Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
yeah. a lot of them are decent designs and fit in perfectly fine, catalyst or whoever has reins over battletech lore seems pretty happy to adopt things from games into canon, I think even the weird case of the 55-ton centurion
was made official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sard posted:

No discussion of non-canon mechs is complete without this piece of poo poo..

Is that an elemental suit fighting whatever that other thing is.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Roughneck, hmn.

I iunno, something about this - the art style, the hands, the lowslung posture for punching - make me think that PGI may be making this as a periphery homebrew model for the battletech game, which uses :pgi: models.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Roughneck, hmn.

I iunno, something about this - the art style, the hands, the lowslung posture for punching - make me think that PGI may be making this as a periphery homebrew model for the battletech game, which uses :pgi: models.

Like I said, their art department is really solid so im 100% on board with them doing their own unique stuff.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TheParadigm posted:

Roughneck, hmn.

That is a solid theory, there are some industrial company logos on the mech which sorta suggests that it's a repurposed thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
New mech's lookin' good!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Anyone watch the MechCon presentation? Russ came out and immediately started sounding like a tremendous jackass. He made it sound like he was doing Harebrained Schemes a huge favor by giving them space. Uhhh, no, sorry Russ, hate to say it but when Battletech launches you're gonna lose a big chunk of you playerbase. People like Mechwarrior, and MWO just happens to be arguably the only modern incarnation of it on PC. Once another viable product ( :laugh: ) launches, they are going to go to what is clearly a more superior product. And then for some reason he also came off as a tremendous jackass to the rep from Catalyst Games too. Though to be fair, it seems like Catalyst don't know what the gently caress to do with tabletop.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
CGL is actively corrupt on top of being incompetent, so gently caress 'em.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So, PGI just announced Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries. It kind of looks pretty awesome...

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So can anyone give a run down on what they announced? I took a nap because those matches they were airing were boring as gently caress and I didn't want to waste my time watching them or listening to two idiots crow on about "map control".

Competitive MWO is a loving joke.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Skoll posted:

So can anyone give a run down on what they announced? I took a nap because those matches they were airing were boring as gently caress and I didn't want to waste my time watching them or listening to two idiots crow on about "map control".

Competitive MWO is a loving joke.

Quirks and Modules are gone. Now there are going to be skill trees for sperglords to flip the gently caress out at you for not running the most min maxed optimized build ala DOTA / League of Legends.

Protect the VIP game mode.

Assault is going to feature actual bases with objectives in them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
mw5mercs.com

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, MW5 looks and sounds baller as gently caress. This might be one of the all time comeback stories if :pgi: can pull it off.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They also announced a new version of community warfare where it is Clans vs Inner Sphere. Oh, and all the IS quirks are gone. Oh, and clans might also get the new skill tree.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Nalin posted:

They also announced a new version of community warfare where it is Clans vs Inner Sphere. Oh, and all the IS quirks are gone. Oh, and clans might also get the new skill tree.

So if all the IS quirks are gone, doesn't that make Clan everything unequivocally better?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Well I was not expecting this at all. Nice.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
What happens for all the MC folks spent converting mech XP to GXP after that grand XP refund into the 'legacy' pool?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

GaistHeidegger posted:

What happens for all the MC folks spent converting mech XP to GXP after that grand XP refund into the 'legacy' pool?

They get to feel bad for spending money to convert XP.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That Raven deserved to die for having a staring contest with a Shadowhawk.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not sure, but something about that city on a hill and the base layout coming out of the bay really makes me think of the hairbrained battletech alpha footage.

lame for the hawk being torsolocked by default tho. thanks russ!

I want to believe, skoll, but I just can't. The audio love is great though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

I'm not sure, but something about that city on a hill and the base layout coming out of the bay really makes me think of the hairbrained battletech alpha footage.

lame for the hawk being torsolocked by default tho. thanks russ!

It's a 500 year old chassis, half the mechanical fibres have probably locked solid.

I should know better but gently caress it, I'm excited.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

DancingShade posted:

It's a 500 year old chassis, half the mechanical fibres have probably locked solid.

I should know better but gently caress it, I'm excited.

Here's the rain for your parade:

AAA Games + Day One Dlc + Pgi's history of DLC decisions, a la steam.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys actually think PGI is going to do a good job on MW5? Noooooope!
Unless they fire that Russ jackhole its not gonna happen.
HBS' Battletech game looks rad as gently caress though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

Here's the rain for your parade:

AAA Games + Day One Dlc + Pgi's history of DLC decisions, a la steam.

Oh thank god. I just remembered Transverse. That was the Margaret Thatcher to my mental Penthouse centrefold.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hail Mechverse 2018. New title for thread, tia.

Also you're welcome. Its PGI. That means it is pooooo until proven otherwise.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
3015, glad to see more stuff taking place in the succession wars and not Clan invasion. Also wonder how they are going to bleed whales with a standalone game, other than like an expensive collectors edition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Apparently the trailer was different from what was shown at MechCon because Russ was actually playing it live?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

DancingShade posted:

That Raven deserved to die for having a staring contest with a Shadowhawk.

I was almost screaming at my monitor when the Shadowhawk just kind of turns around before firing on the thing again, like just hit it a couple times with that ac10 and it will crumple.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Pattonesque posted:

Apparently the trailer was different from what was shown at MechCon because Russ was actually playing it live?

Correct. What was seen on the stream was a live demo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004