Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
I know the DMCWO mod tweaks gun values and such, but I'm not aware of other mods offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good news: if everything goes well this semester, the new year will involve me working with some other modders for a partial statistics fix. A complete reversal isn't feasible, sadly- too much stuff across the game was changed, and the final product would make things really unstable.

UnknownMercenary posted:

If your main difficulty of play was Overkill, nothing has changed. Deathwish has basically made Berserker a requirement, but it's otherwise the same if you're a pro at cop clicking. One Down hasn't changed all that much but it's not designed to be a difficulty for regular play unless you're a masochist.

All difficulties were heavily changed. In particular, the default cap for the number of enemies on the map at once with 4 players is now 56. Pre-safehouse, the cap on DW was 44.1. The homogenization of spawns and readjustment of health and multipliers to flat per-difficulty has also changed a bunch of other things.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 3, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

All difficulties were heavily changed. In particular, the default cap for the number of enemies on the map at once with 4 players is now 56. Pre-safehouse, the cap on DW was 44.1. The homogenization of spawns and readjustment of health and multipliers has also changed a bunch of other things.

Oh I'm well aware of the nitty gritty of the changes, but from a player's standpoint I don't think they're going to notice that much of a change on Overkill, I guess except the disappearance of HRT units. DW and 1D are just a sea of tan cops and shield spam though.

Malek posted:

Deahwish was doable by a good team and myself with a M308 and a single head shot. Current 1 Downs, I pumped a number of rounds into an enemy and a skull-dozer should not require 2 RPG rounds to drop. Plus there's the nice fiasco of having to drop a clip of pistol rounds into a guard when he sees you if going stealth. That's not difficulty, that's bullet sponge. My original question stands (as I'd rather fix the problem myself instead of bitching about it.)

My problem was a 100+ damage weapon requiring plain tans 3+ head-shots. If I wanted to play that, I'd use that free code of "The Division" I had earlier.

(Slight Edit) Oh and armor being worthless at higher difficulties at 200+ dmg a bullet each. Yeah I know, dodge builds, but still.

There's been quite a bit of discussion here (and especially on the Steam forums) re: the current difficulties. Jules, the developer currently in charge, seems steadfast in his approach towards difficulty with the "non-casual" tiers basically requiring investment in a damage boost skill. This means Frenzy/Berserker, Specialized Killing, or crits of some form. Armor isn't worthless either, but it relies heavily on having invincibility frames, which means you take either Anarchist or Armorer. There are limitations for sure, and I have been campaigning to get the shittier aspects of the difficulty changed, but that doesn't mean it's unbeatable.

If you're dead set on it, I recommend looking at Deathwish Plus or SC's Mod. Although those come with difficulty modifications you may not like either. They're locked so that you can only play with others installed with the mod so bug your friends to install 'em too.
http://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=14384
http://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=17254

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 3, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh I'm well aware of the nitty gritty of the changes, but from a player's standpoint I don't think they're going to notice that much of a change on Overkill, I guess except the disappearance of HRT units. DW and 1D are just a sea of tan cops and shield spam though.

Sorry, I was missing the critical number for comparison; pre-update the max number of enemies on Overkill was 22. They more than doubled.

Edit: my favorite fun fact from OD is that a bunch of additional enemy subtypes (shotgun swat, several shields, Dozers with Saigas and LMGs) were designed, but are dummied out of the files because they can kill players instantly.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 3, 2016

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Also minor trip report, almost solo'd a Death Wish Mall Crashers and that was favorable but after going down I got kissably close to a Skull Dozer with a fully loaded RPG and pulled the trigger. 10k damage my rear end. It just knocked off one plate.

One Autism Down is still undoable and my 169 damage + Frenzy still takes 3 on a standard cop to down.

Mark this day but Vox is 100% correct and maybe it took me to see this lazy artificial way of difficulty tweaking that Overkill has done but he's right. His fan fiction could be a viable way of increasing difficulty and still retaining a doable challenge that is still fun.

