Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

And on a 3rd down he didnt set the edge and Aaron ran for the first.

I am hoping Graham gets a couple stuffs. I want to go to playoffs strictly for bragging rights to Tyler.

pretty sure he was held but I might be thinking ofna different play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Leper better fricken win or I am done my playoff hopes as well. Or maybe not, I dont even know.

Edit: with the exception of Tyler Division 2 has very low Points Against. Whats up with that.

idk, what's up with everybody in division 1 having low points for?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

idk, what's up with everybody in division 1 having low points for?

We are growers not showers.

But really. We have average PA while division 2 has much lower PA. Its odd right?

Sure, you all have amazing PF but low PA. Just weird how it works sometimes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ugh just two more points come onnnnn

that was half a tackle on the last play I think!

Ugh I think GB can kneel it out as soon as they get the ball, so I'm done and just hoping for stat corrections.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 29, 2016

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I wish I woulda started Tyreek Hill so I coulda broken 200

edit: Hill is the 11th highest scoring receiver in the league and I haven't started him once...that was a good $1 pickup. Gridiron Chefs has the 9th ranked receiver in Jamison Crowder at $1 after I cut him before the draft...that was a bad move.

e2: nvm I started him once - I cannot move him to my taxi squad to be stolen

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 29, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wish I'd started any of my recievers instead of Gates. Or started andy lee. Or kaep. :negative:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wide Receivers are so loving streaky. Unless you've got one of the big 10 or 15 everyone else is either 5 or 20pts right?

Also: Leper you just cost me a chance at playoffs (maybe?) :argh:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
playoffs start week 14 right?

I'm ready

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Week 13 is the last regular season matchups, and those are all in-division. Week 14 is the wildcard match - the three division winners have byes. Weeks 15 and 16 are the semifinals and the championship matches.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, well. There's only one game (mine) where stat corrections could change the outcome, so let's see where we stand, shall we?

pre:
Gridiron Chefs		141.99
Concord Concordes	140.66
In Division 1, the Chefs are one game ahead of First Down Syndrome. If they can beat the Titoons this week, they'll clinch the division title and a bye for week 14.
First Down Syndrome can still claim the division title if the Gridiron Chefs lose and Syndrome beats BALLS OF FURY: Syndrome has a 55-point advantage over the Chefs in Points For, so they will probably win the tiebreaker if it comes to that.
BALLS OF FURY is unable to win the division title, and also unable to compete for the wildcard match, so both BALLS and Titoons are down to vying for better seeding into the consolation brackets.

In Division 2, the situation is quite similar: the Second Round Kickers are one win ahead of Ash Ketchum, and they are not playing each other, so Ash needs the Kickers to lose, and also needs to win their own match, in order to get the divisional title; they have only a 20 point lead in Points For, though, so if that happens, the tiebreaker will be very close indeed. McLean and the Cougars are both 6-6, though, so with wins they can definitely vie for the wildcard game. Any of the 6-6 teams that can go 7-6 have very good shots at the wildcard match, although if the Concordes manage it, my Points For is in the lead for any tiebreaker.

Ash Ketchum will make the playoffs, though, and so will the Second Round Kickers: whichever one fails to win the division will still have at least a one-game lead on all of the other potential wildcard teams, with a minimum of 8 wins.

In Division 3, Brick Squad has clinched the division title. He is guaranteed a bye in week 14 and will play in the week 15 semifinals, finishing no worse than fourth overall in the league... but payouts only go to third (and "fifth" for the winner of the consolation bracket), so Brick still has work ahead.

Concordes (me) plays Brick this week, and while a win isn't necessarily required in order to grab that last wildcard spot, if I don't win, I also need all of First Down Syndrome, Team McLean, the Mediocre Cougars, and I'm Pretty Garbage At This to lose, and to win the tiebreaker by Points For. Which given the matchups is not impossible, but unlikely. So I probably need to win.
Garbage definitely needs to win, and to get help by all of the above losing, because his Points For are poor at just 1544: the worst in the league among teams vying for the wildcard slot. He's playing the Hawk Hunters, though, so he has a much easier match than I do, in theory. The Hawk Hunters are out of the playoff running, but like BALLS and the Titoons, he is still competing for seeding into the consolation brackets.

