Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Discarded rape kits add a lovely bouquet of aromas to grode jars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

vyst posted:

Discarded rape kits add a lovely bouquet of aromas to grode jars

"Reports are that head coach Art Briles secretly met with the dead dog's parents..."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Art will beat LSU and also bring back on-campus bonfire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wow, 5 year extension for Holgo according to the ESPN ticker

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Raku posted:

"Reports are that head coach Art Briles secretly met with the dead dog's parents..."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can't wait to watch my alma mater get their poo poo pushed in my a semi-professional football team in the SEC championship

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Wow, 5 year extension for Holgo according to the ESPN ticker

Rock and a hard place for WVU. Either they let a coach who just had a double-digit winning season go and they have to answer for that, or they have to break out the big bucks and bring back someone who's just as likely to bottom out and go 4-8 next year. Only good way out would have been if Holgo left for Oregon or somewhere like that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy if you're right.

I certainly hope he never coaches another down at any level, but I'm sure he will.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shut up, General Dog

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 4, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Pro tip on teams looking for coaches: stop loving hiring Saban assistants, it obviously doesn't work. Besides Jimbo Fisher I guess, what's the success rate on the Saban coaching tree? Like 1 for 8 now?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

an adult beverage posted:

Pro tip on teams looking for coaches: stop loving hiring Saban assistants, it obviously doesn't work. Besides Jimbo Fisher I guess, what's the success rate on the Saban coaching tree? Like 1 for 8 now?

I know the offense has been abysmal, but I wouldn't count Mac as a failure yet. He wasn't left with much to work with on that side of the ball and has had some unfortunate luck with QBs. He's still won the east twice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dantonio is a former Saban assistant and his defense is similar in a lot of ways. He's probably more of a direct Saban disciple than Jimbo, who spent a big chunk of his career working for various Bowdens.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dantonio is pretty solid in addition to it being too early to call McElwein or Kirby Smart a bust.

Apparently from something I read Jason Garrett and Dan Quinn count, if you want to add NFL guys.

e: Yeah the NFL guys really shouldn't count after looking them up, they were both just on his staff with the Dolphins.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think its more defensive Saban tree coaches, since Saban is so hands on the D, its easy to make them look good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
New report on Kevin Wilson which is...I guess interesting but at the same time kind of nothing as far as why he was actually fired.

Apparently in 2014/2015 they ignored a player's complaints about a back injury until his family took him to an outside doctor to have it looked at (along with the usual hardass coach insulting the injured player for not being tough enough, etc). That player eventually left the school after feeling that he wasn't being properly cared for and Indiana set up a meeting to try to get him to stick out the rest of the semester so it wouldn't hurt their APR scores, which is slimy enough for sure but I'd imagine fairly regular.

Indiana hired a law firm to set up an investigation into how all of that was handled. The investigation didn't find that anything was seriously wrong with the program but the AD set out some expectations and changes for Wilson to follow through with anyway. Apparently he did and everything was great until November, when something made the AD open another investigation...and then nothing in the article on what that investigation revealed, other than it caused the AD make the decision to fire Wilson.

That's a super short summary but gets to the meat of most of that report.

Oh ESPN has some more on it here. Looks like more injury complaints but all before 2015, so still no clue why he's fired right now.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 4, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/805194605645955072

Almost did it, Purdue

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

swickles posted:

I think its more defensive Saban tree coaches, since Saban is so hands on the D, its easy to make them look good.

Mac was pretty successful at CSU and inherited a really lovely situation at Florida (I remember reading something about only having 5 scholarship OL when he started). He might be fine in a couple of years.

The only abject failure I can think of from the Saban tree is Muschamp (though Kirby Smart isn't exactly trending in the right direction).

Hal Mumme has the most successful coaching tree of all time.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Rock and a hard place for WVU. Either they let a coach who just had a double-digit winning season go and they have to answer for that, or they have to break out the big bucks and bring back someone who's just as likely to bottom out and go 4-8 next year. Only good way out would have been if Holgo left for Oregon or somewhere like that.

lol, he's not likely to bottom out next year. we have the core part of this team coming back, with an actual quarterback in the wings in will grier.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Sab0921 posted:

Mac was pretty successful at CSU and inherited a really lovely situation at Florida (I remember reading something about only having 5 scholarship OL when he started). He might be fine in a couple of years.

The only abject failure I can think of from the Saban tree is Muschamp (though Kirby Smart isn't exactly trending in the right direction).

Speaking of Hal Mumme, why is no one in SEC considering bringing back the air raid? When Mumme tried it it was (relatively) successful, and I can't imagine that a more modern version wouldn't be a nice change of pace from all of the super conservative offenses in the SEC

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The last time we talked about coaching trees, it's hard to beat Frank Broyles (which is really Bobby Dodd) and Bill Snyder (Hayden Fry), although BEAR is up there and Bowden was really good too.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 4, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol, he's not likely to bottom out next year. we have the core part of this team coming back, with an actual quarterback in the wings in will grier.

