Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ofecks posted:

I'm playing Morrowind again (PC, lightly modded), but I'm being afflicted by choice paralysis and looking up absolutely everything on the wiki. That's probably not the right way to enjoy an open-world RPG, especially since I've not progressed very far in past playthroughs.

I feel ya. I dumped an ungodly amount of hours on that game way back when it came out, and coming back to it now feels like a much different beast. I finish with the paperwork, step out into Seyda Neen, and can't figure out what I want to do next. I clear out the bandit cave and just close out the game. Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yup! I'm not going to be using it for anything beyond PSX/Saturn era, but good to know about the 480p. I picked it up ~30 minutes ago and the guy I got it from started talking about how he used to just chunk the Sony PVMs. Gave the guy $80 for the JVC cause I didn't have to pay for shipping so maybe a bit on the pricey side, but still a fraction of what his 20" Sonys were going for.

Where did you get your SCART/BNC convertor from?

edit: I'm guessing for something that outputs native RGB, I can just build a BNC cable if I have the hookups yeah?

I got my SCART to BNC cable from wookieewin which I learned some people in this thread don't care for. But seems fine to me. You could build your own cable since the monitor only needs RGB and a clean sync signal.

Edit: 80 dollars ain't bad for 16". The premium cost the Sony's are saddled with is the brand, higher TVL count and the demand and such. I was very lucky to get my PVM-14L5 for 100 bucks from a nearby Craigslist pickup. A far cry from the busted one I paid twice that through ebay that was shipped to me in not great condition. I still have to muck around with it and see if I can salvage it.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 4, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

d0s posted:

holy poo poo dude just get a flash cart

I think you missed an important thing I mentioned many times in there oh crazy one. Wanting to own legal and legitimate copies of stuff. Which to be fair can be kinda silly or because spending money on even inferior emulation packages as folks mentioned as opposed to just free. But on the other hand flash solutions are just paying extra to pirate when one could just emulate all of it cheaper if not free. gently caress, a Cheapass 30 dollar Straight Talk phone from Walmart runs ps1 emulation at full speed. My 8bitdo FC controller cost more than the phone did. (By 5 whole bucks. Could have gotten it cheaper but buying on eBay from Chinese sellers can be a crapshoot in many ways.) Plus it fits in my pocket and can go to work with me when I want to play my weeaboo RPGs and wargames. It's almost like I am a big geek for robot games...

Different folks have different wants and needs when it comes to playing poo poo as opposed to hoarding them to show off. I just want reasonably priced stuff of all the genres I like and generally don't much care if it's on original hardware because I am cheap and lazy but also like flexibility in where and how I can play fun games.

I just try to do it legally as reasonably can be to the point of even importing Jpn only Saturn Sega Ages titles. And am continually confused at why anyone would pay close to a hundo for SMS Alf, or 200-300 for SMS Buster Douglas Boxing. (A game I got the UK non sport guy version of shipped for 20-30. And completed within an hour. It's... better than Rocky which was complete crap? Yay?)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I wanna play Windjammers IRL now.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

I think you missed an important thing I mentioned many times in there oh crazy one. Wanting to own legal and legitimate copies of stuff. Which to be fair can be kinda silly or because spending money on even inferior emulation packages as folks mentioned as opposed to just free. But on the other hand flash solutions are just paying extra to pirate when one could just emulate all of it cheaper if not free. gently caress, a Cheapass 30 dollar Straight Talk phone from Walmart runs ps1 emulation at full speed. My 8bitdo FC controller cost more than the phone did. (By 5 whole bucks. Could have gotten it cheaper but buying on eBay from Chinese sellers can be a crapshoot in many ways.) Plus it fits in my pocket and can go to work with me when I want to play my weeaboo RPGs and wargames. It's almost like I am a big geek for robot games...

Different folks have different wants and needs when it comes to playing poo poo as opposed to hoarding them to show off. I just want reasonably priced stuff of all the genres I like and generally don't much care if it's on original hardware because I am cheap and lazy but also like flexibility in where and how I can play fun games.

