Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

This was really interesting thanks for posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This dude owns a lot.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

IPCRESS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3YhpoGxzOw

Greatest hits of people pranging heavy equipment.

You should nms this cat snuff video.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fitnessgoals.mp4

holy poo poo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3YhpoGxzOw

Greatest hits of people pranging heavy equipment.

Huh, dead cats do bounce.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ol Standard Retard posted:

fitnessgoals.mp4

holy poo poo

His poor spine. I bet he used to be 6'4".

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0FVKIOQLoA

Radical!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i usually stick to passing methane bubbles

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

moist turtleneck posted:

I swear I've seen that same dude with the fridge and bike from another angle or day of the week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9fTxv4QM8

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 3, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

itd be fun is this was just one of those painted perspective things

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
That's a feature, not a bug

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

looks like Dodge Ram, so it's better off dead

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There was a serious fire at a party in a Oakland artist space.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fire codes exist for a reason department:
Yesterday a dance was held at an artists' space in a warehouse, the Oakland Ghost Ship. Because human occupancy, to say nothing of holding events open to the public, was illegal, there was (duh) no fire code inspection, no sprinklers, no marked exits. The second floor was reached by climbing up a stack of wooden pallets. As you can see from the pictures, the space was full of flammable objects, and walking through the space was an exercise in traversing a maze.

There was a fire. So far, nine people are known to be dead, but officials say there may be up to 40 total deaths.

reddit thread.

This sort of thing happens every few years, because complying with building codes and fire codes is both expensive and time-consuming.

reddit poster posted:

There was only one exit. I was on the top floor when the fire started, so I don't know how it got started. I distinctly remember thinking that this probably wasn't a big deal and/or that it was maybe a prank.

After the fire started I walked to the top of the stairs where there was only enough room for one maybe two people to go down at a time. At this point I still didn't think it was a big deal. It wasn't until a girl ahead of me came back up the stairs and yelled that "it's too thick everyone back up to the top." (This may not be exactly what she said but I'm this whole period is kind of a blur it's the gist of it however)

That was when I realized that this was very serious and that I was in big trouble. At this point I realized that my best shot at survival was to find my way down the stairs and and try and find the exit. My decision to go down was a coin flip at that point because I was terrified. The kind of fear I felt was not the kind of fear I have ever felt towards anything in my entire life. This was a primal sort of fear. I very much didn't care about other people making it out as long as I did at this point. Luckily I don't think I smashed into anybody or hit them on my way out. I completely lost track of my two friends during this time period to give an example of how one track minded I was. I feel really bad that I didn't care and I feel like I should have said something to all those people before I jumped down. Maybe give them a fighting chance if they realized that down was the only potential option for survival.

Bear in mind that the time it took for me to first see smoke and reach the top of the stairs before things got really bad was only like a minute.

So once I slipped and slid down the stairs keep in mind that these were the worst crafted stairs ever. (The first bit was like a ramp almost. And then the steps had varying heights sometimes almost coming up to thigh level. I'm 5'9 so while I'm not super tall that's enough for some of the steps to be way too tall for stairs.)

Once I made it down the stairs I tried to crawl to where I knew the exit was. I had a good general idea of its distance from me but I would have to find two doors and to try and get out. Even though I had an idea of where I was because of coming down the stairs the way I stumbled down basically made it so it's very likely that I wouldn't find an exit.

Once I was down there it was awful. I couldn't see or breathe. It was hot smoky and hard to focus. Thankfully at this point it wasn't so hot that I was burning just being there. There were other people crawling around on the floor too.

So I was down there and I was having trouble finding the exit. At this point I genuinely thought I was going to die choking on smoke in these horrid conditions. Part of this was definitely because the lower level is like a loving maze. The stair room had three different exits and only one would have been the way to outside.

So I had only been down on the floor for 15ish seconds. (Even though it genuinely felt like I was down there for eternity.) As I was down there blindly trying to find the door to get out I got really lucky. Some dude who had already gotten out stood right by the exit with all the billowing smoke and was repeatedly yelling "this is the exit" "exit." I can say without a doubt that that dude saved my life. If he wasn't there yelling I would have never found the exit and I probably would have died.

