Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone who responded to me, I'll do what you all suggested (save my dil or turn it into zen when the time is right).

The main reason I asked about this is because it didn't seem a normal type of lootbox (I do know not to pay money for to open the normal ones especially with the hope of a ship) but this seemed a special one that just opened when I bought it which let me choose form a specific selection of things, plus one of the ships in it seems really good even though I imagine the chances are small (and becomes some really good hangar pets for my current ship if I own both), so I didn't know if I'd have another chance for something like this any time soon.

I'll definitely have to get the free ship from the winter event too!

I'm sorry I always seem to be making GBS threads up the thread with my dumb questions and thoughts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
No need to apologise, it's a rare pleasure to see the threat getting shitted up by someone who's actively playing the game.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

RoboJoe posted:

Thanks for all the advice from everyone who responded to me, I'll do what you all suggested (save my dil or turn it into zen when the time is right).

The main reason I asked about this is because it didn't seem a normal type of lootbox (I do know not to pay money for to open the normal ones especially with the hope of a ship) but this seemed a special one that just opened when I bought it which let me choose form a specific selection of things, plus one of the ships in it seems really good even though I imagine the chances are small (and becomes some really good hangar pets for my current ship if I own both), so I didn't know if I'd have another chance for something like this any time soon.

I'll definitely have to get the free ship from the winter event too!

I'm sorry I always seem to be making GBS threads up the thread with my dumb questions and thoughts though.
They're almost definitely going to re-run this event again later, so don't feel like you need to spend all your dil now. Like we've said, this is more for people who have already got all the upgraded equipment they want, but missed out on some older ships.

As for regular lockboxes, the rule isn't 'don't open them'. It's 'don't open them for ships'. It's perfectly fine to open them for lobi, since lobi is account bound and there are some items that can only be bought with lobi and can't be re-sold. But while you're still leveling and figuring out the game, that's not something you need to worry about.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
[12/1 8:21] [System] @Sub-Nagus Gooark is ignoring you.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Great news, you can now buy two time limited event ships for the low price of 3.8 million dil

https://m.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/5fy7gs/phoenix_drop_rates/

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I can't help but laugh at every "omg I opened 1000 boxes and got no ships" thread. Time once was, we'd get together and open 1000 boxes each back-to-back and I would get at least 6-8 ships. Of course, the fact that we were all doing it at once would nuke the transaction server, and then you'd see poo poo like all of us getting 2 ships each within the same 1-second interval, and the tears would start to flow.

Anyway, the point is that they are designed to pull your money straight out through your rear end in a top hat, and if you really want a ship, use dil to buy zen, use the zen to buy a 10-pack of keys, sell the keys for EC, and then use the EC to buy ships.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Preechr posted:

I can't help but laugh at every "omg I opened 1000 boxes and got no ships" thread. Time once was, we'd get together and open 1000 boxes each back-to-back and I would get at least 6-8 ships. Of course, the fact that we were all doing it at once would nuke the transaction server, and then you'd see poo poo like all of us getting 2 ships each within the same 1-second interval, and the tears would start to flow.

Anyway, the point is that they are designed to pull your money straight out through your rear end in a top hat, and if you really want a ship, use dil to buy zen, use the zen to buy a 10-pack of keys, sell the keys for EC, and then use the EC to buy ships.

[12/1 8:46] [Zone #39] Lana@starfallman: gently caress you STO gently caress you for telling me whenever somone gets a epic ship or prize token...dig that knife in

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Twelve Elves posted:

Great news, you can now buy two time limited event ships for the low price of 3.8 million dil

I'm glad of it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
OK, so the prize pool is actually limited - once enough of a prize has been won, they're removed from the prize pool. Doesn't seem to be anything preventing you from getting multiples of the same prize (other than, as noted, the limited prize pools). The ~usual methods~ for making pseudorandom numbers more pseudo and less random work. There's also a dice roll that wins more boxes, but you can't roll high enough to get it without resorting to skulduggery.

In wholly unrelated news, I now have eighty ostensibly quite rare ships and thousands of emotes I'll never use on an account I don't need.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The prospect of winning wasn't doing it for me, but the prospect of making others lose is tempting.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

IPCRESS posted:

OK, so the prize pool is actually limited - once enough of a prize has been won, they're removed from the prize pool. Doesn't seem to be anything preventing you from getting multiples of the same prize (other than, as noted, the limited prize pools). The ~usual methods~ for making pseudorandom numbers more pseudo and less random work. There's also a dice roll that wins more boxes, but you can't roll high enough to get it without resorting to skulduggery.

In wholly unrelated news, I now have eighty ostensibly quite rare ships and thousands of emotes I'll never use on an account I don't need.

Amazing. Let's do this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cryptic never ceases to amaze.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Elves posted:

I got a space Bad Dragon dildo for the low low price of about 200k dilithium in phoenix boxes.

I was only after those fancy tech upgrades and emotes so I consider that a win :toot:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Should I dump my dil to zen now, or d'ya reckon it'll drop more?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Should I dump my dil to zen now, or d'ya reckon it'll drop more?

Convert your dilithium into phoenix box tech upgrades. Or at least as much as you're comfortable parting with.

It'll come in useful when the next shiny ground upgrades become available and we all want to circle jerk with our gold bling in channel.

