Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Ok i'm loving stumped, can any goons offer any advise with this? or suggest a helpful airbrush forum?

Using a badger 105, so far i have tried:

Vallejo air brush primer - works for about a minute then the air brush clogs.
Vallejo white primer with a few drops of thinner - works for about a minute but then i get dry tip after a few times cleaning that i get a clog.
Vallejo white primer with a 1/5th thinner - way too thin

the clogs seem to build up over time and then the only way i can clear them for a bit is to engage the action at full blast with the needle fully retracted. I had a Iwata CS before this and I had nowhere this level of difficultly. I've been cleaning the airbrush after as the helpful video in the OP advised and it seems to be clean.

Is the Vallejo paint just super awful? is createx air brush paint a better option?

That's a bummer to hear. I have a Badger 105 on the way and I have Vallejo primer.

Currently I use an Iwata Neo with a .35mm tip. Vallejo black primer clogs after a minute or so, but the grey and white work with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, unless it's a special primer I'd stick to rattlecan primers. Their nature means that they are very thick paints (what with the goals of protecting the work from other solvents, filling imperfections, and accomplishing both without hot lacquer). They're dirt-cheap and lets you jump straight from priming to getting ready to paint the actual color.

My go-tos are the Rustoleum Painters' touch; a flat grey for standard painting, a gloss black for lacquer/smootg metal effects, and a flat white for brightly colored works will last you quite a while.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Floppychop posted:

That's a bummer to hear. I have a Badger 105 on the way and I have Vallejo primer.

Currently I use an Iwata Neo with a .35mm tip. Vallejo black primer clogs after a minute or so, but the grey and white work with no issues.

I may end up returning this one and just use the money for a Iwata

Neurolimal posted:

Honestly, unless it's a special primer I'd stick to rattlecan primers. Their nature means that they are very thick paints (what with the goals of protecting the work from other solvents, filling imperfections, and accomplishing both without hot lacquer). They're dirt-cheap and lets you jump straight from priming to getting ready to paint the actual color.

My go-tos are the Rustoleum Painters' touch; a flat grey for standard painting, a gloss black for lacquer/smootg metal effects, and a flat white for brightly colored works will last you quite a while.

Sadly I live in the hellscape that is the american north east so we get about a week of good rattlecan weather.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Yeah I have the same deal and I've wanted a second airbrush but ugh the Iwata neo costs almost as much as an entire tournament-sized Dropfleet fleet.

I don't have to prime that much so I can just clear the clogs as they happen I guess.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

I wrote a first draft of the Step-by-Step:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cT1xAa0Cigac--IN5Kdhxazao0PgUaa_3myIbAntCrA/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants i can post the whole thing here directly too.

I'll happily answer questions or go into more detail about particular things.

I'm working on custom telescoping bases, it's an antenna like TT suggested.

Clever idea with the antenna, and a nice tutorial

Q about the tamiya liner - I know it is used straight from the bottle, but can it be thinned and still behave the same way?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Sadly I live in the hellscape that is the american north east so we get about a week of good rattlecan weather.

Just brush on Vallejo surface primer. I primarily live in a humid area most of the year and that's my usual solution.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chill la Chill posted:

Just brush on Vallejo surface primer.

Always do this.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ezekiel_980 posted:

A garage is a good place to spray, since you can just open the door when you're done to vent the fumes. You could also go to a workshop/"hacker space" or whatever, since a lot of them should have fume hoods and such.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

A garage is a good place to spray, since you can just open the door when you're done to vent the fumes. You could also go to a workshop/"hacker space" or whatever, since a lot of them should have fume hoods and such.

This implies that I have one

I have made progress however, spent most of the evening tweaking things and now have found a mixture of primer and thinner that works for about 3 min before i get tip try so i think i can outsmart the paint and airbrush.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Ok i'm loving stumped, can any goons offer any advise with this? or suggest a helpful airbrush forum?

Using a badger 105, so far i have tried:

Vallejo air brush primer - works for about a minute then the air brush clogs.
Vallejo white primer with a few drops of thinner - works for about a minute but then i get dry tip after a few times cleaning that i get a clog.
Vallejo white primer with a 1/5th thinner - way too thin

the clogs seem to build up over time and then the only way i can clear them for a bit is to engage the action at full blast with the needle fully retracted. I had a Iwata CS before this and I had nowhere this level of difficultly. I've been cleaning the airbrush after as the helpful video in the OP advised and it seems to be clean.

Is the Vallejo paint just super awful? is createx air brush paint a better option?