Once I got outside I ran into one of my friends who had been inside. He had been behind me to go down the stairs and had somehow gotten out in front of me. I was so happy that at least we had made it out.

The outside looked to me like a loving warzone. People were covered in soot and crying and hugging each other and screaming. Lots of people were calling out their friends names in an effort to find them. I just kind of stood and there and stared hoping that my other friend had made it out and that everyone would make it out safe.

Once I got out, only two more people made it out after I did.

In around five minutes or so the fire department showed up. by the time they reached the scene the entire building was in flames. For a thirty or so minute period I stood there waiting for the them to try and get people out in the vain hope that my other friend had made it out and that they would be able to get everyone out.

During this time period it really looked like the fire was starting to go down. And there was a chance of saving more lives. Unfortunately everyone's hopes were crushed when in the space of one second the fire got like three times worse. It started coming out the windows and the roof caught fire. I waited there for close to three or four hours hoping that we could get some information about our friend. I still don't know what happened to him or if he's even okay.

Also I should note that the building went up so fast. I'd have to say it was probably 3/4s on fire in under 3 minutes.

I'm really tired and the night is very blurry, plus i'm typing this on my phone so if there are any spelling/ grammar errors and the story isn't very coherent I apologize. I might have messed up some of the details as well. It's also very hard for me to talk about this but I still decided to because I think that my memory of the night is only going to get worse from here.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Yeah, that place looks like an utter fire trap.

Kennel posted:

Saving these for the future generations.

Also,from their Facebook page before the fire.

quote:

Hey gang, I know there's a lot going on both in our personal lives and in the greater context of the overall climate of everything seemingly going to poo poo - but if you have the time, I (and the other performers) would really appreciate if you could invite as many of your friends as possible and share this event on your page for maximum visibility.

quote:

the hair stylist for the rave cave salon has unfortunatley called in sick :*(
any qualified individuals feeling like filling in plz dm w pix of yer work!

and some random guy from Reddit.

quote:

I've been to the ghost ship. My first thoughts were of sheer amazement at the amount of random artwork they had lying around. Then I noticed the lighting. They were "borrowing" electricity from the neighbors to light up this huge warehouse. Wires dangling every where. At one point the electricity died, and I was trying to get around this maze using the light from my phone. Lots of creepy wooden sculptures and art made that feel like some sort of surreal horror. Eventually the lights were back on and I found my way up the rickety old staircase to the second floor. The stair case is literally for 1 person at a time. This led to an open space where the dj was setting up. If there were 30 people up there when the fire started, considering how everything inside is made out of wood or paper...yea that's totally hosed. I remember telling my girlfriend, who took me there, how that place was a giant fire hazard.

Edit: Look at those second-story windows.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7775651,-122.2268322,3a,51.7y,280.51h,92.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQLG_yLa1ERdZ_l-znbaw9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 4, 2016

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!

I don't even have a criticism of this. I'm just impressed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

There was a serious fire at a party in a Oakland artist space.

I immediately thought of the video of the NJ nightclub fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xaWMKBlw4

That video always leaves me unsettled. I wish they had shown something like this in HS health class, or college orientation. Maybe would have made me think twice about some of the places I stayed, like the one that you needed a key to get out the one door.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What's horrifying about those videos is that there's a very short timespan between:

• Hey! Ha ha there's a little smoke or flame there. What's going on?
  • Oh wow there's a fire somebody needs to put that out.
  • RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIFE GO GET TO THE DOOR NOW WHERE'S MY SON WHERE'S MY SON I CAN'T BREATHE I CAN'T BREATHE

As short as one minute like at the Station. The video from the Perm nightclub fire it looks like it was hard to gauge how quickly and far the fire was spreading because it was inside that area of the ceiling that acted like a tinderbox. Plus you get preheating effects where the fire basically doesn't spread out linearly, it can sort-of accelerate.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 4, 2016

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

'tis the season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdO1nFXGS0Y

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The station video really drills it home with the on-screen timing. It's already 30 seconds in when the singer says "That's not good" and about another minute people are as good as dead. gently caress.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
fire scary yo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's mind-blowing. 45 seconds from ignition to the entire room being a swirling firestorm.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

That's mind-blowing. 45 seconds from ignition to the entire room being a swirling firestorm.

