Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So if I want to cancel Directv Now even though I paid for 3 months I'm screwed? I assumed I'd play with it for a week then decide and I'd get a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wandler20 posted:

So if I want to cancel Directv Now even though I paid for 3 months I'm screwed? I assumed I'd play with it for a week then decide and I'd get a refund.

I'm pretty sure it's that way on the device deal to stop people from walking out the store with new device and promptly cancelling.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It is called pre-paid for a reason.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah. If you just want to test it out you can get the first 7 days free and then pay month to month (but you waive the Fire/Apple TV).

Also I forgot about getting the Apple TV at an ATT store. I signed up online instead. Oh well... they say 2-3 weeks to get it.

The iPhone app is pretty good so far. One thing thats nice is that since I'm on ATT I can watch wherever and not worry about data caps. Unlike Vue where you can't even watch most channels away from your home Wifi.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Which Fire do they offer?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stick

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That seems like a really raw deal compared to the AppleTV...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Yeah I'm not real sure why anyone would get that over the AppleTV. I mean you can walk into any store and get a fire TV stick for like 25 bucks with a coupon. I guess people just really hate Apple or something?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fuzz posted:

But you only have to prepay one month to get it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Apple TV is two additional pre-paid months. They are both good deals going by what each device costs retail and what you are committing to however if you try the trial and like it enough to start service you are technically better off just paying 3 months up front and getting the better device. This assumes you like Apple poo poo though.

Anyone can sign up for the 7 day trial to test it out; it even works (well) in web browsers if you don't already have a device. Then at the end of the 7 days you are given the same option to sign up for month to month, with both pre-paid options that include the device as well.

It's a pretty good deal and 7 days is enough to figure out if it works for you. If it does, then you are essentially getting either device for free in return for paying for some service up front, which presumably you'd be doing anyway if you liked the trial.

For myself I like it even though I only get one local (Fox) in Austin. Quality is excellent, streams start quickly, and the overall guide/look&feel is far better than SlingTV and even Vue. When they finally drop Cloud DVR in this will be pretty popular I think, assuming they can keep up with expansion.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
More information on Direct TV Now is coming out:

Someone posted local channel availabilty by market last page so I won't bother reposting that.

This page has a list of channels that currently support "72 hour rewind" (on demand) and also support long pause of live TV:

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/213360526-How-do-I-use-the-72-Hour-Rewind-feature-on-DIRECTV-NOW-

It is a surprisingly big list, actually, well known networks. Not quite Cloud DVR but this makes the service more appealing for sure (and yes, it is essentially the same "on-demand" channel support Vue and Sling have as well).

List of providers currently supporting separate, app-based logins for their services:

ABC, Disney, Disney Jr. Disney XD, WatchESPN, Freeform, HBO Go, and Max Go

Not as big a list as Sling or Vue (yet?) but it has the essentials I think.

The big item I see on that list is HBO. Adding it to Direct TV Now only costs $5/month extra (which I think is part of the lifetime promo deal) which gives you both live HBO channels AND HBO Go? That is the best deal for HBO out there that I know of by far. Having WatchESPN and the others is pretty good too considering that is built in to the $35 promo deal.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hotsauce posted:

Got the $35 promo and free Apple TV (in store). drat if this service isn't pretty incredible so far. As a cord cutter I'm very happy with it.

Ixian posted:

More information on Direct TV Now is coming out:

Someone posted local channel availabilty by market last page so I won't bother reposting that.

This page has a list of channels that currently support "72 hour rewind" (on demand) and also support long pause of live TV:

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/213360526-How-do-I-use-the-72-Hour-Rewind-feature-on-DIRECTV-NOW-

It is a surprisingly big list, actually, well known networks. Not quite Cloud DVR but this makes the service more appealing for sure (and yes, it is essentially the same "on-demand" channel support Vue and Sling have as well).

List of providers currently supporting separate, app-based logins for their services:

ABC, Disney, Disney Jr. Disney XD, WatchESPN, Freeform, HBO Go, and Max Go

Not as big a list as Sling or Vue (yet?) but it has the essentials I think.

The big item I see on that list is HBO. Adding it to Direct TV Now only costs $5/month extra (which I think is part of the lifetime promo deal) which gives you both live HBO channels AND HBO Go? That is the best deal for HBO out there that I know of by far. Having WatchESPN and the others is pretty good too considering that is built in to the $35 promo deal.

Ixian posted:

Apple TV is two additional pre-paid months. They are both good deals going by what each device costs retail and what you are committing to however if you try the trial and like it enough to start service you are technically better off just paying 3 months up front and getting the better device. This assumes you like Apple poo poo though.