Stop using Vallejo surface primer through an airbrush.

Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-B...YVQFB3AAWQQH7JZ

Goes straight through a Badger Patriot 105 without dilution. It's excellent.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 5, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Yeast posted:

Stop using Vallejo surface primer through an airbrush.

Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-B...YVQFB3AAWQQH7JZ

Goes straight through a Badger Patriot 105 without dilution. It's excellent.

Does this do the kinda shrink to fit trick that VSP does? I notice it's urethane based, and that's like the #1 thing I love about VSP.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

Does this do the kinda shrink to fit trick that VSP does? I notice it's urethane based, and that's like the #1 thing I love about VSP.

A little bit, yeah. It also doesn't have the weird plasticky feel that VSP gets. When I used VSP, everything was great as long as I didn't have to scrape or sand anything afterwards, if I did whole sections would peel off like rubber.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

A little bit, yeah. It also doesn't have the weird plasticky feel that VSP gets. When I used VSP, everything was great as long as I didn't have to scrape or sand anything afterwards, if I did whole sections would peel off like rubber.

That sounds incredibly nice, I know exactly the problem you're talking about and it's hellish

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Most cold lacquer primers should do the whole "shrink to fit" thing, since its a result of the solvents evening out large area of paint. The rubber peel sounds more like an acrylic art paint trait though, which is interesting; i could see it being useful for color tests.

Its really terrifying when you first use a gloss primer and one pass makes it look like you just filled in every single detail :v:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Do not buy a neo for iwata airbrush, they are garbage using the iwata brand, and not actually made by iwata.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm baffled by the 105 problems reported. Could it be something environmental? What's the temp/humidity like?

I'n in the uk and my 105 really lives up to it's ak47 of airbrushing reputation. I fire all kinds of crap through it without issue. The only time I've had drying issues like that was when doing a huge batch of metallic basecoating.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It might be the colder weather, I didn't have problems with the vallejo primer clogging it in the early fall.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Frobbe posted:

Do not buy a neo for iwata airbrush, they are garbage using the iwata brand, and not actually made by iwata.

I got mine for $30 and it's been worth it. I haven't had any real problems with it. Though I may be in the minority.

I now got a Badger Patriot, so I guess I "graduated" to a better airbrush.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

WiP shot of a Skavenblight Scramblers gutter runner! i'm very happy with the skin tones.

Floppychop posted:

I got mine for $30 and it's been worth it. I haven't had any real problems with it. Though I may be in the minority.

I now got a Badger Patriot, so I guess I "graduated" to a better airbrush.

I also have a Neo for iwata (came with my compressor as a kit) and it's great for learning airbrush maintenance and cleaning on... because you have to be so obsessive about it. and it loves to clog right the gently caress up with tip dry.
in comparison, my Badger 105 Xtreme Patriot is so far ahead it's not even funny, and tip dry is at least easy to remedy while working on that one

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Frobbe posted:

WiP shot of a Skavenblight Scramblers gutter runner! i'm very happy with the skin tones.

Dope. What did you use?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I'm baffled by the 105 problems reported. Could it be something environmental? What's the temp/humidity like?

I'n in the uk and my 105 really lives up to it's ak47 of airbrushing reputation. I fire all kinds of crap through it without issue. The only time I've had drying issues like that was when doing a huge batch of metallic basecoating.

I went for a 105 for the reputation of being indestructible and also :911:, so I am surprised its so much more fussy the eclipse was. I think a combination of my in experience and my apartment is bone dry (i've been enjoying nose bleeds daily for almost a month now) since we now have the heat going is causing a lot of my issuies, however with thinner and some other fine additives coming in the mail i think i can get it working correctly. And once Christmas is done raping my wallet I can order some of the badger primer and try that.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

mongol posted:

Dope. What did you use?

There's a nice guide in the latest White Dwarf, but the rundown is Rakarth flesh basecoat, Kislev flesh on top, wash with reikland flesh shade and then highliught with kislev flesh again. it also says to do an ultrafine highlight with flayed one flesh, but i think i'll leave well enough alone.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
Finished this test frigate for some jade scourge, i think it could work, but i think it might need to pop a bit more?

Apologies for the lovely phone camera

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

_Gumby posted:

Finished this test frigate for some jade scourge, i think it could work, but i think it might need to pop a bit more?

Apologies for the lovely phone camera

That looks fantastic as is to me

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leave as is, super pretty.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you want to spice it up a bit i think a gradual colour change on the fins would work nicely.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

What's a good extremely dark gray? Need to paint a lot of "black" soon.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I like Vallejo Model Colour German Grey a lot. I used it for that ship i posted as well as for Cryx back in the day. Start with black, shade into German Grey and then Neutral Grey.

