Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Some interesting snippet from an interview.

quote:

Realistic Link came back four years after Wind Waker in Twilight Princess, which was released on GameCube and Wii. The pendulum returned again to the realistic direction, but what kind of circumstances resulted in it?

Takizawa: To tell you the truth, we had begun the initial steps towards creating Wind Waker 2 around that time. However, demand for a more Ocarina-like game was growing by the day. We did our very best with Wind Waker, and put everything we had into it…

Takizawa: However, Wind Waker 2 would have taken place in a more land-based setting, rather than on the sea, so that we could have Link could gallop across the land on a horse. But Link’s proportions in Wind Waker weren’t very well suited for riding on horseback, he was too short, and an adult version of Toon Link did not seem appropriate either. So, while we were stuck on those problems, we became aware of the greater demand for a more realistic, taller Link. High-budget live-action fantasy movies were also huge at the time, so with all things considered, we decided to have at it. I was on board with the project as art director, and started off by bringing [Yusuke] Nakano on to do the design for Link.

So the project began with Mr. Nakano’s Link as the basis?

Takizawa: He had joined after the graphics testing process, when we were trying to figure out the game’s “product-level visual identity”. I think that was the first time we had ever brought him on during that part of development.

Nakano: Yes. That was the first time for an internally developed Zelda game.

Ergo, Breath of the Wild is Twilight Princess 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rexroom posted:

I'm sure it isn't, but I would play that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wouldn't really call Breath of the Wild's art style particularly realistic. Sure, it's moreso than Wind Waker, but it doesn't give me a Twilight Princess vibe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

It's looking more like its Wind Waker 2. A massive open world suffering through a past tragedy and having not recovered? They probably finally figured out what design style works for an adult Link/Linkle for high intensity action and motion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's Skyward Sword 2.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's The Legend of Zelda XIX.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's Breath of the Wild 1

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm glad it's less about "Where in the dumb timeline does the game take place in" and more "Who did who to make this dumb creature? Did someone mate with a Rito or an Ooccoo to make this new blasphemy against the goddesses or did they create this race themselves?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I like Zelda because the timeline is like the points on Whose Line.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MokBa posted:

I like Zelda because the timeline is like the points on Whose Line.

It's up to Drew Carey?

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
This game will be in the adult timeline, because of the footage that shows Link doing his taxes.

Do you still have to report rupees that don't fit in your wallet?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

coffeecup posted:

This game will be in the adult timeline, because of the footage that shows Link doing his taxes.

Do you still have to report rupees that don't fit in your wallet?

Link: If the amount on line 4 is "A lot! A lot! A lot!" then fill out form Milo-B? There's a whole sheet for earned income from pot-smashing and explosive bowling winnings. I'm going to go to jail for temporal manipulation of street vendor markets!

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
i hear it gets easier once Kass teaches you the Song of Forebearance.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The new game is just going to be called "Zelda" like all new major film reboots.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hyrule Revenue Service: Sir, we visited the location you claim is your bank, and it was a homeless man asking us if we had any insects to sell him.
Link: Uh... *donning Troupe Leader's Mask* My brother handles all of the money, sir.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
This takes place on the Zelda Time Cube.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuj9MkcZJIo

Good ol' thirty minutes out of four minutes of footage.

Though I do like the talk about how the bird guy in the trailer looks a bit more like a Loftwing than a Rito. I'm gonna go ahead and do a super dumb guess: the dude we see from the trailer is a descendant of Groose's Loftwing, and they have altars dedicated to him and Groose as great heroes that destroyed the big pickle with feet from Skyward Sword.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
A point worth considering from Supermetaldave64 about that gameplay video with Bill Trinen and co that was shown last week. The reason why the framerate looked choppy on that video might have more to do with the actual youtube video recorded at 24 fps rather than the game stuttering under it's weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOi3UG6yNgI&t=520s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Rexroom posted:

A point worth considering from Supermetaldave64 about that gameplay video with Bill Trinen and co that was shown last week. The reason why the framerate looked choppy on that video might have more to do with the actual youtube video recorded at 24 fps rather than the game stuttering under it's weight.

Not likely. The framerate's reliably better when the game is, obviously and logically, rendering less.

However, that doesn't mean much given the game's still being worked on. The recent video could easily have been just in a less optimized area (consider that many comparisons are being made to the E3 demo, which was probably a tightly-controlled area they sharpened the hell up), and that optimization is often going to be focused on parts of the game that you will not see. Volition have said, in videos on the original Saints Row, that it wasn't until very close to the code freeze that they got a framerate that wasn't rear end, because the work to make that happen is often very late in the development cycle.

Personally, I didn't even notice until people started bitching, and even then my interpretation can best be summed up as 'I guess?'.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Performance tuning is usually one of the last things that's done in a game development cycle.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Cleretic posted:

Not likely. The framerate's reliably better when the game is, obviously and logically, rendering less.

However, that doesn't mean much given the game's still being worked on. The recent video could easily have been just in a less optimized area (consider that many comparisons are being made to the E3 demo, which was probably a tightly-controlled area they sharpened the hell up), and that optimization is often going to be focused on parts of the game that you will not see. Volition have said, in videos on the original Saints Row, that it wasn't until very close to the code freeze that they got a framerate that wasn't rear end, because the work to make that happen is often very late in the development cycle.