Anyone can sign up for the 7 day trial to test it out; it even works (well) in web browsers if you don't already have a device. Then at the end of the 7 days you are given the same option to sign up for month to month, with both pre-paid options that include the device as well.

It's a pretty good deal and 7 days is enough to figure out if it works for you. If it does, then you are essentially getting either device for free in return for paying for some service up front, which presumably you'd be doing anyway if you liked the trial.

For myself I like it even though I only get one local (Fox) in Austin. Quality is excellent, streams start quickly, and the overall guide/look&feel is far better than SlingTV and even Vue. When they finally drop Cloud DVR in this will be pretty popular I think, assuming they can keep up with expansion.

Thanks to both of you for this. Hotsauce, did you have to pay sales tax when picking it up in store?

The free Apple TV pretty much has me locked in as a must try, but I'll admit that the thought of having all the channels plus HBO plus having the rewind feature for $40 pretty much nails it in as a three month trial. Probably will cancel Hulu, and I'll miss having no commercials, but if it really is bad, hey, it's only three months. :)

We are living in good times for cord cutters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The $5 for HBO definitely gives you access to HBO Go app.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I can't imagine that $5 will be permanent. I re-read their legalese last night and the $35 is clearly protected but they make no stipulations about any add on packages also being guaranteed, from what I can tell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe not. But it's not like I'm locked into a contract where I have pay an ETF or anything, so I can always walk away if that happens.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

Maybe not. But it's not like I'm locked into a contract where I have pay an ETF or anything, so I can always walk away if that happens.

That's true, plus I'd enough people cancel just the HBO part (assuming you can add/drop subscriptions without losing the core deal) it might incentivize them to either renegotiate another discount or offer another promo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

That's true, plus I'd enough people cancel just the HBO part (assuming you can add/drop subscriptions without losing the core deal) it might incentivize them to either renegotiate another discount or offer another promo.

Looking at the account page, it looks like it's the same as Sling and Vue. It's an add-on and can be dropped without affecting the primary plan.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
When I first read about it, before I signed up, I assumed it was a couple of their live channels, but it's all 5-6 HBO channels, including En Espanol looks like, and you get Go on top of that. For $5.

It's $15 extra on both Sling and Vue and I don't think they have as many of the live channels, though I could be wrong on the latter point.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just bought the "free" AppleTV with the DirecTV deal at an AT&T store. No sales tax, and it took me about five minutes tops. Now to get home and try it out!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Free stuff alert: Amazon just sent me an email and apparently as a Prime member, they're offering a free month of HBO (HBO Now, I would guess).

Edit: maybe not HBO Now, HBO shows up as a channel in the Amazon Video app.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 4, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Free stuff alert: Amazon just sent me an email and apparently as a Prime member, they're offering a free month of HBO (HBO Now, I would guess).

Edit: maybe not HBO Now, HBO shows up as a channel in the Amazon Video app.

No mention of Go and it's $15 a month. I wonder how DTV Now got such a good deal?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone who is using DirecTV Now on the Apple TV or Fire TV (not the stick) comment on which one would be better? Looking to replace all my Roku boxes with one of the two if we move to DTV.

We mainly live in Plex and Netflix now. For music I mainly use spotify.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ixian posted:

I wonder how DTV Now got such a good deal?
I'd assume they're just eating (most of) the difference and are either just calling it startup promo costs, or just ignoring it since they'll probably own HBO before 2017 ends.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Anyone who is using DirecTV Now on the Apple TV or Fire TV (not the stick) comment on which one would be better? Looking to replace all my Roku boxes with one of the two if we move to DTV.

I can only speak for the 1st gen FireTV, but I vastly prefer the ATV. The picture is better and overall UI experience is smoother and faster. Channel changes are instant, where on my FireTV there is a distinct pause as it loads the next stream. It similar for me when using Vue as well where only the PS4 matched the ATV in picture quality.

My only real bitch right now with DTVNow in general is no "last channel" function.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

they'll probably own HBO before 2017 ends.

Seriously. Ma Bell, 2017 edition. They are buying everyone...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh, it's more diverse this time, more vertical than horizontal, which has the potential of being even worse (lol rip net neutrality).

Of note, ATTs plan of acquiring Time Warner does not include getting Time Warner Cable.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FCKGW posted:

Well, I was never a huge fan of the Amazon interface, so I'd say the Apple TV. Just a note though, I just fought with it for 20 minutes trying to get past a "verification required" screen that required me to into the iTunes store and re-enter my credit card before I could do anything. Then I found the Require Password for Free Items/No function. :argh: I do love that the remote can control the receiver volume. That was always a small pet peeve when using the Roku 3.