Dr. Phildo posted:

Q about the tamiya liner - I know it is used straight from the bottle, but can it be thinned and still behave the same way?
I'll be experimenting with this for the next ships and report back.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It should behave about the same; its basically pre-thinned enamel. It might end up fainter or pool if you use too much though.

If you haven't used them before: you want a gloss or semigloss surface (you can matte seal after), load a brush and just dab the panel lines, some space apart from each other and on corners. As the paint sets capillary action will cause the paint to travel across the channels and stain them. After it's dried you can use a Q-tip dipped in the enamels' thinner or just lighter fluid to gently clean off the dab marks.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I went for a 105 for the reputation of being indestructible and also :911:, so I am surprised its so much more fussy the eclipse was. I think a combination of my in experience and my apartment is bone dry (i've been enjoying nose bleeds daily for almost a month now) since we now have the heat going is causing a lot of my issuies, however with thinner and some other fine additives coming in the mail i think i can get it working correctly. And once Christmas is done raping my wallet I can order some of the badger primer and try that.

Holy poo poo if the dry air is enough to give you nosebleeds that might well be it. That badger stynlerez (the name makes me so angry it's so loving dumb and hard to search for or remember) primer is really, really great.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I do all of the edge highlighting on my black stuff with Vallejo Dark Grey. If you're painting black fabric, I'll usually base with black, then do one highlight of 1:1 Black+Dark Grey, then one more of just Dark Grey itself. If I feel like it has gotten too light or the transitions are too visible (which happens sometimes if you're doing large areas), I'll hit it with a black filter. It's how this guy's cape was done:

Edge highlighting using straight Vallejo Dark Grey:

Please excuse my hasty brush work, I was going to the "Speed Painting" cheevo.

Her pants and "Day of the Dead" black were done the same way (Vallejo black, highlighted with 1:1 Vallejo Black and Vallejo Dark Grey). No filter, because the highlight areas were much smaller than the large, flat parts of the Black Templar's cape.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. Gonna check out some Vallejo grays. It's for all of my Aleph models. Thinking of going with a warm yellow for the lights on them but it might come out a little too Deus Ex: HR.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Thinner has a drying acccelerant in it, it will make your situation worse. use flow improver instead, it has drying retarder in the formula.

https://smile.amazon.com/Vallejo-Ai...jo+flow+improve

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yeast posted:

Thinner has a drying acccelerant in it, it will make your situation worse. use flow improver instead, it has drying retarder in the formula.

https://smile.amazon.com/Vallejo-Ai...jo+flow+improve

Have some coming in the mail already

Also my silentaire came in today, after dealing with the oily mess from getting dropped off upside down i just plugged it in and its quieter than a dorm refrigerator. also it came with a badger 150 which i may try out later this week.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was fortunate enough that the manager at my local Warhammer store was able to hold one of these guys for me - I painted the limited edition dude and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Cat Face Joe posted:

I always preferred to mix my own with the dark grey foundation (adeptus battlegrey?) plus chaos black. Once i found the ratio i liked i'd mix up a batch in an empty bottle.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Vallejo German Grey, Reaper Noir Black are both so close you can paint it as 'black' very easily.

Edit: Secret Weapon miniatures 'Tyre black' is also excellent.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not exactly miniature painting, but tangentially related: I picked up one of the HobbyZone painting stations and put it together this weekend. My wood glue was on the verge of turning into a rubber-like substance, so that was a pain in the rear end to get out of the bottle, but other than that, it went together pretty well. I am a little concerned about the size of the water cup holders, as they seem really, really small - I'll have to see if my go-to water cup will fit.

One thing I did discover though, is that the white melamine coating on the station is razor sharp along the edges. I was running my finger along a panel edge to clean off some glue and got about eight inches down the edge before I realized I was slicing off a nice layer of skin. I looked in horror at the flap hanging off my finger, and a second later, was rewarded with my circulatory system catching up with things - *bloop* blood everywhere.

It's been three days and my finger still starts bleeding if I bump into something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I am a little concerned about the size of the water cup holders, as they seem really, really small - I'll have to see if my go-to water cup will fit.
They're perfect size for disposable plastic cups.

quote:

It's been three days and my finger still starts bleeding if I bump into something.
Superglue it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Superglue it?

Miniatures Painting - My Other Supplies Box is a First Aid Kit