If he's an actual quarterback why was he at Florida?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Democrazy posted:

Speaking of Hal Mumme, why is no one in SEC considering bringing back the air raid? When Mumme tried it it was (relatively) successful, and I can't imagine that a more modern version wouldn't be a nice change of pace from all of the super conservative offenses in the SEC

The SEC isn't really all super conservative offenses these days.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

big money big clit posted:

The SEC isn't really all competent offenses these days.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kim Jong Il posted:

The last time we talked about coaching trees, it's hard to beat Frank Broyles (which is really Bobby Dodd) and Bill Snyder (Hayden Fry), although BEAR is up there and Bowden was really good too.

Snyder's only real success now is Bob Stoops and I guess Bert. The rest flamed out.

Mumme has Leach, Sumlin, Kingsbury (kind of), Wilson (RIP), Sumlin, Holgerson, Dykes, Briles (RIP), Fedora and a few others I'm missing.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The SEC isn't really all super conservative offenses these days.

Yeah, it's just bad offense.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sab0921 posted:

Snyder's only real success now is Bob Stoops and I guess Bert. The rest flamed out.

Mumme has Leach, Sumlin, Kingsbury (kind of), Wilson (RIP), Sumlin, Holgerson, Dykes, Briles (RIP), Fedora and a few others I'm missing.

Was Mumme ahead of his time? He flamed out sorta quick but all of branches have stayed around

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

Ahem

Snyder, Stoops, and Alvarez are all way better than anyone in the Mumme tree and there's a pretty good argument Ferentz is too. Also Bert, Bo Pelini, Dan McCarney, Bob Diaco, Jim Leavitt....

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 4, 2016

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

I guess Bert.

10 PRINT "Ha Ha"
20 GOTO 10

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

In the NFL they say you shouldn't hire a Belichick disciple as they have almost all been abject failures. But then Saban is a Belichick disciple, and he was a NFL failure, and now my head hurts.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah, it's just bad offense.

Would that we could all score 40 points a game and give up 50 like the Big 12.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Would that we could all score 40 points a game and give up 50 like the Big 12.

It's infinitely more fun than anything Florida, Missouri, Vanderbilt, LSU, South Carolina, etc. have done anytime recently.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Ahem

Snyder, Stoops, and Alvarez are all way better than anyone in the Mumme tree and there's a pretty good argument Ferentz is too. Also Bert, Bo Pelini, Dan McCarney, Jim Leavitt....

Stoops's greatest successes have come with Mumme-tree OC's. Snyder tree needs a Mumme.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's infinitely more fun than anything Florida, Missouri, Vanderbilt, LSU, South Carolina, etc. have done anytime recently.

LSU had games where they scored 42, 45, 38, 38, and 54 points after they fired miles. Nine SEC teams scored more than 30 points a game (and LSU wasn't one of those, though they might have been if they'd fired Miles earlier). Only 4 Big 10 teams managed that. The ACC did better, with 7 teams that scored about 30 ppg.

There were actually a lot of really high scoring SEC games this year, and have been for the past few years. Every conference has some terrible teams with terrible offenses, but most of the west has pretty good offenses these days, and Tennessee put up a lot of points as well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah but LSU does it on talent not being horribly misused, Missouri does it by tempo and dropped passes!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Missouri's tending toward the score a bunch and give up a bunch game this last year. Like....at least way more than the other teams on that list.

Their main problem with the scoring a bunch part is a combination of the quarterback not hitting wide open receivers combined with the times when he does and those receivers drop the ball for no reason. At least the defense did their part for most of the year.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
as someone invested in teams in both conferences the sec doesnt have terrible offenses sans florida/LSU[lsu mostly fixed this after miles] but the big 12 sure as gently caress has just pants-shittingly awful defenses

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

LSU had games where they scored 42, 45, 38, 38, and 54 points after they fired miles. Nine SEC teams scored more than 30 points a game (and LSU wasn't one of those, though they might have been if they'd fired Miles earlier). Only 4 Big 10 teams managed that. The ACC did better, with 7 teams that scored about 30 ppg.

There were actually a lot of really high scoring SEC games this year, and have been for the past few years. Every conference has some terrible teams with terrible offenses, but most of the west has pretty good offenses these days, and Tennessee put up a lot of points as well.

It's not really about whether teams can score or not. Of course some teams can score, and the SEC in recent years has gotten much better about incorporating Meyer-spread elements into their offenses. But that's different from deciding to do something which no one in the conference does and thus few coaches are prepared to defend.

I'm mystified why teams like South Carolina and Arkansas, teams that will probably never be able to win the SEC based on talent alone, aren't taking more risks.

Probably the closest the conference has seen to a true Air Raid is what Kevin Sumlin is doing at A&M, and he beat Nick Saban on his first year here. You can't beat schools like LSU and Alabama trying to out recruit them. You have to look for other advantages.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
So is Nussmeier out at Florida or what? He sucked at Michigan and has been one of the worst coordinators in the entire country during his time at Florida.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LLCoolJD posted:

So is Nussmeier out at Florida or what? He sucked at Michigan and has been one of the worst coordinators in the entire country during his time at Florida.

I doubt it. I feel like we would have heard some rumblings at least.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

I doubt it. I feel like we would have heard some rumblings at least.

Mediocre recruiting, graduating/departing inherited defensive stars, and loyalty to a useless OC could cost McElwain his career. The SEC East won't be this weak forever. I know I sound entitled (I am) but I think it's the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Well well well

https://twitter.com/SBNationCFB/status/805439686915354625

• Locked thread