The dry Christmas tree with an ignition source near the base is absolutely perfect. The sappy tree is an excellent fuel source, it has tons of surface area, and you get an effect where air is drawn up into the fire and hot gasses and flames preheat all the fuel above. All that in just a few seconds.

I heard about software that NIST made awhile back that would allow you to model the movement of smoke and heat in a fire. I think it's all computational thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDbsv62cu8&t=314s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it's a forest fire in your house

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watch out! An unsecured load coming for the China thread.

http://i.imgur.com/SG9Z3pN.gifv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you ever wondered why the western world has regulations on how far a load can extend past a truck's bed...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Axlerod posted:

The station video really drills it home with the on-screen timing. It's already 30 seconds in when the singer says "That's not good" and about another minute people are as good as dead. gently caress.

also how the real real killer isn't the fire or smoke necessarily, it's inadequate ability to escape. two of the deadliest fires in the united states - the iroquois theater fire (600ish dead) and the cocoanut grove fire (500ish dead) were because once the fire happened, people panicked and couldn't find their way out. hundreds of panicking people in a confined space makes for a horrible traffic jam, as many people end up crushed or smothered in the stampede as do die from smoke inhalation, suffocation, and somewhat rarely burns. when a panic situation happens, people tend to try to leave the same way they came in - even if that's like six rooms and hundreds of feet away, through smoke and freaking out humans - which is why well lit exit signs leading to fire doors are a huge lifesaver in situations like this. you can see this in the station fire video, as the cameraman too slooooly is sort of pushed out by a flow of humans, and not even 45 seconds later people are bursting through walls and windows in a big tide trying to get the hell out

people are heavy too, heavier than you think. one of the big causes of people dying in a stampede is those who fall to the floor beneath the crowd and are trampled to death, or even worse people who are pushed up against an immobile object and are crushed by the crowd of folks behind you pushing their way out. it only takes at most like 1400 pounds of pressure to stop you from breathing. that's like 9-10 average sized people pushing against your abdomen, or 6-7 americans

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 4, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
More information's come out about the plane crash that killed the Brazillian soccer team.

"Colombia Chapecoense plane crash: What we know posted:

A refuel stop in Bolivia had been planned. But the flight missed a stop in Cobija, in northern Bolivia, because the airport was closed at night, according to Gustavo Vargas, Lamia's director-general.

The pilot had mentioned the Colombian capital Bogota as a possible refuelling stop, but headed straight to Medellin.

A plane flying nearby had asked for priority in landing because of an emergency, minutes before the Lamia plane crashed.

As a result, according to reports, air traffic control told other approaching planes, including the Lamia flight, to fly holding patterns.

That's too bad, what was the flight plan?

Captain Postal posted:

This just popped up on reddit

note: total flight time (half way down) vs maximum endurance (at bottom).

Also, SLVR-SKRG is 1839mi, and the range of a (stock) RJ-85 is 1808mi

Oh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

boner confessor posted:

also how the real real killer isn't the fire or smoke necessarily, it's inadequate ability to escape. two of the deadliest fires in the united states - the iroquois theater fire (600ish dead) and the cocoanut grove fire (500ish dead) were because once the fire happened, people panicked and couldn't find their way out. hundreds of panicking people in a confined space makes for a horrible traffic jam, as many people end up crushed or smothered in the stampede as do die from smoke inhalation, suffocation, and somewhat rarely burns. when a panic situation happens, people tend to try to leave the same way they came in - even if that's like six rooms and hundreds of feet away, through smoke and freaking out humans - which is why well lit exit signs leading to fire doors are a huge lifesaver in situations like this. you can see this in the station fire video, as the cameraman too slooooly is sort of pushed out by a flow of humans, and not even 45 seconds later people are bursting through walls and windows in a big tide trying to get the hell out