This part is purely an ignorant opinion but I'm not in favor of Jules aiming to the non casual market and hitting the lower difficulties in proxy as that could hurt Payday in the sales figures. While not 100℅ towards this case specifically, YouTuber Tarmack made s grade video on "casual gaming" which I'll share here:

https://youtu.be/ihE0SWl2VQ8

As for Vox, let me know if I can assist with your project.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I forget, was it a joke or dead seriousness that the internals for 1D are literally labeled GitGud? :darksouls:

Something something Goldfarb.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

John Murdoch posted:

I forget, was it a joke or dead seriousness that the internals for 1D are literally labeled GitGud? :darksouls:

Jules is Goldfarb
Einhorn is a Man

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

John Murdoch posted:

A shame, considering Jules probably can't even 1D himself without exploits. Also we have 2 days until Sydney's charity ends. Her Mega Mask will be part of the game, but it'd be cool if you helped her charity out in case they give out a lot for aiding a good cause?

https://www.crowdrise.com/donate/project/24000-is-so-much-more-than-a-number/georgiavancuylenburg1/0

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Apparently my reputation is "I don't want to put him on ignore- he's a great poster as long as he doesn't start into Payday- he gets creepy intense". Enh, I can live with that. There are worse reputations to have, and there are people who go way, way deeper than I do.

Fun fact- Shields on OD should be extremely low priority. Originally they were developed with new weapons and damage, but the planned stats would have instakilled players so they were dummied out. Zeal Shields instead use the same damage and accuracy as enemies on Overkill.

On Jules and difficulty- I think one of the steam forum posters hit the nail on the head when they said that Jules conceives of Payday as a strict horde-mode co-op game in the style of L4D or Vermintide. Of course, a main feature in those games, which are both much, much simpler mechanically, is that all the basic enemies could only melee you...

John Murdoch posted:

The DLC package for the update files is indeed called "gitgud". Ingame, conditionals that code for OD refer to it as sm_wish.

Crabtree posted:

A shame, considering Jules probably can't even 1D himself without exploits. Also we have 2 days until Sydney's charity ends. Her Mega Mask will be part of the game, but it'd be cool if you helped her charity out in case they give out a lot for aiding a good cause?

https://www.crowdrise.com/donate/project/24000-is-so-much-more-than-a-number/georgiavancuylenburg1/0

Thanks for reminding me. It's unlikely to hit the target, but the money is still going to a good cause.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 3, 2016

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

pigeonchest bill posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ccmm20/

Add me if you're dtf (down to freemaskreceive)

Added you. Steam name is averox. I hope I'm not too late to the party.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's the hardest heist now? I remember at launch it was big oil because they could come in from everywhere, you had to run across a giant open space at a snail's pace, and had to hold out with no chance to pick up enemy ammo. And the whole math thing the first few times you played it.

It seems like it would be easier now with lots of ammo bags and guns that can one shot kill.

Maybe the biker heist, or the lovely armored transport ones, since they also have enemies coming from all sides?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Aftershock and Goat Simulator.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had forgotten Goat Simulator. I've only tried it the once, and that was on Mayhem with Shooting Blanks and two bad pubs. Never done Aftershock. Is that the Jimmy pack one?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd put Lab Rats, Goat, Biker and Forest at the top of the list, at least on OD. enemies having accuracy or damage over range really screws you on open maps.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had forgotten Goat Simulator. I've only tried it the once, and that was on Mayhem with Shooting Blanks and two bad pubs. Never done Aftershock. Is that the Jimmy pack one?

Aftershock is getting safes from armored cars. It came with last year's crimefest.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nah, it was a free Crimefest mission where you secure safes on a highway after an earthquake.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I still feel like a dick for that. We should have been able to do it but I communicated the objectives poorly and those pubbies were especially bad.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No problem. I might get some time tonight and I have a mic now, so we can communicate.