Or yeah buy zen, whatever. I doubt the price will be any better than currently for a while.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Which of the Rare rewards from the phoenix boxes would be the best to get? I guess the console or the admiralty ship?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The admiralty ship is super useful for someone just starting out. The console isn't very good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I picked the pink sparkle space pet.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
Turn it into two uncommon tokens, grab the shoo emote from the store and then walk up to strangers and spam the emote until they start raging or leave. Use your second token to get the airguitar emote so you can celebrate your victory.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
The Jester emote now loops. My life is complete and I can quit this lovely game at the highest point it will ever have.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nita posted:

The Jester emote now loops. My life is complete and I can quit this lovely game at the highest point it will ever have.

It truly is the best emote and better than any ship.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

With each patch, my game breaks in new ways.

I have transcended.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

AfroSquirrel posted:

With each patch, my game breaks in new ways.

I have transcended.

I'll have to admit that it looks pretty neat.

The latest patch seems to have messed up the dx9 rendering:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1225639/

Mikey posted:

Hey folks, we've received the reports that there's issues with Direct 3D9 and we're looking into a fix. The easiest solution - if your machine can handle it - is to upgrade to Direct 3D 11. As soon as we have more info we'll pass it on.
The option for Direct3D 11 can be found under the Display options.
Some report that they were able to fix the issue by lowering the graphics settings, while other players are stuck with floating wigs for the moment.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

AfroSquirrel posted:

I have transcended.

Starfleet Dental: Transcendant Smiles

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

So I'm back in for the first time since the Mirror event wound up. What are the most broken kit modules now you can take them to mk14?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Elves posted:

So I'm back in for the first time since the Mirror event wound up. What are the most broken kit modules now you can take them to mk14?

The same ones you already prefer to use because they can now be Mk 14.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

For ground combat as an engineer which kit abilities would be best for me to have equipped to use?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Turret, turret, turret, drone, drone, take a nap.

I mean there are more efficient loadouts, but for sheer style...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I feel that if you actually lower yourself to actually pressing a kit power activation button then you've failed at making your away team a bunch of murderbots who do everything while you're AFK.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I feel that if you actually lower yourself to actually pressing a kit power activation button then you've failed at making your away team a bunch of murderbots who do everything while you're AFK.

So that's why you always have so much free time to shitpost in here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mondian posted:

So that's why you always have so much free time to shitpost in here.

I've spent a lot of time shitposting and I'm very time efficient at it.

Also back in the day when I was grinding out ground accolades yes, I would literally do it AFK and macro free just by having my boffs do everything by clearing out each foundry wave without human intervention.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How am I gonna do that in an STF?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Buschmaki posted:

More importantly, how is the queue for your STF going to pop?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Buschmaki posted:

Be a tac, conjure up wave after wave of redshirt. Sit back and let the crimson horde handle the heavy lifting.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Basically I should mostly ignore using my kit powers and just run around auto-firing while my boffs do all the work? I did set up my away team like the wiki recommended too.

I just wasn't sure if there were any good skills I should have equipped in case I needed them (in STFs or whatever).

Also on the recommendation from when I asked about it I did buy myself a month subscription to get the extra bank inventory slots and the other things that come with it. When should I receive the 500 zen though? Because everything else seems active but I don't have that, unless I misunderstood something on the page explaining it.

One thing I'm confused about though, because I wanted to respec it says I'd get a respec token when I rank up, but I did some reading into this and apparently that's tied to those promotion missions when I hit 10, 20, etc. I'm 53 on this character now so does that mean no respec token at all?

Can I get one to use by levelling a different character or are they character bound?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
They are char bound so you're a bit boned there. The 500 zen arrives 30 days after the start of your sub. Also it'll probably default to auto renew and ding you for another $15 so be sure to go to their webpage and cancel the sub before the end of the month.

Ignore the people being glib about kit powers just ask in chat about what people are using.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
You might be able to find a old 2 month sub time card on ebay. They usually go for pretty cheap ($5-$10). That way you don't have to worry about credit cards and cancelations.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Burning_Monk posted:

You might be able to find a old 2 month sub time card on ebay. They usually go for pretty cheap ($5-$10). That way you don't have to worry about credit cards and cancelations.

Welp, I didn't know about this, and I've already bought it (it costs a lot more than that in the UK it seems so I'm glad I only really want to subscribe once). I guess if I do want to keep subscribing then this is good to know!

Lagomorphic posted:

They are char bound so you're a bit boned there. The 500 zen arrives 30 days after the start of your sub. Also it'll probably default to auto renew and ding you for another $15 so be sure to go to their webpage and cancel the sub before the end of the month.

drat, that sucks. I guess I'll have to buy a respec token at some point then. I did cancel the auto-renew already, I only planned to do it for one month anyway for the inventory and bank related stuff (and the respec tokens :( ) and to use the Zen on removing the credit limit permanently. I always seem to mess things up though!

Lastly, who would I have to talk to so I can apply for getting something out of the fleet bank?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
STO will no longer support DX9 or Windows XP as of March 2017

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1225790/updated-system-requirements-for-star-trek-online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's as though a whole bunch of dodgy players with antique burner computers all cried out at once and were silenced.

• Locked thread