Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

endolithic posted:

Please recommend a cute fire pokemon tia

With no regards to actual usability

Chandelure (Well, Litwick is the cute part)
Oricorio-Baile

It's not cute per se but I have a 6 IV Incineroar so I could get you a 5IV one easily enough if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is there any way to breed or increase the likelihood of a pokemon having a certain hidden power type?

I lucked into an electric type HP for my yellow Oricorio, and she was one of my stars. However, my wife has also fallen for yellow Oricorio, but has not been able to get the same lucky find.

Also, what is that terrible clanging noise in konikoni-something city?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Beachcomber posted:

Also, what is that terrible clanging noise in konikoni-something city?

Percussion. I've unlocked the ability to change the music in festival plaza and that clanging is part of the track.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

AlphaKretin posted:

With no regards to actual usability

Chandelure (Well, Litwick is the cute part)
Oricorio-Baile

It's not cute per se but I have a 6 IV Incineroar so I could get you a 5IV one easily enough if you wanted.

I don't know why I didn't think of Incineroar, he was even my starter. Not especially cute, but he's a cat so it's acceptable.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Name me some good bug pokemon, I want to be Guzma junior.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mierenneuker posted:

Percussion. I've unlocked the ability to change the music in festival plaza and that clanging is part of the track.

It's a gong. They're going for a Asian-ish theme since it's an Asian-ish town.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tired Moritz posted:

All of them :v:.

fake edit: Joking aside, I couldn't possibly advise you on say, competitive bugs, but for story purposes I've had a lot of fun with Beedrill, Vivillon, Shedinja, Dustox, Leavanny, Crustle and Volcarona on various teams. Bug is a fun type to play around with.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tired Moritz posted:

Goliospod is making the rounds in the competitive scene, as I gather. If you're willing to count the UBs, they're obviously incredible, Pheremosa is even in Ubers.

For the other definitions of good, as in my favourites, see Paul Power's post. :v:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

A R A Q U A N I D

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ariados comes close to resembling usability with megahorn and leech life

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ruggington posted:

ariados comes close to resembling usability with megahorn and leech life

Don't forget the newly buffed Fell Stinger. Guzma certainly didn't. :stonklol:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what the gently caress is the deal with brutal swing? Is it just completely useless? A 60 BP move that hits both pokemon and your own in doubles. Great :geno:

Tired Moritz posted:

Araquanid
Golisopod
Ribombee
Scizor
Mega-Pinsir

Excluding UBs I think that's it for good bug Pokemon in Alola. Sadly Escavalier and Accelgor are not available.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 5, 2016

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Internet Kraken posted:

So what the gently caress is the deal with brutal swing? Is it just completely useless? A 60 BP move that hits both pokemon and your own in doubles. Great :geno:

Justified, I guess. Though that still sounds gimmicky.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm looking for any HA Dratini/Gible.

0448-0188-0523

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Internet Kraken posted:

Sadly Escavalier and Accelgor are not available.

Neither of these dudes 1. existing or 2. getting First Impression as an egg move is criminal.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Whoo, I made HA Beast Ball Fomantis with 4 egg moves a thing. I messed up half a dozen times in the process tho and have nearly 2 boxes worth to show for it. Pro-tip: catch a male in the beast ball to make your life easier.

Anyway, going to take a break now and I'll start working on the IVs later. I'll share my info when they are ready for your collections.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Emalde posted:

Neither of these dudes 1. existing or 2. getting First Impression as an egg move is criminal.

Maybe next gen, when the Pokemon it's a signature for isn't new and shiny any more? :shobon:

I said this exact thing about another move the other day and now I can't remember what it was, gently caress.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Internet Kraken posted:

Araquanid
Golisopod
Ribombee
Scizor
Mega-Pinsir

Excluding UBs I think that's it for good bug Pokemon in Alola. Sadly Escavalier and Accelgor are not available.

You can also get Venipede via Island Scan

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

+1 Mega Gyarados OHKOs Volcarona despite a Burn :stare:

This tactic of hitting things really, REALLY hard in the Battle Tree seems to be working out.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Onmi posted:

You can also get Venipede via Island Scan

This reminded me of a fact I frequently forget - they gave my awesome bug bro Speed Boost while I wasn't looking. I don't suppose anyone has a HA Venipede? I can offer the following:
  • Vulpix - HA, Freeze-Dry, Encore, Moonblast
  • Sandshrew - HA, Icicle Crash, Night Slash, Icicle Spear, Beast Ball
  • Beldum - Beast Ball, alright-ish IVs
  • Mareanie - HA, though I don't have spares on-hand immediately, I'd have to breed one.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Island Scan mons can't call in reinforcements, so while Venipede's available, its hidden ability isn't until it can be Banked up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shiny777 posted:

Island Scan mons can't call in reinforcements, so while Venipede's available, its hidden ability isn't until it can be Banked up.

gently caress. Well that's lovely. It's not even like you could abuse that to catch multiples. :mad:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Masuda method works entirely off the language you're playing in. You're good to get an English ditto and call it a day.