What's a good primary for a dodge build if I don't have chivalry or the John Wick sniper rifle? I've been using a short barreled Raven, but I feel like it would be a waste to go up both the pistol and shotgun trees. I've been using the White Streak with a standard issue silencer, extended mags, compact laser, and red dot sight and I'm loving it. I've been using suit dodge for now, since the dodge deck I have is rogue. I'm thinking maybe the GL40, but it seems so outclassed by all the other grenade launchers at this point.

Should I just do akimbo something?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 15, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No problem. I might get some time tonight and I have a mic now, so we can communicate.

What's a good primary for a dodge build if I don't have chivalry or the John Wick sniper rifle? I've been using a short barreled Raven, but I feel like it would be a waste to go up both the pistol and shotgun trees. I've been using the White Streak with a standard issue silencer, extended mags, compact laser, and red dot sight and I'm loving it. I've been using suit dodge for now, since the dodge deck I have is rogue. I'm thinking maybe the GL40, but it seems so outclassed by all the other grenade launchers at this point.

Should I just do akimbo something?

Good concealable shotgun primaries include the Raven, M1014, Mosconi, and the Izhma if you have the latest DLC. I personally like to have a 25 concealment primary (which the Raven hits easily, the Izhma with a point to spare, and the M1014 just barely) backed up by an HE Judge. You can put other ammo in the Judge - 000 and Flechettes work great if you'd rather have a second gun for general cop clicking, but I prefer the utility that HE provides even after the nerf. AP slugs is a neat idea, but the Judge lacks the accuracy to make it work well, I think. Maybe try Dragon's Breath? I haven't before.

If you bring a Mosconi, you'll probably want a concealable Loco to back you up, but they're both fun guns. I alternate which of those I put HE in, but I haven't actually tried that since the cop health buff, so you might want both without HE.

Also, if you do bring a shotgun with HE, I prefer using the Ex-President deck as the HE gives me a way to break my own armor and regen health.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd put Lab Rats, Goat, Biker and Forest at the top of the list, at least on OD. enemies having accuracy or damage over range really screws you on open maps.

Aftershock is getting safes from armored cars. It came with last year's crimefest.

Forest is not that hard. I've beat it a few times on 1d now. I would say that the first 5 minutes is make or break. After that it's pretty smooth (for 1d) sailing.

Pretty sure that hox break has to be up there in difficulty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Forest is pretty bad. I would say restarting is mandatory if you get the water pump instead of the helicopter hose. Hoxton Breakout is worse though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Forest is pretty bad. I would say restarting is mandatory if you get the water pump instead of the helicopter hose. Hoxton Breakout is worse though.

I'm sure that you would appreciate that the group I was with (including Vox :v:) one shot that map even with a water pump.

:colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm sure that you would appreciate that the group I was with (including Vox :v:) one shot that map even with a water pump.

Let's be fair, it was still really iffy in a number of places, we got lucky with a bunch of spawns and factors, and above all else, you had me to carry you :smugbert:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Cops get stuck in the river spawn if you're anywhere near the pump. The moment you walk away you'll get swamped by dozens of them.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So pirate perfection is still a thing? A Pubbie tazed three of us and downed us despite us being alone. Also all our ammo was gone as well.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

Cops get stuck in the river spawn if you're anywhere near the pump. The moment you walk away you'll get swamped by dozens of them.

I remember doing this accidentally with people. I was defending the pump the whole time and we were all going "Wow that was a light assault" and I had left the pump. Then we got swamped with cops who died.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

For those experiencing crashes when attempting to modify weapons

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah on one hand the helicopter is easier to keep going. On the other, the safest spot on the map is near a pump car.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ClonedPickle posted:

Good concealable shotgun primaries include the Raven, M1014, Mosconi, and the Izhma if you have the latest DLC. I personally like to have a 25 concealment primary (which the Raven hits easily, the Izhma with a point to spare, and the M1014 just barely) backed up by an HE Judge. You can put other ammo in the Judge - 000 and Flechettes work great if you'd rather have a second gun for general cop clicking, but I prefer the utility that HE provides even after the nerf. AP slugs is a neat idea, but the Judge lacks the accuracy to make it work well, I think. Maybe try Dragon's Breath? I haven't before.