So that's where we stand, assuming stat corrections don't flip my loss into a win.

If I do manage to flip the match against the Chefs, the Chefs have a much harder time clinching division 1, due to being behind the First Downies in Points For, but if they win their matchup this week, would conversely be clinching the wildcard spot. Losing again this week could stick them into the messy potential fight for the second wildcard spot. Meanwhile, I would still be in jeapordy due to my very tough match this week, and the likelihood that Garbage advances to 7-6 this week.

I'm not counting on that, of course, and I'm frankly quite surprised I'm not eliminated from the playoffs now, but somehow all of my rivals for the wildcard spots managed to not gain ground. :shrug: good job guys.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Come on Titoons, you need a DE and then you can do it. I believe in you!

Balls of Fury: Dont bother looking at your lineup, you're all set. I've taken it upon myself to verify your lineup is perfect.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
cool story bro! I can't seem to muster 20 fuckin points with my gimp RB's so I think you'll be good. Hopefully Rawls will be good next year. My WR group isn't too shabby... except for the part where the cardinals throw 2 passes to Fitzgerald in the 1st quarter then forget about him the entire game. panicking palmer doesn't help matters either. have fun in the real playoffs, jackasses!

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
2nd Round Kickers notifying you of my intent to steal and start Noah Spence.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Swarmin Swedes posted:

2nd Round Kickers notifying you of my intent to steal and start Noah Spence.

gently caress you that's my beautiful baby boy. (Bucs fan here)

I will start him this week.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
So who wants to trade me an RB for Calais Cambell?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

So who wants to trade me an RB for Calais Cambell?

Campbell is the #9 DE/DT in our scoring, just behind free agent Ndamukong Suh. However, he's only that high because of his one monster game in week 5. If you average his other ten weeks' performance, he's doing 7.225 points a week, which would put him in 39th place.

http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/20...Y=points&TEAM=*

That's note exactly a fair way to evaluate a player, but the point is... there are plenty of free agent DE/DTs on the wire who have pretty much the same ability as Campbell. If you look down the list you'll see other players who had one or two big games but otherwise chug along getting four to ten points a week, with some highs and some lows.

I don't think you're gonna get a trade offer.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 30, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Leperflesh posted:

Campbell is the #9 DE/DT in our scoring, just behind free agent Ndamukong Suh. However, he's only that high because of his one monster game in week 5. If you average his other ten weeks' performance, he's doing 7.225 points a week, which would put him in 39th place.

That's note exactly a fair way to evaluate a player, but the point is... there are plenty of free agent DE/DTs on the wire who have pretty much the same ability as Campbell. If you look down the list you'll see other players who had one or two big games but otherwise chug along getting four to ten points a week, with some highs and some lows.

I don't think you're gonna get a trade offer.

Or maybe you're saying that so I drop him and you can scoop him up :tinfoil:

I won't be doing that until I need a roster spot or cap space. I do believe he is one of the most talented DLinemen in the league. He may be suffering a down year but so is the whole Cardinals team.

I'll admit that the fact that we bother with so few IDP slots devalues him but I'm still dropping a quarter of my roster before I drop him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If Keuchly doesnt play I am going to be down a defensive player. poo poo.

Please practice thursday :(

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I just looked at this from every position. It's pretty eye opening.

I dont even have a top 25 Fantasy QB.
8 and 27 RB
7, 17, 29, 32 WR
10th TE
2nd DE+DT
2, 4, and 22 LBs
7th CB+S

It's no wonder my team is putting up the points they are. Defensively I'm great. I don't own a QB worth starting most weeks. My RB situation is screwed. My WR's are not at all in the order I expected them to be, and Witten, my only TE, is like 45 years old.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp stat corrections actually lost me a few points, so the previous discussion re: standings, uh, stands.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I just looked at this from every position. It's pretty eye opening.

Yeah I get these urges to share stuff like this and it's really dumb of me because I think there's a minor competitive advantage to be had from figuring out how to look at the stats and find bargains on the waivers.