So far, I like DirecTV Now. There are a LOT of movies available on demand, more than I expected. Maybe that's because I also have HBO? Not sure. Switching channels is relatively quick with the left and right swipes. The amount of channels that I'm getting for the price is nice. All I'm missing is NFL network.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Eh, it's more diverse this time, more vertical than horizontal, which has the potential of being even worse (lol rip net neutrality).

Of note, ATTs plan of acquiring Time Warner does not include getting Time Warner Cable.

Time Warner Cable was acquired by Charter earlier this year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up an Apple TV at best buy today to test out the DirecTV trial and holy hell is way more snappy and reliable than the first gen Fire TV stock I was testing with.

For some reason NBC is not available for streaming on devices, only web and in-app. Might be a deal breaker but well find out with a few days use.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm looking for a streaming device with the following options:

Must run HBO Go without issue
Plugs into the TV and sits behind it out of sight
Can install Kodi
Wired Ethernet is a plus

Currently use a first gen fire stick but HBO Go runs like poo poo on it and we use it constantly for sesame Street.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm looking for a streaming device with the following options:

Must run HBO Go without issue
Plugs into the TV and sits behind it out of sight
Can install Kodi
Wired Ethernet is a plus

Currently use a first gen fire stick but HBO Go runs like poo poo on it and we use it constantly for sesame Street.

Both the 4K FireTV and AppleTV 4 should meet your needs. Both have ethernet and HBO Go apps in their respective App Stores.

You can side-load Kodi if you have a Mac with Xcode on the Apple TV (will need USB C cable to connect to AppleTV).

Otherwise you may want the 4K FireTV and install Kodi using ES File Explorer.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ok, so I've played with DirecTV Now for a few hours last night and today, and I have to say, I enjoy it the best out of Sling/Vue/DTV. The UI is the best out of the three for me. I tested it on the AppleTV and the 1st gen FireTV. The UI is pretty much the same on both of those devices. A few initial pros/cons:

Pros:
Interface is fast to switch and load channels. I have 12Mb internet, and it loaded smoothly and relatively quickly most of the time, almost on par with satellite.
Plenty of channels in the Go BIg package, and HBO integrates nicely in the guide.
Lots of things for the kids to watch.
Swiping between channels and accessing the guide makes sense for the most part. Would be a nice plus if there was a dedicated guide button on the remote.
Getting a free Apple TV for less than the price of three months of service is pretty great.
The guide resembles a traditional guide from satellite TV, and is the best out of the three for me.

Cons:
Some channels are weirdly letterboxed, like CNBC World and a couple of the Nickelodeon channels. Haven't tried all channels yet.
Can't add some shows to the Watchlist for some reason.
No DVR.
No live TV where I live, but I use an antenna and Tivo anyway.
FireTV had a few hitches with no audio, so I had to reboot.
No NFL network or Redzone.
Does not appear to work on my Chromebook.

I'm debating whether or not to add Cinemax as well, but from what I remember, it was mostly the same movies as HBO except for the Skinemax stuff.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 4, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Does not appear to work on my Chromebook.

Make sure your ad blocker is whitelisting the site or turned off.

Jury is still out for me. For the most part it's positive. I'm not a fan of the weird LOUDER VOLUME THAN ANY OTHER APP HOLY poo poo TURN IT DOWN. Also the "you have too many active streams" is getting super annoying.

Even if I end up going back to Vue, I still got a great deal on an AppleTV.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

flosofl posted:

Make sure your ad blocker is whitelisting the site or turned off.

Thanks. I tried turning it off and my popup blocker isn't even on, but I still get this when I log in:

I'm using a new HP Chromebook G1, so unless I'm doing something else, I would think it should work. Maybe not. Works on my Surface though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks. I tried turning it off and my popup blocker isn't even on, but I still get this when I log in:

I'm using a new HP Chromebook G1, so unless I'm doing something else, I would think it should work. Maybe not. Works on my Surface though.

It should work but here is something I found so it's not just you

The sub forum for “Stream Troubleshooting” has more active posts than almost any other section of the site, and there are countless complaints about the service not working correctly on Mac, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Chromebook, Fire TV and Android devices. Basically, if DirecTV Now is available on a device, chances are at least some users with that device can’t get it to work.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

I have the FTV Stick 2 now to test from my brother in law and just got the ATV 4 promo box.

DTV Now works well enough on the FTV but side by side the ATV is better. As long as your bandwidth is up to snuff (i.e. it can reliably and consistently deliver 15+ Mbp/s) then the ATV should feel like an actual DTV receiver in most aspects, including channel change speed, stream start time, etc. The FTV doesn't let you forget you are using a streaming app. I actually have regular DTV as well so it's an easy comparison to make.