Personally, I didn't even notice until people started bitching, and even then my interpretation can best be summed up as 'I guess?'.

Well, yeah. But if we're taking SMD64's account - and he has played the demo at E3 - then the talk about the game running mostly below 30 fps is based on a failure on Nintendo's part of not taking account of video framerate syncing or whatever you want to call it.

The bottom line though is that it'll probably run in 30 fps most of the time, save for some crowded moments. But we'll have to wait until 2017. Maybe.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really hope Tingle is in this game. Who better than him to chart out this gigantic world?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mabels big day posted:

I really hope Tingle is in this game. Who better than him to chart out this gigantic world?

literally anyone

Actually, since Tingle keeps getting reborn along with link, he probably has the Triforce of Love or whatever goes in the middle.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Tingle is the glue holding the Triforce together

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lobok posted:

It's up to Drew Carey?

Clive Anderson, in fact. That guy never clocks out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It is pretty regular for games to run at 12fps until the last few months of the dev cycle during optimization.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is pretty regular for games to run at 12fps until the last few months of the dev cycle during optimization.

Except the E3 demos didn't run at 12 fps.

Besides, aren't they currently doing localisation work at the moment?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
yeah, there's usually a scramble to optimize the small area to get it to playable framerates for an e3 demo. that slips as new content is added afterwards.

i don't think the game is content complete right now, so it's probably quite slow while they fix everything up.

treehouse does l10n while original devteam does final passes and optimization.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rexroom posted:

You mean the same YouTube video with the 60fps camera footage overlayed on top of the choppy footage?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jackard posted:

This is where all timelines converge??

Zelda Generations

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

s.i.r.e. posted:

You mean the same YouTube video with the 60fps camera footage overlayed on top of the choppy footage?

I'm no video expert, but 60fps and 30fps video feeds tend to mix relatively well. 24fps not so much.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think it's smart or fair to judge a game on framerate until it's actually being released. Doubly so if it's a multiplatform title.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

well why not posted:

I don't think it's smart or fair to judge a game on framerate until it's actually being released. Doubly so if it's a multiplatform title.

It's also a bit mind-numbing to read through.

"This game will be smooth" / "This game will stutter"

That's the entirety of the conversation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rexroom posted:

I'm no video expert, but 60fps and 30fps video feeds tend to mix relatively well. 24fps not so much.

24fps is 24fps no matter what, and mixing two different frame rates in the same video isn't going to effect one or the other. The game was just running poorly, rewatching the video of the game it actually looks less than 24fps as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

Except the E3 demos didn't run at 12 fps.

Besides, aren't they currently doing localisation work at the moment?

Demos often aren't built on the lastest version of a game's code but one or two behind that are known to be stable.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It will run between 0 and 1000 fps.

Now, on to the important questions - how many types of horses have been seen and can we have favourite horses? Are there tools to name, or even customise the horses?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

s.i.r.e. posted:

24fps is 24fps no matter what, and mixing two different frame rates in the same video isn't going to effect one or the other. The game was just running poorly, rewatching the video of the game it actually looks less than 24fps as well.

Here's the thing though: While the actual Zelda gameplay video Nintendo uploaded is a 60 fps video, you can see in segments with Bill and his friend that it's shot in 24 fps. Hence the suspicion that they dumped the framerate of the recorded game footage that ran in 30 fps to 24 frames to make it gel with the filmed segments at the expense of making the game looking particularly "framey". So it's not a question of 24 fps shown in 60 fps, it's about 30 fps video shown in 24 fps.

To underline further: 24 fps is fine for shots with motion blur (ie. movies), it's not fine for video games that do not have motion blur naturally. Without motion blur, the "frameyness" would be pretty obvious, because there's nothing to blend the frames together. (As an example, see this video with motion blur used on a 20 fps video.)

To summarize: Nintendo needs better video editors. The game looked good, though.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

well why not posted:

It will run between 0 and 1000 fps.

Now, on to the important questions - how many types of horses have been seen and can we have favourite horses? Are there tools to name, or even customise the horses?

I am pulling this from memory so someone correct me as needed:

The E3 2016 trailer shows Link attempting to climb one horse in a field of several. Between 2014 and now, I believe we've seen him on both a lighter brown Epona-looking horse, as well as the darker one which has been getting a lot of recent footage.

Personally I think it's implied any horse is eventually rideable, even if there's an official Epona.

As for horse naming and customization, none of that has been talked about. Actually it would fit what we know about the game if you had different breeds:

- some built for hauling your heavy gear / having a lot of mass to stand against enemy charges
-some leaner horses built for speed and travel but you cant be carrying a lot of items

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
i can't believe it's 20 loving 16 and we still have to rely on screens and frames instead of beaming games directly into our heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thanks alot assbag posted:

i can't believe it's 20 loving 16 and we still have to rely on screens and frames instead of beaming games directly into our heads

But what about all the Let's Play-ers? We'd need some kind of reverse beam of us playing the game back out of our heads!