Then again most of my waiver pickups don't work out, so :shrug:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Are we almost in the 4th and Witten hasnt even had a target?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Fix your lineups:
Titoons

And thats the only team with a bye player. Others might be gametime decisions but thats not my problem.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 3, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Could I propose we change the second waiver ending at like 11:30am est on Sundays? I keep getting screwed with guys who end up going out on Saturdays. I seem to have 2-4 players that get down graded to out on Saturdays and once that happens there's NOTHING that I can do. I'm guessing it's screwed other people over once or twice too, but I haven't been keeping track of other teams very much.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. For me, having the waivers run Sunday morning means having to get up before football starts - even on weeks when football starts at 6 AM (in my time zone, Pacific) due to London - in order to set a lineup with guys that just processed. The main reason for a saturday waiver period is to give owners a chance to manage their teams by Saturday night.

My recommendation would be to pay attention to who is Questionable and have a backup plan. It's very very rare that someone is a surprise Out after Saturday practice that wasn't at least a Q all week.

But: if the league votes to move the waiver period, I won't stand in the way.

Another option would be to add a third waiver period? We could move the Saturday run up to Friday, and then run a third one late Saturday/very early Sunday AM.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You get to start drinking at 10am? You lucky bastard.

London games going away next year too, so no more 6am stuff.

The saturday thing might just be able to move back from 11am to 7pm or something as a compromise?

I havent had it happen to me, but with radio silence on Keuchly I just assumed he was out and placed waivers on saturday.

Its sometimes hard with defensive guys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-will-reportedly-be-adding-more-london-games-in-2017/

NFL london games will continue, and in fact go to four games from three this year. The Jags are contracted for London games through 2020, so I don't know where you heard they were gonna stop but they're definitely not.

I could live with a 7pm saturday run.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dont know where I heard that either. Cant find it.

Yeah, I have read them expanding, so not sure what my dumb brain thought when I wrote that.

Edit: You still get to drink at 6am.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Late Saturday would be better in my opinion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do not get to drink at 6 am, or 10 am either. Mostly because I'm old and my ability to tolerate alcohol has gone way down: I have to strategically decide when during the day to have my one beer, because if I go much past that, I often get sick to my stomach.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Pretty sure there's still London games, but they'll be at a normal 1pm est start time instead of the 9:30am start times.

I suppose late Saturday is better. I'd rather just go later on Sunday and make it 12:30 on Sunday. I get the time zone things, but everyone really should be checking their lineups before games for players that are game time decisions. I did it every week when I lived in the mountain time zone, and will be once I'm back in it next season. Any other league I can keep an eye on players and grab a player last minute if needed, but with the bidding we have that's not even possible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not comfortable with the idea that everyone is always going to be free immediately before the Sunday games begin. That's just not realistic. I have occasionally needed to deal with a game-time decision, but generally I set a lineup that I know will play. 30 minutes is far too short of a window, and actually even just two hours isn't enough in my opinion.

The function of the waiver wire is not to permit owners to wait until the last possible second and then still get a chance to make changes to their team roster. Waivers are competitive and intended to simulate the situation real NFL teams have to deal with - if you have a player who is a genuine game-time decision, you need to have a backup guy rostered who can play instead.

I'm OK with the idea of shifting the saturday waiver processing to a point after Saturday practices take place - occasionally a player might get injured during practice, for example, and it'd be cool to have at least a chance to react to that, especially for positions like IDP slots where you often have no other players rostered who could fill in. But, I'm strongly against a waiver period processing on Sunday morning.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
If we're doing Saturday we should do 11:59pm. Then west coasters can set their rosters at night and east coasters can set them in the morning.

I've been screwed a few times because players don't even get designated as out until after the saturday waiver so there's jack poo poo I can do about it. That's made me really uncomfortable sitting there not being able to do anything. We can't accommodate to everyone's schedule, but we should have it set so that we can set our lineups if we're actually paying attention. I've missed waivers before because I was busy in real life, but I'm not going to set rules around that because it's not fair for people who can/do stay on top of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

atomictyler posted:

I've been screwed a few times because players don't even get designated as out until after the saturday waiver so there's jack poo poo I can do about it.

I guess I'm still confused about this. Are you saying you've had players who were not designated as Questionable, suddenly be Out after saturday practice?

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I guess I'm still confused about this. Are you saying you've had players who were not designated as Questionable, suddenly be Out after saturday practice?

Yes, today that happened with Clowney.