With that said, specs for the FTV Stick 2 are technically better in many ways - it uses a newer quad-core Mediatek 8127D whilst the ATV 4 has a dual core A8 ARM processor. However the ATV 4 uses a quad-core PowerVR GX6450 GPU which is slightly faster than the Mali 450 in the FTV (at least how Amazon has implemented support for it; the Mali is clocked higher by default but they appear to have underclocked it, probably for heat reasons) which matters more for video streaming. Also a lot of what makes the ATV 4 faster may boil down to it being easier to optimize apps for, meaning the FTV Stick 2 might catch up as developers get more used to it and the faster hardware.

A lot of Amazon apps still target the earlier generation FTV's for compatibility reasons, while the ATV 4 is the only version of Apple TV that supports their new (ish) app store/tvOS and thus everyone has built apps specifically for it and its hardware. In the end, lots of factors come in to play but I can say right now DTV Now is faster on the ATV 4, as is Plex.

The ATV also has a better (faster) Plex client that also looks very nice, though to be fair it's no slouch on the FTV Stick 2 either. Netflix is more or less the same on both.

At the end of the day though unless you are getting it just for Direct TV Now it really boils down to which ecosystem you prefer. If you are bought in to the Apple side (iTunes) then it is the obvious choice. Amazon is a little trickier because Amazon Prime video has been confirmed (or at least strongly rumored) to be coming to the ATV 4 some time in 2017 however right now if Prime Video is your jam then it is the obvious choice. If you like Kodi both require some form of sideloading however that is a lot easier to do on the FTV. Etc.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Time Warner Cable was acquired by Charter earlier this year.

..and it has been renamed to Spectrum (I pay my parents cable bill in San Antonio) as of a couple months ago. Hopefully this will lead to less online confusion around whether ATT is buying the cable provider or the content provider, which have been separate for years in spite of sharing the Time Warner brand.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I want a cheap solution to cast things like NFL Game Pass and mlb.tv in browser windows from my PC to my Samsung smart tv, is Chromecast the best option? Also, are there any cheap devices that can handle Kodi and 1080p video?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ixian posted:

..and it has been renamed to Spectrum (I pay my parents cable bill in San Antonio) as of a couple months ago. Hopefully this will lead to less online confusion around whether ATT is buying the cable provider or the content provider, which have been separate for years in spite of sharing the Time Warner brand.

There's still rolling that out. All my poo poo is still Time Warner branded and I'm still on their pricing plans. I hope that changes really quick because I have to do the 'don't jack my bill up 60 bucks for another year' dance.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Trillest Parrot posted:

I want a cheap solution to cast things like NFL Game Pass and mlb.tv in browser windows from my PC to my Samsung smart tv, is Chromecast the best option? Also, are there any cheap devices that can handle Kodi and 1080p video?

The FireTV Stick 2 is probably the cheapest device that can handle Kodi well (or more to the point, the cheapest/best supported device, you might get some knock off Android box for under $30 but I wouldn't want to use it); it does a really good job with it, though you have to still deal with sideloading. Fortunately that isn't hard on FTV devices, and the latest UI Amazon is just now rolling out means you can actually get the Kodi icon to show up on the main screen without having to resort to stupid workarounds like was once the case.

As for casting, probably Chromecast still, assuming they haven't come up with a way to block casting MLB.tv, etc. from browsers like they do with phones. Kind of a clunky way to do it.

MLB.tv and NFL Game pass both have native FTV apps though through Amazon, do the browser-based versions offer more content or something? If not it would make more sense just to use those, then you don't need to deal with casting poo poo.

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's still rolling that out. All my poo poo is still Time Warner branded and I'm still on their pricing plans. I hope that changes really quick because I have to do the 'don't jack my bill up 60 bucks for another year' dance.

Probably depends on region; in Texas they have been working on it for months, along with a bunch of commercials explaining the name change.

I was able to get yet another promo rate after the change. I'm getting tired of playing this stupid game every year where I have to threaten to cancel just to get a lower rate. Cable TV's business model is still as broken as ever and the day can't come soon enough when I ditch them. If DTV Now offered a way to integrate local channels via antenna in to their app (like Sling was trying to do, and maybe does now? Haven't kept up) I'd do it now, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wandler20 posted:

The pro move is to sign up for the free trial with one e-mail address, test out the service , and if you like it sign up from r the 3-month prepay with a different email address for the free appletv. That's assuming you already have a device that plays DirecTVNow though.