(If you want to confirm that, go find another spanish pokemon on GTS and notice it's not marked "ESP" :eng101:)

This is not correct. Masuda method works based on the languages of the games the two pokemon originally came from. If you get two Spanish mons and breed them together in an English-language game, you won't benefit from the Masuda method.

The language of the game you are playing in is relevant in as much as you have a ready supply of mons that are in that language.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure about this. Bulbapedia's page is confusingly worded and seems to suggest that there is an additional, hidden language tag that is different to the one displayed on the status screen.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 5, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So after taking 2 days to get a Magnemite, Abra and Gastly with the right nature, the cartridge was mistakenly taken out of my 3DS. I then realized I hadn't saved during that time.

:suicide:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Hammerite posted:

This is not correct. Masuda method works based on the languages of the games the two pokemon originally came from. If you get two Spanish mons and breed them together in an English-language game, you won't benefit from the Masuda method.

The language of the game you are playing in is relevant in as much as you have a ready supply of mons that are in that language.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure about this. Bulbapedia's page is confusingly worded and seems to suggest that there is an additional, hidden language tag that is different to the one displayed on the status screen.

Not sure about any hidden language tag, but my experience suggests that the visible language tag is what counts. I'm playing in English on a Japanese 3DS and using a Japanese Ditto to breed, and so far I seem to be more or less hitting the 1/512 that I should (6 shinies in around 3k eggs).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone else already complained about how you can only buy red clothes from shops in Sun? In moon you can only get red clothes by either A) randomly asking people in festival plaza if you can buy a random piece of their outfit or B) dying white clothes at a dye shop, which can only be gotten randomly.

It just kinda pisses me off because red is my favorite color.

I was also disappointed to learn of the clothing colour exclusivity as someone who wears mostly grey, blue, purple and green, but bought Sun.

I spent pretty much the whole game wearing pink and black.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So how do you get the Move Tutor to teach poo poo? I got my pokemon to five hearts and she still says it needs to be 'completely friendly' towards me, I call bullshit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pokemon amie affection isn't happiness

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

So after taking 2 days to get a Magnemite, Abra and Gastly with the right nature, the cartridge was mistakenly taken out of my 3DS. I then realized I hadn't saved during that time.

:suicide:

RIP

That is a good motivation to occasionally wonder trade tho, since you have to save before going online. The daily loto in the Hau'oli City also requires you to save.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

oddium posted:

pokemon amie affection isn't happiness

Really? What a pointless distinction...
where do you see happiness then?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Insurrectionist posted:

You don't.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tyblazitar posted:

Not sure about any hidden language tag, but my experience suggests that the visible language tag is what counts. I'm playing in English on a Japanese 3DS and using a Japanese Ditto to breed, and so far I seem to be more or less hitting the 1/512 that I should (6 shinies in around 3k eggs).
This is what I meant, since the original question was about whether the poster's DS language and physical cart language mattered. But I do appreciate the effortposts!

Cuntellectual posted:

...Synchronize? Just catch an Abra and breed shitloads until you get the right natures.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

HP
2 EV: Clefairy chain in Ula'Ula (Hokulani Peak)
1 EV: Caterpie in Melemele (Melemele Gardens)
I can guarantee this list isn't optimal, firsthand.

...Caterpie in Melemele Gardens can call Butterfree, which don't give HP. Caterpie on Route 1 (behind the Tauros rocks) can't. That's all I got :shobon:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Welp

At least it was a fairly pointless move long-term so no big deal

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There is a npc in third island last town that will check hapiness, next to the Masseur.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Insurrectionist posted:

the friendship between a trainer and monster... how can it be quantified

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
woah, they gave Ariados a free sword dance upon evo and a new unique useless move? nice. Could at least buff its attack/defence more tho

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I signed up for the first VCG17 Reddit tournament. Better buckle down and start practicing. So far I've discovered my team had no answer to Torkal. Waterfall on Gyrados is 3hko which is unacceptable. Trick room teams seem super strong in general really. I'd never attempt to breed a 0 IV team but for showdown it's worth exploring

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Speaking of friendship, PSA for any other dummies out there: Meowth loses Pickup when it evolves

Persian seems really cool with Fur Coat, how are people using them?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Speaking of friendship, PSA for any other dummies out there: Meowth loses Pickup when it evolves

Parting Shot shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

A lot of people are running Persian with Z-Parting Shot. The Z effect fully heals the pokemon switching in.