I just try to do it legally as reasonably can be to the point of even importing Jpn only Saturn Sega Ages titles. And am continually confused at why anyone would pay close to a hundo for SMS Alf, or 200-300 for SMS Buster Douglas Boxing. (A game I got the UK non sport guy version of shipped for 20-30. And completed within an hour. It's... better than Rocky which was complete crap? Yay?)

holy poo poo dude just get a flash cart

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

also please stop spreading misinformation, flash carts aren't the same as emulation and your 30 dollar walmart phone won't emulate a SNES perfectly let alone a playstation

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I wanna play Windjammers IRL now.

I got a copy of the MVS cart along with a Korean copy of Waku Waku 7 for about $250 and I never been happier with any other purchase I ever made. Windjammers is the loving best and I'm so sad DotEmu continues to get work to poo poo out bad port jobs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Scurge Hive is a great little game

You can play it on GBA or DS, and you should, since apparently no one else did

Well, bye

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Captain Rufus posted:

But on the other hand flash solutions are just paying extra to pirate when one could just emulate all of it cheaper if not free. gently caress, a Cheapass 30 dollar Straight Talk phone from Walmart runs ps1 emulation at full speed.

lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

Well, bye

It definitely flew under the radar. I don't think the DS version is worth seeking out over the GBA version as they're effectively identical, but if one is more accessible to you than the other go with it.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Caitlin posted:

Thanks eBay!

It even came in a case. :allears:

I wish you hadn't linked that because I ended up getting one of every lovely pokemon bootleg :v:

The Pokemon TCG 2 fan translation on the other hand is really really cool and I'm happy to finally have a copy on a real cart so I can put something else on my EMS flash cart. The label is extremely well-designed and everything so it looks like a totally legitimate NA release. I played the hell out of TCG 1 when I was a kid but we never got the sequel even though it's better in every way (aka there's a girl protag and more cards). Video game adaptations are the best way to play TCGs since you don't end up with boxes of expensive paper stacked in your house.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Well, bye

Can confirm. It's basically an isometric Metroid.

I got a copy free because the gamestop clerk got distracted when my girlfriend mentioned a preorder and he ended up just throwing it in the bag without scanning it. Thanks dude.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
When people say "tate" for shooting games, is it like rotate or kinda like "tah-tay" like the Japanese for "standing"? I ask cause I'm watching some retro setup videos on youtube and I've heard people say "this TV is 'tated" as if they are truncating the word rotated and it sounds really weird, as if they're a relic from the 90s or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's "tah-tay" but even the hardcore shmup nerds get it wrong all the time because (ro)tate is an easy assumption to make.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Charles Get-Out posted:

When people say "tate" for shooting games, is it like rotate or kinda like "tah-tay" like the Japanese for "standing"? I ask cause I'm watching some retro setup videos on youtube and I've heard people say "this TV is 'tated" as if they are truncating the word rotated and it sounds really weird, as if they're a relic from the 90s or something.

It means vertical :) https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/%E7%B8%A6

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's "tah-tay" but even the hardcore shmup nerds get it wrong all the time because (ro)tate is an easy assumption to make.

That's what I thought, every time I hear it I flashback to Capri Sun commercials.

Thanks! I don't play shooters/never seen the option in menus so I slipped up and mentally linked it to tatsu like I do sometimes with tatemono.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think Raiden Project was one of the very first console ports with a tate mode (there were some early 80's computer ports of very early arcade games which had it though), though the manual actually told you to not turn your TV on it's side, I guess the lawyers made them put this in:

The US release actually removed the mode entirely, which has happened quite a few times since with US releases of arcade shooters

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I think that the U.S. version of The Raiden Project still has the full-screen tate mode, but it makes you play it with side-scroller controls. Which is weird.

That manual warning with the Miclus dragon is technically stating that you should only flip your TV if it's designed for it. At least that's what a comment here says:

http://www.kidfenris.com/2016/03/the-miclus-moment.html

The relevant comment is the first one, from gsilverfish. I think the last comment is spam, so don't click the link.