people are heavy too, heavier than you think. one of the big causes of people dying in a stampede is those who fall to the floor beneath the crowd and are trampled to death, or even worse people who are pushed up against an immobile object and are crushed by the crowd of folks behind you pushing their way out. it only takes at most like 1400 pounds of pressure to stop you from breathing. that's like 9-10 average sized people pushing against your abdomen, or 6-7 americans

There was a similar situation in The Netherlands in a bar on new years. Someone set off some sparklers, which in turn set off the christmas decorations which were all over the ceiling. The decorations were pine branches and stuff and weren't fireproofed. After seeing that video you can imagine how quickly the entire ceiling was ablaze. The fire dropped to the floor and on the patrons below. Of course the bar was filled way over capacity and the fire escapes were inadequate.

It resulted in 14 deaths and 350 wounded. Of course numerous code violations were found in the resulting investigation.

Ironically the bar was named "Heaven".

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I read that at the Iroquois Theatre there were areas where the bodies were piled several feet deep and took hours to get separated.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

spankmeister posted:

There was a similar situation in The Netherlands in a bar on new years. Someone set off some sparklers, which in turn set off the christmas decorations which were all over the ceiling. The decorations were pine branches and stuff and weren't fireproofed. After seeing that video you can imagine how quickly the entire ceiling was ablaze. The fire dropped to the floor and on the patrons below. Of course the bar was filled way over capacity and the fire escapes were inadequate.

It resulted in 14 deaths and 350 wounded. Of course numerous code violations were found in the resulting investigation.

Ironically the bar was named "Heaven".

[video type="youtu"]9bKW7JkHKm8[/video]

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

If you ever wondered why the western world has regulations on how far a load can extend past a truck's bed...

Even just the flag at the end might've made a difference.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powershift posted:

Huh, dead cats do bounce.

lmao

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

RandomPauI posted:

More information's come out about the plane crash that killed the Brazillian soccer team.

That's too bad, what was the flight plan?

Oh.

looking forward to the air crash investigation episode on this one

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Even just the flag at the end might've made a difference.
A hard right turn on a multi-lane highway didn't help.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
maybe if they hadnt been playing soccer in the cockpit this would not have happened.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Axlerod posted:

The TV broadcast of the Bradford City Football Stadium fire of 1985 was used in fire service training to show just how quickly fires spread. In one of those terrible ironies, the stadium was an old wooden terrace style that had been condemned and was due to be demolished and replaced with something safer and more modern after the season finished. Instead, images of people with smouldering clothes flinging themselves over concrete barriers and a visibly distressed man on fire were broadcast live into people's homes.

You can see smoke in the top-right corner at about the 29 second mark, and people are moving quickly from the top of the terrace to the pitchside, but flames aren't spotted until about 45 seconds.

Four minutes later, the entire stadium is engulfed, 56 are dead or dying, and fives times that number are injured. Some people literally did not have time to move from their seats, but others died because they ran backwards and were trapped in the burning stand by locked turnstiles with no stewards to unlock them or guide people out. The man on fire at the 5-minute mark died in hospital. Many of the burn injuries were horrific, with one teenager saying "[I] looked down at my hands and they were bubbling like melting cheese".

There's a much shorter radio commentary that's cut short when the commentator has to flee from the flames.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
There's a book Killer Show about the Station nightclub fire that's also really good about how this kind of thing happens, and what happens afterwards.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

imagine if there was a fence in front of the stand like in Hillsborough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Protagonist posted:

What are the physical properties of slag like? It seems like you could make lovely bricks out of it or something.

Not sure if it applies to all types, but our accumulating wood burning heater uses components made from slag for the thermal mass, it weights 1.5 tons.