Bennett hasn't played in like 5 weeks and every Sunday night/Monday morning he gets set to questionable. He's then set back to Out at some point Saturday night/Sunday morning. It's making it impossible to keep a full roster when the waiver time is almost always past when the designations get changed to Out.

Edit: This has been happening with all three of my DE's too. They've been switching to questionable and back to out past the waiver time. It's making it very difficult to submit a full roster for game time. I'm sure this isn't going to be a common thing, but it's something that could easily be avoided with the waiver being as close to the games as possible. I think Saturday at 7pm is still way too early because of how delayed some of the status can be in MFL. I've read players being downgraded to out and then sat here for a couple hours waiting for the MFL designation so I can move them to IR and try to get a player and it's been after the waiver every drat time.

Edit2: Screen shot of when Clowney was downgraded to Out and that he had practiced all week.

loving around with the message again:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5530/michael-bennett

Just go through all of his season this year. They knew he would be out because of surgery, but MFL kept switching him to questionable every week. MFL status changes can't be fixed, but allowing me to waiver after he gets set back to Out could be fixed.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 4, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Here's a case for making it Sunday, but the change could possibly be too even for a Sunday morning waiver.

"Lions want to see how WR Marvin Jones feels before today's game before making decision on whether he's active. Looked better at practice Fri"

practiced and they still might change him to Out. It's not a big deal when it's a single player, but I just happened to end up with all three guys that play the same position have this happen multiple weeks.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

If a player has dicked you around all season maybe you should replace them

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I would move it to saturday evening no problem.

Injury alerts trickle in all day Saturday and the guys who had a light practice on Friday get designated as Out midday saturday sometimes.

Defensive players have it happen more often it seems.

The Bennett thing that Tyler is fighting is the crappy NFL injury designation thing where the team has to put him as quesrionable to keep him on the roster, then out on sundays. They want him to play again this season so cant just send him to IR. MFL just takes a while to catch up sometimes.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Bloody posted:

If a player has dicked you around all season maybe you should replace them

It was all three of my DEs. A simple fix is to change the waiver time. There's a lot of status changes that happen Saturday (even Sunday morning, but less so), so I don't understand why moving it wouldn't be beneficial for everyone.

This hasn't been due to lack of effort either. It seems whenever I get a DE they get hurt and are always questionable until Saturday and then go Out. I really have been trying.

Bennett def out because of surgery.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 4, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Changing the waiver time will benefit everyone eventually.

What Tyler is doing will happen to everyone at some point. Leper has been doing it with Simms for two weeks now too.

If it was Julio doing this would the response be 'Just drop him if he is so much trouble' ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I just want to be clear; Clowney was listed as Questionable all week, and was downgraded to Out today. We aren't talking about players with no injury designation suddenly being Out... we're talking about injured players who are Questionable, but you preferred to gamble by not acquiring a healthy backup earlier in the week.

atomictyler posted:

Edit2: Screen shot of when Clowney was downgraded to Out and that he had practiced all week.

"Clowney was originally listed as Questionable after practicing on a limited basis all week" is exactly how Questionable players are usually treated. They get no, or limited practice. If they practice in full, then they'll probably play, but otherwise... yeah, it's a gamble to count on them and you should have a backup.

I generally check Rotoworld for all of my questionable players by thursday and if there's any chance the player won't play, I make sure I have a healthy backup to go, including waivering one for Saturday. This means I have to manage a healthy bench, including trading away or dropping players by saturday if I have no healthy backups. It means I can't stash as many lottery tickets for long-term play.

The argument seems to be that instead of having to do that, it should be fine to roster many injured, Questionable players, and then only have to actually drop someone when one of those Questionable guys is downgraded on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I disagree that this is necessary, but if the consensus is that it is, alright.

But. The later the waivers process, the more pressure it puts on every owner to be available right after waivers run but before games start, in order to rearrange the roster when you pick up or drop a player. Since it's FAAB, you can't be certain you'll get what you want: basically checking in is mandatory unless you did not submit anything for this waiver period.

This also means it's basically impossible to make a trade with another owner after the waivers process but before games start. I'm less concerned about that, but it's a factor.

SO I'm saying that in a league with no free agency period, I don't want to have to get up early every loving Sunday just to see if my waiver wire went through and I might need to shuffle players.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 4, 2016