Well, bye

Is there a version with strafing controls or another way to fire while moving? The lack of that turned me off.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A lot of games with Tate modes changed them in some way for the US release because they didn't want sued if you rotate your cheap CRT and the gun falls out and catches your house on fire.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I assume it was just a Sony thing. Sega didn't care, the tate modes for Gunlock/Rayforce/Layer Section/Galactic Attack (yes, all of those are the same game) and Gunbird 2 made it intact for their US releases. Not sure about the PS1 Namco Museums, I've heard the US versions had tate, but that would really surprise me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The PS1 Namco Museums do have Tate mode but they have a very big warning in both the game and the manual warning you to not rotate your screen unless you have one designed for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DqIkuXw4E&t=81s

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Neat. However, all the games with tate I had were for counter-clockwise monitor rotation (left side of the unit down), so I assumed that was the standard. Namco is special snowflakes

e: "Colecovision 1702 monitor" :psyboom:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 4, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Neat. However, all the games with tate I had were for counter-clockwise monitor rotation (left side of the unit down), so I assumed that was the standard. Namco is special snowflakes

e: "Colecovision 1702 monitor" :psyboom:

yeah that is pretty much the standard, even most arcade games flip that way though there are a few where you have to set the "screen flip" dip switch to get it like that, for who knows why. there's one really annoying exception that I have, konami's road fighter flips the wrong way (right side down) and has no dip switch to change it. when I want to play that I use a smaller TV because I don't want to be spinning my 27" wega around like crazy. gently caress you konami

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

yeah that is pretty much the standard, even most arcade games flip that way though there are a few where you have to set the "screen flip" dip switch to get it like that, for who knows why.

Maybe cocktail cabinets? I thought I read somewhere those were way more popular than uprights in Japan until like, the 90s. Apparently the little option ship in Slap Fight that comes out occasionally can be controlled by the 2nd player, according to the devs to give the person sitting across from you something to do while they wait their turn. Midway made a version of Space Invaders specifically for cocktail cabinets with 2P simultaneous - you could team up to kill the aliens, compete for score, or grief the other person by shooting them. loving genius.

I kinda want a cocktail cabinet. Someone should open a barcade that's full of those instead of lovely US uprights.

d0s posted:

gently caress you konami

:argh:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 4, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Maybe cocktail cabinets?

Cocktail mode is a different dip switch, that flips the screen depending on who's turn it is, because most cocktail cabinets (there are exceptions) have people sitting at either end.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

shyduck posted:

I wish I had a good place to display my Virtual Boy without worry about a cat knocking it over

You can display it at my house.

Last week my furnace went out and it was cheaper with my home owners protection to have a guy out than to buy a replacement ignighter (and I got a free thermostat so bonus). The furnace is in the unfinished part of the basement. And the finished part contains my game collection. "Careful not to step on the NES's on the stairs" led to a conversation that ended with his buddy having a VirtualBoy he was getting rid of. So, fingers crossed, I may get one for trade.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Well, it's too bad to learn that Twin Galaxies is now creep central and full of shitheads. I've been becoming more and more interested in classic arcade game high scores, particularly for Mappy, and had read this interesting thread from 2015 discussing the validity of the game's world record as submitted (tl;dr - some argue that the score isn't valid due to a modification made to the original Mappy board that allows the high score to be saved to memory even after the game is unplugged from the wall). In the end, the score was accepted as valid. Mostly civil discussion; lots of passive aggressive dogshit but that's internet discourse for ya.

Being that TG is now little more than a MRA/GG clubhouse, are there any other sites or authorities that people look to for high scores? Something less scummy?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Can one of you nice folks show me how a disc fits into one of those Universal Game Case thingies

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's little notch on the right side, you hook your disk under it and it just sorta rests there.

I wouldn't advise it, and my local rental store instead just puts their disks into a little jewel case and throw it in there instead.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

The tab in the spine of the case holds the disc down and it fits surprisingly snugly but I can't think of any reason to get a UGC over a cheapo jewelcase. Maybe if the disc you want to put in one was a longbox-only release and you have the manual as well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I hope this isn't a huge :can: for this thread but I expect it's probably the best place to ask and the OP says it's ok to talk about emulation here: If I'm using an emulator for playing a game on a 1080p LCD display, what (if anything) can I do to reconcile the fact that the setup isn't capable of displaying things that were meant to look a certain way on old CRT televisions?