If you bring a Mosconi, you'll probably want a concealable Loco to back you up, but they're both fun guns. I alternate which of those I put HE in, but I haven't actually tried that since the cop health buff, so you might want both without HE.

Also, if you do bring a shotgun with HE, I prefer using the Ex-President deck as the HE gives me a way to break my own armor and regen health.

I'll try the Raven and Judge for now. I'll try the Izhma next infamy, I think I need a discount on something to go with Drewjitsu's build he posted a few days ago.

What if I want to stick with the White Streak as my secondary? I tried using dual bernettis, but I was having a hard time hitting heads with them. Do the bullets come from the center, or do they have an actual convergence thing going on? For akimbo pistols do I just need to be using Trigger Happy, some type of armor piercing perk/skill, and aim for bodies? I'm going to try Interceptors next, since it seemed like sometimes I was landing one headshot with the bernettis but not a second one, which meant I couldn't 1-shot tans.

I feel like the Desertfox would be ideal, but I would need to wait for another sale to get the John Wick pack. Actually, it looks like that doesn't have as much concealment as I thought.

Do suppressed barrels get the same benefit of less concealment penalty and +1 concealment bonus as barrel extension suppressors? Also, do suppressors bringing your threat down to 0 mean that enemies don't care about you at all as long as there's someone else nearby, or do they just not hear the shots so they don't notice you? I've noticed that when using a suppressed gun I can just plink away for a really long time before anyone notices me.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 4, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll try the Raven and Judge for now. I'll try the Izhma next infamy, I think I need a discount on something to go with Drewjitsu's build he posted a few days ago.

What if I want to stick with the White Streak as my secondary? I tried using dual bernettis, but I was having a hard time hitting heads with them. Do the bullets come from the center, or do they have an actual convergence thing going on? For akimbo pistols do I just need to be using Trigger Happy, some type of armor piercing perk/skill, and aim for bodies? I'm going to try Interceptors next, since it seemed like sometimes I was landing one headshot with the bernettis but not a second one, which meant I couldn't 1-shot tans.

I feel like the Desertfox would be ideal, but I would need to wait for another sale to get the John Wick pack. Actually, it looks like that doesn't have as much concealment as I thought.

Do suppressed barrels get the same benefit of less concealment penalty and +1 concealment bonus as barrel extension suppressors? Also, do suppressors bringing your threat down to 0 mean that enemies don't care about you at all as long as there's someone else nearby, or do they just not hear the shots so they don't notice you? I've noticed that when using a suppressed gun I can just plink away for a really long time before anyone notices me.

If you're using akimbos and playing something harder than Overkill you should definitely have Trigger Happy, but you should still be going for headshots. I'm not really sure how to explain how to aim with them, just make sure you've got lasers on 'em and keep practicing. ADSing isn't really that important with akimbos, unless you want to zoom in a bit. Trying the Interceptors is probably a good idea; they're much more accurate than the Bernettis, and lately I've been kinda disappointed with the Bernettis' pickup rate anyway.

Yeah, the Desert Fox is a let down. If it had an iron sights option it miiiight be concealable enough, but as is it's a wet fart.

Suppressed barrel mods tend to work just like an average suppressor, yeah. I think the only weird thing is that the Valkyria's default barrel doesn't provide any bonus despite being integrally suppressed, but the cut-down version does. Low threat means your shots won't make cops dive for cover a lot, and I'm guessing your low aggro priority is mostly due to that skill in the suppressor tree + Rogue deck. I think, I've mostly ignored threat.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

So pirate perfection is still a thing? A Pubbie tazed three of us and downed us despite us being alone. Also all our ammo was gone as well.

