. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That sucks, though I don't really blame you for thinking it had crashed. The only reason I didn't reset it myself is that I had seen something similar posted in the Falcom thread.

Could be worse though, I had a hard crash in Trails in the Sky SC during one of the final battles which was a huge bummer because the initial fight in that sequence is super hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

Now that you've completed the CS2 finale, go back through CS1 real quick and count all the times an Ironblood was conveniently on hand to help Rean out of a jam. :v:

Oh yeah :stare:. Also, speaking of the final boss; I don't mind the whole B-Team starter as a concept, but it should not have been an absolute crushing mess of a shitfest. It's at the end of a dungeon where you've more than likely been focusing your preferred group through the entire length, and really should've been little more than a courtesy before the proper grueling throwdown with your main team.

Nate RFB posted:

That sucks, though I don't really blame you for thinking it had crashed. The only reason I didn't reset it myself is that I had seen something similar posted in the Falcom thread.

I am so, so thankful that Falcom are at least courteous enough to stick an arbitrary savepoint midway at places like long cutscenes or just before the actual final bossfight.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You should get through that black screen so you can stop calling that thing the final boss, btw.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yeah :stare:. Also, speaking of the final boss; I don't mind the whole B-Team starter as a concept, but it should not have been an absolute crushing mess of a shitfest. It's at the end of a dungeon where you've more than likely been focusing your preferred group through the entire length, and really should've been little more than a courtesy before the proper grueling throwdown with your main team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the game tell you straight out that the first round is whoever's in the last party slot, along with everyone who's on the bench? Just stick Laura in that seventh slot and have her two-shot the fucker like usual.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the game tell you straight out that the first round is whoever's in the last party slot, along with everyone who's on the bench? Just stick Laura in that seventh slot and have her two-shot the fucker like usual.

Sure, but that doesn't help poo poo like Vermillion Despair Vanishing multiple party members. Especially when he casts it twice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
TitS FC was pretty bad with the cliffhanger but mostly because when I finished it, word on the Internet was that SC was never going to be localized. It had a moderately satisfying ending to the story it told, but then dropped a big "but wait there's so much more" right at the end. If I'd known the next title would be out in a year or even two, it would have been a lot easier to swallow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nier Automata 3.7.2017 for the West. Nino Kuni 2 seems to go to a standard party-based action combat with characters instead of pokemon esque.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nier looks good and I can't wait for taro's awful story

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Nier Automata 3.7.2017 for the West. Nino Kuni 2 seems to go to a standard party-based action combat with characters instead of pokemon esque.

Well there goes literally the only thing I liked about the first game.

:sigh:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wasn't the combat the most panned part of nnk1

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Zore posted:

Well there goes literally the only thing I liked about the first game.

:sigh:

What........the gently caress!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the pokemon combat was the thing that made ni no kuni terrible

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I will try ni no kuni after finishing trails 2, unless it's somehow 3 times longer than trails 1.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I will try ni no kuni after finishing trails 2, unless it's somehow 3 times longer than trails 1.

Don't

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Look, the PS now library is pretty barren after I play trails because I'm not a crazy person to try and stream action games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

the pokemon combat was the thing that made ni no kuni terrible

maybe 2 will be ok, then

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The story seems completely stand-alone, so outside of artstyle and with the change in combat, it might as well just be called Revenant Kingdom with NNK for branding purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ni no kuni was good