Take for example an SNES game I'm playing called Dragon View, which uses the SNES hi-res mode to show vertical bars of fog to give a semi-transparency effect when the system is connected to blurry rear end TVs with blurry rear end composite cables. Normally I'm fine using raw output instead of filters of any kind, but this is really hard to look at:

I know the answer is "shaders and/or filters," and that's fine. In fact there's one that's specifically for blending SNES hi-res mode displays that I've been using:

The problem with that is that it blends all hi-res mode displays and this happens :gonk::

That leads me to the problem I'm running into with this setup. Obviously the above only works as intended for certain SNES games and if I want to see the same effect in the hundreds of Genesis games, for example, that make far more use of the technique I'll have to pick something else. I've also tried dithers but they have a lot of unintended effects (e.g. blending the EXP bar into a solid color in Dragon View). I don't really want to have to pick and choose different shaders depending on what game/system I'm playing, especially considering RetroArch's interface isn't really the greatest for flipping through directories all the time.

I guess the question I have is: Is there a single, catch-all way to do this for all games and systems: One that dithers or blends things properly without those unintended consequences? I'm guessing the answer is 'No' but I thought I would ask because I know the emulation and retro gaming scenes are full of crazy people that are dedicated to preserving the authentic experience.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I hope this isn't a huge :can: for this thread but I expect it's probably the best place to ask and the OP says it's ok to talk about emulation here: If I'm using an emulator for playing a game on a 1080p LCD display, what (if anything) can I do to reconcile the fact that the setup isn't capable of displaying things that were meant to look a certain way on old CRT televisions?

I guess the question I have is: Is there a single, catch-all way to do this for all games and systems: One that dithers or blends things properly without those unintended consequences? I'm guessing the answer is 'No' but I thought I would ask because I know the emulation and retro gaming scenes are full of crazy people that are dedicated to preserving the authentic experience.

A few pages back, My Lovely Horse posted a link to some posts by KozmoNaut going pretty in-depth into CRT style filters.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That reminds me that KozmoNaut recently posted a ton of good stuff on this topic in the obsolete tech thread. Too much to just quote here, but if you're at all interested, check his series of posts on this page.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Well, it's too bad to learn that Twin Galaxies is now creep central and full of shitheads. I've been becoming more and more interested in classic arcade game high scores, particularly for Mappy, and had read this interesting thread from 2015 discussing the validity of the game's world record as submitted (tl;dr - some argue that the score isn't valid due to a modification made to the original Mappy board that allows the high score to be saved to memory even after the game is unplugged from the wall). In the end, the score was accepted as valid. Mostly civil discussion; lots of passive aggressive dogshit but that's internet discourse for ya.

Being that TG is now little more than a MRA/GG clubhouse, are there any other sites or authorities that people look to for high scores? Something less scummy?

For arcade scores, Aurcade. For other stuff? I think the speedrunners are the go to, tbh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ptarmigans posted:

A few pages back, My Lovely Horse posted a link to some posts by KozmoNaut going pretty in-depth into CRT style filters.

Cool, I shot Koz a PM. Thanks :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Question: why do most WonderSwan games have such terrible sound? For a while I assumed it was just because the emulators were bad, but I'm starting to think it actually just sounds that way.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I learned a great tip yesterday that completely fixed my sound issue with my Gyruss cabinet: clean the sound pots with contact lens solution! Just dripped some on, moved the knob around, and the sounds of crackle/short-out quickly went away.

Now I can have Tocatta blaring like true :black101:!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm really into good CB/CIB nes games. It's expensive, but most games are still less than retail + inflation. That's how I justify my illness/hobby.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I've frequently justified purchases using the 'cheaper than original price' idea but never mixed in inflation. drat you. :retrogames:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I aim lower and use the "cheaper than buying a brand new current gen game" excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
At least it's not heroin.

• Locked thread