I dunno if PP is still functional, but I do know that similar trainers exist.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ClonedPickle posted:

If you're using akimbos and playing something harder than Overkill you should definitely have Trigger Happy, but you should still be going for headshots. I'm not really sure how to explain how to aim with them, just make sure you've got lasers on 'em and keep practicing. ADSing isn't really that important with akimbos, unless you want to zoom in a bit. Trying the Interceptors is probably a good idea; they're much more accurate than the Bernettis, and lately I've been kinda disappointed with the Bernettis' pickup rate anyway.

Yeah, the Desert Fox is a let down. If it had an iron sights option it miiiight be concealable enough, but as is it's a wet fart.

Suppressed barrel mods tend to work just like an average suppressor, yeah. I think the only weird thing is that the Valkyria's default barrel doesn't provide any bonus despite being integrally suppressed, but the cut-down version does. Low threat means your shots won't make cops dive for cover a lot, and I'm guessing your low aggro priority is mostly due to that skill in the suppressor tree + Rogue deck. I think, I've mostly ignored threat.

Thanks. I guess I just need to get used to the akimbo mechanics.

Is it possible to pick and choose what shows up on WolfHUD? It's way too busy. Would PocoHUD be any better? Really the main thing I want is to be able to see my buffs and downs, along with everyone else's. Also the whole real name thing is annoying when I'm trying to see how much something is worth on the steam marketplace.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Poco lets you customize what shows up, I'm pretty sure Wolf does also. In pocohud you hit the backspace key and it brings up the menus, go from there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. Is there any way to report hackers? I just had someone noclipping and flying all over the place as host, which meant I got stuck in an inescapable enemy spawn point.

E: ClonedPickle, thanks for the interceptors recommendation. I used those a little bit and it worked much better. My ammo efficiency was terrible, but that's because I wasn't nearly as methodical with my shots as I should have been. I could tell that once I have Desperado and Trigger Happy I'm going to melt dozers with those, though. And the white streak with the red dot gives me some precision on the secondary.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 5, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

In Re: builds, here's some I use:

Anarchist Shotgun LBV with a Izmha and a Goliath, both with 000 buck and silencers.

Anarchist Fartgun LBV with a silenced Brenner and a China Lake.

Burglar Stealth used with a variety of silenced weapons.

Rogue One Down Ammo Man used with a cut down GL40 and 000 loco.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ran into some guy with mods or hacks or whatever that just straight up broke our run on Hoxout. Deployables wouldn't appear, Winters would never retreat, and this guy could spam the chat window a zillion times. When it became clear he fuckin broke everything everyone left.

edit: Unrelated: Guard pathing on Election Day seems fuckin' loco now. I'm seeing all sorts of weird poo poo. Blueshirt cops patrolling into the warehouse, tons of Gensec guys making in/out routes rather than mostly sticking to one zone, the check-in guard leaving the scene and then returning. What the gently caress happened here? Like I know blueshirts will path to a machine if they hear one but this guy was just actively moving around the map the whole time.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 5, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: Unrelated: Guard pathing on Election Day seems fuckin' loco now. I'm seeing all sorts of weird poo poo. Blueshirt cops patrolling into the warehouse, tons of Gensec guys making in/out routes rather than mostly sticking to one zone, the check-in guard leaving the scene and then returning. What the gently caress happened here? Like I know blueshirts will path to a machine if they hear one but this guy was just actively moving around the map the whole time.

This sounds like your standard Election Day, honestly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Did a hard drive retrieval recently, and rescued some thread gems that I missed:

(From Fellis)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

An article from a former Starbreeze employee on dynamic level design. He designed HoxBreak day 2. Nothing groundbreaking for us, but some insight into the design process and vocabulary at overkill.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Those are all normal ED features, sadly enough.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Discendo Vox posted:

An article from a former Starbreeze employee on dynamic level design. He designed HoxBreak day 2. Nothing groundbreaking for us, but some insight into the design process and vocabulary at overkill.
"Keycard economy" my rear end. I've lost count of how many times we get zero keycards. Only makes things take longer.